X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karenrise
    Practice Squad
    • Feb 2020

My Dad, a former Bronco - still around - not much time left- Johnny Joe Pyeatt

Hello,
    Can anyone direct me to the right contact so my Dad’s story can be told? Dad was born in 1933.

He is Johnny Joe Pyeatt, played for the Denver Broncos 1960-1961. I believe he may be one of the “oldest” surviving Broncos and probably one of the “oldest” former football players around. Dad has attended many of the alumni events in Denver and remains a “hard fast” Bronco supporter. Dad has terminal cancer, doesn’t have much time, and he has great stories.

Dad was a cowboy on the cattle ranch (Clemans Cattle Company), a police officer and played for the Denver Broncos. While in the US Navy he was recruited by the Canadian Football League (Calgary Stampeders) and while at their camp was recruited by the Washington Redskins but ultimately traded to the Denver Broncos.

My Dad has the original pay stub of his salary with the Broncos, $7,000 and I believe my parents used the money to buy a home – crazy how you could buy a home for $7,000 back in the 60’s.

Dad has great stories, i.e. driving from his hometown in Florence, Arizona to pick up a someone in Las Vegas and both drove to the training camp in Denver. He says they would work out 4-5 times a day, would watch bus loads of potential players being dropped off at the camp. Then it was just the two of them, he and his teammate – waiting for the “word” of who would stay and who would be cut.

Awhile back my husband asked my Dad, “Hey what about this big controversy with concussions?”. My Dad’s response, “Hell, we all had concussions back then, we called ‘em headaches.”

Dad is terminal, not much time, and it would be nice if we could document his story. Dad lives in Gilbert, Arizona.

Thank you.
    Karen Rise (eldest daughter)
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Very nice story! (On wiki) Says he was a DB, back in the day.

I am sure someone here will know exactly who you should be directed to.

Hope he is comfortable.

Comment

• BroncosDivision
      #27 | HOF | CLASS OF 2020
      • Sep 2009

Thank you for sharing with us, Karen. I wasn't a fan of the Broncos back then but I appreciate your dad's efforts just the same.

Here are some contacts you can try. I hope everything works out for your family!

Patrick Smyth
      Executive Vice President of Public and Community Relations
      Twitter: @psmyth12

Erich Schubert
      Director of Media Relations
      Twitter: @schube13

Aspen Odom
      PR Assistant
      Twitter: @aspenrachelodom

Caroline Deisley
      Social Media Engagement Coordinator
      Twitter: @cmdeisley14
      Adopted Poster
      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

• jazzbodog
        Football Immortal
        • Aug 2007

Hi Karen, So sorry to hear of your fathers medical challenges. I grew up in Colorado and I'm a huge Denver Broncos fan. I have a large Broncos memorabilia collection including all of the early Bronco media guides. In case you don't have this, I looked up your father and the following is his information as printed word for word in the 1960 and 1961 Denver Broncos Media Guides:

1960 Denver Broncos Media Guide

Johnny Pyeatt (no picture)
        Defensive halfback 6-3 200 26
        Canadian Ball…Another performer who can play two positions – either offensive end or defensive halfback. Started the season as an end but then took over as a defensive half. Didn’t play any college ball but signed with the Canadian League after service. The last two years was one of the leading receivers in the Canadian League as well as being a stick-out defensive halfback. A full-blooded Indian who is a policeman during the off season in Phoenix, Ariz.

1961 Denver Broncos Media Guide

Johnny Pyeatt (with picture)
        27 – 6-3 – 204 – defensive halfback – Winslow, Arizona
        No college…gained experience in service ball…moving to Washington Redskins in 1956…went to Canada in 1957 where he played for Calgary under Coach Filchock…of Indian and Irish ancestry…has great speed and good reactions…married (Nellie)…two children (Karen and Johnny)…is a rancher in off-season…born Sept. 16, 1934…lives in Winslow.
        Last edited by jazzbodog; 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

I see that he had 4 interceptions for 60 yards and a TD for Denver, in 1960. When he was in Calgary, made 32 receptions, including 3 TDs...and even returned kicks.

Back in the day, players like him did it all!

:thumb:

Comment

• Peanut
            ModNut
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
            Thank you for sharing with us, Karen. I wasn't a fan of the Broncos back then but I appreciate your dad's efforts just the same.

Here are some contacts you can try. I hope everything works out for your family!

Patrick Smyth
            Executive Vice President of Public and Community Relations
            Twitter: @psmyth12

Erich Schubert
            Director of Media Relations
            Twitter: @schube13

Aspen Odom
            PR Assistant
            Twitter: @aspenrachelodom

Caroline Deisley
            Social Media Engagement Coordinator
            Twitter: @cmdeisley14
            Thanks, BD. You did the work for me.

Karen, I hope this helps.

Thoughts and prayers for you all.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• karenrise
              Practice Squad
              • Feb 2020

You are awesome and incredible!

Thank you! Yes, this adds and confirms what he has told us and actually gives us more information.... We have read in articles about him being an Indian, but is actually half-Mexican. Him Mom was from Mexico. But we love the stories.....this is fabulous. I will keep reaching out and perhaps someone from the organization will contact him. Again, you are the best. Thank you.

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
              Hi Karen, So sorry to hear of your fathers medical challenges. I grew up in Colorado and I'm a huge Denver Broncos fan. I have a large Broncos memorabilia collection including all of the early Bronco media guides. In case you don't have this, I looked up your father and the following is his information as printed word for word in the 1960 and 1961 Denver Broncos Media Guides:

1960 Denver Broncos Media Guide

Johnny Pyeatt (no picture)
              Defensive halfback 6-3 200 26
              Canadian Ball…Another performer who can play two positions – either offensive end or defensive halfback. Started the season as an end but then took over as a defensive half. Didn’t play any college ball but signed with the Canadian League after service. The last two years was one of the leading receivers in the Canadian League as well as being a stick-out defensive halfback. A full-blooded Indian who is a policeman during the off season in Phoenix, Ariz.

1961 Denver Broncos Media Guide

Johnny Pyeatt (with picture)
              27 – 6-3 – 204 – defensive halfback – Winslow, Arizona
              No college…gained experience in service ball…moving to Washington Redskins in 1956…went to Canada in 1957 where he played for Calgary under Coach Filchock…of Indian and Irish ancestry…has great speed and good reactions…married (Nellie)…two children (Karen and Johnny)…is a rancher in off-season…born Sept. 16, 1934…lives in Winslow.

Comment

• karenrise
                Practice Squad
                • Feb 2020

Thank you. Don't have a twitter account but it is about time I moved into the 21st century. Thank you for the tips and I will keep you posted as I move forward.

Comment

• karenrise
                  Practice Squad
                  • Feb 2020

Thank you for your concern. Have a great day.

Comment

• karenrise
                    Practice Squad
                    • Feb 2020

Yes, they did it all and loved every minute of it.

Thank you for your response. That is so nice and makes us feel good. My Dad is feeling good right now. I will keep you posted.

Karen

Comment

• Peanut
                      ModNut
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by karenrise View Post
                      Thank you. Don't have a twitter account but it is about time I moved into the 21st century. Thank you for the tips and I will keep you posted as I move forward.
                      Karen, here's some more information with addresses and phone numbers. I'm not sure which department can help you.

Maybe this one?

Denver Broncos Football Club Executive Offices and UCHealth Training Center 13655 Broncos Parkway Englewood, CO 80112 (303) 649-9000
                      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• jpark31
                        Playmaker
                        • Dec 2004

Thank you so much for stopping by, I really enjoyed reading this and hope that you hear something back! Prayers for your father and your family from Texas...
                        I Love Orange Crush!

Comment

• Saddletramp
                          Captain
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by karenrise View Post
                          Hello,
                          Can anyone direct me to the right contact so my Dad’s story can be told? Dad was born in 1933.

He is Johnny Joe Pyeatt, played for the Denver Broncos 1960-1961. I believe he may be one of the “oldest” surviving Broncos and probably one of the “oldest” former football players around. Dad has attended many of the alumni events in Denver and remains a “hard fast” Bronco supporter. Dad has terminal cancer, doesn’t have much time, and he has great stories.

Dad was a cowboy on the cattle ranch (Clemans Cattle Company), a police officer and played for the Denver Broncos. While in the US Navy he was recruited by the Canadian Football League (Calgary Stampeders) and while at their camp was recruited by the Washington Redskins but ultimately traded to the Denver Broncos.

My Dad has the original pay stub of his salary with the Broncos, $7,000 and I believe my parents used the money to buy a home – crazy how you could buy a home for $7,000 back in the 60’s.

Dad has great stories, i.e. driving from his hometown in Florence, Arizona to pick up a someone in Las Vegas and both drove to the training camp in Denver. He says they would work out 4-5 times a day, would watch bus loads of potential players being dropped off at the camp. Then it was just the two of them, he and his teammate – waiting for the “word” of who would stay and who would be cut.

Awhile back my husband asked my Dad, “Hey what about this big controversy with concussions?”. My Dad’s response, “Hell, we all had concussions back then, we called ‘em headaches.”

Dad is terminal, not much time, and it would be nice if we could document his story. Dad lives in Gilbert, Arizona.

Thank you.
                          Karen Rise (eldest daughter)
                          Thanks for some Broncos history. Prayers for your dad and family, from the Texas panhandle.
                          [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                          Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                            Football Immortal
                            • Oct 2010

Mile High Salute to You and your Dad!

Comment

• karenrise
                              Practice Squad
                              • Feb 2020

I love Texas! Two sisters live in Texas. Thank you for your concern. We appreciate all the prayers. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X