Thread: Steven Montez

Steven Montez

As a life long Buff fan...over the last decade or so there's only been 3 Buffs on offense that interested me in the NFL draft, Lindsay, Shenault and Montez.

Montez is 6'5" 240, had the 3rd fastest 40 at the combine, has a strong arm and is a very good athlete.

As a true freshmen he looked really good, but didn't progress much until his Jr year. The first 3-4 games of that season he looked like a Heisman candidate. But the last 1.5 years he's looked average. He didn't do anything great on a consistent basis but wasn't bad either.

I like him a lot as a Taysom Hill type player where he can do just about everything well but probably not a starter QB at this time. I can see him lining up at WR, TE, RB in the wildcat, a decent passer and good runner and our emergency/3rd QB.

If he's still around in the 5th we should seriously consider taking him. This is like when Lindsay didn't get invited to the combine. Montez is a great athlete who wasn't in a great situation.

Edit: Third fastest time for QBs.
    Last edited by lvbronx; 03-03-2020 at 03:32 PM.

I am sorry however I am just not feeling Montez.

Pass he is not ready to be a STarting QB in this league nor will he ever be a starting QB in this league he processes information slowly for a starting College QB that will only be harder in the pros. i wouldn't touch this kid at all.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Pass he is not ready to be a STarting QB in this league nor will he ever be a starting QB in this league he processes information slowly for a starting College QB that will only be harder in the pros. i wouldn't touch this kid at all.
    Which is why I said to play him like Taysom Hill at WR, TE, RB/QB in the wildcat and as an emergency QB. You're thinking QB and I'm thinking football player.

Taysom Hill was electric at BYU but kept having injury problems. He was stud when he was able to play. Check out his stats and his film. He was also very old when he came out, but he has it.

Montez not so much. Hard Pass

I wouldnít draft him but I like as a udfa.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Which is why I said to play him like Taysom Hill at WR, TE, RB/QB in the wildcat and as an emergency QB. You're thinking QB and I'm thinking football player.
    He is slower then Taysom and I don't remember him making any big runs or anything. He may gave to switch to te but I don't think he has the speed or skill set that hill has. Taysom blew montez out of the water on alot of athletic drills. Hill is a freak athlete while Montez is a good one. In college hill had a year with 1500 rushing yards montez best was 300. They are really nothing alike in college montez has always been more of a pocket passer while Hill has grown and matured over time. This comparison seems very he had decent numbers at the combine maybe he is like hill. When there playstyle has been nothing alike

oakland raders gm

If you want a want a T. Hill type QB you might be better served to take a look at Khlil Tate, AZ or even Jalen Hurts.

Both could still be on the board rds 4-6 depending on if anyone else has similar ideas with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    If you want a want a T. Hill type QB you might be better served to take a look at Khlil Tate, AZ or even Jalen Hurts.

Both could still be on the board rds 4-6 depending on if anyone else has similar ideas with them.
    if your looking for a guy like Hill Tate would be the flyer Hurts will probably be a second or third round pick.

my guy that i was looking at earlier this season for this role returned to school for 2020 but i really like Bryce Perkins.

oakland raders gm

I hate the way the Saints use Hill. Honestly, I think itís one of the main reasons they canít get back to the Super Bowl. You have a hall of fame QB and you take him off the field or line him up at WR inside the 5. Sorry itís dumb and just overthinking. If work a lot, but I still donít like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    As a life long Buff fan...over the last decade or so there's only been 3 Buffs on offense that interested me in the NFL draft, Lindsay, Shenault and Montez.

Montez is 6'5" 240, had the 3rd fastest 40 at the combine, has a strong arm and is a very good athlete.

As a true freshmen he looked really good, but didn't progress much until his Jr year. The first 3-4 games of that season he looked like a Heisman candidate. But the last 1.5 years he's looked average. He didn't do anything great on a consistent basis but wasn't bad either.

I like him a lot as a Taysom Hill type player where he can do just about everything well but probably not a starter QB at this time. I can see him lining up at WR, TE, RB in the wildcat, a decent passer and good runner and our emergency/3rd QB.

If he's still around in the 5th we should seriously consider taking him. This is like when Lindsay didn't get invited to the combine. Montez is a great athlete who wasn't in a great situation.

Edit: Third fastest time for QBs.
    Not a bad idea. We have to remember he did play Nebraska in those first 3 games 2 times and as a Husker fan, we made a lot of QB's look like Heisman candidates the last 2 years.
    Back to the post though he is a solid backup potentially. He does have mobility and throws nice deep balls when he gets time. I actually think he could beat our current backups.

I watched him his entire career at CU, no way anyone should take him before the 7th (at best).

As a QB he is horribly raw. He doesn't read the field well, is shaky under pressure, and his bad footwork causes him to miss easy throws. He also didn't progress much throughout his college career and continued to make the same mistakes.

As a gimmick player like Hill, he isn't nearly athletic enough. He has good mobility for a QB, but it is far from elite. I don't think he is a physical enough runner to be a H-Back or TE.

I wouldn't mind him in the 7th or as an UDFA to be a QB since he has fantastic measurables, but anything more than that is bad value.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    I watched him his entire career at CU, no way anyone should take him before the 7th (at best).

As a QB he is horribly raw. He doesn't read the field well, is shaky under pressure, and his bad footwork causes him to miss easy throws. He also didn't progress much throughout his college career and continued to make the same mistakes.

As a gimmick player like Hill, he isn't nearly athletic enough. He has good mobility for a QB, but it is far from elite. I don't think he is a physical enough runner to be a H-Back or TE.

I wouldn't mind him in the 7th or as an UDFA to be a QB since he has fantastic measurables, but anything more than that is bad value.

Totally Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post

I watched his entire career too. He'd probably be our second fastest TE, and ran a much faster 40 than Heurman. I'll give a pass on how physical a QB is since they are told to avoid contact. But I have seen him lower his head to get a first down on more than one occasion.

Comparing Montez to Hill is a joke. Seeing Taysom Hill ring up UT two years in a row (I believe 40+ points in each) was poetry in motion.