• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JvDub95
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2005

Corona virus

This is absolutely insane!! I get that it's something new and people are afraid of it. But, the symptoms are just that of the flu. 120,000 people died last year because of the flu. do we stop living our lives and going to our favorite places because we're afraid of getting the flu?

Social media and news outlets need to stop playing like this is the plague! Yes, you can die from it but you can also die from the flu. I'm no doctor and I don't pretend to play one on TV but it seems to me that this isn't really that serious. The ones that it is affecting the most are the elderly because of their weaker immune systems. Stop living your lives in fear and just live

​​​​
  • Peerless
    Football Immortal
    • May 2004

I mean, I agree to an extent. I think people need to calm down - stop going to Costco and buying 5 mega packs of toilet paper and all of the hand sanitizers on the shelf.

BUT - this virus is a serious health issue and risk.

Yes - people die from the flu all of the time, but the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. And remember, we aren't even testing the amounts like we should be! It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Keep yourself healthy, perform good hand hygiene, and prevent being around ANYONE who has any sort of immune compromise.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
      team preacher
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      I mean, I agree to an extent. I think people need to calm down - stop going to Costco and buying 5 mega packs of toilet paper and all of the hand sanitizers on the shelf.

Yes - people die from the flu all of the time, but the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. And remember, we aren't even testing the amounts like we should be! It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Keep yourself healthy, perform good hand hygiene, and prevent being around ANYONE who has any sort of immune compromise.
      Do you know if the mortality rate is that high in western countries or are the numbers skewed because of where the outbreak started?

My question is based on quality of health care where it started in China.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

I will respond to this, because I believe you have said it exactly right. And as you know Brent, this is not something to mess with. You need accurate stats, and as far as I am concerned, a concerted effort to test, test, test! If you do not know who is infected, where they've been, who they've be close to, how on earth can you manage it? The only way to cause this to decline, as we know it, is to contain via quarantine. There is no vaccine and will not be for some time.

People have to think this through. Imagine if you woke up tomorrow and had your own test, and you were positive. The onus is on you, as a citizen of this planet, to trace back to where you've been and with who. Heck, you may be touching elevator buttons, or door handles or all sorts of things that others too have touched. So, if you are a bit reckless so to speak, you could infect hundreds (maybe more), all by yourself. So if you have groups of people walking around, touching things, the spread rate will be multiples of that number.

Test, contain, minimize potential. Hopefully find a cure quickly.

And why is this so critical? If there is a sense of, "all is well"....that is not factual, eventually you will find out that you have thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands (dare I say more) infected, within a specific entity, like The US. So, how do hospitals manage, if that sort of outbreak occurs?? No vaccines. How many beds, respirators, staff?? Then, how do you ethically manage these folks, many of whom are a bit older, or weakened?

So, you must nip in the bud. You get ahead of it, not act as if it's going away on its own. And don't rely on the idea that warmer weather will make this disappear. If so, why are folks in warm places infected, and sick?

Plus we do not know enough about this virus to properly manage it. Scientists must work quickly to understand its path, its characteristics, etc.

The medical folks of the world have been warning us, but not enough folks were listening. It's time to invest in the research of these nasty viruses, because it is believed that more are coming.

In the meantime, be smart.
        Last edited by CanDB; 03-12-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• dizzolve
          Orange Rush
          • Mar 2009

Don't underestimate this thing. Just because you can survive it doesn't mean the weaker older loved ones around you can. This is important.

And US is not doing a great job ........I read there were only 8 tests done for the disease yesterday in the US. Don't know if that's confirmed but the data was taken from the CDC website.

Be careful people
          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• johntbronco
            DaCap Man!
            • Jan 2013

I understand everyones concerns.

One point I would like to make though is this is not our first rodeo.
            For example:

We had the H1N1 virus

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States
            due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

This H1N1 lasted about a year.

Right now with this one, we don't know a lot. Many cases of this new corona virus they are mild cases. Some are deadly. So we really don't know the percentages of virus to death rate yet.
            it could be 3.4% or it could be 0.5%. We don't know! We also don't know if it will slow down in the summer months.
            Lets pray to god it does!

Comment

• Saddletramp
              Captain
              • Nov 2005

[URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
              Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                Don't underestimate this thing. Just because you can survive it doesn't mean the weaker older loved ones around you can. This is important.

And US is not doing a great job ........I read there were only 8 tests done for the disease yesterday in the US. Don't know if that's confirmed but the data was taken from the CDC website.

Be careful people
                This is what concerns me. I heard the same stat from multiple excellent sources. How can you test just 8 people when there are likely many thousands of infected people.

Comment

• Peerless
                  Football Immortal
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Do you know if the mortality rate is that high in western countries or are the numbers skewed because of where the outbreak started?

My question is based on quality of health care where it started in China.
                  That is a global mortality rate.

I think what really makes this worse is the panic state that everyone is in. Sure - the news is NOT good news. Secondly, here in America - our 'leaders' have done a subpar job of taking prophylactic measures to prevent the further spread of this virus.

But people do need to calm down and start with the basics. GOOD hand hygiene, stay well nourished, and steer away from those who are sick.

I was literally just at Costco now (not because I wanted to join in on the panic) for our usual run as we go once every few months - and it was a MAD HOUSE.

I walked down two aisles with a few items in my cart, and saw a ridiculous line from the checkout to the toilet paper section AND from the toilet paper section BACK to the check out.

People were stuffing their carts with TP and paper towel. I mean c'mon people.... Get it together.

I also work in health care at a level 1 trauma center and I already know things are going to get worse before they get better. I'm excited to be on the front lines of health care knowing that my vital supplies to PROTECT ME AND MY PATIENTS could literally run out tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Peerless; 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                    team preacher
                    • Mar 2008

Thank you for the feedback dude. That makes sense. I’m not really worried about myself or anyone in my immediate family. I’m more concerned about people in extended family with health problems like my parents. I also have concerns about the global and local economy.

What are the chances this was something engineered for population control?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Saddletramp
                      Captain
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Peerless
                      To be fair, I think it goes both ways. But that's all I'll say about that. :thumb:

Last edited by Saddletramp; 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM.
                      [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                      Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Peerless
                        Football Immortal
                        • May 2004

Thank you for the feedback dude. That makes sense. I’m not really worried about myself or anyone in my immediate family. I’m more concerned about people in extended family with health problems like my parents. I also have concerns about the global and local economy.

I think... that that would be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all year. Don't fuel the fire with that talk. Take that crap and lock it in a room with all of the other conspiracy theories (9/11 was an inside job, the Holocaust never happened).

Comment

• SecondsAway131
                          Captain
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                          I understand everyones concerns.

One point I would like to make though is this is not our first rodeo.
                          For example:

We had the H1N1 virus

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States
                          due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

This H1N1 lasted about a year.

Right now with this one, we don't know a lot. Many cases of this new corona virus they are mild cases. Some are deadly. So we really don't know the percentages of virus to death rate yet.
                          it could be 3.4% or it could be 0.5%. We don't know! We also don't know if it will slow down in the summer months.
                          Lets pray to god it does!
                          Using your numbers, H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%. The worldwide figure for COVID-19 is 3.40%. The figure in the US as of 3/11 was 3.18% (31 deaths out of 975 cases). The figure in Italy is 6.72% (1,016 deaths out of 15,113 cases).

Using all of these numbers, if as many people are infected with COVID-19 as H1N1, the US would see the following:
                          Statistic Infected Mortality Rate Death Count
                          Worldwide rate 60,800,000 3.40% 2,067,200
                          Current US rate 60,800,000 3.18% 1,933,440
                          Current Italy rate 60,800,000 6.72% 4,085,760
                          Your lowest rate 60,800,000 0.50% 304,000
                          Even using your conservative estimate of 0.50%, that would be more than 300,000 deaths.

The goal is to try to limit the number of people infected and contain the virus. There are some strong measures currently being taken that are trying to accomplish that.

You're right though, there is still a lot of unknown. I'd much rather take proactive measures so that we don't have to find out the hard way.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                            team preacher
                            • Mar 2008

I think... that that would be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard all year. Don't fuel the fire with that talk. Take that crap and lock it in a room with all of the other conspiracy theories (9/11 was an inside job, the Holocaust never happened).
                            I appreciate your opinion. I’m not saying I believe it. I don’t know what the likelihood of something like that happening is, but the virus did originate in a place where they practice population control, albeit not by mass murder.
                            sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

Not even sure what that would mean. Not even the most evil of nations would take a guess at trying to control population, without knowing the outcome. If so, would they not want to be more selective?

This is bizarre stuff, coming the same old bizarre theorists.

The earth is flat though.....

Comment

Working...
                              X