Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Because we'd be darn near unbreakable against the run. Jones is a physical corner that has pass coverage skills. His ball skills aren't great, we know he won't get a ton of picks but that doesn't mean he won't make plays on the ball. I like him, I think he can make us that much nastier of a D
    I was reading he is a better zone defender than man coverage corner, and despite being physical in coverage, he isn't really a physical tackler. I haven't watched him a whole lot, only going off other opinions of him, but the Dallas Cowboys forums seem to think he is overrated and will cost way to much for what he offers, in their opinion, take that for what it's worth.

I also think if the idea is to get "nastier", more physcial, and dominant against the run, hoping to sign a 15 million dollar free agent cornerback/safety hybrid who according to all scouting reports isn't overly physical, would be really missing the mark. I want my linebackers and defensive tackles to bring that attitude, not as I said, a sub 200 pound safety/corner hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    We are going to lock up 30 million dollars in the secondary between Jones and Jackson before we even re-sign Simmons ? I can't see Elway going and locking up 2 of the largest contracts given to secondary players ever in one off-season by signing Jones and Simmons, maybe one or the other. I don't see it as very smart allocating that sort of money to one area of the team.
    Our cap has been one sided for years, Elway is just paying the D side of the ball. Shanahan leaned the money towards the offense, having 60% of the payroll on that side of the ball, and lately we've been bent the other way. I think a lot of that can be attributed to not having a QB making top 10 money since Manning retired, but it makes me nervous thinking we might lean even farther toward the defensive side of the football.

Re-signing Lock after year 3 or 4, assuming he plays even slightly above league average, should push the money back towards even (in regards to offense and defense), especially if we have not re-signed Miller after the last 2 years of his current contract. The caveat to that is how well Chubb plays between now and then and the kind of money he commands. It's tricky, for sure.

Also, if we don't sign CB help, signing Simmons isn't going to do much good. It's great to have a nasty safety tandem (which Jackson and Simmons are), but if your corners can't cover anybody (which might be possible if we are starting Yiadom, Bausby and Callahan), the back end gets relegated to clean up duty.
    Last edited by Letswinplz77; 02-22-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

I wouldnít be surprised if we go cb early in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post

Also, if we don't sign CB help, signing Simmons isn't going to do much good. It's great to have a nasty safety tandem (which Jackson and Simmons are), but if your corners can't cover anybody (which might be possible if we are starting Yiadom, Bausby and Callahan), the back end gets relegated to clean up duty.
    I disagree with this. Maybe not so much on Yiadom because he seems to be unsure of what he is doing out there. But when you have 2 safeties that play at a high level, it allows the CBs to play a lot more aggressively, attacking any and all routes in front of them. Yes double moves would beat them only to get eliminated by that S over the top. Amukamara, Fuller, and Callahan had a lot of INTs under Fangio because Eddie Jackson was all over the backend. Richard Sherman hasnít looked like the same CB he was when he had chancellor and Thomas behind him.

I guess in a way they may still be clean up duty, but CBs are typically more productive when they have better Safeties behind them. Bausby seems like a guy that would benefit from not having to worry about someone getting behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I wouldnít be surprised if we go cb early in the draft.
    I hope we do, I am one of few who hope we trade up for Okudah. I really don't care if we sign FA WRs, Olineman, Dlineman, LBs, CBs.... whatever. We need playmakers and depth at almost every position and with top 5 in cap space and 9 draft picks it's going to be fun watching the direction Elway chooses

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I hope we do, I am one of few who hope we trade up for Okudah. I really don't care if we sign FA WRs, Olineman, Dlineman, LBs, CBs.... whatever. We need playmakers and depth at almost every position and with top 5 in cap space and 9 draft picks it's going to be fun watching the direction Elway chooses
    Indeed. Iím eagerly anticipating it!

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I disagree with this. Maybe not so much on Yiadom because he seems to be unsure of what he is doing out there. But when you have 2 safeties that play at a high level, it allows the CBs to play a lot more aggressively, attacking any and all routes in front of them. Yes double moves would beat them only to get eliminated by that S over the top. Amukamara, Fuller, and Callahan had a lot of INTs under Fangio because Eddie Jackson was all over the backend. Richard Sherman hasn’t looked like the same CB he was when he had chancellor and Thomas behind him.

I guess in a way they may still be clean up duty, but CBs are typically more productive when they have better Safeties behind them. Bausby seems like a guy that would benefit from not having to worry about someone getting behind him.
    I completely agree with this. And you're probably right about the safeties making the CBs jobs easier. Just seems like we need better CBs to go along with our elite back end. Yiadom just seems absolutely lost. But I hope you're right that they play with aggression and rely on Simmons (fingers crossed we bring him back) and Jackson.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

I like Amukamara but I think we need a no. 1 CB. We have good guys already with Dawson, Callahan, and Buasby who make solid no. 2s and slot CBs. I just dont see Prince as a no. 1.
    That being said, I dont want to trade for Slay and I dont want to get into a bidding war for Jones so I have no clue who I'd want in here other than a gem in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    I completely agree with this. And you're probably right about the safeties making the CBs jobs easier. Just seems like we need better CBs to go along with our elite back end. Yiadom just seems absolutely lost. But I hope you're right that they play with aggression and rely on Simmons (fingers crossed we bring him back) and Jackson.
    When I watched Yiadom play last season it seemed like his confidence was shot and was just very unsure of everything he was doing. That could just be him struggling to learn the scheme.

But with two great Safeties a guy like Bausby can really shine. He was the complete opposite of Yiadom. He anticipated routes and even when he was beat he had great closing speed to break up the pass or make it very difficult. I can definitely see a great season coming from him if heís healthy.

And then thereís Dawson who was somewhere in between both. I think he was still adjusting to the speed of the game having not played his rookie season due to injury. I can see him being much improved as he has some great tools. I could also see him filling in as a hybrid DB should Will Parks leave.

The Safeties are actually a big reason why I think Josh Jackson would be a very good player to trade for. Value is way down from essentially being beat out by the oldest CB in the NFL and 2 UDFAs after Jackson was injured. But when you watch his college tape he was very decisive and had great ball skills. You put 2 great Safeties behind him and let him play the short/intermediate stuff aggressively and he will post big numbers. In fact Iím so confident that heíd be a great player here that if he was the only veteran addition we made to our CBs Iíd be completely ok with it even if that means our CBs are Jackson, Bausby, and Callahan with Dawson and Yiadom behind them as well as rookie (I like Darnay Holmes personally). But thatís a move that would take some major cajones to make
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 02-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Bausby, Dawson, D. Harris and Yiadom are nothing but depth CBs. There is a reason that all the talk this off season is to find a #1 CB (with the impending departure of CHJ). With all the talk of Slay, Jones, Amakamara and other FAs, it just shows that they have to get better on the back end and the current CBs isnít the answer.

Regardless of what we all think, Fangio will ultimately make the decision on his corners like bringing in Callahan last year. If Fangio believes that Amakamara is better than either Yiadom, Bausby or Dawson, he will bring in. If he decides to bring in Slay, who he coached against twice a year for the last several, heíll trade for him. But for people to think that Bausby or Dawson can be a #2 corner, I donít think itís possible.

Lastly, the talk around the circles is that Denver wants to buy the defense and build/draft the offense. They want to buy a defense to at least to have a fighting chance with the KCs, Baltimoreís and New Englandís.

With all this Cap space, one suggestion (it wonít happen &#129310 but trade for Slay and extend him 3 years and sign Breshaud Breeland who is a free agent and KC canít afford.

No tender to Bausby. Heís gone.

Amukamara signs with the Raiders.

Any details of the contract? My quick search did not reveal any.

Too bad. Seemed a natural fit for the Broncos and Fangio. Will be interesting to see the money, perhaps too much for the Broncos?

Would have liked to have Prince for a year to give a guy like Ojemudia time to develop. But it is sounding like heís going to get thrown to the wolves rather quickly

Still a lot of time before the season starts to bring in a vet CB so they donít have to rely on a rookie completely.

Also Callahan returning healthy adds another dimension to the secondary that was missing last year.

Who knows, maybe they are not as worried with the depth at CB as I think they should be.