Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raiders trying to get Simmons ?

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    I'm inclined to doubt that will happen.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Of course they’d like to have Simmons. But he’s getting tagged regardless so he won’t be there next season. And if I recall correctly Elway has never not resigned a player that was franchise tagged.

For them to get Simmons they would have to literally steal him although I wouldn’t put kidnapping past the Raiders

They have less cap space then we do, but i guess they can dream!

Simmons isn't going anywhere, he'll get tagged if they can't reach a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Of course they’d like to have Simmons. But he’s getting tagged regardless so he won’t be there next season. And if I recall correctly Elway has never not resigned a player that was franchise tagged.

For them to get Simmons they would have to literally steal him although I wouldn’t put kidnapping past the Raiders
    Has Elway ever used the franchise tag ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Didn't he do it on Prater?

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Didn't he do it on Prater?
    Ah yes, correct. Elway does love his drink drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Ain’t that the truth, we watched them sell Jon Gruden to the Buccs and then blow a ludicrous amount in order to bring him out of retirement.

He’s used it on Prater, Clady, Demaryius Thomas, and Von Miller. All were resigned before the deadline to extend tagged players

Prater
    Von Miller (remember the ugly comments after the WH visit)
    Demaryius Thomas

A lot of team probably want him, but won’t get him. I can’t see Elway letting one of his best draft selections hit the market. I strongly believe we’ll eventually come to terms on a long term deal with Simmons.

Complete forgot about all of them, and credit to Elway though, he did get all those deals sorted. I wish Elway had a little more foresight though in re-signing his own guys. The narrative of him failing to lock guys up before they finished their deals went away because he didn't draft anyone good for a few years there to even re-sign, but with Simmons and the cap situation, why hasn't that been done ?

Complete forgot about all of them, and credit to Elway though, he did get all those deals sorted. I wish Elway had a little more foresight though in re-signing his own guys. The narrative of him failing to lock guys up before they finished their deals went away because he didn't draft anyone good for a few years there to even re-sign, but with Simmons and the cap situation, why hasn't that been done ?
    Just because he offers a contract doesn't mean a player will accept it. Look at Chris Harris as an example, Elway made an offer, Harris declined because he thought it was too low, now he's probably not going to get close to that. Some players want as much money as they can possibly get so they don't want to re-sign until they see what that is. Others bet on themselves and believe they'll be worth more down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Just because he offers a contract doesn't mean a player will accept it. Look at Chris Harris as an example, Elway made an offer, Harris declined because he thought it was too low, now he's probably not going to get close to that. Some players want as much money as they can possibly get so they don't want to re-sign until they see what that is. Others bet on themselves and believe they'll be worth more down the road.
    Also true. But one of the better players from that elite 2015 defense had publicly said if Elway had came to him a season earlier he would of signed the extension. Instead a huge year where the entire defense elevated their play, especially on the highest stage, allowed guys values to greatly increase. Also he had early success doing so with Chris Harris and Derek Wolfe, so maybe you are right, and the guys which gave that narrative legs fit your description.