Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lt?

Lt?

Where we sit at 15 Iím willing to bet that one of the Offensive Tackles fall into our laps. If these guys;

Andrew Thomas
    Jedrick Willis
    Tristan Wirfs
    Mekhi Becton

Who do you think might be available where we pick, and who do you want to pick? Either way we slice it I think our first 2 picks will be OT/WR, or vice versa. So we either land one of these guys and go WR in round 2, or we take a WR here and hope a guy like Josh Jones falls to us at 46.

I think this draft is loaded with WR talent and we can wait. I would love for us to land one of these guys to replace Bolles.

If we go WR in round 1, would you rather have Jones @ Tackle in the 2nd....or get a higher rated Guard/Center like Cushenbury, Biadiaz or Ruiez. I'd go guard/center and get the tackle in the 3rd . We have three picks there in the 3rd. There's got to be a quality Tackle available in the third that could be groomed to start in 2021. The tackle will not need to be inserted immediately. The guard/center however needs to be a Day 1 starter.

As much as I would personally be all for replacing Bolles, I don't get the sense our FO thinks the same way. To answer the OP I think Wirfs gets drafted last of the 4 and would love to double down and get Cushenberry or Biadiaz in the second. Snag Antonio Gandy-Golden wr, Malik Harrison ILB, and Troy Pride Jr. cb, in the 3rd round. Our offensive line would be stout.
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

I think the FO lets Bolles start next season at LT without exercising his fifth year option. Itís not exactly a vote of confidence in him, but I think they let him prove himself in a contract year before making any decisions about what to do in 2021.

With that being said, Iíve done a few mocks over at TDN and Andrew Thomas has fallen to me several times at #15. Thomas has been my OT1 all season even with the rise of Jedrick Wills Jr. Although Iíve seen rumblings about how Thomas isnít a fit for a zone blocking scheme, which might reduce his chances of being in a Denver uniform.

Becton is really interesting. Heís huge, nimble and hard to get around. If heís there at 15 I wouldnít hesitate to pick him.
    It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I feel like Thomas or Wirfs will always be the standard for this draft. Meaning if they are available go get them. But with the money tied into the tackles I think we wait. The interior lineman I think need to be focused on. Leary is going to be cut and we still donít know what is going to happen with McGovern. So I hope we can grab a solid C and G in the first 3 rds would be greater than getting a new tackle that could possibly sit for a year.

Hard to say at this point. Depends on what happens in FA and the needs come draft time, but if a tackle the FO really likes falls to us, we probably take him. I agree it's likely Bolles starts without a 5th year option and James who knows. But I think we need at least 1 and probably 2 tackles between this offseason and next. If the guy we want doesn't fall, C or G likely as a later pick and we address another need with the 1st pick. With the number of holes we have and KC riding high, I think this is a 2 year project to acquire enough talent around Lock to compete for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by wmp View Post
    Becton is really interesting. Heís huge, nimble and hard to get around. If heís there at 15 I wouldnít hesitate to pick him.
    It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
    His 6'7" 369 lbs frame is a concern given Den's elevation.

I'd rather draft LT Andrew Thomas, if available.
    Bolles may benefit from competition.

James is a wildcard.
    RT Isaiah Wilson may be available in R3.

Thomas/Risner/OC/Bolles/Wilson

Wide reciever are luxury picks, picks you make when you're almost there, and need that last piece, we are not. We are right now in the middle of a 4 year out of the playoff streak with 3 straight losing seasons, the worst run since the 70's, we are not in a position to be making luxury picks. We had Thomas, and Sanders, and Sutton, and where has it gotten us ? Bottom of the league production as an offense. We can wait longer than the first 2 rounds for reciever, but we can't for offensive line talent. I say you take a tackle and a guard/center with those first 2 picks, then see what happens with the defensive backs, wide reciever isn't on my mind until that 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Wide reciever are luxury picks, picks you make when you're almost there, and need that last piece, we are not. We are right now in the middle of a 4 year out of the playoff streak with 3 straight losing seasons, the worst run since the 70's, we are not in a position to be making luxury picks. We had Thomas, and Sanders, and Sutton, and where has it gotten us ? Bottom of the league production as an offense. We can wait longer than the first 2 rounds for reciever, but we can't for offensive line talent. I say you take a tackle and a guard/center with those first 2 picks, then see what happens with the defensive backs, wide reciever isn't on my mind until that 5th round.
    huh. I've always said the games are always won in the trenches. I've been rooting for Ruggs for the past three months.....but this is a sobering dose of reality you speak. If it plays out like you wish..... , at least one WR needs to be snagged with 1 of our 3rds....

In a mock draft by Chad Reuter of NFL.com, he has Thomas and Wirfs going after our pick. If so, we have to go LT in round one!!!

I agree that Bolles will be the LT in 2020, so I do not see "LT" being the pick at 15 (you don't draft "competition" at 15). If they see Thomas or Wirf as a RG, we could go that way, with both being a fallback plan at OT in 2021.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Why do we see Bolles as the starter this season ? Is it because we believe Elway is so stubborn on making Bolles work as a left tackle he will be forced into the spot again ? Or do you guys actually believe Bolles is a good player and rightfully should have the spot ? He is such a burden on the offense in so many more ways than just the penalties. We constantly have to work to the other side of the formation in the run game, we constantly have to put help out on his side, and then the penalties and terrible technique he hasn't improved on in 3 straight years of starting. The guy needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Why do we see Bolles as the starter this season ? Is it because we believe Elway is so stubborn on making Bolles work as a left tackle he will be forced into the spot again ? Or do you guys actually believe Bolles is a good player and rightfully should have the spot ? He is such a burden on the offense in so many more ways than just the penalties. We constantly have to work to the other side of the formation in the run game, we constantly have to put help out on his side, and then the penalties and terrible technique he hasn't improved on in 3 straight years of starting. The guy needs to be replaced.
    Because :
    A) Bolles played well the 2nd half of the season
    B) He is affordable starter
    C) Wilkinson was bad & is really a OG
    D) James has to be the bigger concern, yet $$$ makes him hard to replace
    E) We really do have bigger needs to fill
    F) There is a lot worse OT starters out there, grass is not always greener
    Last edited by MHSalute; 02-08-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Because :
    A) Bolles played well the 2nd half of the season
    B) He is affordable starter
    C) Wilkinson was bad & is really a OG
    D) James has to be the bigger concern, yet $$$ makes him hard to replace
    E) We really do have bigger needs to fill
    F) There is a lot worse OT starters out there, grass is not always greener
    A) No he did not, he just didn't give away those attention grabbing penalties, so people who don't watch the games beyond the broadcast not focusing on specific aspects of the game assume this, incorrectly.

B) That is true, but so is a rookie who can actually play the position competently while hopefully developing into a great player for us at the position.

C) You also just described Bolles, and you could apply point B you used for Bolles here also. You could also argue that despite Wilkerson being bad in pass protection, he offers more as a run blocker. Phillip Lindsay would argue that also.

D) James is probably not going anywhere, and despite it being a horrible signing from jump street, he is a much better player than Bolles when healthy. The question just becomes, can he stay healthy ? Doubtful.

E) I disagree. We have had one of the worst offenses in the league for years now, and a huge part of that is the offensive line and quarterback combinations we have had. But, we seemingly have a quarterback now, the defense was probably good enough to make the playoffs a year ago, so I see offensive line as 100% our biggest issue, it's actually blatantly obvious.

F) Who ?