Thread: Puzzles

Puzzles

Puzzles are fun and typically, good for you. Being an older dude, puzzles become even more important, as the ole brain needs to be exercised....and puzzles can keep one sharp for a long time. In fact, I think that young folks' minds can get lazy, and therefore, less game ready. Good thing for them, usually a few "practices" and they are back in the game.

My wife loves her daily fix...including Crosswords, Jumbles, and as of Christmas.....some jigsaw puzzles arrived at the fireplace. She loves Jeopardy, and if not as shy as she might be, would be respectable on the show itself. That's the strength behind "reading" a lot.

I do love the challenge of puzzles. Chess was a wonderful game for me, but these days, not around the folks that like to play it.

Heck, I get a kick out of interacting (mostly with JohnT) in the Answer My Question thread. It's often silly, and simple, and we bend the rules I suppose...but it is fun and makes me think. There can be a quick and dirty response, or sometimes we attempt to add some complexity to the foolishness. Sometimes when I look back, I am not sure most people would even get what I have attempted to say. It is puzzling to me even!!

My wife told me that I could work on the jigsaw puzzle any time I wanted. Then she asked if I could wait til she got the boundary completed (this after I found a few pieces). Now I am not sure what she has allowed me to do. She has become monopolizing, which is not like her. I suppose I will get a new rule today, advising when I get to rejoin. It's unusual in our house that she is the selfish one....I think there's a lesson to be learned here....and it's for me to decipher.

Heck, I even like the eye test, when you have to tap the hand held device every time you see a light pop up. HOPEFULLY it's not just having fun, and I am actually seeing what I think I'm seeing!!

One thing I must try...these relatively new escape type games. We have a number of them, and they sound challenging, sometimes even a bit spooky!

What's your fav puzzles?

Last edited by CanDB; 02-11-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Not sure if it counts as a puzzle or not but I do very much enjoy subtly adding layers and layers unnecessarily to conversations just to see how long it takes the other person to realize that even though Iím conversing with them Iím not actually talking about anything they think we are talking about.

Alas itís become much harder to do now at work because I canít ever finish a thought without an interruption or the other person talking over me so I get bored and stop participating. Even when I can they never catch on or they just donít get it if they do so the entertainment value gets diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Not sure if it counts as a puzzle or not but I do very much enjoy subtly adding layers and layers unnecessarily to conversations just to see how long it takes the other person to realize that even though I’m conversing with them I’m not actually talking about anything they think we are talking about.

Alas it’s become much harder to do now at work because I can’t ever finish a thought without an interruption or the other person talking over me so I get bored and stop participating. Even when I can they never catch on or they just don’t get it if they do so the entertainment value gets diminished.
    Beast....you are even deeper than I thought!! I can "challenge" folks (that's a haha), but I haven't gone this route myself. I have played the odd mind game I suppose, but not frequently, and I tend to catch others doing it to me a little more than in reverse.

Now I have to review all the conversations we've had!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Beast....you are even deeper than I thought!! I can "challenge" folks (that's a haha), but I haven't gone this route myself. I have played the odd mind game I suppose, but not frequently, and I tend to catch others doing it to me a little more than in reverse.

Now I have to review all the conversations we've had!
    Oh donít worry tone is hard enough to convey through reading, plus thereís a time lapse that makes it either really easy if the other person is actively engaging or really hard when too much time has elapsed so I donít do it on the Internet. Just takes away from the entertainment value in my eyes plus I canít see the facial expression once they realize it.

But I do enjoy a good opinionated debate hence my post count

Chess is a puzzle.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Chess is a puzzle.
    It is definitely puzzling!