• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Mental Health

I would not be surprised if every one of us have witnessed or are very much aware of mental health issues. It is a very common illness, and comes in various forms. And, before I go further....it is not to be ashamed of.

When I was young, it was pretty much taboo to speak of it. Few people seemed able to cope with it openly, if it was part of their family, or even group of friends. A person would seemingly go missing, and we never heard the real story. They had left for some reason.

I am very proud to say that mental health has gained prominence in terms of "the conversation", and each day we go further, the better likelihood of advancing communication, and being more and more open to the "cures", rather than the "isolation" that once surrounded it.

I love that one of our children is a mental health professional. She cares. She has options in her field of practice, but she prefers to commit to this specific designation. She wants to help. And she sees all types of folks who often seemingly just got a bad break in life.

My dear Mother lived a good life to a reasonable degree, but had a few setbacks that were likely related to her early days. We used to call them "nervous breakdowns", but nowadays the terminology and the knowledge base is much more detailed and scientific. Thankfully the healthcare world advances, and we talk more, and people like my daughter, and so many others, want to help.

I love that more and more well known individuals have shared their stories, and that here in Canada (for example), we have "Bell Let's Talk Day", which puts light on the subject, furthers the cause and the attention it deserves, and helps raise money to continue to make things better. Hopefully this proactive activity is prevalent around the world....I feel confident it is in many countries.

And to be sure...and this goes to anyone who has struggled with some form of this terrible illness, it is OK to talk about it. And it is OK to seek help. In fact, it is so very important that people treat it like any other illness...because that's all it is. See someone. Folks want to help you. Again...it is nothing to be ashamed of.

….peace be with you.
  • Peanut
    ModNut
    • Jan 2007

Good conversation here about different aspects of menatl health:

Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

^^^

It's all good.

I am big on this topic, as I feel so sorry for all those who do not know how to deal with their issue. But I am so hopeful, because the modern generations have opened the door for healthy discussion, and shone a gentle but bright light on the importance of sharing and seeking support.

I worry that some folks' lives are unnecessarily sidetracked because of the fear, or the confusion, or the cost, or whatever it may be. The really good news is that, unlike in my earlier days, health care is just that...care. And just because a person has an issue of this type, it is OK, and that life ahead can be really positive. It may be counselling, it may be a prescription, or one of many solutions. BUT it is definitely not to be ashamed of. I repeat that, because thankfully times have changed. Anyone who does not support the idea is on the wrong side of history.

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

This is the language that the Bell initiative provides, to help end the stigma (associated with mental health and its discussion)

The 5 simple ways to help end the stigma:

Language matters – pay attention to the words you use about mental illness
        Educate yourself – learn, know and talk more, understand the signs
        Be kind – small acts of kindness speak a lot
        Listen and ask – sometimes it's best to just listen
        Talk about it – start a dialogue, break the silence

Pretty straightforward.

Comment

Working...
        X