Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Well, of course that's excellent and literally saving millions. Just think if those farms shut down!

But look at your downtown. EVERYTHING is literally shutting down. This is going to collapse the economy. People aren't going to be be able to pay for their bills, rent/mortgage, debt. It's going to get bad.
    Yup....I don't know how we're going to make it if things stay shut down much longer... My wife is making half what she normally makes and we're a confirmed case at work away from not working anymore and not being paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Weird times.

My dad died on the 5th from an unrelated pulmonary disease, and I have had to postpone a funeral / burial service because of the restrictions on group sizes.

Hopefully our economy recovers well and soon.
    I'm very sorry for your loss, Housh. My prayers to you and your family.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Weird times.

My dad died on the 5th from an unrelated pulmonary disease, and I have had to postpone a funeral / burial service because of the restrictions on group sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss, Housh. My prayers to you and your family.
    I echo that sentiment. Sorry Housh!

Bless you and your family...

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I read the article in the new your times about that guy... He wanted sympathy for how it's put him in a financial hole...

Maybe don't be a selfish profiteering jerk next time when a major crisis is going down?
    The state was going to investigate him. He ended up being forced to donate the stuff to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    For me, I'm more worried about the financial side of this... My wife's a teacher, obviously schools will be closed for awhile (they are talking that they may not even finish the school year,so no paycheck for her until August) She's picked up hours at a daycare, but it doesn't pay nearly as well.

Then on the other side of that, my job is far from secure, my bosses are extremely paranoid at the moment and if you are caught coughing too much, they'll send you home. My spring time allergies are in full effect... I don't have enough in savings to survive this, the move here and not being able to find a job for 3 months really destroyed my savings account.
    You guys have been through something similar before. Prayers that things work out.

Weird times.

Housh, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers to your family.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Weird times.

Man, that's rough. I am sorry for your loss and how it's compounded by the current state of things.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Here's a case of positive news, though overseas...

Per Michele Steele:

South Korea has aggressively tested cases of COVID-19 and won praise for its handling of the pandemic. The country's basketball league now has games scheduled at the end of this month after a 4-week long hiatus.
    Glad to see at least one country handle this situation with common sense and not plunging themselves into ruin.

I don't care what the media pump out, there was a far better way for governments to handle this 'virus' then by shutting down life and crippling economies, ruining businesses, and costing hundreds of thousands of people their jobs.

They have already said that this is not just a health crisis now, but a financial one. They have brought this on themselves. 96.5 pc of people have this for 48 hours and are fine, there should never ever have been such a panicky reaction by global leaders (in order to avoid criticism) that are killing off peoples livelihoods.

They could easily have put sensible measures in place to protect the elderly and people with severe health problems. Then let life carry on and if people catch this virus then have 2-3 days at home sick and then back to life. Some people will die but unfortuantly that is unavoidable in life and if you look at numerous 'common' illnesses they blow these numbers out of the water, but life carries on.

I think it is shameful how this massive over-reaction is going to cost so many people their jobs and businesses. If catching this virus meant an 80 pc chance of dying and 20 pc of the worlds population were going to be wiped out then I would be supportive of all these actions taken, but this is absolutely pathetic.

They should have put sensible measures in place and carried on life as normal as much as they could. They can blame this 'virus' as much as they want but the reason countries will plunge into economic crisis is down to the media, the type of people who are hysterical and buy 100 packs of toilet roll, and most of all global leaders who pandered to all this craziness.

I don't care what the media pumps out, this has been dealt with in an embarassing, and costly, way.

I got a little bit of good news, my wife just got a call letting her know that even though schools are shut down until August basically, she's still getting paid for the next three months. On top of that she took a job in a daycare working for less full time to try and recover some of that lost income, it's now no longer lost income so we'll actually end up coming out ahead on all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Glad to see at least one country handle this situation with common sense and not plunging themselves into ruin.
    South Korea is seeing positive results because they acted quicker than the US did. Factories and schools were shut down in February. The Government encouraged businesses to give employees leave and to work from home when possible. They have GPS tracking to ensure that those in quarantine do not leave their homes. The Korean stock exchange is down 25% since February.

If you want to praise them for being successful, it is because they have taken Coronavirus more serious than we have in the US, and their quick action prevented the spread.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it will get much worse in the US before it gets better.
    Last edited by SecondsAway131; 03-17-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Well, western Canada has gone full blown deliberate overreaction..

Bars, restaurants, all closed, schools about to be, no more that 50 people in one place,

Police members to work alone in cars, no walk in clients,

Some Prisoners being released, no court.

Traffic Police told to not interact with speeders unless absolutely necessary

Dentists not seeing people...

And it goes on and on,,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I am a senior citizen with moderately compromised health issues; but that isn't what worries me the most. I'm being a good girl and staying home. But I'm about to run out of everything, including food. I've been on the internet most of the day looking for supplies, and as far as I can tell no one in the world has any toilet paper left! And no essential food; no milk, cheese, eggs, butter, etc., is available--until next week! It appears that grocery stores were totally unprepared for this. I usually order on line and pick up at the store, but there is no pickup for 7 or more days. I even went to several other stores, but nothing is available.

In no way am I unsympathetic to those who become very sick from this or die, but I am a bit concerned about those who are going to have to do without because a few misguided people (I want to say idiots, but that isn't nice) are buying up absolutely everything.

I think I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm hoping things calm down soon and we don't end up in a terrible financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mainBroncos60 View Post
    I am a senior citizen with moderately compromised health issues; but that isn't what worries me the most. I'm being a good girl and staying home. But I'm about to run out of everything, including food. I've been on the internet most of the day looking for supplies, and as far as I can tell no one in the world has any toilet paper left! And no essential food; no milk, cheese, eggs, butter, etc., is available--until next week! It appears that grocery stores were totally unprepared for this. I usually order on line and pick up at the store, but there is no pickup for 7 or more days. I even went to several other stores, but nothing is available.

In no way am I unsympathetic to those who become very sick from this or die, but I am a bit concerned about those who are going to have to do without because a few misguided people (I want to say idiots, but that isn't nice) are buying up absolutely everything.

I think I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm hoping things calm down soon and we don't end up in a terrible financial situation.
    Communities need to look after those most vulnerable. Any neighbors you might be able to reach out to, call maybe? I genuinely think people would understand and be willing to help.

This is a good place to "vent".

Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Communities need to look after those most vulnerable. Any neighbors you might be able to reach out to, call maybe? I genuinely think people would understand and be willing to help.
    I agree with this. There are some jerks (in this situation, I'm not going to be nice ) doing dumb things but there's also (mostly) good people who are willing to help. Maybe a local church?
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I think the stores, like Costco, are partly to blame as well as the "hoarding, selfish, me first" types, who I would never want to be on the same team with. But the Costcos have to put restrictions on goods. The ole toilet paper one is over discussed I suppose, but 1 per buyer! And if they can track, no one should be able to turn around and buy another one within a given time frame. Same applies to other goods, as best they can.

And I get tired of those boasting how they are going to do well during this time of need, because they overstocked, or they are fail safe in terms of money, etc. Does it make people feel good telling others who may need help, that they are doing just fine?

Think community. And if I may, don't just think internal community. Canadians can pass this virus to Americans. Americans can pass it to Canadians, and so on. This is not about me and you, it's about us. No pointing of fingers, just carry on with the task ahead. And that means being OVER cautious for next month or two, to slow this down, so that we do not force too many into the hospitals, and so that we don't slide from a certain recession into the D word.

Over-caution works. South Korea had a much better plan. Lets learn from it, not talk like it's just a flu of some sort.

I completely understand your sentiments. Take care.

Rastic, Peanut, CanDB, thank you for your kind words. I will be okay. I'm a tough old broad and probably, when I really check my pantry, I have more stuff than I think I do. Thanks again.