Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Are Folks Getting A Bit Too Enamoured With WRs This Year?

Let me preface with...

YES, I love this draft class of WRs!!! This is clearly one of the best WR draft classes...ever! And many will go in round one, and many in round two, and before you look away, many will go in 3 and beyond!

And whether you love Lamb, or Jeudy or Ruggs with your first pick, it is not a question of desperation, because even if all 3 are gone, you get a shot at a seriously good drop off group...and by drop off, who knows, some of the so called second tier might end up with better careers.

Regardless, like most NFL draft fans, there seems to be no end to the excitement surrounding this position, this season. And then I hear folks hoping to draft 2 of them, and early. I would agree, IF a team did not have one quality WR.....we Broncos do.

But at some point, you have to take care of all the other positions on a team, and in The Broncos case, we do have some spots to improve upon. If we became enamoured with the WR group, it could distract us from choosing one of many good players that will be available to us, in positions of need. And if we can land a BPA in a need position, we would have to be absolutely sure we did not go overboard in this draft, in terms of WR selections. There's still FA for that, and I have been of the mindset that we acquire one in each of FA and The Draft.

One can not get distracted by the glitter. It's like going by a store window and seeing a sale on something you already have, when you really need to buy something else. "But I got a deal!" you may say, but now you have to continue to live with that TV that's losing it's picture.

But the great news is that, finding a WR will not be a hard task in this draft. And even better, if you know exactly what you need in a WR, you can find it. You can minimize your research, and dwell on those handful of players that suit your O, and your team, perfectly. If you want an all around player, or one with top end speed, or a great route runner, or a player with size, or great hands, etc. etc., you will find one. And what's really cool...if you are a team that does not need a WR, you will likely find a great bargain in round 3, or even 4. That's called value add, because you will land someone who in other years, would go much sooner. That's the kind of deal that makes GMs excited.

In that regard, The Broncos, if patient, could land a quality WR a round later than in typical years. That is why the urgency to find one needs to be outweighed by the type of year it is, and the draft strategy that better suits being patient than coveting one or even two of these young players, as opposed to being wise and cool.

So yes, I am enamoured by this WR group. I don't blame anyone for feeling the same way. BUT, with patience and cool, and careful research, we might be getting a steal, and in the form of a package that suits us to a tee. FA will be a factor for sure. If we do not acquire a good WR in FA, it does add a bit of pressure to The Draft process. But even so, maybe we can be cool enough to wait til 2, and then come back again at 3 or even 4.....and end up with a powerful WR corp. There will be bargains!

We made a luxury pick last year in the first round, a pass catcher. Doing it again when again we have a porous offensive line, and holes all along it would be detrimental in my opinion. If we want to break this streak of losing seasons which is the worst run of such since the 70's, Elway needs to commit to the main problem area of the team over that stretch. If he doesn't, he will extend the record of which the team he has built since Superbowl 50 has achieved. Wide reciever is a luxury pick and we are not in a position to make it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    We made a luxury pick last year in the first round, a pass catcher. Doing it again when again we have a porous offensive line, and holes all along it would be detrimental in my opinion. If we want to break this streak of losing seasons which is the worst run of such since the 70's, Elway needs to commit to the main problem area of the team over that stretch. If he doesn't, he will extend the record of which the team he has built since Superbowl 50 has achieved. Wide reciever is a luxury pick and we are not in a position to make it right now.
    It's only dumb if we don't address the line needs in FA. If we sign certain players via FA than taking a WR in the draft is just fine, or vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    It's only dumb if we don't address the line needs in FA. If we sign certain players via FA than taking a WR in the draft is just fine, or vice versa
    In your opinion. I still don't believe it is. and I think it is dumb if we go signing free agent offensive lineman, for many reasons. The market is extremely bloated for the guys on offer year on year, we will be overpaying, and we went that route last year. Locking up multiple big contracts with free agents in that group isn't smart, and when you look at the free agent success Elway has had on the offensive line, surely he has to question if he should go that route again, the track record is beyond piss poor.

I'm also not saying the first pick must be offensive line, just draft one for the sake of it, just that picking a wide reciever in a deep class, on a perennial loser, a year on from taking a pass catcher in the first round, isn't smart. I think we should be looking at other position and player needs and there will plenty of worthy prospects at 15 who would grade out as good as the wide receivers on offer. We are also thin at a lot of other areas too.

I agree. This is a 2 stage process (at least), and whatever we can do in FA to bolster our Oline, or find a decent WR, or strengthen our Dbackfield, or tighten up the interior D.....makes The Draft that much easier. Sure, manage the budget, and don't get caught up in a spending spree. But if we make a few moves in FA, I might be really good with a WR with our first pick. OR I might beg for an Oliner at 15. OR....maybe we will need to find the best CB, because we took care of the first two concerns (of mine).

And back to the point of this thread.....with such a deep WR class, we might be able to get value with a 2nd or even 3rd round selection, if we can acquire a good receiver in FA (for a good price). This depth allows teams to wait, if they have other needs, and possibly land a player one round later than the player is actually worth!

In your opinion. I still don't believe it is. and I think it is dumb if we go signing free agent offensive lineman, for many reasons. The market is extremely bloated for the guys on offer year on year, we will be overpaying, and we went that route last year. Locking up multiple big contracts with free agents in that group isn't smart, and when you look at the free agent success Elway has had on the offensive line, surely he has to question if he should go that route again, the track record is beyond piss poor.

I'm also not saying the first pick must be offensive line, just draft one for the sake of it, just that picking a wide reciever in a deep class, on a perennial loser, a year on from taking a pass catcher in the first round, isn't smart. I think we should be looking at other position and player needs and there will plenty of worthy prospects at 15 who would grade out as good as the wide receivers on offer. We are also thin at a lot of other areas too.
    Well, we could say the same thing about FA WRs too, we'd be overpaying for mediocre talent. All these top WRs, imo, are studs and would make us a very dynamic offense. Sure it's a deep class but there is an obvious talent drop from the next tier of players.

I'm not against anything really, outside of QB or TE in the 1st ( which there is zero chance of happening ). I'd be perfectly happy with any of OT, WR, CB or LB. I want long term continuity on the line and Lock will need a good line so like I said, I'm good with it.

I just feel we can sign some good interior FAs that will contribute and get us buy for a couple more year's. We aren't going to get Dallas's line in 1 year. We got a decent start with Risner and possibly James so we'll need more than just a draft pick or 2.

If we take OT in the 1st, great!! We need it but we'll still be looking for more line help for the next couple years and finding guards is arguably the easiest position to fill. Finding a great WR is a lot harder and if we can get one here than do it, why not

I do hope someone does remind Elway that defense wins championships.

DT 1430 yards
    Decker 1288 yards
    J Thomas 788 yards
    Welker 778 yards

5477 passing yards 55 passing TDS

SB Final 8-43...but by all means go draft WRS
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

This is why OL should be a priority. They say that the WR class this year is full of good players . If it's so deep get one in the 2nd round and take a bruiser for the trenches @15

Well, we could say the same thing about FA WRs too, we'd be overpaying for mediocre talent. All these top WRs, imo, are studs and would make us a very dynamic offense. Sure it's a deep class but there is an obvious talent drop from the next tier of players.

I'm not against anything really, outside of QB or TE in the 1st ( which there is zero chance of happening ). I'd be perfectly happy with any of OT, WR, CB or LB. I want long term continuity on the line and Lock will need a good line so like I said, I'm good with it.

I just feel we can sign some good interior FAs that will contribute and get us buy for a couple more year's. We aren't going to get Dallas's line in 1 year. We got a decent start with Risner and possibly James so we'll need more than just a draft pick or 2.

If we take OT in the 1st, great!! We need it but we'll still be looking for more line help for the next couple years and finding guards is arguably the easiest position to fill. Finding a great WR is a lot harder and if we can get one here than do it, why not
    Exactly right, that is why you build a team through the draft, and when your right there, you make those few extra moves to bring a free agent guy. We are also not going to be a Superbowl competitor in one year, and that is something if Elway came to terms with 3 years ago, like some of us were screaming, we might not be in a 4 year playoff drought right now.

The above posts kind of lead to a point I have been making as well. We had Thomas and Sanders during this last however many bad years, they didn't change anything for us, and a great offensive line can get us to where we want to go sooner. I'll also take a 6-10 season if it means we are developing young talent and committed to that approach. But, one more year of trying to plug every position with overpaid free agents, and again missing the playoffs, Elway should be gone.

I think, looking at the board “folks” are enamoured with starting WR threads... move up? Move down? This WR or this WR? Are we too into WR,s ?

I get it’s combine and soon draft time... but we have real positions of need!

/rant
    Last edited by EddieMac; 02-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Couldnít the same be said for those laser focused with an olineman at #15?

There is a separation between skills. The 7-10th WR is getting selected later for a reason. Same principle applies if you compare a top 10 olineman and a second round pick. Isnít that 7-10 olineman just as good because he is athletic and 320lbs? It is not foolproof by any means but there is a reason guys climb or slip on draft day.

Broncos just paid a RT $13m. They invested a first rounder at the other tackle. Their best olineman is a second rounder. Munchak is starting his second year Iím guessing his influence will be strong on the decisions. Maybe they can find another quality olineman in the second and/ or third round.

Iím interested to see if they sign another olineman. And who is still available at #15 before I dig my heels in.

Iím open to just about any position in those first 5 picks. Broncos need help. But especially on offense.

Iím not sure how it can be considered a luxury or bad decision to upgrade an offensive playmakers that is near the bottom of the league in points (17.6) and percentage of money spent on the offensive side of the ball. (31%).

Broncos have to get more explosive on offense. If that is a WR at#15 so be it.

I think that this is a bit of an anomaly to have such a deep WR class, and with so much attention to the group itself. The beauty of it, we do not have to panic, because whether we move up, stay where we are, or wait, we can find a quality WR in this draft class.

As for Oliners….there are some really good ones, but in my opinion, it is not as comparable a group in depth/quality as the WRs....which from my perspective means that if we want an Oliner "starter", we might not find one for sure beyond round one. That too is ok, if the player can mature and grow into a job later.

But bottom line for me, I love the pass game, and I really want a Lamb or a Jeudy or a Ruggs….but I feel comfortable in this position knowing we could maybe even find a starter in the 3rd round. Not saying I would wait that long, especially if we do not acquire one in FA, but the depth of this class provides ample opportunity to select a '20 starter, well beyond round one.

Just the way things go some years. Strong this, less strong that.

And the question that weighs on me is....not what would make us a little better, but what would make us sufficiently better? Where's the bang for the buck? Maybe by The Draft, we may even need sufficient improvement in our CBs, or another position. But based on my current info, I prefer a stud Oliner over a stud WR in one, partly because of the importance of a solid O trench, partly because there is less panic to acquire a good WR, and partly because I am not quite as educated as to how good this Oline group is. That parts on me.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-28-2020 at 07:34 PM.

We get a shot at finding a starter in round 1 and round 2, odds are severely longer after that.

Chance of finding a 1st year rookie starter (throwing out ST guys)

1st round 50%
    2nd and 3rd rounds 25%
    4th or later 2%

So all this talk of getting another starter anywhere after round 2 is going to be tough.

That is the typical 1st year rookie starter. Not that everyone that starts is good, but that is the typical number. Getting a 3 year starter on a rookie deal after round 3:

2015 Eight 4 year starters (9 more added if you want three year starters over first 5 years in league)
    2016 Twelve 3 year starters; three 4 year starters
    2017 Twelve 2 year starters; only E Jackson has started all 3 years

Perspective, that is one starter per NFL team over three drafts from picks 4th round or later.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    We get a shot at finding a starter in round 1 and round 2, odds are severely longer after that.

Chance of finding a 1st year rookie starter (throwing out ST guys)

1st round 50%
    2nd and 3rd rounds 25%
    4th or later 2%

So all this talk of getting another starter anywhere after round 2 is going to be tough.

That is the typical 1st year rookie starter. Not that everyone that starts is good, but that is the typical number. Getting a 3 year starter on a rookie deal after round 3:

2015 Eight 4 year starters (9 more added if you want three year starters over first 5 years in league)
    2016 Twelve 3 year starters; three 4 year starters
    2017 Twelve 2 year starters; only E Jackson has started all 3 years

Perspective, that is one starter per NFL team over three drafts from picks 4th round or later.
    No doubt, stats support the round and selection you are taken. But I think when you have a very deep class, and bunched closely together in the case of these WRs, the odds of a starter in round 2 go up, and possibly even into 3. It comes down to math, if you have almost double the quality up front, and the gap between is small, more of them are capable of winning a starter job.

Does the 4-1 close to the season not, at least suggest, that fixing the QB spot was more than 50% of the solution? I know your adamant that Fant was a luxury pick, but going into the draft our TE options were Butt (always hurt), Heuerman (often hurt), and a dudes who had almost no experience. Tight end might not be the most critical position on a football team, but you do have to have them available and able to play. And teams have shown ('13 Broncos, Patriots with Gronk) that a skilled TE can make an offense almost unstoppable.

Last thing......Great QBs have won Super Bowls with average or bad O-lines. Great O-lines rarely win Super Bowls with average or worse QBs. Dallas has had the best O-line in the league for 4 or 5 years and hasn't even gotten to the Super Bowl. Their QB is actually pretty good (just ask him, he'll tell you he's worth 40 million a year), AND he has Zeke, and they STILL can't get to the Super Bowl. What isn't great about the cowboys? Their WRs and TEs.
    Last edited by Letswinplz77; 02-29-2020 at 01:22 AM.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT