Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Thats what I have been saying all along, glad someone finally posted it. Italy is a UNIQUE case, they have the 2nd oldest population in the world and many older members live with family.

Also not surprised with what is happening in China, I have said all along that we are about 2 months behind China who have peaked and are now returning to normality.

The panic that has been created is madness. Viruses are nothing new, in the UK the common flu kills 8000 a year and 6500 between Sep-March. Some people act like there is no illness or virus outside of this 'covid-19', they don't have the news and numbers shoved down their throats every day, if they did I guarantee there would be the same hysteria about sickness bugs that kill, flu, colds, etc...........

Like a lot of things, truth often lies within the margins of extremes.

This illness is bad. True. Not for reasons of mortality rates, which thankfully continues to fall (no disrespect toward those lost) (see thread). The issue it rate of infection and the number that require medical intervention. There are only so many beds to go around, so many ventilators, etc. Too many serious cases breaks the system where a reasonably manageable illness for most becomes deadly for lack of necessary care.

So while it does not rise to the level in terms of mortality by raw numbers compared to other infectious diseases it is bad in its own way due to sheer numbers. Add in comorbidities and other factors like age, smoking, etc., it isn't good.

China - I want to hope what they are saying is true, but anything out of there must be taken with a grain of salt. Their handling of this to begin with is a reason the world is in the state it currently is in. They have already be highly dishonest on this subject.

As for the craziness, sigh, people are sheep. Fear may be the most highly contagious agent in the world and causes normal, rational people to act contrary to their own reason. Then there is the fear of those who are acting irrationally, i.e., if they buy out all the toilet paper because of their fear, I might not have any for my own needs.

It's easy to put down the fearful, but if I look at them as infected - not with coronvirus but an equally infectious contagion of fear, then it's easier to understand their actions even if I might not agree with them.

Well, I am still going to work on Monday. It's been a weird few hours and gives me great sympathy for those not as fortunate - a friend of mine had to close his business and lay off employees. We are 'critical infrastructure' and basically employees have the option, in our industry at least, not to work if we so choose.

Strange times...

When times get complex, sometimes it's good to make it simple, though it is not easy.

But in this world of travel and almost seamless borders, moreso within countries (think of states or provinces), you might want to look at it like a school bus or children's group. You count each one, put them in areas of safety, and count each one at each change of venue. Therefore each unit has total control. If all do the same, the control is almost iron clad.

But if you let kids move from bus to bus, or lose track of them when on outside excursions, the control factor diminishes. With that is fear, and even panic.

So lets let our individual "smart" leaders control the best way they can. Stay on our busses. Do not wander. Listen up. Eventually, even if some of the bus riders get ill or whatever, you can deal with, because you have enough resources to do so. Not so if one bus gets overloaded in proportion to the staff/equipment/needs.

We can do this!

We found out today that Farmers & careworkers are amongst the designated "keyworkers" here in the U.K which means their children have the right to go to School even though Schools are officially closed to the majority.
    My son being a Farmer, his partner a Nursing Home care assistant are eligible for this. They haven't yet decided whether they will take up this offer.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post

This illness is bad. True. Not for reasons of mortality rates, which thankfully continues to fall (no disrespect toward those lost) (see thread). The issue it rate of infection and the number that require medical intervention. There are only so many beds to go around, so many ventilators, etc. Too many serious cases breaks the system where a reasonably manageable illness for most becomes deadly for lack of necessary care.

So while it does not rise to the level in terms of mortality by raw numbers compared to other infectious diseases it is bad in its own way due to sheer numbers. Add in comorbidities and other factors like age, smoking, etc., it isn't good.

China - I want to hope what they are saying is true, but anything out of there must be taken with a grain of salt. Their handling of this to begin with is a reason the world is in the state it currently is in. They have already be highly dishonest on this subject.

As for the craziness, sigh, people are sheep. Fear may be the most highly contagious agent in the world and causes normal, rational people to act contrary to their own reason. Then there is the fear of those who are acting irrationally, i.e., if they buy out all the toilet paper because of their fear, I might not have any for my own needs.

It's easy to put down the fearful, but if I look at them as infected - not with coronvirus but an equally infectious contagion of fear, then it's easier to understand their actions even if I might not agree with them
    This is a fair point, and I should not be too critical of these people. A lot of society are sheep and are far more fearful in life then they should be, but I shouldn't be too nasty towards them, its just a very sad sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    This is a fair point, and I should not be too critical of these people. A lot of society are sheep and are far more fearful in life then they should be, but I shouldn't be too nasty towards them, its just a very sad sight to see.
    Nowt wrong with sheep
    I worry more about the Bulldogs!

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    We found out today that Farmers & careworkers are amongst the designated "keyworkers" here in the U.K which means their children have the right to go to School even though Schools are officially closed to the majority.
    My son being a Farmer, his partner a Nursing Home care assistant are eligible for this. They haven't yet decided whether they will take up this offer.
    Just announced that everything will shut and be reviewed every 30 days from tonight. I think there are going to be a lot of problems as a result of this if the recent interviews I have watched on sky news are anything to go by, you cannot shut down life and expect people to just have nothing.

These ridiculous measures will lead to massive social problems in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats what I have been saying all along, glad someone finally posted it. Italy is a UNIQUE case, they have the 2nd oldest population in the world and many older members live with family.

Also not surprised with what is happening in China, I have said all along that we are about 2 months behind China who have peaked and are now returning to normality.

The panic that has been created is madness. Viruses are nothing new, in the UK the common flu kills 8000 a year and 6500 between Sep-March. Some people act like there is no illness or virus outside of this 'covid-19', they don't have the news and numbers shoved down their throats every day, if they did I guarantee there would be the same hysteria about sickness bugs that kill, flu, colds, etc...........
    Bronx, I understand your reluctance to obey media hysteria. What I wonder is why you would be reluctant to listen to medical professionals that all agree this is a serious and dangerous situation that will get exponentially worse if the right measures aren't taken? These same professionals say this virus is NOT like the cold, the flu, or anything we've seen before in recent history? I have friends in the medical community, one of which has a PHD and specializes in infectious disease. What makes you more qualified to understand this virus than her and other people who actually study these things?

You also point to China and South Korea as reasons not to panic, as it already seems to be getting better in those areas, yet you ignore that those areas have taken the strong measures that you claim to be unnecessary. These measures are much stronger than the US and UK have taken, so why would you expect the results to be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post

It's easy to put down the fearful, but if I look at them as infected - not with coronvirus but an equally infectious contagion of fear, then it's easier to understand their actions even if I might not agree with them.
    Those who fear the market shut downs could be considered to be sheep of fear just the same
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Those who fear the market shut downs could be considered to be sheep of fear just the same
    Fear manifests itself in numerous ways for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    Bronx, I understand your reluctance to obey media hysteria. What I wonder is why you would be reluctant to listen to medical professionals that all agree this is a serious and dangerous situation that will get exponentially worse if the right measures aren't taken? These same professionals say this virus is NOT like the cold, the flu, or anything we've seen before in recent history? I have friends in the medical community, one of which has a PHD and specializes in infectious disease. What makes you more qualified to understand this virus than her and other people who actually study these things?

You also point to China and South Korea as reasons not to panic, as it already seems to be getting better in those areas, yet you ignore that those areas have taken the strong measures that you claim to be unnecessary. These measures are much stronger than the US and UK have taken, so why would you expect the results to be the same?
    You along with others here are right on the mark as far as I am concerned. Seems to always come down to facts, science, expertise and how to best utilize all of them as one.

I actually think some of the fear and panic comes from faulty information that is disseminated, or hidden initially.

Yes, those who took it serious are ahead of the curve. Those who knew it was coming, and did nothing for weeks or months, are fighting an uphill battle.

I do see another positive however....those who can not lead, who point at others, who downplay, who want to hide info....will lose their positions in due course.

Bold, South Korea is a very good point. While there is good reason to be somewhat suspicious of the new out of China, South Korea has no interest to make up what is happening there, and, thankfully, they are having good results.

Newport Oregon Police Department
    March 14 at 9:49 PM
    It’s hard to believe that we even have to post this. Do not call 9-1-1 just because you ran out of toilet paper. You will survive without our assistance.

In fact, history offers many other options for you in your time of need if you cannot find a roll of your favorite soft, ultra plush two-ply citrus scented tissue.

Seamen used old rope and anchor lines soaked in salt water. Ancient Romans used a sea sponge on a stick, also soaked in salt water. We are a coastal town. We have an abundance of salt water available. Sea shells were also used.

Mayans used corn cobs. Colonial Americans also used the core of the cob. Farmers not only used corn cobs, but used pages from the Farmers Almanac. Many Americans took advantage of the numerous pages torn from free catalogs such as Sears and Roebuck. The Sears Christmas catalog, four times thicker than the normal catalog, could get a family of three wiped clean from December through Valentine’s Day; or Saint Patrick’s Day if they were frugal.

Then, of course, there are always alternatives to toilet paper. Grocery receipts, newspaper, cloth rags, lace, cotton balls, and that empty toilet paper roll sitting on the holder right now. Plus, there are a variety of leaves you can safely use. Mother Earth News magazine will even tell you how to make your own wipes using fifteen different leaves. When all else fails, you have magazine pages. Start saving those catalogs you get in the mail that you usually toss into the recycle bin. Be resourceful. Be patient. There is a TP shortage. This too shall pass. Just don’t call 9-1-1. We cannot bring you toilet paper.

https://www.facebook.com/NewportPoli...51320062944944

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Bronx you're just dug in now -- there's not going to be any open minded consensus.

There are experts out there who have advice for us all. To ignore it and call it conspiracy is risky to say the least. Are you an expert on Virology? Economics? Sociology? Psychology? Journalism?

Or you just feel deep in your bones -as a hunch- that it's all just an over reaction despite the fact that none of us has ever seen our countries leaders react like this. Even Trump started out glazing over this thing but there was a day last week where he did a 180 and something changed his mind quick. Not that Trump is any kind of indicator of reality..... but he is one stubborn dude.

I think I'll trust the experts of the world's opinion because I'm not an expert. Even the most knowledgeable in the field of medicine have stopped all elective surgeries as Peerless pointed out(which his post sums it all up quite well). You say media is to blame for this over reaction? I know of a certain few contrarian media outlets who are trumpeting the same thing you are.

I'm concerned you're not worried in the least. Because that's the kind of attitude that could get you sick............or worse you get someone you love sick or someone you don't even know sick (who will get 3 more people sick etc).

To be completely fair, I do understand where you're coming from though. This is frustrating. The last bank bailout made bankers rich. No one went to jail. Very little help got the average person We've already bailed out the stock markets and they kept tanking

But what's scary is Both USA and South Korea confirmed their first virus case on the same day. Since then ..........S Korea has tested over 300000 of it's citizens and their confirmed cases have been declining in the last couple weeks ...................while the USA with 6x the population we've tested 25000 people and the results are obvious. Yet rich people seem to be able to get tested. On one hand you want to trust the leaders but you have to think for your self too.

A lot of good posts with information in this thread. I especially like these two.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Hydroxychloroquine is what I'm taking for my lupus. First thought I had was, will this help prevent me from getting COVID-19? I don't want to find out. I know it should prevent me from getting malaria. Second thought, while I want something to help people with the virus, I hope it won't make it difficult to get my meds. It's not as strong, so hopefully, I'm safe.

MD has shut down more things. Gov. Hogan said that there is a website for Marylanders to share good stories. I'm sure other states have that, too. I've also seen apps that connect people who want to help each other. Sometimes social media can be brutal, but at times like this, it can be very positive.
    Got an email from a Lupus Foundation that said that they are working with appropriate agencies to assure that we continue to get our meds. That's good news for us.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "