Page 139 of 152 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2280

Thread: Corona virus

No one who is getting paid 100% of their paychecks to stay at home is going to want to go back to work in the Covid-19 environment they keep seeing on the news in the USA.
    The question is...have we done bad enough for these stubborn coaches to make some changes...or will the sinking continue

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats a shock. Teachers who have been at home for months are reluctant to go back to the workplace lol.

We saw the same thing over here where the government wanted the schools to open up in June but the school unions and teachers kicked off and tried to drag it out as long as possible.

The leaders are elected to govern our respective countries and when they decide it is safe enough to do so they need to tell the schools they are restarting on a certain date, its not a discussion. Any school who does not re-open or teacher who does not want to work needs to face consequences for that.

Since our schools and nurseries opened back up there have been zero problems, albeit most schools run on rotations until September. The vast majority of people have been back at work for months and it is part of life. Some key workers have never stopped working. I am tired of teachers and their unions trying to stay at home as long as possible, instead of being lazy they need to get a grip and get back to work.
    As a teacher, your comments are insulting at the very least.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattper.../#50112f4c79ba

But hey, nothing to worry about, it's just some schools in some States experiencing COVID infections the first week back. It will die down in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post

But hey, nothing to worry about, it's just some schools in some States experiencing COVID infections the first week back. It will die down in a couple weeks.
    Hey 51, what would you know, a teacher from The US, talking about a teacher situation in the US??

Thats a shock. Teachers who have been at home for months are reluctant to go back to the workplace lol.

We saw the same thing over here where the government wanted the schools to open up in June but the school unions and teachers kicked off and tried to drag it out as long as possible.

The leaders are elected to govern our respective countries and when they decide it is safe enough to do so they need to tell the schools they are restarting on a certain date, its not a discussion. Any school who does not re-open or teacher who does not want to work needs to face consequences for that.

Since our schools and nurseries opened back up there have been zero problems, albeit most schools run on rotations until September. The vast majority of people have been back at work for months and it is part of life. Some key workers have never stopped working. I am tired of teachers and their unions trying to stay at home as long as possible, instead of being lazy they need to get a grip and get back to work.
    Maybe this is unrelated, but can you explain the unfortunate economic situation in The UK, which has had a very difficult 2nd quarter, and is weaker compared to other progressive countries? (Germany, France, Italy, Canada and The US) Also, Britain has suffered the highest covid related death toll in Europe.

We saw it over here, teachers dragged their feet until they were literally told they had to go back, just like many other people who have worked through this in environments where social distancing is imposiible.

I work at a nursery with an under 2's group and no one their can social distance but its important to get on with life and espeically important for the children to interact socially with children of their own age, I would not want any children to keep being deprived of their childhood as they have been most of this year.

There should be a willingness in the education group to get on with things for the sake of the children, just as many other sectors are.

People who do not believe that many people unwilling to go back to work are being lazy are incredibly naive to human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Maybe this is unrelated, but can you explain the unfortunate economic situation in The UK, which has had a very difficult 2nd quarter, and is weaker compared to other progressive countries? (Germany, France, Italy, Canada and The US) Also, Britain has suffered the highest covid related death toll in Europe.
    No idea to be honest.

I am not a big supporter of Boris or the government but in their defence we were always going to have the highest excess rate in europe for reasons I have covered on here, and can cover again if you like.

As for the economy I don't know. I have said for months that we have been overly cautious in keeping so many businesses closed for far too long and the general feeling over here is that the worst thing that happened in this whole Covid thing is that Boris caught Covid, because since then he has been very cautious and over the top in his decision making. Our numbers from the end of May onwards did not justify keeping everything closed until July 4th.

The other problem is masks as I have mentioned a lot. People over here do not wear masks, they never have through this whole thing. Anywhere you go, whether its high streets, zoos, national parks, etc...... you will see roughly 1 in 20/25 wearing a mask. I speak to people at my work place and they hate them as much as I do. So when they were made compulsory a few weeks ago in shops it was obvious that people would stop going and numbers would drastically go down.

I see it in my family. My fiancee loves shopping for a whole day with her Mum and spends money, they cannot stand wearing the mask for more then 5 minutes so simply don't go until the rule is lifted, that is the same with thousands of people.

Even my parents who are generlly accepting of any rules hate the masks and now they get their food shopping delivered online, rather thenheading into town and browsing the shops and spending money during their big shop day.

I wish some people on the board could spend 1 week with me over here, then they would see exactly what I am saying.

The other obvious problem is that as an island we are a big import/export country to europe and when the borders shut it was always going to have a bigger impact on us then mainland europe.

No idea to be honest.

I am not a big supporter of Boris or the government but in their defence we were always going to have the highest excess rate in europe for reasons I have covered on here, and can cover again if you like.

As for the economy I don't know. I have said for months that we have been overly cautious in keeping so many businesses closed for far too long and the general feeling over here is that the worst thing that happened in this whole Covid thing is that Boris caught Covid, because since then he has been very cautious and over the top in his decision making. Our numbers from the end of May onwards did not justify keeping everything closed until July 4th.

The other problem is masks as I have mentioned a lot. People over here do not wear masks, they never have through this whole thing. Anywhere you go, whether its high streets, zoos, national parks, etc...... you will see roughly 1 in 20/25 wearing a mask. I speak to people at my work place and they hate them as much as I do. So when they were made compulsory a few weeks ago in shops it was obvious that people would stop going and numbers would drastically go down.

I see it in my family. My fiancee loves shopping for a whole day with her Mum and spends money, they cannot stand wearing the mask for more then 5 minutes so simply don't go until the rule is lifted, that is the same with thousands of people.

Even my parents who are generlly accepting of any rules hate the masks and now they get their food shopping delivered online, rather thenheading into town and browsing the shops and spending money during their big shop day.

I wish some people on the board could spend 1 week with me over here, then they would see exactly what I am saying.

The other obvious problem is that as an island we are a big import/export country to europe and when the borders shut it was always going to have a bigger impact on us then mainland europe.
    My point is that some of us are seemingly doing better than others, but we have all had our struggles and setbacks, our beliefs and our realizations. Leaders need to lead, but citizens have their own feelings. Some are overly cautious, some are risky, and most are in the middle. If teachers don't feel safe, I get it. It's not always about the media, but personal concern, and often, personal research.

At some point however, I believe we should all factor in one citizen responsibilty.....to take care of themselves BUT to make sure their actions are not a negative impact on others. Especially in terms of health.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    My point is that some of us are seemingly doing better than others, but we have all had our struggles and setbacks, our beliefs and our realizations. Leaders need to lead, but citizens have their own feelings. Some are overly cautious, some are risky, and most are in the middle. If teachers don't feel safe, I get it. It's not always about the media, but personal concern, and often, personal research.

At some point however, I believe we should all factor in one citizen responsibilty.....to take care of themselves BUT to make sure their actions are not a negative impact on others. Especially in terms of health.
    Make no mistake about it, every month a child is not at school/nursery it is extremely damaging to their development. Online learning is not such a big deal with college student but pre-school/junior/high school children need to be in a learning environment with other children. When many other sectors are back at work there is no excuse for schools not to open.

If teachers want to stay at home and continue to damage millions of children developing because of a remote risk they will test positive and have problems then that is shameful. Many sectors cannot distance and have been working for months, I guess they are special.

It is also pretty obvious that a high percentage of teachers will be reluctant to leave their 'work from home' lifestyles if they are still getting fully paid. The white house were elected to lead the country and they need to give a 'go-back-to-school' date, and if any teacher refuses then they should be dismissed. Actions have consequences and most people need to work and cannot do what they like, they are no different.

Make no mistake about it, every month a child is not at school/nursery it is extremely damaging to their development. Online learning is not such a big deal with college student but pre-school/junior/high school children need to be in a learning environment with other children. When many other sectors are back at work there is no excuse for schools not to open.

If teachers want to stay at home and continue to damage millions of children developing because of a remote risk they will test positive and have problems then that is shameful. Many sectors cannot distance and have been working for months, I guess they are special.

It is also pretty obvious that a high percentage of teachers will be reluctant to leave their 'work from home' lifestyles if they are still getting fully paid. The white house were elected to lead the country and they need to give a 'go-back-to-school' date, and if any teacher refuses then they should be dismissed. Actions have consequences and most people need to work and cannot do what they like, they are no different.
    Well, so much to unpack here. But I guess I can counter that lazy argument with there are people here who are just like you who refuse to wear masks that are also raising their kids to not do so, and still expect to send them to school to be with people who expect some form of social respect. There are already cases springing up where schools have opened here. Just how much face to face time and socializing do you think kids are going to get if they're being quarantined every month because there are cases being brought in to the school every month?

And as a teacher I can tell you a majority of us WANT to go back and be with kids. Most of us worked harder doing remote because it is absolutely tougher to replicate the classroom experience online. We know our students need that experience. But their health and the health of the teachers is greater than that. Maybe the White House needs to give an every child will wear a mask if they want to attend school mandate, and we will make sure every school has enough PPE and cleaning supplies, and they will have rapid testing available to every student. But if you do a little research, you will see that is not happening. Hence the apprehension to just go back into the petri dish.

Well, so much to unpack here. But I guess I can counter that lazy argument with there are people here who are just like you who refuse to wear masks that are also raising their kids to not do so, and still expect to send them to school to be with people who expect some form of social respect. There are already cases springing up where schools have opened here. Just how much face to face time and socializing do you think kids are going to get if they're being quarantined every month because there are cases being brought in to the school every month?

And as a teacher I can tell you a majority of us WANT to go back and be with kids. Most of us worked harder doing remote because it is absolutely tougher to replicate the classroom experience online. We know our students need that experience. But their health and the health of the teachers is greater than that. Maybe the White House needs to give an every child will wear a mask if they want to attend school mandate, and we will make sure every school has enough PPE and cleaning supplies, and they will have rapid testing available to every student. But if you do a little research, you will see that is not happening. Hence the apprehension to just go back into the petri dish.
    I know over here the mask wearing for children never got off the ground, partly for the obvious danger hazard covering a childs mouth and nose, and younger children would find it very scary and unsettling.

Without going into a massive block of text I just don't agree with living in fear. Put measures in place and get on with life, get on with schools as normal because it is far more damaging to many children to be isolated for months then any virus you can conjur up.

We opened up like many countries and surprise surprise there have been no issues.

I know the states has a higher rate then most places but it amazes me, and others I speak to, about how much of a fear factor American people seem to have. It is only what we see on the news so if that is unfair then I will accept that I am wrong, but whether it is sports, work, or life in general the UK, Europe, Australasia, etc...... seem to have much more willingness to get on with life and get their country back to normality and just accept the virus is around and that there is always a risk is life, and like many risks the chances of testing positive and having serious problems are pretty low.

I guess every country is different but that is the general view that many have on the states whenever we watch the news.............. although we all know the news is sensasionalist.

We opened up like many countries and surprise surprise there have been no issues.
    That's not what I read

I read schools are having to quarantine kids because possible outbreak ........ already
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    That's not what I read

I read schools are having to quarantine kids because possible outbreak ........ already
    I would like to see a report about that, we have heard nothing about it.

We are at a stupidly low rate of 14 positive tests per 100,000 people so life is, and rightly so, going on as normal for the vast majority of people. We have had a week of high temperatures and you should see how many people have flocked to all the hotspots. People are just living their life.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    That's not what I read

How is that possible? Schools in Scotland just started reopening yesterday and the fall school term in England doesn't start until early September.

I would like to see a report about that, we have heard nothing about it.

We are at a stupidly low rate of 14 positive tests per 100,000 people so life is, and rightly so, going on as normal for the vast majority of people. We have had a week of high temperatures and you should see how many people have flocked to all the hotspots. People are just living their life.
    This is what it is like here in the UK. This article is from 2 weeks ago but the temps have remained similar since then. As it is school holidays this is the scene every day. Apart from the ridiculous mask rule in the shops that is detested and often ignored you would not know there was anything different at the moment if you lived here.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weathe...otter-12039756

This is what it is like here in the UK. This article is from 2 weeks ago but the temps have remained similar since then. As it is school holidays this is the scene every day. Apart from the ridiculous mask rule in the shops that is detested and often ignored you would not know there was anything different at the moment if you lived here.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weathe...otter-12039756
    So are you good with how things have gone? Highest death total in Europe, and as far as I can decipher, about 46,000 or more covid deaths in a population of approx. 68 million. Please correct me if I have inaccurate sources.

I am not saying Canada is doing a perfect job, but we have approx 9,000 covid deaths in a population of almost 37.8 million. And I think some of it has to do with distancing and some degree of mask wearing. Again...we could have done things better, as is the case of most countries.

But in simple mathematical terms, that's a death rate of about 5 times greater, in a population that is only about 1.8 times larger.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-12-2020 at 08:13 PM.