Page 97 of 131 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1957

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Sorry bronx - but comparing your lack of duty or responsibility to protect vulnerable people against the foolishness of supermarket arrow guidelines for throughput is completely irrational, and not even close to the same level. I mean - they are arrows... ARROWS on the floor to help promote throughput and social distancing. What is the big friggin deal? Because someone is telling or guiding others to help promote safety?

    You say it's not your job to protect vulnerable people. I'd like for you to tell that to someone in your family, close group of friends, or to a community leader who IS vulnerable.

    You don't have to rationalize your statement to me or anyone else here to try and make it "okay." I think both you and I and everyone else here knows that deep down, that that's not the type of person you are - and you would care for those who are at risk.
    As I have said I don't get in peoples personal space, I use anti bac gel, and I don't visit my elderly relatives. That is using common sense without going to the nth degree of extremes.

    I have to work and mix with people, I have to shop and go about my daily life. I can't be wondering if every single human I pass on the street is vulnerable. So I go back to my original point that it is the responsibility of the person who is vulnerable to protect themselves the best they can, they cannot expect everyones way of life to completely change for a small minority of people.

    I would say exactly the same if I was a vulnerable person. I always take personal responsibility in life and this would be no different.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I really have no problem with the arrows (although they're useless) my problem is with the busy bodies who start yelling when you take three steps against the arrow to grab a different product.

    As for you wearing a mask, that's awesome, keep it up.
    Get off my lawn!



    Like most situations, there's extremes on both sides. People who don't care who cough on people/things, have virus parties to see who can get infected first. Early on, I read about a 30-something in an ER pushing a 70-something when she got too close. Unfortunately, the 70-something hit her head and died.

    It seems like if we respect each other (general "each other") and show kindness/mindfulness, it would take care of the stupid little things.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  3. #1443
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I would say exactly the same if I was a vulnerable person. I always take personal responsibility in life and this would be no different.
    I hope you never have to find out. Trust me, when "you" or "close friend/family" changes to "I" / "me", it can change perceptions.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  4. #1444
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Get off my lawn!



    Like most situations, there's extremes on both sides. People who don't care who cough on people/things, have virus parties to see who can get infected first. Early on, I read about a 30-something in an ER pushing a 70-something when she got too close. Unfortunately, the 70-something hit her head and died.

    It seems like if we respect each other (general "each other") and show kindness/mindfulness, it would take care of the stupid little things.
    Unfortuantly there are many stupid people around

  5. #1445
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Unfortuantly there are many stupid people around
    Attention, everyone!

    bronx and I agree on something.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I hope you never have to find out. Trust me, when "you" or "close friend/family" changes to "I" / "me", it can change perceptions.
    I guess one of the biggest differences is that I am living in the UK where the rate is so low now most people are back to normal and its forgotton about.

    It sounds like it is much worse in the States so I can see how attitudes are different.

    To everyone who says I should do more, what exactly do you guys think I should be doing (as I have stated I don't get in peoples personal space, use anti-bac gel, and don't visit elderly relatives).

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Attention, everyone!

    bronx and I agree on something.
    lol

    I want everyone to be safe and respect people in the ways I have mentioned (and I have always done this, way before covid). Its just when I am walking down the street and someone crosses over to the other side of the road, or when some people wanted the police to arrest anyone going to a pub or restaurant re-opening Saturday and charged with manslaughter.

    I applaud sensible measures. I just can't tolerate people acting ridiculous.

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,350
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Its just one of many things that are a hassle. Life is hard enough as it is, I work long hours and during my free time I don't want to be queing for everything, wondering if I need a mask to certain places, following stupid arrows around a supermarket so I have to go down literally every single aisle.

    I believe that there are a lot of things put in place to appease certain groups of people so the leaders don't get criticised, but many of them don't really make a difference.

    Bottom line is I have seen the news and the stats, if I am under 70 and not got bad health problems there is a 0.3 pc chance of me contracting this and getting serious problems in hospital. That is far too low for me to change the way I live, and there is always risk in live. Accidents, illness, and death was around before covid and will be around when its gone. Why should I make my life much worse with such a risiculously piddley chance of having this seriously.
    The wondering if you need a mask for things is easy, yes you do, even if it's not required... It's the least selfish and easy thing you can do to protect others...

    I wore one today to my second interview. Was it an inconvenience? Yes, but I knew that I was doing what I could to look out for the wellbeing of others, because other people's well being is more important than a minor inconvenience on my part.

    To not wear a mask would be extremely selfish of me.


  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    The wondering if you need a mask for things is easy, yes you do, even if it's not required... It's the least selfish and easy thing you can do to protect others...

    I wore one today to my second interview. Was it an inconvenience? Yes, but I knew that I was doing what I could to look out for the wellbeing of others, because other people's well being is more important than a minor inconvenience on my part.

    To not wear a mask would be extremely selfish of me.
    People in the UK never took to masks, even during the April/May peak. Walking around towns and cities you will see around 1 in 25/30 people with a mask on, it is a rare sight. Some people even cam out and said that they do not like being stared at because they wear a mask, it is not a common thing over here.

    It recently became mandotory to wear one on buses and trains, although this is rarely enforced.

    I guess it goes back to the fact that over here the rate is very low, whereas the States seem to have much bigger outbreaks in certain states.

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,965
    This is a recent article about face masks over here -


    Senior scientists issued an urgent call on Tuesday for Britons to protect themselves and others against coronavirus infection by wearing face coverings, which they said had a much lower uptake in the UK than in the US and elsewhere in Europe.

    The Royal Society, Britain’s national academy of sciences, issued two separate reports that emphasise the benefits of face masks for reducing the risk of infection both for the wearer and for people around them.

    “The UK is way behind many countries in terms of wearing masks and issuing clear policies and guidelines about mask wearing for the public,” said Venki Ramakrishnan, president of the Royal Society.

    “The public have taken to handwashing and distancing but remain sceptical about face coverings,” Sir Venki added. “You only need to go on public transport, where they are supposed to be mandatory, to see how many people are ignoring this new rule based on the growing body of evidence that wearing a mask will help protect others — and might even protect you.”

  11. #1451
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,707
    My view on masks is if it makes you feel safe then by all means wear one. If you are healthy then I ask you to NOT wear one because they can make you sick. Wearing a mask for any extended period of time is harmful to you. You are breathing in carbon monoxide!! Our regular everyday intake of oxygen is between 19.5 and 21%. If you get below 19.5 percent you start to get into harmful and hazardous air quality. 17% and below you can start to get headaches and start to black out.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

    Here is a link to a video to the validity of my facts

  12. #1452
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,140
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    My view on masks is if it makes you feel safe then by all means wear one. If you are healthy then I ask you to NOT wear one because they can make you sick. Wearing a mask for any extended period of time is harmful to you. You are breathing in carbon monoxide!! Our regular everyday intake of oxygen is between 19.5 and 21%. If you get below 19.5 percent you start to get into harmful and hazardous air quality. 17% and below you can start to get headaches and start to black out.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

    Here is a link to a video to the validity of my facts
    That is ridiculous... I better tell that to the neurosurgeon who just brought me a fresh crani who just got done operating on a dudes brain for the past 12 hours with his mask on!

    I also better be careful too, as I've been wearing a mask for the last nine hours of my shift! Three more hours to go with it on as well!

    Carbon dioxide molecules are simply too small to be controlled by the majority of mask materials and simply pass right through. You will not get hypoxic wearing a mask...Unless your lungs are paralyzed and not passing air...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/5260106002/
    Last edited by Peerless; 07-08-2020 at 04:18 PM.

  13. #1453
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,350
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    My view on masks is if it makes you feel safe then by all means wear one. If you are healthy then I ask you to NOT wear one because they can make you sick. Wearing a mask for any extended period of time is harmful to you. You are breathing in carbon monoxide!! Our regular everyday intake of oxygen is between 19.5 and 21%. If you get below 19.5 percent you start to get into harmful and hazardous air quality. 17% and below you can start to get headaches and start to black out.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

    Here is a link to a video to the validity of my facts
    That's rubbish... Doctors and nurses have been wearing them for ages for hours and hours on end...

    It's amazing that people will so blindly buy into rubbish like that with so little facts to back it up.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-08-2020 at 06:06 PM.


  14. #1454
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    That is ridiculous... I better tell that to the neurosurgeon who just brought me a fresh crani who just got done operating on a dudes brain for the past 12 hours with his mask on!

    I also better be careful too, as I've been wearing a mask for the last nine hours of my shift! Three more hours to go with it on as well!

    Carbon dioxide molecules are simply too small to be controlled by the majority of mask materials and simply pass right through. You will not get hypoxic wearing a mask...Unless your lungs are paralyzed and not passing air...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/5260106002/
    I have to work with OSHA regulated rules. I am not allowed into a confined space if the oxygen level is below 17%, call it rubbish all you want. I am healthy and refuse to put a mask on, that's my freedom of choice. No governor or anyone else can force that on an individual. Prove to me that masks ACTUALLY STOP ANYTHING from entering or exiting the covered space....they don't. This type of minipulation to the public is what is ridiculous.

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,548
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I have to work with OSHA regulated rules. I am not allowed into a confined space if the oxygen level is below 17%, call it rubbish all you want. I am healthy and refuse to put a mask on, that's my freedom of choice. No governor or anyone else can force that on an individual. Prove to me that masks ACTUALLY STOP ANYTHING from entering or exiting the covered space....they don't. This type of minipulation to the public is what is ridiculous.
    That is being challenged in court as we speak. The Governor of Washington has mandated masks. It is being challenged in court. So, it might hold up and be precedent for other states to do the same thing. Now, I doubt youll find police forces running around and citing people, but who knows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •