Sign and trade Simmons, Trade Von, draft Jeremy Chinn, move up to draft Okudah.

Simmons is a stud, and has been a great player the last 2 years on his rookie contract, but he's about to be expensive. We have a large amount of cap space, and we will desperately need CB help. We can find it in a trade with the Lions, or signing Jones out of Dallas. But both are going to cost a lot of money. Adding a big money safety to the mix, along with what we pay Von and are going to being paying Chubb in a couple years, puts a massive amount of money on the defensive side of the football.

That said, we sign and trade Simmons, presumably for a 2 round pick, 3rd at worst. We trade Von for a single 1st or multiple 2nds and a 3rd. We use the extra capital to move up for Okudah, and take Jeremy Chinn in the top of the 2nd round, or use more capital to move back up into the end of the 1st to get him. He's a mauler, late bloomer, looked really good at the senior bowl. He's almost 6'3", 220 pounds, and oh yeah, the nephew of soon to be Hall of Famer Steve Atwater. He can play though, this isn't just a legacy move.

We'd have two early contributors on cheap, rookies deals, and could still add Jones or Slay in Free Agency or through a trade, respectively. That leaves the possibility of 2nd round or 3rd round offensive weapons, as well as FA OL help, and DL help. Releasing Flacco AND trading Miller would put us around 85 million under the cap. That's a lot of money to add mid-tier contributors and one or two stars on both sides of the ball.

Anyway, just thoughts. Let the angry rebukes begin.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

So your idea is to move Simmons, an all-pro caliber play and everything you want in a player off the field; so you can use that draft capital in hopes of getting a player who you hope will be as good as Simmons? Also releasing Flacco by itself puts us at just under 80m in space. Basically, this move is designed to move to franchise quality players in hopes of drafting maybe 2 franchise quality players, and a similar ability we already have to enter a bidding war for the services of a FA. I'm just not seeing it here tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    So your idea is to move Simmons, an all-pro caliber play and everything you want in a player off the field; so you can use that draft capital in hopes of getting a player who you hope will be as good as Simmons? Also releasing Flacco by itself puts us at just under 80m in space. Basically, this move is designed to move to franchise quality players in hopes of drafting maybe 2 franchise quality players, and a similar ability we already have to enter a bidding war for the services of a FA. I'm just not seeing it here tbh.
    No. We are projected to have around 61 in cap money, releasing Flacco frees up 10 million. 71 is not just under 80. But as for the rest, I realize it's not for everyone. This next contract is going to eat up more cap space this next season than we spend on the entire draft class. That cap savings could allow us to sign a starting left tackle, or a slot receiver and a Center, or another guard, or another TE. You can't look at is as Simmons for a rookie.

But again, I get your disinterest in the moves.

Nope...... can’t say I like that at all.....
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Nope...... can’t say I like that at all.....
    Yeah I get it. It's risky, but I honestly believe the days of re-signing players to huge contracts (outside of edge rushers, O-tackles, QBs, the occasional CB and Middle Linebacker) are about to be gone. Rookie contracts at other positions allow you to pay your QBs, tackles and Edge Rushers, and QBs are about to jump the 40 million a year mark when Mahomes signs his new contract, whenever that happens.

Lol no thanks - this is horrible. We have plenty of cap to keep Simmons. Why would we purge our talent when we have a QB on a Rookie contract?

Lay off the Madden...
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    No. We are projected to have around 61 in cap money, releasing Flacco frees up 10 million. 71 is not just under 80. But as for the rest, I realize it's not for everyone. This next contract is going to eat up more cap space this next season than we spend on the entire draft class. That cap savings could allow us to sign a starting left tackle, or a slot receiver and a Center, or another guard, or another TE. You can't look at is as Simmons for a rookie.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

We currently sit at just north of 70m in cap space, releasing Flacco when he passes medical with 10.05m to the current cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post

I'm looking at what's being exchanged in your scenario.

Simmons for a 2nd/3rd and cap space.

Then you suggest if we are lucky we can take Chinn with that pick, but may have to move up. So we get:

Simmons for Chinn and Space in the best case scenario

Simmons and picks for Chinn and cap space at worst.

As for the cap space, you are gambling on not being outbid in FA for those positions you claim we could get, or overpaying for middling talent. It's not as easy as saying we have space let's sign this guy. It takes 2 to tango.

This also doesn't even begin to examine the locker room impact. Simmons and Von, homegrown selected talent, Walter Payton men of the year candidates, leaders in the locker room, allpro caliber players. If you're another player looking at this, you're thinking man what do I have to do to get paid around here. That's not a good foundation to set.

How about we keep both Von and Simmons and we just trade up for Okudah instead....

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    How about we keep both Von and Simmons and we just trade up for Okudah instead....
    I could go with that but you might be talking trading up to #3 if Detroit really wants the guy we won't get him. I would rather see if Washington wants to give up their pick if we are going that high. If you got Young you could play a little "Madden" with some personnel, but that really is video game dreaming.

If we are really serious about trading up the Giants just stated they are open, of course that was to entice a Tua trade up. But you could get Isaiah Simmons, maybe Okudah, Brown, or any OL, WR, you want at #4.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

We currently sit at just north of 70m in cap space, releasing Flacco when he passes medical with 10.05m to the current cap space.
    I stand corrected. I keep reading we have 61 million in current space. Appreciate it.

Jeremy Chinn in the 2nd round? I figure weíre going to draft him anyway but isnít he projected as a day 3 guy?

And who replaces Simmons in this scenario? Chinn? Heís really a SS at this point and needs to develop a lot of the nuances in coverage, heís definitely physically capable of being good in coverage, he just isnít there yet. Either way thatís really a lateral move at best and a step backwards at worst. I understand the cap aspect of it but I donít think it improves the team at all right now and it probably barely moves the needle in the future.

Okudah would be nice to have, but nice enough to trade 2 of our most talented defensive players for? I donít know about that. Yes we will have a lot of cap invested into the defense but thatís fine. You still have the draft that can be dedicated to finding offensive players. Spending money is only a bad thing if you arenít drafting well behind it. The Rams spent a lot of money and draft capital to acquire a lot of pieces and they look to be on the downswing of it now because what picks they did keep they didnít do anything with.

To sum it all up, donít worry about how much is invested cap wise into positions, worry about how well the team is drafting. As long as you continuously draft and develop talent the team will be fine. Eventually you have to pay these guys anyway, thereís no point in being a feeder team for other teams.

Both of these guys need to be Broncos for life. You cant just get rid of talent because of the bottom dollar all the time. These guys are key components to the locker room and showing the team that getting paid what you deserve means getting shipped off for picks is not a good idea

IMO, a Miller trade should have happened a while ago.
    His production doesn't warrant his current salary.

Simmons is going to be expensive but a sign and trade deal
    will always leave ripples of concern.
    I hope he takes a discount to remain in Denver.