Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The 15 should be for sale

We are in a great spot to capitalize on another draft day trade and with the surplus of WRs this year I think there is a good chance we move around a lot again this draft. I expect similar results as last year - trade back in the 1st and up into the 2nd. Theres a good chance we could end up with 3 top 50 prospects again.

The Dolphins, Raiders, Jaguars hold the 18,19,20 picks respectively, these teams also draft once before we do (D5,J8,R12). I could definitely see a scenario where a guy is still available that they had on their short list and we are sitting in a great spot to accommodate. If one of the QBs is still there we could see a handful of teams trying to move up. With the Buccaneers and Colts drafting in front of us the likelihood of a QB sliding is minimal, but some WRs, LBs, S will definitely be there.

My personal opinion is Shenault is our guy.....he can help in so many ways including the redzone run game and would instantly step into a big role. His injury concerns are certainly a red flag and that's why he will be available for us to make a move back. This guy is a great player and his relationship with Lindsay and Risner is only going to solidify the reasons to pull the trigger. With what we could gain by a trade back and the surplus of 3rds we have, we could pick 3 times in the top 50 again this year and to me that's pretty exciting. The amount of WRs means other guys "slide" as well. Guys who were borderline 1st and 2nds are now going in the 2nd and 3rd just because of the extraordinary amount of WRs expected.

I'm excited to see who comes calling for our pick...Im hoping it's the Dolphins with the 18 or 26 and that early 2nd. That should put us right in the spot for Shenault or maybe one of the LBs with even more ammo to move up into the 2nd. I'm starting to focus on the top 50 because I truly feel we get three of these guys again.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    We are in a great spot to capitalize on another draft day trade and with the surplus of WRs this year I think there is a good chance we move around a lot again this draft. I expect similar results as last year - trade back in the 1st and up into the 2nd. Theres a good chance we could end up with 3 top 50 prospects again.

The Dolphins, Raiders, Jaguars hold the 18,19,20 picks respectively, these teams also draft once before we do (D5,J8,R12). I could definitely see a scenario where a guy is still available that they had on their short list and we are sitting in a great spot to accommodate. If one of the QBs is still there we could see a handful of teams trying to move up. With the Buccaneers and Colts drafting in front of us the likelihood of a QB sliding is minimal, but some WRs, LBs, S will definitely be there.

My personal opinion is Shenault is our guy.....he can help in so many ways including the redzone run game and would instantly step into a big role. His injury concerns are certainly a red flag and that's why he will be available for us to make a move back. This guy is a great player and his relationship with Lindsay and Risner is only going to solidify the reasons to pull the trigger. With what we could gain by a trade back and the surplus of 3rds we have, we could pick 3 times in the top 50 again this year and to me that's pretty exciting. The amount of WRs means other guys "slide" as well. Guys who were borderline 1st and 2nds are now going in the 2nd and 3rd just because of the extraordinary amount of WRs expected.

I'm excited to see who comes calling for our pick...Im hoping it's the Dolphins with the 18 or 26 and that early 2nd. That should put us right in the spot for Shenault or maybe one of the LBs with even more ammo to move up into the 2nd. I'm starting to focus on the top 50 because I truly feel we get three of these guys again.
    I agree with you that our pick should be for sale. I would really like to move back and pick up another second or move back a couple of times and pick up a couple of thirds along the way. I think this draft is strong 100 -120 players deep.

I would be fine with Shenault in the second but his injury history really has me worried. There are multiple WRs I would rather get at this point, but I would not be disappointed if we went that direction.

I hope we invest in OL and DL with those first 5 - 6 picks also.

I know we are going to discuss this stuff many, many times...but it is fun to do. And here's the bottom line, in just 6 weeks or so, we will have gone through Franchise Tags, Free Agency and The Draft!! That's a whole lot of activity, with complex possibilities.

So yes, let me enter this discussion. I love it all.

Of the 3 options - Trade up, Stay put, Trade back.....I see Trading Up as the least positive (for me). This is a deep draft in many positions, so you are better served being patient, and maybe even adding capital, because deep draft = good picks well beyond round one or two. IF one of the elite draftees fell towards us, maybe, but only for a reasonable trade price.

Staying put seems almost boring, but it should garner a high quality pick, and it allows us to maintain the pre draft strategies as much as possible. Though drafts are fluid, and teams are well advised to take advantage when an opportunity arises. I have mentioned a few times that there are 7 (maybe more) Oliners/WRs combined, that I think we would do very well with, if available at 15. Then again, Elway might be looking for something/someone else.

So...back to the topic, trading back. Makes a lot of sense. BUT we will likely not go there if one of our top line board players is available. Hey, if you love the guy, and he's there, why not?

But often there is a team that covets someone, and if you can capitalize, knowing how deep this draft is, you have to listen! And if you can negotiate a really good price, this is the year to do it! I am sure we can acquire one really good WR in round one or two, maybe even into three. And Oliners can also be found. In fact, if we need 2 of each by draft day, we could probably come away very happy, say if we used our first 4 picks on those positions. And we'd have many picks left for other positions.

As we often allude to, FA needs to be settled before we assess the draft strategy. And I sense Elway is serious about FA this year. Just one move so far, but lots of folks buzzing about going D in FA. Hey, if we go O in FA, I might be just as happy pending the deal. But hang on tight, because I believe The Broncos will look different this season. More D, more weapons on O. That's a formula for success, given how we ended the season.

Not feeling the move back I like ruggs alot more then shenualt and a pick. I am also not sure shenualt would be there or we could make the same move we where 10 and now we are 15. Moving 5 spots is less then 10 and 15 is worth less then ten so we will probably get less. Your looking at a 3rd maybe a 4th over a second in that move. I think the move right now is we draft ruggs then move up to make sure we grab Erza Cleveland at the end of the first

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Not feeling the move back I like ruggs alot more then shenualt and a pick. I am also not sure shenualt would be there or we could make the same move we where 10 and now we are 15. Moving 5 spots is less then 10 and 15 is worth less then ten so we will probably get less. Your looking at a 3rd maybe a 4th over a second in that move. I think the move right now is we draft ruggs then move up to make sure we grab Erza Cleveland at the end of the first
    Depending on who is there at 15 that seems like an ok strategy today. Free Agency being up in the air.

IF we address DL in free agency that might eliminate Kinlaw if he fell to 15. Ruggs might now make it to 15. In that scenario I could see us trade back to maybe an OL,CB or LB that would be over-drafted at 15.

Speculation is fun isn't it.

I say if one of the LTs are there, or Ruggs, we make the pick. If they’re gone we listen to offers.

Right now, I could see us going OL, DL, WR, or CB and maybe even LB at 15. There should be a top prospect available at one of those positions. After FA, hopefully some of those are off the table, but my hunch is we'll still have 3 need positions worthy of our first pick. Trading up is least likely unless it's 1-2 spots to get a top player who fell. Standing pat we're likely to get a quality player in a position of need at 15. But if the board falls the right way, I'm not at all opposed to trading back a few spots, then using that ammo to move up later like last year. It's a risky move - imagine where we'd be if we had not landed Lock last year - but could net us 2 picks at the top of our board if things fall our way.

I see a lot of people wanting that Olineman early but I just don't see the justification with the cap limitations on the current signings. So unless there is a specific WR that blows our front office away I think we be faced with the likelihood there will be some sort of offer on the table and several WRs we have prepared to draft....including Shenault.

Of course I am just going off assumptions, but those would include 1-the team addressing CB in FA and 2- OL depth/competition in FA. It sounds like the team is liking what they see in the rehab of Chubb, James, Callahan and Janovich so that is a huge plus already.

We can take another big step forward like we did last year with a what we have coming. I don't think people realize the talent influx we should get from the four injured players mentioned as well as 5 top 3 Rd selections. Trade back, trade up I don't care I'm just so greatful we should be in a position to target players instead of desperately needing to hit on a position.

Denver just awarded 3 more compensatory picks. A 5th and 2 more 7's, that gives them 11 picks. If anything we need to be trading up instead of adding more

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Denver just awarded 3 more compensatory picks. A 5th and 2 more 7's, that gives them 11 picks. If anything we need to be trading up instead of adding more
    Yeah I'm leaning this way myself.

As long as we can use some of those later picks as trade bait, I agree. BUT, I am cool with staying put or trading back as well, given the situation. If we trade back in round one, we get more compensation than on later trades...and that would give us a ton of ammo if we want to trade up in the next few rounds.

I like our situation!

I'm guessing those trade-ups happen in the second and third.

I could still see us trading down in the first for a late first and a second+third. I'd see us converting into something like this:

1. Late 1st
    2. Early 2nd
    3. Mid Second
    4. Late second
    5. High Third
    6. Mid third
    7. Fourth
    8. Sixth
    9. Seventh

I think we definitely will be trading up, just not in Rd 1.

With the draft so unusually full of WRs there are going to be some good players at other positions sliding and available. We are already in a good position to target a couple of guys and I expect we do that again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    Right now, I could see us going OL, DL, WR, or CB and maybe even LB at 15. There should be a top prospect available at one of those positions. After FA, hopefully some of those are off the table, but my hunch is we'll still have 3 need positions worthy of our first pick. Trading up is least likely unless it's 1-2 spots to get a top player who fell. Standing pat we're likely to get a quality player in a position of need at 15. But if the board falls the right way, I'm not at all opposed to trading back a few spots, then using that ammo to move up later like last year. It's a risky move - imagine where we'd be if we had not landed Lock last year - but could net us 2 picks at the top of our board if things fall our way.
    If there is an immediate impact starting OT(G)/DT/CB1 available at #15 then, yeah, I'd be happy with it. I'm not sold on taking a WR at #15 in a deep draft for the position , and I don't see a LB that would be worth #15. Mainly I want an immediate impact guy or a trade back if THAT GUY isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    I'm guessing those trade-ups happen in the second and third.

I could still see us trading down in the first for a late first and a second+third. I'd see us converting into something like this:

1. Late 1st
    2. Early 2nd
    3. Mid Second
    4. Late second
    5. High Third
    6. Mid third
    7. Fourth
    8. Sixth
    9. Seventh
    Hope so, the real value in this draft is late 1st to early third...need as many of those picks as possible
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots