Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74

Thread: Trading Up?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    324
    Iím all for trading up with in reason. Letís face it we have 12 picks and Iím guessing on average most teams only have 6-8 players drafted make the team. That thatís 4 picks we can deal to get players we want. Someone mentioned moving up to 3 for young, thatís not within reason. No way can we put that much stock into a player who will only touch the ball 25% of the game. Moving up from 28 to 23 for Shane ray is a totally different monster. I personally hope we can get a Thomas or Kinlaw at 15 and move to 32-36 range for reagor. That would be value to me. Reagor is being touted as a fringed 1st rd WR and Iím not confident he will be there at our pick in the 2nd round.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrick44 View Post
    Iím all for trading up with in reason. Letís face it we have 12 picks and Iím guessing on average most teams only have 6-8 players drafted make the team. That thatís 4 picks we can deal to get players we want. Someone mentioned moving up to 3 for young, thatís not within reason. No way can we put that much stock into a player who will only touch the ball 25% of the game. Moving up from 28 to 23 for Shane ray is a totally different monster. I personally hope we can get a Thomas or Kinlaw at 15 and move to 32-36 range for reagor. That would be value to me. Reagor is being touted as a fringed 1st rd WR and Iím not confident he will be there at our pick in the 2nd round.
    i would go like 28-32., for a guy like Hamler or Raegor. see if we can get one of those with the fifth year option

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i would go like 28-32., for a guy like Hamler or Raegor. see if we can get one of those with the fifth year option
    My first thought was 28 because of that same reason that 5th year is so valuable but wasnít sure if
    it was too high. Still wouldnít mind it.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    10,307
    Simmons, the CB from Ohio St or an OT.
    If the price was affordable and within reach... I would sacrifice a couple picks.

    I prefer trading down and accumulate draft capital for next year, when Lawrence is coming out. This is Drew Lock insurance.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i would go like 28-32., for a guy like Hamler or Raegor. see if we can get one of those with the fifth year option
    Curious if 5th year options will even be a thing after the next cba and will these players be grandfathered in

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Obviously no one in the draft is a sure thing, but Young is rated higher than exceptional rushers that have come out recently. Miller is obviously a great player and there is history, but he is on the wrong side of 30. Give me a 22 yr old with 5 years of team control with a higher ceiling at this point. Our whole draft wouldn't be mortgaged as it would only include our first and second with Miller. we still would have three 3rds and 2 4ths. It would make us younger and cheaper without a dropoff (IMO) in play.
    Replace that 2nd rounder with one of our 3rds and I'm in.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Curious if 5th year options will even be a thing after the next cba and will these players be grandfathered in
    Sounded like they were still an option plus league's will potentially have the option to tag on that 5th year as well

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,384
    I am all for Burrow bailing on Cincy, that will flip this draft upside down and big time talent will fall. I am big on Okudah and Simmons and I have to think that one of the 2 will fall far enough that Denver might have a shot at him

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I am all for Burrow bailing on Cincy, that will flip this draft upside down and big time talent will fall. I am big on Okudah and Simmons and I have to think that one of the 2 will fall far enough that Denver might have a shot at him
    This is the only scenario I would be excited for other than drafting Ruggs @ 15. { If Wirffs is the pick @ 15...that wouldn't upset me either } Okudah or Simmons would be

  10. #55
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    This is the only scenario I would be excited for other than drafting Ruggs @ 15. { If Wirffs is the pick @ 15...that wouldn't upset me either } Okudah or Simmons would be
    If either Okudah or Simmons falls below 8 or 9 Elway and company need to decide why they aren't already on the phone making a deal. Those 2 guys are dynamite.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Curious if 5th year options will even be a thing after the next cba and will these players be grandfathered in
    I could be wrong but this is the last year of this cba right. So these guys should have the fifth year option after this class who knows. But I believe this one should cause it will be a signed contract

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    34,513
    All these scenarios to consider. And to fully understand the draft strategy, we have to get past FA. In ways I want things to speed up at this time every year, but I also love watching The Combine, FA and then The Draft....in that order and with duly amounts of attention to each. Even the Franchise Tags are interesting.

    That is why all these threads we share are speculative to a high degree, but fun...because we get to be GMs from a distance, and try to peal away at what we know for sure, and what we have to wade through, and anticipate as best we can. Plus we often have different perspectives on what we want to look like as a team, and with differing priorities by position/player.

    Now, having said that, a true GM does get to influence the future, by being proactive in various ways. There are many ways to get to where you want to be. Say you want specific positions filled with higher quality players, you can do that via FA or The Draft. FA is the almost for sure way, but you often have to pay for that. The Draft can provide long term assets that you can groom to be a perfect match for your team/organization, and who will be more likely to be loyal.

    That is why, for me, even though I want a quality Oliner over a quality WR, or CB, or perhaps ILB (or whatever)….I am good with getting there in various ways. I'd love an OT in FA to allow us to go big time on one of those talented WRs. But say we go WR in FA, I'd be quite happy to add a WR in round two, because the depth of the class is so deep!

    Which leads me back to the topic, Trading Up. This year I do not see it, but I actually can see it, once I uncover the layers of the offseason. If we position ourselves well in the positions of need, and a stud falls close to 15, I would be cool with trading up. Just as long as we do not give up too much draft capital. But sure, say we have a decent FA, and we get one of those amazing opportunities to land a super talent, who fell for the right reasons (lots of QBs taken, along with key need selections by some teams....dropping a stud just before us).

    So, if Elway and the group play their cards right, I say we can maximize opportunities, almost any way we proceed. My key point is this, that you do not have to covet positions or players, at certain points, if you can add value another way....and still pretty much get what you were looking for when the dust settles.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-25-2020 at 12:33 PM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,741
    The more I think about this the more I believe Denver is going to trade back. If for some reason Denver is not sold on Ruggs, I am going to make the prediction that Denver trades back with the Eagles. We land their 1st and 2nd giving us 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Living in Philly, I am always hearing about how the Eagles are going to be high on this guys but may be out of their reach.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,581
    Given our pick count, trading up is more likely than trading down.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    The more I think about this the more I believe Denver is going to trade back. If for some reason Denver is not sold on Ruggs, I am going to make the prediction that Denver trades back with the Eagles. We land their 1st and 2nd giving us 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Living in Philly, I am always hearing about how the Eagles are going to be high on this guys but may be out of their reach.
    Cecil Lammey just said today the Broncos are aiming Henry Ruggs. He said Ruggs had a formal meeting with the Broncos last night and Ruggs also said that it went well. To get Ruggs, theyíll probably have to move up and with the ammunition of draft picks in their pocket compared to other teams, they can.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •