NFL Throwback: Reactions to Peyton Manning SIGNS With Broncos!

Just saw this pop up tonight on youtube from NFL Films (Throwback):

Good watch. Missed some of the commentary and clips from way back when...

I was sitting in a meeting room at a paint certification when my phone blew up. The instructor asked me if I had to take those calls, I looked at one of the texts and told the room, "The Broncos just signed Manning!"

Lot's of groans from the SF and KC fans in the room.
    [

I too was at work as a huge argument/debate erupted with the Tebow fans.

Most of them really didn’t know the difference between a first down and a punt return. It did put to rest all the “Elway is envious” talks once Manning came aboard.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-20-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Amazing times.

Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

I remember monitoring the thread on this site. I think it reached something like 10,000 pages!

I’ll be totally honest. I didn’t like it at all at the time. I liked PM, but my gripe with him was always Dec-Jan. I didn’t believe he could get it done when we needed it in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    I’ll be totally honest. I didn’t like it at all at the time. I liked PM, but my gripe with him was always Dec-Jan. I didn’t believe he could get it done when we needed it in the post season.
    I had a really hard time un-hating him LOLOL.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    I had a really hard time un-hating him LOLOL.
    I have this thing about people coming over to my side.....I quickly forget what I did not like about them!!

I remember that day distinctly. Of course there was build up, as the rumours flew left, right and center. But when it was getting closer to the big day, there was a real optimism I was feeling, and excitement, because we needed a QB, and if healthy, this guy was very capable of leading us deep.

And then the acceleration of feelings, as the reports were making it sound clear that a plane was flying and Manning was likely coming to Denver. It was fabulous! And yes, then the fact that it was happening....and that day was soooo good!!

You can win without a great QB, but it is painful to not have a good QB, with no end in sight. Given the team we had, that day made us instant contenders, as many of us knew Elway was going to hunt for more quality players to make a go of it.

I remember waking up and being so over the moon when I heard the news. As a younger football fan, this was the most exciting day I can remember following the Broncos, and the start of the best era of Bronco football I have been alive for. I still remember jumping on these forums and going hell for leather writing about every which free agent we could go and grab to help Manning and the Broncos get a Superbowl, such a fun time. Peyton is easily my favourite Bronco player of all-time, I just wish we could of got longer out of him. Was such a good feeling knowing every week you had a chance to win, it hasn't been the same since the Sheriff left town.