Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    You build from the inside out.... thereís 3 OL I take over any WR (Wirfs, Becton, or Thomas).

I take 4 potential defensive stalwarts before a WR (Young, Brown, Simmons, Okudah).

I take Joe Burrow over any WR.

So, there are 9 prospects I take at 15 (or trade up if cost is reasonable) before I entertain a luxury item, like a WR.

If all 9 are gone.... then I go Ruggs.

So, if thatís 10 kids... and we toss in Tua and Herbert (as 2 QBs most likely to go early).... thatís 12 picks. Thereís always a curveball to expect.... there are a couple other WR and an OL who could pop in the first 14 selections.

I just fear at 15 we on outside looking in... chance is good my top 10 on big board gone before we pick. Ergo, if we move up from 15 to 7-12 range... we probably get 1 of my top 10.

Say we are left with Ruggs. We take that elite speed. I prefer to go in another direction in round 2, and smart teams build talent from inside out. Add another Risner. If you canít help yourself, the. Package third rounders and get back into the second round.
    I agree philosophically, but FA factors in as well. If we can plug a few holes in FA we donít have to reach for a lineman

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I agree philosophically, but FA factors in as well. If we can plug a few holes in FA we donít have to reach for a lineman
    A trade for Trent Williams or something... sure. Same if we sign a Robbie Anderson or something.

I have a feeling free agency for defense and draft is for offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I agree philosophically, but FA factors in as well. If we can plug a few holes in FA we don’t have to reach for a lineman
    It is generally much easier to get a decent WR in FA than an Olineman.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    It is generally much easier to get a decent WR in FA than an Olineman.
    Not sure I agree with this statement this year. I think the FA pool for O line this year is deeper than WR. The dropoff at WR is pretty steep after Amari Cooper, who I don't think will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    You build from the inside out.... thereís 3 OL I take over any WR (Wirfs, Becton, or Thomas).

I take 4 potential defensive stalwarts before a WR (Young, Brown, Simmons, Okudah).

I take Joe Burrow over any WR.

So, there are 9 prospects I take at 15 (or trade up if cost is reasonable) before I entertain a luxury item, like a WR.

If all 9 are gone.... then I go Ruggs.

So, if thatís 10 kids... and we toss in Tua and Herbert (as 2 QBs most likely to go early).... thatís 12 picks. Thereís always a curveball to expect.... there are a couple other WR and an OL who could pop in the first 14 selections.

I just fear at 15 we on outside looking in... chance is good my top 10 on big board gone before we pick. Ergo, if we move up from 15 to 7-12 range... we probably get 1 of my top 10.

Say we are left with Ruggs. We take that elite speed. I prefer to go in another direction in round 2, and smart teams build talent from inside out. Add another Risner. If you canít help yourself, the. Package third rounders and get back into the second round.
    I think this year's top 100 is pretty good. In fact quite a bit better than last years. I do not think Risner would be a 2nd round pick in this draft. I don't think he is a better guard prospect than Brederson from Michigan, who might go in the third. I would NOT package multiple third round picks to get another second. IMO the difference between 50-100 is not that great this year. I think there is a good chance all 3 of those third round picks will be starters for a long time.

IMO we would be better off trading back and picking up an additional 2nd or slip back a couple of times and add two thirds. The top 100 in this draft is pretty good. We should be adding not giving them up.

I agree with your statements on OL taken before a WR, although I would add Willis to the list as well. I also really like Jones. That being said, I think Niang and Cleveland will be really good tackles also.

Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    Not sure I agree with this statement this year. I think the FA pool for O line this year is deeper than WR. The dropoff at WR is pretty steep after Amari Cooper, who I don't think will be available.
    this years WR:

Robby Anderson
    Emmanual Sanders
    AJ Green
    Breshad perriman
    Cobb
    Amendola
    Funchess

plus others. Most, if not all, of those guys will hit FA. It's rare to see that in Olinemen.

this years WR:

Robby Anderson
    Emmanual Sanders
    AJ Green
    Breshad perriman
    Cobb
    Amendola
    Funchess

plus others. Most, if not all, of those guys will hit FA. It's rare to see that in Olinemen.
    To be fair, we can pick apart age and inconsistencies in every FA because that's why they are FAs. The lineman list is every bit as deep and muddled with middle of the road talent or aged past their prime warriors, just like that list of WRs

this years WR:

Robby Anderson
    Emmanual Sanders
    AJ Green
    Breshad perriman
    Cobb
    Amendola
    Funchess

Green is being tagged, and Amendola signed a 1y deal to stay. That makes the list a lot worse tbh.

The things about a ďdeepĒ class at a certain position is that sometimes you trick yourself into waiting ďfor valueĒ and settle for good, or worse instead of great.

GET GREAT PLAYERS

this years WR:

Robby Anderson
    Emmanual Sanders
    AJ Green
    Breshad perriman
    Cobb
    Amendola
    Funchess

Mark me down for those that think OL is easier to find in FA than WR; however, also feel WR and OL easier to finder later in the draft than most positions outside RB.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Mark me down for those that think OL is easier to find in FA than WR; however, also feel WR and OL easier to finder later in the draft than most positions outside RB.
    that is a myth that has been debunked here before

Yup, now Munchak does have a penchant of developing late round guys, but the line is anchored by high round investments.

Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    What exactly are you guys looking at which makes you believe that there's lots of great O-linemen in FA? What lists? And who on those lists are great to elite options? Lots of players on the basic lists at Spotrac etc. will be resigned by their teams instead of hitting the open market.

Quality O-linemen are a premium, fundemental resource that allows the offense to function and so teams are loathe to let them go, unless they have received performance-altering injuries or they are regularly injured and unreliable. This is why we traded Clady away, and why the Dolphins let James go. The FO gambled (with rather poor odds, given his injury history) on James being healthy and lost, and I wouldn't count on him playing the full season this year either. We have to find a good RT because there's a 90% chance he will go down. I think we need to start looking for an alternative to Bolles too. I'm sure there will be plenty of affordable, poor-mediocre options out there in the vein of previous busts like Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson. I believe that the best option for addressing our needs is in the draft and the Risner pick tells us they are getting better at spotting talent there.

As NBC sports wrote:

"In the modern NFL, there's arguably nothing more important than offensive line play. Sure, having a top-tier quarterback with great mobility like Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson can help cover up a spotty offensive line, but without solid blocking, teams don't often go far.

The New England Patriots learned that firsthand at times last year. They lost starting center David Andrews for the season due to blood clots in his lungs and were missing left tackle Isaiah Wynn for half of the season with a toe injury."

Then I look through their top choices and see things like this:

"If not for injuries, Scherff could've been the top offensive lineman on this list. Over the course of the past few seasons, he has battled injuries and has missed 15 of 48 games and has been less than 100 percent for many others.

Speaking of inury-prone players coming off a down year, Conklin had an up-and-down season in 2019 while playing right tackle for the Titans. That said, he stayed healthy in 2019 and is now two years removed from an ACL injury suffered against the Patriots in the 2018 postseason.

Bulaga has been one of the best right tackles in football over the course of his career. The question has always been about his health.

Peters is still a very strong all-around blocker but the potential for regression ahead of his age-38 season will keep him from climbing higher on this list, especially after he dealt with nagging injuries that affected his 2019 performance."
    Last edited by L.M.; 03-01-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

I don't think teams are good at developing players in general due to FA, but in comparison to other positions there is evidence. GB has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick on the OL starting. Saints a 2nd and 2 thirds, Bears two 2nds, a 4th, and a 7th,...

OL guys can be very blocking scheme specific and the league has so much turnover in coaching now, hard to develop. NE is the longest tenured coaches and you can see it in OL development. NE 3rd, 4th, 5th. and 6th (all their picks) If you have a system and know what to look for then you can find guys later. Really hoping Munch has a good feel for this class.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I don't think teams are good at developing players in general due to FA, but in comparison to other positions there is evidence. GB has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick on the OL starting. Saints a 2nd and 2 thirds, Bears two 2nds, a 4th, and a 7th,...

OL guys can be very blocking scheme specific and the league has so much turnover in coaching now, hard to develop. NE is the longest tenured coaches and you can see it in OL development. NE 3rd, 4th, 5th. and 6th (all their picks) If you have a system and know what to look for then you can find guys later. Really hoping Munch has a good feel for this class.
    We will have to agree to disagree here. You can find Olinemen late in the draft but they are few and far between. Maybe 3/draft. I don't like those odds.

Here is an article discussing it
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-01-2020 at 02:06 PM.