Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    I'm very high on CeeDee Lamb. He's the best WR in the draft to me, but rarely is projected as the 1st WR off the board. He specializes in YAC, which is exactly what we need. With Sutton over the top and him working underneath, that's a tough combination. We have to put a threat on the other side and doing that through free agency could cost $8+ mil.
    I have been preaching OT with our #1 pick, but I like that Lock did pretty good with the group we had, in spite of his raw-ness. You can help your O by changing faces on your Oline, but you can also add production with weapons. I have been watching but mostly listening/reading about this WR class, and CeeDee appears to be the best all round WR. For me, he's the WR you want on your team, even if not the fastest, or whatever. I really believe he will be a star in this league, and how do you stop him and Sutton, along with the other players we will have?

Heck, now they say we're looking at RBs, which tells me Elway wants a dominant O, because a group that includes the likes of Lindsay, Sutton, Lamb, perhaps Drake or Hyde or Howard, would be a nightmare!! My kinda nightmare!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I have been preaching OT with our #1 pick,issueaoffensick did pretty good with the group we had, in spite of his raw-ness. You can help your O by changing faces on your Oline, but you can also add production with weapons. I have been watching but mostly listening/reading about this WR class, and CeeDee appears to be the best all round WR. For me, he's the WR you want on your team, even if not the fastest, or whatever. I really believe he will be a star in this league, and how do you stop him and Sutton, along with the other players we will have?

Heck, now they say we're looking at RBs, which tells me Elway wants a dominant O, because a group that includes the likes of Lindsay, Sutton, Lamb, perhaps Drake or Hyde or Howard, would be a nightmare!! My kinda nightmare!!
    The issues at Offensive Tackle are: the possible unavailability of one starter; poor play by the other; and, no quality depth. Lack of WR depth is also an offensive issue, but is not as serious as Tackle IMO.

There is reason to believe that the WR position in this draft pool is sufficiently deep that the position could be well addressed after the first round. There seem to be four Offensive Tackles who would justify the #15 pick if any were available then. If not, bpa at #15 (who could be WR) or trade back and get one of the next tier OTs later in the first round or subsequently.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The issues at Offensive Tackle are: the possible unavailability of one starter; poor play by the other; and, no quality depth. Lack of WR depth is also an offensive issue, but is not as serious as Tackle IMO.

There is reason to believe that the WR position in this draft pool is sufficiently deep that the position could be well addressed after the first round. There seem to be four Offensive Tackles who would justify the #15 pick if any were available then. If not, bpa at #15 (who could be WR) or trade back and get one of the next tier OTs later in the first round or subsequently.
    We say things a little different, but we are pretty much on the same page. Oh wait....and I tend to go on too long!!

Trust me Sam, cause I know you like a good run game, and respect Olines….but I've come around to get excited at the thought of CeeDee Lamb on our team, because this guy has the potential to be even better than Sutton. Now, I may be hoping for a lot, but I feel more and more strong about the lethalness of this O, if Lock has those 2 studs, along with Lindsay, and perhaps another respectable RB. Yes, I want an Oline upgrade, and maybe we go about it in FA or with 2 picks in The Draft.....but I am talking "lethal", with a Sutton, Lamb, Lindsay, and perhaps a solid back like Drake.

We absolutely MUST take the best LT available at 15. WR can wait. If any of Becton, Wirfs, Willis, or Thomas are available we must take 1. Bolles needs replaced badly. Protect the franchise!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    We absolutely MUST take the best LT available at 15. WR can wait. If any of Becton, Wirfs, Willis, or Thomas are available we must take 1. Bolles needs replaced badly. Protect the franchise!
    Bolles has not been a great player, but I don't buy this "he's a massive liability!!" thing. I don't think the FO does either.

Sure, he can be improved upon, but he's an average starting tackle right now, all things considered. We lack even a below average starter in more than one position right now.

Odds are we have a couple of the tackles rated highly, but if they're not there -- or a player at another position of need rated higher-- then another position will be the pick.

I think Elway and the FO are noncommittal currently concerning Bolles just in case they find themselves lucking into their #1 T or get a great deal for Trent Williams from Washington. However, if neither of those happen I just don't think the FO considers the position an immediate priority like I believe they do other positions. WR, for example.

Bolles has this year plus potentially one more on his rookie contract. This year is to he treated as his last, by the organization and the player. If he blows it, he's struggling to find a starting place anywhere in the league and we earnestly pursue a replacement next offseason. If he seizes the moment, he probably gets a decent little midsize contract to continue being a starter and we hope for continued improvement under Munchak.

This is a huge year for Bolles.

Many in the local media including Big Al and Stink have said the Bolles greatly improved in the last part of the season. I've never been a Bolles fan but always felt he's been underrated as a run blocker, particularly in space. Shurmur has preferred to run at the edges which I believe is Bolles' strength.

If the Broncos can find a good value at LT they should go for it. But I'd rather stick with Bolles one more time than overpay, based on his improvement and I don't think replacing Bolles right now is a top priority. See a good deal...get it. If not, I'm OK.

This is such a deep draft that I can see us going any number of ways with our pick. A game-breaking WR would make me very happy because I think that makes Drew Lock more dangerous. A great tackle would make me happy as would a great CB or edge rusher. Last year I was DYING for us to pick Fant so I was really happy when we drafted him and I think he's going to be a star. I was really happy with his rookie season. As for this year, I honestly don't know who i want us to pick but I'm kind of intrigued by Ruggs. That kind of speed is hard to find.

Am I pumped about this season? Hell yes I am!! I'm ready for the next season every day of the offseason. I think we're ready to become a contender again, push KC, and get back into the playoffs. Go Broncos!!!!
    Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Many in the local media including Big Al and Stink have said the Bolles greatly improved in the last part of the season. I've never been a Bolles fan but always felt he's been underrated as a run blocker, particularly in space. Shurmur has preferred to run at the edges which I believe is Bolles' strength.

If the Broncos can find a good value at LT they should go for it. But I'd rather stick with Bolles one more time than overpay, based on his improvement and I don't think replacing Bolles right now is a top priority. See a good deal...get it. If not, I'm OK.
    the thing I don't like about the whole Bolles situation is, wasn't Stink a Tackle? I may be wrong but I thought he was. If he was and he sees such a huge deficiency in Bolles why not try to reach out to him and maybe work with him in the off season. I know it's not his job, but Rod smith does it every now and again, TD gives pointers to our backs, I've read about that a few times. Peyton is even doing it with out new QB who isn't even the same type of QB as he was. Sometimes I feel like Stink just wants to be heard by the most ears instead of maybe taking a flyer and see if the young man actually wants to learn something

It would be hard to imagine a guy like Bolles who has shown the will to get better, even if it has not been quickly, turning down a Hall of Fame Tackle teaching him a thing or two. Honestly I like Bolles, I like that he has a bit of a mean streak, I like that he is feisty, even if a it too much every now and again. He's strong, and I like that he has shown the will to learn, again even if it hasn't been super fast. I'll take a willing listener over someone who knows it all any day of the week.

I should add I feel like I am a lot like Bolles, I am willing to learn anything, in fact loe learning more so I can improve, but I am very driven by success or failure. If I do well I get really confident and do really well, but if I mess up just once I feel like a complete failure and it snowballs. I have noticed that if Bolles starts early in a game poorly it snowballs, but if he starts well, he does pretty good.
    Last edited by duhyaj; 03-06-2020 at 06:27 AM.
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duhyaj View Post
    the thing I don't like about the whole Bolles situation is, wasn't Stink a Tackle? I may be wrong but I thought he was. If he was and he sees such a huge deficiency in Bolles why not try to reach out to him and maybe work with him in the off season.
    Schlereth was a guard. I also think he's too much of the "get off my lawn!" type to actually help anyone or do anything that doesn't directly benefit himself.

Bolles problem is his initial punch, all the other problems he has stems from that initial punch. Itís a very wide punch that leaves his hands on the shoulder pads which is a terrible position for your hands to stay in. Itís fine if you hit the rusher first and then quickly work your hands inside but itís so hard to do that at this level. And his base isnít strong enough for him to stonewall people so he has to try and fight his hands inside while keeping his feet in front of a guy who already has his hands in his chest and complete control over him.

This is something that seems to be catching on at the coaching level in college as well as Andrew Thomas does the same thing as well as many others. And it works in college because almost every edge rusher in college gets by on athletic ability. But in the NFL edge rushers have refined hand technique and itíll lead to OTs being off balanced and many holding calls because their hands are already in a holding position, just one good tug left or right and it becomes blatant.

Can Bolles be fixed? Absolutely but he has to keep his hands inside and punch them straight at the defenders chest. Itís basic oline 101. You wonít always get a clean punch but itís better than putting yourself in a much worse spot immediately. I really hope Bolles takes up Khalil Mackís offer because he has the talent to be one of the elite LTs in the league.

This is why the NFL desperately needs a feeder league. College coaches are not preparing their guys for the NFL. They are preparing them to win any way they can so they take shortcuts like this because it works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Schlereth was a guard. I also think he's too much of the "get off my lawn!" type to actually help anyone or do anything that doesn't directly benefit himself.
    Thanks for the correction for some reason I thought he was a tackle... Guess I could have looked it up lol...
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Bolles problem is his initial punch, all the other problems he has stems from that initial punch. It’s a very wide punch that leaves his hands on the shoulder pads which is a terrible position for your hands to stay in. It’s fine if you hit the rusher first and then quickly work your hands inside but it’s so hard to do that at this level. And his base isn’t strong enough for him to stonewall people so he has to try and fight his hands inside while keeping his feet in front of a guy who already has his hands in his chest and complete control over him.

This is something that seems to be catching on at the coaching level in college as well as Andrew Thomas does the same thing as well as many others. And it works in college because almost every edge rusher in college gets by on athletic ability. But in the NFL edge rushers have refined hand technique and it’ll lead to OTs being off balanced and many holding calls because their hands are already in a holding position, just one good tug left or right and it becomes blatant.

Can Bolles be fixed? Absolutely but he has to keep his hands inside and punch them straight at the defenders chest. It’s basic oline 101. You won’t always get a clean punch but it’s better than putting yourself in a much worse spot immediately. I really hope Bolles takes up Khalil Mack’s offer because he has the talent to be one of the elite LTs in the league.

This is why the NFL desperately needs a feeder league. College coaches are not preparing their guys for the NFL. They are preparing them to win any way they can so they take shortcuts like this because it works for them.
    Since most college offenses use zone steps in an Option rushing attack, they are also deficient in angle blocking.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-07-2020 at 08:28 AM.

And to add on to my post regarding Bolles Iím seriously concerned that this hasnít been corrected yet. I realize weíve changed our oline coach multiple times but thereís no way they are teaching this stuff and thereís no way they should be allowing it to happen. And yet even under Munchak the problem still persists.

I understand we havenít exactly had a better or even comparable option (although I think Risner wouldíve been much better) behind him but sometimes a benching can lead to a wake up call. Hopefully whatever competition we add this offseason provides that to Bolles. Although heís been somewhat of a laughing stock the past few years and it hasnít changed much so Iím wary of that.

Iím fully expecting Bolles to start this season out like last year and he wonít ďimproveĒ until the NFL tells the refs to back off on calling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    And to add on to my post regarding Bolles I’m seriously concerned that this hasn’t been corrected yet. I realize we’ve changed our oline coach multiple times but there’s no way they are teaching this stuff and there’s no way they should be allowing it to happen. And yet even under Munchak the problem still persists.

I understand we haven’t exactly had a better or even comparable option (although I think Risner would’ve been much better) behind him but sometimes a benching can lead to a wake up call. Hopefully whatever competition we add this offseason provides that to Bolles. Although he’s been somewhat of a laughing stock the past few years and it hasn’t changed much so I’m wary of that.

I’m fully expecting Bolles to start this season out like last year and he won’t “improve” until the NFL tells the refs to back off on calling everything.
    Bolles had a Wonderlic score of only 9/50 and he has struggled with ADHD learning disabilities -there are many stories out there about his struggle and work with kids who share same. So there's a steeper than normal learning curve for this guy in working with these coaches to develop better technique and unlearn bad habits.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Bolles had a Wonderlic score of only 9/50 and he has struggled with ADHD learning disabilities -there are many stories out there about his struggle and work with kids who share same. So there's a steeper than normal learning curve for this guy in working with these coaches to develop better technique and unlearn bad habits.
    I feel for him. But if described that way, and if clearly assessed in terms of his tendencies on the field, is it likely that he was drafted too high?