Page 78 of 138 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2064

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Sometimes media drives me crazy. Like most people, I check the source. Sometimes that doesn't help.

Hopefully, remdesivir does better than what happened with hydroxychloroquine. At least patients won't be shorted their meds since it's not being used for anything. I was fortunate that my refill of hydroxychloroquine was only delayed a few days.

Yeah, I was talking in general terms.

One of our pastors has a daughter that lives in Spain. He says that their lock down is more severe than ours. People are allowed out once a week for groceries and they need to walk there because they can't drive. I just read this past week that they are allowing kids 14 and under to go out and play. I'm curious to see what their numbers are with the virus. A project for me to do later.
    You can't trust any of them. It's a shame but for profit media can never be fair. What I'm really talking about is integrity. We as humans have proven we just can't keep a large organization from 'selling out'. Fortunately, I find hope in that singular people and some small organizations are able. But it's a problem that will not be solved in the USA first, and if it ever is solved -- it wont be in my lifetime :/
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Sometimes media drives me crazy. Like most people, I check the source. Sometimes that doesn't help.

Hopefully, remdesivir does better than what happened with hydroxychloroquine. At least patients won't be shorted their meds since it's not being used for anything. I was fortunate that my refill of hydroxychloroquine was only delayed a few days.

One of our pastors has a daughter that lives in Spain. He says that their lock down is more severe than ours. People are allowed out once a week for groceries and they need to walk there because they can't drive. I just read this past week that they are allowing kids 14 and under to go out and play. I'm curious to see what their numbers are with the virus. A project for me to do later.
    As for Spain. Assuming the latest stats are correct, their mortality rate is about 2.7 times higher than the US, on a per capita basis. Again, just a piece of raw data that does not cover all aspects of the virus effect.

Hope this helps.

UPMC doctor argues COVID-19 not as deadly as feared, says its hospitals will shift back to normal

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...to-normal.html

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    You can't trust any of them. It's a shame but for profit media can never be fair. What I'm really talking about is integrity. We as humans have proven we just can't keep a large organization from 'selling out'. Fortunately, I find hope in that singular people and some small organizations are able. But it's a problem that will not be solved in the USA first, and if it ever is solved -- it wont be in my lifetime :/
    NPR is pretty good.

I am getting deeper into some of the mortality stats, and South Korea's numbers are incredible! Approximately 250 deaths in a population of over 51 million!

I mentioned how Sweden's mortality rate per capita is approx. 3 times that of Canada's. Well, even if Canada's rate looks pretty good (on this one stat alone), Canada's mortality rate per capita is approx. 18.5 times that of South Korea's!!!!

Unless their stats are false, these are incredible differences!!

I like Billie Eilish. .
    Can’t stand her... like most new music though...haha my 16 yr old daughter won’t listen to her music because She sees that she uses her celebrity to push her own agenda... pretty mature for a kid, so I applaud that and her refusal to join the flock following what’re a famous person says..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Country Death per millions
    Belgium 656.71
    Spain. 519.54
    Italy 458.07
    UK. 392.5
    France. 360.08
    Netherlands 273.4
    Ireland 245.18
    *Sweden 241.77
    Switzerland 201.49
    US 186.17
    Portugal 94.63
    Canada 85.13
    Germany 77.98

Minus New York the US wouldnít make the top ten. New York has a 500+ death per million.

Belgium and Spain had lockdowns and have been hit the worst by deaths per million. Iím curious if these nations have larger elderly and/or underlying conditions populations. Maybe large smoking population.

* Sweden hasnít had a lockdown. They were predicted to have 600,000 cases by May 1. They have confirmed 21,000. I would imagine that by the end of May we will know if they did the right thing or their strategy backfired. Their hospitals should start being flooded with patients in the next couple weeks, if the models are correct. If not, their is a good chance they have herd immunity.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 05-01-2020 at 09:57 PM.

This is what I found on Spain:
    Confirmed deaths 24,275
    Population per million 46.72
    Deaths per million 519.54 (2nd highest of all countries)

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    As for Spain. Assuming the latest stats are correct, their mortality rate is about 2.7 times higher than the US, on a per capita basis. Again, just a piece of raw data that does not cover all aspects of the virus effect.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    This is what I found on Spain:
    Confirmed deaths 24,275
    Population per million 46.72
    Deaths per million 519.54 (2nd highest of all countries)
    Our numbers are basically the same. Sources must both be good then. Yours averages to 2.79 times higher and mine was 2.7.
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-02-2020 at 08:36 AM.

I am getting deeper into some of the mortality stats, and South Korea's numbers are incredible! Approximately 250 deaths in a population of over 51 million!

I mentioned how Sweden's mortality rate per capita is approx. 3 times that of Canada's. Well, even if Canada's rate looks pretty good (on this one stat alone), Canada's mortality rate per capita is approx. 18.5 times that of South Korea's!!!!

After the MERS outbreak in 2015 South Korea revised laws on strict contact-tracing. When Coronavirus arrived they developed a 30 minute rapid test with 51 (52?) drive through sites.

South Korea has the highest number of cell phones per capita in the world, one of the highest rates of cashless transactions (highest?) and a vast array of cameras). South Korean health officials have access to everyoneís cell phone data and cashless transactions. Combined with the cameras they are very sophisticated with contact-tracing.

When anyone tests positive they quickly quarantine with strict house arrest. They separate family members and track every movement. Their cameras are advanced enough to detect if someone isnít wearing their mask properly.

Itís a very Orwellian approach. I donít think those steps could be implemented here with our privacy laws, although we seem to be losing privacy anyway with technology (everywhere it seems). Facebook has produced tracing reports with user data.

Hopefully we can learn enough from this pandemic to balance mitigation efforts while keeping things going.

Here's what is stated about South Korea's process:

"...officials there used a test focused on the same gene targets as the World Health Organization's recommended test, according to the website of a test manufacturer. The government then quickly allowed private sector labs to produce it.

As a result.....mobilized to test more than 20,000 people a day. South Korea also instituted drive-through testing centres, allowing quicker identification of those who were infected, but might not be displaying symptoms, thus slowing the emergence of new cases to a more manageable level."

Lets see how they proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    After the MERS outbreak in 2015 South Korea revised laws on strict contact-tracing. When Coronavirus arrived they developed a 30 minute rapid test with 51 (52?) drive through sites.

South Korea has the highest number of cell phones per capita in the world, one of the highest rates of cashless transactions (highest?) and a vast array of cameras). South Korean health officials have access to everyone’s cell phone data and cashless transactions. Combined with the cameras they are very sophisticated with contact-tracing.

When anyone tests positive they quickly quarantine with strict house arrest. They separate family members and track every movement. Their cameras are advanced enough to detect if someone isn’t wearing their mask properly.

It’s a very Orwellian approach. I don’t think those steps could be implemented here with our privacy laws, although we seem to be losing privacy anyway with technology (everywhere it seems). Facebook has produced tracing reports with user data.

Hopefully we can learn enough from this pandemic to balance mitigation efforts while keeping things going.
    Thx. Once again, I made another post just as you were posting. Just coincidence, but it's cool.

I don't know much about South Korea in terms of their daily approach to this, other than it seemed they got a super fast start on this thing. They are clearly different than many of our countries, based on what you posted. But the mortality rate is almost unbelievable to date. Their total is lower than NY State's best day in some time (289 - 2 days ago)….thank God that these numbers are coming down!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-02-2020 at 08:58 AM.

South Korea has the highest number of cell phones per capita in the world, one of the highest rates of cashless transactions (highest?) and a vast array of cameras). South Korean health officials have access to everyoneís cell phone data and cashless transactions. Combined with the cameras they are very sophisticated with contact-tracing.

When anyone tests positive they quickly quarantine with strict house arrest. They separate family members and track every movement. Their cameras are advanced enough to detect if someone isnít wearing their mask properly.

Itís a very Orwellian approach. I donít think those steps could be implemented here with our privacy laws, although we seem to be losing privacy anyway with technology (everywhere it seems). Facebook has produced tracing reports with user data.

I agree that the face recognition probably wouldnít fly here. It makes me wonder how intense the contact tracing will get. Will it be the same everywhere, or will it be different dependent on how many cases in that city/state?

UPMC doctor argues COVID-19 not as deadly as feared, says its hospitals will shift back to normal

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...to-normal.html
    I did some quick research on it a few days ago, because you can't get a straight answer from the media these days. That guy is probably right, because most cases aren't even reported. So, the mortality rates are only pertaining to people who have been tested positive. However, among severe cases, where people are hospitalized and/or tested, the reported rate is probably lower than the actual rate (unless they're projecting for the rate of infection). This is because of the long period of incubation and sickness. So the reported rate of mortality at any given time will not match the actual rate of infection during the outbreak. Since SARS-CoV-2 is so contagious, I don't think they can conclusively pin down what the rate of infection is going to be that far into the future, so I don't know how they can say for sure what the actual mortality rate is. I think it's an educated guess at best. This is before entering variables like geographical location, where preventative measures, testing, and treatment vary.

I know that there are 7 strains of Corona Virus. 4 of them are not as bad, and have become endemic. 3 of them are more severe. SARS-CoV was contained back in the early 2000's. MERS-CoV comes from Camels in Saudi Arabia, and only transmits through close contact (Oookaaaay, I'll let you do what you want with that one). SARS-CoV-2, which causes Covid 19, is more contagious. If it becomes endemic like H1N1 did, it's going to kill a lot more people. H1N1 had like a .001 to .007% mortality rate, and there were pre-existing Influenza medications in place that were effective in treating it. The incubation period for H1N1 is also shorter, so the rate of infection goes down, because people know they're sick faster.

This article is a good read for anyone who wants some tangible information:

https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkin...9__SARS_CoV_2_

Thanks Spice, Iíll check it out.