Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's More Important For A Young QB?

Is having receivers who can get open quickly or an offensive line more important for a developing QB? I'm asking this question because I see a lot of mocks having us take a WR in the first round. While I'm deferentially ok with that given the quality of receivers that are more than likely going to be available to us at 15, I'm still a little hesitant because our offensive line still isn't that great and I'd like to see an upgrade. It seems a lot of others are torn at this point too as to what we think the Broncos should take. I'm a huge Broncos fan, but I've never played football in my life, so I don't really know what the better answer is. Is it the offensive line because you'll more than likely have a better run game and protection for the QB? Or do we say meh to offensive line and get someone dynamic on offense and let Lock navigate the pocket and run if he has to? Of course this is all speculation, and who knows what the front office really wants to pick? They could very well get a defensive player too. Anyways, your thoughts are appreciated.

There are several threads discussing WR vs OL, etc. already, and it's getting a bit repetitious.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

5 out of the top 7 teams in least sacks allowed made the playoffs.
    1 out of the top 7 teams allowing the most sacks made the playoffs

I'll give this a go, because I get where the question is coming from, which is quite relative to our team and our young QB situation. LM is correct about the threads out there, but I will respond here as I see it as a direct Broncos related question, and specific.

This is just opinion, and others may disagree. But I do think that a better Oline is important to the development of our QB. In fact, it is important to any QB. But I will suggest that Lock has proven to be more effective behind the Oline we had than the other QBs. He was only sacked 5 times in 5 games, which seems pretty low to me, given his status and lack of experience. So in that sense, I believe the type of QB makes a difference. He has a quick release when needed, is mobile, and apparently has pretty good vision and football sense. That might be a generalization, but he only threw 3 pics in 5 games as well. So if you ask me now, who needed a better Oline, I'd say Flacco for one.

But Oline is more than pass protecting. We want holes for our backs, and if the run game is solid, our QB will be better equipped in all aspects of the game.

On the other hand, we are lacking in WR weapons, outside of Sutton. Not to give up on the other guys, but it appears we need more talent to complement Sutton. That is why WRs are so critical to the mix this offseason. You give Lock another one or two weapons, one with speed, the other with all around skill or size/skill, and I feel strongly that we will be effective in the pass game....even with no Oline adjustment.

So it becomes a bit of a catch 22....fix Oline, and things improve, or add talent to the WR crew, and things improve. OR preferably, add at least one quality player to both units!!

I am splitting hairs a bit, but given Lock's play with the Oline we were "concerned" about, I might want a talented WR first, but just by a hair. This actually goes against my draft preference. But the offseason includes FA and The Draft, and it will make a difference how we address both positions. On this many of us agree....that we want one or two Oliners/WRs added to the roster. I for one do not mind FA as a way of acquiring at least one of these positions, but I sense that more folks here want Oliners and WRs from The Draft.

So to conclude...I believe Lock has proven that he can do well with The Oline he had, better than Flacco for example. But to become a full throttle O, he needs help. he needs another weapon at WR, and in tandem, he needs a fortified Oline. Down deep I think this young QB needs another weapon first though, because the WR threat on O will provide him with more options, and Ds will have more difficulty covering 2 high quality WRs plus our other offensive play makers. But I will feel like we did not close the deal to help this young man, if we do not add to the trench in front of him, which is tried and true way to help any QB!

I know, not a clear cut response, but because I am confident we will acquire at least one of both positions, the combined result will be amplified over just one or the other.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-01-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Note to everyone: If you see a thread that should be / can be merged with another, please report it and we can take care of it (a link to the original thread would be helpful ). I did a very quick look through the first page of Broncos Football and didn't find one. I know there are different discussions in the Draft Forum, but that's a separate thing. There's a few threads that are started by the same people that could be merged, but sometimes we wait because people tend to get upset.

Thanks for helping to keep the MB tidy (yes, I've read Kondo's book ).
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I'm interested in hearing other responses, given the importance of these positions in support of Lock, and the entire O unit.

In hindsight, the beauty of FA and The Draft is that you can search for multiple solutions, even attack them in various ways. But it is not as easy a question if we were only allowed one selection. If only one selection, I actually have to go with quality WR, strictly based on what Lock was able to do with our Oline, and given the clear cut lack of receiving weapons...to keep Ds honest, and to therefore score points.

Thank you for the responses and sorry for posting this in the wrong spot.

1st O-line, 2nd Running game, 3rd Decent Wr's . (JMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    1st O-line, 2nd Running game, 3rd Decent Wr's . (JMO)
    This... only I’ll add decent TE’s in that mix with WR’s .....
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosIsWin View Post
    Thank you for the responses and sorry for posting this in the wrong spot.
    Dude....it's still here, which means the mods have ok'd it. But I respect your politeness!

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    5 out of the top 7 teams in least sacks allowed made the playoffs.
    1 out of the top 7 teams allowing the most sacks made the playoffs
    During the time Lock started, from week 13 through week 17, 24 other QBs also started 5 games. Only 2 were sacked fewer times than Lock's 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    During the time Lock started, from week 13 through week 17, 24 other QBs also started 5 games. Only 2 were sacked fewer times than Lock's 5.
    Exactly! It's all relative. If you put me behind the best Oline in the game, I'd get sacked a lot...or throw a lot of picks, or receive penalties for grounding. Or more likely, I'd hand off pretty much every play.

In our case, the Oline may have been blamed for a lot of what the QBs were doing wrong. Not going to give Bolles a free ride here, but I don't doubt that Flacco for example, was too slow or indecisive. Whereas this young gun comes in, even held back in practices to some degree, and suddenly helps us go 4 and 1, with only 5 sacks and just 3 pics. Did the Oline suddenly wake up??? I don't think so. Maybe he gives them and the whole unit more enthusiasm and confidence, but I can not subscribe to the theory that The Oline suddenly learned how to play much better.

That is why I lean towards a WR, like CeeDee Lamb, if we had but one choice. I love an Oliner, but the skill/production that we would add, along with the fact that Lock fared well last year, and will probably improve this year, make me crave a top tier, long term stud receiver, who along with Sutton could be as lethal as it gets!

(Again....this is only a what if situation, and does not truly reflect the possibilities of FA and The Draft combined, where we can get a good Oliner or two, and a good WR or two.)
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.

IMO, importance:

1.) Blindside OT (Bolles)

2.) Interior OL (Risner, OC, OG)

3.) Playcall/coaching

4.) RB (Lindsay)

5.) TE (Fant)

6.) WR (Sutton)

Some positions need improvement,
    but the bones are there
    given the 4-1 start

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    This... only Ill add decent TEs in that mix with WRs .....
    I agree, I forgot about TE, I just was thinking of people who can catch the ball !

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I agree, I forgot about TE, I just was thinking of people who can catch the ball !

Haha. I figured...

That’s why o don’t see the infatuation with getting WR early over other needs..

I’d say we have the RB covered...between the TEs and WRs last year we were pretty good...with lock...now if we bought a little more time in the pocket, or better run blocking with that early pick.. I say we did good..

Would a speedster or great slot WR be good to have..hell ya...but not over more dire needs..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich