Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lt?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    A) No he did not, he just didn't give away those attention grabbing penalties, so people who don't watch the games beyond the broadcast not focusing on specific aspects of the game assume this, incorrectly.

B) That is true, but so is a rookie who can actually play the position competently while hopefully developing into a great player for us at the position.

C) You also just described Bolles, and you could apply point B you used for Bolles here also. You could also argue that despite Wilkerson being bad in pass protection, he offers more as a run blocker. Phillip Lindsay would argue that also.

D) James is probably not going anywhere, and despite it being a horrible signing from jump street, he is a much better player than Bolles when healthy. The question just becomes, can he stay healthy ? Doubtful.

E) I disagree. We have had one of the worst offenses in the league for years now, and a huge part of that is the offensive line and quarterback combinations we have had. But, we seemingly have a quarterback now, the defense was probably good enough to make the playoffs a year ago, so I see offensive line as 100% our biggest issue, it's actually blatantly obvious.

F) Who ?

A) He did and for 2019 Denver had 3rd best Rush avg when running LT https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...sive-line/2019
    B) If you are fortunate to get a Rookie who even starts, not all 1st rounders have success
    C) I suggested Bolles move to RG last year If we could find a LT. Would point out we passed on Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard last year. I just don't see anything that Bolles did in 2019 to change the course of the FO
    D) Agree
    E) Football outsiders and PFF disagree with you. We ranked 9th in Pass pro in 2017, 11th in 2018, and 25th last year. Leary and Wilkerson were both horrible and Flacco did the line no favors.
    F) Tampa, Jets, Clev, AZ, Miami, NYG, Pitt,... there are plenty of teams where I feel Bolles would start. I agree with you that he may be better at OG, but I am not sure we ever see that move here.

At the end of the day, we need a OC and RG much more than LT imo...that is where we can bolster the OL. Need to get better inside, more athletic there if we really want to make strides in the run game. If Thomas is at 15, ya jump all over that and plug him in at RG and follow that up with Ruiz or Cushennberry.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Personally, I am a Wirfs fan. I think Bolles will start at LT to begin the season. I think Wirfs has the flexibility to start at RG, RT, and eventually LT. I think Bolles will eventually be replaced during the season, he was very close to being benched this season but injuries didn't allow it.

Bolles-Risner-BJ Finney-Wirfs-James

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    A) He did and for 2019 Denver had 3rd best Rush avg when running LT https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...sive-line/2019
    B) If you are fortunate to get a Rookie who even starts, not all 1st rounders have success
    C) I suggested Bolles move to RG last year If we could find a LT. Would point out we passed on Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard last year. I just don't see anything that Bolles did in 2019 to change the course of the FO
    D) Agree
    E) Football outsiders and PFF disagree with you. We ranked 9th in Pass pro in 2017, 11th in 2018, and 25th last year. Leary and Wilkerson were both horrible and Flacco did the line no favors.
    F) Tampa, Jets, Clev, AZ, Miami, NYG, Pitt,... there are plenty of teams where I feel Bolles would start. I agree with you that he may be better at OG, but I am not sure we ever see that move here.

At the end of the day, we need a OC and RG much more than LT imo...that is where we can bolster the OL. Need to get better inside, more athletic there if we really want to make strides in the run game. If Thomas is at 15, ya jump all over that and plug him in at RG and follow that up with Ruiz or Cushennberry.
    A) Bolles pass blocking concerns me most. I always thought him a capable run blocker. RG may suit his run blocking skills.

B) Munchak is capable of finding his guys in the draft. If not, we're toast.

C) RG Bolles may work, if Munchak picks his LT in R1.

D) Maybe Elway can misplace James' contract, thus voiding it?

E) I get the stats, but Denver lost a few QBs to IR, Lock included. OL is our greatest need. Followed by DB.

F) Competition at every OL spot is a must. I'd draft: LT, RT, C, RG.

There is currently no quality depth at the Tackle position behind Bolles and James. There is no viable Swing Tackle evident for game day. Maybe an acquisition will happen during free agency, but there is ample cause for skepticism regarding FA O-Linemen. It is possible Mike Munchak feels a Tackle currently on the roster is ready to step up. If not, it would be irresponsible not to draft a Tackle. Whether or not Bolles' fifth year option is exercised will tell us something. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    As much as I would personally be all for replacing Bolles, I don't get the sense our FO thinks the same way. To answer the OP I think Wirfs gets drafted last of the 4 and would love to double down and get Cushenberry or Biadiaz in the second. Snag Antonio Gandy-Golden wr, Malik Harrison ILB, and Troy Pride Jr. cb, in the 3rd round. Our offensive line would be stout.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    I think the FO lets Bolles start next season at LT without exercising his fifth year option. Itís not exactly a vote of confidence in him, but I think they let him prove himself in a contract year before making any decisions about what to do in 2021.

With that being said, Iíve done a few mocks over at TDN and Andrew Thomas has fallen to me several times at #15. Thomas has been my OT1 all season even with the rise of Jedrick Wills Jr. Although Iíve seen rumblings about how Thomas isnít a fit for a zone blocking scheme, which might reduce his chances of being in a Denver uniform.
    SADLY I feel you both are correct.
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg[/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    There is currently no quality depth at the Tackle position behind Bolles and James. There is no viable Swing Tackle evident for game day. Maybe an acquisition will happen during free agency, but there is ample cause for skepticism regarding FA O-Linemen. It is possible Mike Munchak feels a Tackle currently on the roster is ready to step up. If not, it would be irresponsible not to draft a Tackle. Whether or not Bolles' fifth year option is exercised will tell us something. We shall see.
    If only we could get Cody Ford from Buffalo. It'd help if he wad a FA.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 02-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg[/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    If only we could get Cody Ford from Buffalo. It'd help if he wad a FA.
    The coaches and trainers in Dove Valley have a much clearer picture of the O-Line situation than anyone outside does. Mike Munchak is the best evaluator of available players on the roster, in free agency and in the draft pool. I will be surprised if Denver doesn't draft an Offensive Tackle. They may draft a Center and a Guard, too, but of those spots, Tackle is the greatest need in the Draft IMO.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

So, if Reuter from NFL.com was correct, and Thomas and Wirfs just happen to still be on the board at 15, would anyone here like the "opportunity" to go the Oline route? I think I know where most stand, but if they are available, it makes the decision even more easy, for me anyway.

What about Austin Jackson. Seems to have a high upside just not ready yet. Would he benefit from Munchak coaching and some strength training for several months?

My thought would be to draft him in the 2nd rd. Even trading up if need be. But having him as the backup and starter in waiting if Bolles or James need replacement by mid season. Creates competition and a longer term plan.

Going to be interesting to see how free agency goes with oline. Rumored interest in C Fenney?

Also to see what progress guys like Bolles/ McGovern/ James/ Riesner make as a unit and individually with an off-season of training and instruction by Munchak before the season starts. Most importantly does Bolles finally ďget itĒ mentally?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So, if Reuter from NFL.com was correct, and Thomas and Wirfs just happen to still be on the board at 15, would anyone here like the "opportunity" to go the Oline route? I think I know where most stand, but if they are available, it makes the decision even more easy, for me anyway.
    I would. What actually happens will paint a picture of how things look to the coaches and trainers in Dove Valley.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I would. What actually happens will paint a picture of how things look to the coaches and trainers in Dove Valley.
    True. We will learn some things at FA....which may or may not reveal more of the bigger picture going into The Draft. For example, if we acquire a WR in FA, I am more confident that we not draft a first rounder as well....though I do feel like we would need to draft a WR by round 3. But that would make me feel good about selecting an OT in round one. I doubt we will acquire an OT in FA...but who am I to say?

Then again, at some point the Dbackfield needs some serious support. So as much as I might try to read the tea leaves, after FA, I would not bank on my assumptions.

Again...my hope is WR in FA, and by round three, and Oliner in round one. Dbackfield and overall, heavy drafting on D beyond OT and WR. And I would prefer DT in FA, someone proven but not overly expensive.

I would absolutely love to have either Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs start at OT for our offensive line this upcoming season. They are both upgrades over Bolles, IMO.

But letís break down our personnel at our positions of need and then the possible top prospects available at #15.

OT:
    Bolles, James

Prospects likely available:
    Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton

CB:
    Callahan, Yiadom

Kristian Fulton, Trevon Diggs, CJ Henderson

DL:
    Jones, Walker

Javon Kinlaw, AJ Epenesa

WR:
    Sutton, Hamilton

Ruggs III, Higgins, Shenault Jr., Reagor

This is accounting for our free agents at each position but NOT who we might bring back or add in free agency. As much as it is an eyesore to see Bolles continue to tread water at LT for years now, it is also very evident that other positions must be addressed and may present a more urgent need come Day 1 of the NFL Draft.

What do you all think about Netane Muti at guard? He looks to be just as much of a beast as Quenton Nelson. The problem is that he has been injured. Watch his tape, though, and he chews up the middle of a line and serves up stacks of pancakes, even against Alabama. He has had both an Achilles and lisfranc injury, so it's a risk, but man, the upside is glaringly there. Watch him when he pulls. The guy can neutralize multiple defenders.

https://youtu.be/PtcpNPJfwMg
    Last edited by CheyennePress; 02-10-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    What do you all think about Netane Muti at guard? He looks to be just as much of a beast as Quenton Nelson. The problem is that he has been injured. Watch his tape, though, and he chews up the middle of a line and serves up stacks of pancakes, even against Alabama. He has had both an Achilles and lisfranc injury, so it's a risk, but man, the upside is glaringly there. Watch him when he pulls. The guy can neutralize multiple defenders.

https://youtu.be/PtcpNPJfwMg
    That would be awesome if true. Hard to believe though

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That would be awesome if true. Hard to believe though
    I agree. But who was the last guard you saw maul anyone like that? The difference os that Nelson never got injured doing it. If we back off the Q comparison, perhaps Will Hernandez, who has been a very good guard for the Giants.