Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Just for discussion purposes, what do those of you think we should do, instead of take the measures we are now? I don't believe it's over reaction at this point, because we may be losing whatever control we need. Are you saying that we should let it run its course? Which to me translates to the following; massive load on the hospitals/medical force, large numbers of death that were unwarranted, including for those who had surgeries delayed because of the overloaded/understaffed hospitals, complete unknown future given we do not even understand how this virus will react going forward.

Do you folks know that this virus is unlike most. It is quick to mutate. Which is a huge medical concern, and should be for all of us. Until we understand it and come up with a cure, we are living in its world. Do we even know if it will come back stronger? I am serious folks, this is definitely a concern to me.

So take our so called medicine now, together, and get a real handle on this thing. We need control.
    It is going to run its course. The need is to slow it down so it does not overwhelm the system.

Most people will be ok regardless but if the system is strained to the point of breaking with so many people becoming sick then those most vulnerable who will require medical treatment will be hurt the most and will result in the needless loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    It is going to run its course. The need is to slow it down so it does not overwhelm the system.

Most people will be ok regardless but if the system is strained to the point of breaking with so many people becoming sick then those most vulnerable who will require medical treatment will be hurt the most and will result in the needless loss of life.
    Absolutely.
    And of course if the virus overwhelms the system, people with other health problems could die due to lack of treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Absolutely.
    And of course if the virus overwhelms the system, people with other health problems could die due to lack of treatment.
    I posted this on page 7 but i see some people are still thinking this is an overreaction so i will bump it up to here for more exposure.

Please read to better understand how social distancing helps with exponential growth.

Understanding Social Distancing

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    I posted this on page 7 but i see some people are still thinking this is an overreaction so i will bump it up to here for more exposure.

Please read to better understand how social distancing helps with exponential growth.

Understanding Social Distancing
    I saw this the other day when you shared it. That helped a lot; thank you!

That con construed a number of ways, for example what percentage of people who contract it are below 60. All Iím saying is I don't think it indicates a high mortality rate in that afr group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post

I think you misinterpreted my question. I am aware that it will run its course. My question was as follows: for those who think we are over-reacting, what would you propose we do? Do we let it run its course without practicing social distancing, proper testing, closures, etc.?

I did comment that it will, without intelligent management, burden the hospitals, and lead to chaos if folks are not properly taken care of. Without proper management, as countries are finally utilizing, there will be many, many more deaths, and complete havoc.

SO....I want to hear what folks think we should do, if they think this so called over reaction is the wrong way to go. Running its normal course is much different than managing its course....which is what makes the most sense given the probability of a serious disaster if we choose to be callous about it. Like it's a hoax or something "crazy" like that.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-18-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Again folks, be weary of a quickly spreading virus, that has shiftiness in terms of mutation, and high mortality rates. How does the medical science community even get a true grip on quick mutation?

Respect what you do not understand, if the experts make recommendations based on their information, experience and training.

Quote Originally Posted by mainBroncos60 View Post
    I am a senior citizen with moderately compromised health issues; but that isn't what worries me the most. I'm being a good girl and staying home. But I'm about to run out of everything, including food. I've been on the internet most of the day looking for supplies, and as far as I can tell no one in the world has any toilet paper left! And no essential food; no milk, cheese, eggs, butter, etc., is available--until next week! It appears that grocery stores were totally unprepared for this. I usually order on line and pick up at the store, but there is no pickup for 7 or more days. I even went to several other stores, but nothing is available.

In no way am I unsympathetic to those who become very sick from this or die, but I am a bit concerned about those who are going to have to do without because a few misguided people (I want to say idiots, but that isn't nice) are buying up absolutely everything.

I think I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm hoping things calm down soon and we don't end up in a terrible financial situation.
    I was wondering if things are improving. Where I live, a number of stores are now providing windows of opportunity for shoppers who are vulnerable, so that they can shop without fear of regular crowds. For example, one hour earlier than usual.

Maybe call around and see if the same smart things are happening where you live. I find that business people often come up with great solutions, and humane ones. They are not all about money.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That con construed a number of ways, for example what percentage of people who contract it are below 60. All I’m saying is I don't think it indicates a high mortality rate in that afr group.
    Yep like any stat. I believe the thrust of his point was that you shouldn't think 'it's just a cold' if you're younger than a senior.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Yep like any stat. I believe the thrust of his point was that you shouldn't think 'it's just a cold' if you're younger than a senior.
    I didnít read the article; that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mainBroncos60 View Post
    Thank you. That's very generous of you. I've read several articles on that internet that have some good alternatives to running out of TP, which I will be willing and able to do. If not, I'll just run screaming into Wal-Mart, demanding TP and other things, and making a general nuisance of myself. That should do it, don't you think?
    If you do that, please have someone stream it.

As Can said, some stores have a certain time for vulnerable people, usually the first hour of opening. Target and Safeway are 2 that I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Day 1 of my 12 week stay at home.
    Both parents are high risk & can't fend for themselves, so I'm "going to gaol" with them for the next 3 months.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/h...ation-17935005
    Your parents are fortunate that they have you.

If this thing becomes more about other age groups, I suspect many of the "this is nonsense" folks will start to take this more seriously.
    It's amazing how the mindset changes when it hits closer to home.

I really have issues with people intentionally doing things to infect others. I've seen articles saying this. I also know someone who works in a local store that has seen people sneeze in their hands and touch merchandise. That's yucky at any time, but right now? Dumb.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Sounds like ......after listening to the white house presser today, Millennials might be even more 'at risk' than senior citizens. That's quite different than what we've heard to this point.
    I don't know what you're being told in the states but rather than relying on common media outlets, educate yourself and make up your own opinion based on science?

CT scans have shown that healthy young people, with no underlying health conditions, have severe lung damage after being diagnosed with the virus. This was first reported in Asia and now Europe.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    If you do that, please have someone stream it.

As Can said, some stores have a certain time for vulnerable people, usually the first hour of opening. Target and Safeway are 2 that I remember.

Your parents are fortunate that they have you.

It's amazing how the mindset changes when it hits closer to home.

I really have issues with people intentionally doing things to infect others. I've seen articles saying this. I also know someone who works in a local store that has seen people sneeze in their hands and touch merchandise. That's yucky at any time, but right now? Dumb.
    This is so true - my wife is young, but has a slightly compromised immune system. My parents are both old and my Dad has respiratory problems. They basically have a 10% chance of dying should they catch this.

A lot of people are justifiably angry that their lives are being disrupted. Many are outraged that their livelihoods are being halted...their income greatly diminished or even eliminated, and their stocks/investments, bludgeoned in painful selloffs. This outrage was further exacerbated by a lot of exaggerated information that was initially reported by the media (whom many no longer trust). However, as the reality of the spread of this highly contagious virus became more apparent globally, the containment measures became far more understood and justified.

Rastic hit the nail on the head that this is primarily about preventing a collapse of our medical resources (and healthcare resources globally). If 15 - 20% of all infected people require medical care (which appears to be statistically accurate), no nation on earth has those resources with the uncontrolled projected spread of this virus. "Flattening the curve" will save countless lives, but at a terrible cost to our economy (and global markets as a whole).

The economy can be rebuilt (as we've done before)...the lives lost cannot be replaced, especially if this pandemic spreads uncontrollably.
    "I've set my laser from stun to kill."

I was wondering if things are improving. Where I live, a number of stores are now providing windows of opportunity for shoppers who are vulnerable, so that they can shop without fear of regular crowds. For example, one hour earlier than usual.

Maybe call around and see if the same smart things are happening where you live. I find that business people often come up with great solutions, and humane ones. They are not all about money.

Take care.
    Yes, things have improved. Wal-Mart got their pick up system back up and running. I was able to order everything I needed, including pet food and toilet paper, and will pick it up Thursday afternoon. I feel much better now. And thanks again to everyone for their support. That means as much, if not more, as having some semblance of normalcy return by being able to pick up my groceries.