Page 14 of 88 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

I saw Italy's death toll topped China's official number today too. Of course China is kind of known for slanting their media output so who really knows but from all indicators China is definitely on the rebound.

Remember though that doesn't mean they're free and clear. There could be another surge. That did happen with the Spanish flu. But every situation is different
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    That's the stance the Italians took early on. Now they admittedly regret it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...world-21695050
    Italy is a unique case different from anywhere else because they have the second oldest population in the world and a lot of their elderly live with the younger members of the family.

Just throwing it out there but did you know that the common flu kills 650,000 people a year worldwide...... I know it doesn't have a cute name and get reported on 24/7 by the media but there are the numbers. I see the current flu virus is around the 8,500 mark.

I just think too many members of society like all the drama and hysteria that the media feeds them, I just wish there were more sensible people around who could have some perspective and take a more balanced view.

China is seeing a downward trend as I knew they would, they have peaked and are now coming down the other side of the hill. We in Europe are about 2 months behind them, this flu virus will be around for 8-12 weeks and then things will start to calm down and go back to normal, then a lot of the 'its the end of the world' people will look pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Italy is a unique case different from anywhere else because they have the second oldest population in the world and a lot of their elderly live with the younger members of the family.

Just throwing it out there but did you know that the common flu kills 650,000 people a year worldwide...... I know it doesn't have a cute name and get reported on 24/7 by the media but there are the numbers. I see the current flu virus is around the 8,500 mark.

I just think too many members of society like all the drama and hysteria that the media feeds them, I just wish there were more sensible people around who could have some perspective and take a more balanced view.

China is seeing a downward trend as I knew they would, they have peaked and are now coming down the other side of the hill. We in Europe are about 2 months behind them, this flu virus will be around for 8-12 weeks and then things will start to calm down and go back to normal, then a lot of the 'its the end of the world' people will look pretty stupid.
    It wont be the end of the world because people are staying home - not because this is just another flu
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

It wont be the end of the world because people are staying home - not because this is just another flu
    ugh, ok. I just can't offer a response to this type of comment. So many people, so little perspective.

In the USA so far around 180 people have died of covid-19

In 2018 in the states 80,000 died of the seasonal flu.

Is anyone dying good ? No. Is it inevitable in life ? Yes.

Just try to have a little perspective and balance people. Don't panic. Despite what the media feed you the world is not ending. This will pass and life will carry on as normal.

Ask your self what's more important

Your net worth, job, 401k, livelihood, convenience at the grocery store etc

or

Real human lives?

The real comparison to WW is in that this crisis effects the entire world. It touches every single person one way or another. Just like WW's do. it's not the death count comparison
    I would add human life to the first list. The collapse of the economy isn't going to be o look you lost some money. Jobs have are gone people aren't able to afford their bills and the delaying them isn't going to help. If you can't afford the bill now tacking it on next month or both months on to the following month they won't be able to pay either. People will start to lose homes and it will get worse. Add in 401ks that are dropping like a rock for those getting close to retiring.

I believe the reaction to the virus is going to cause more harm than the virus itself could ever cause. Doesn't help when they throw out percentages of number dead vs confirmed cases even where I'm located the only way to be tested is to have severe symptoms or contact with someone who tested positive... really? That makes all these numbers useless because if all these people who would test positive can't be tested it makes the number skewed to a negative light which isn't helping anyone.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I am going to take a guess here....that this thread is not indicative of what folks think overall, because I seem to be reading more "overreaction" posts than I expected. I do not know how to say it properly without offending someone, but you do not want to lose the battle to this particular virus. Overreaction is smart, given we actually do not know what overreaction even means at this stage. And initially I thought of it as another type of flu, but lets not even go there. It's a different breed of cat, and it likes to spread and change.....and we have no cure for a long time.

Stay home if they tell you to. That's not overreaction until we get to some point where we can actually say we overreacted. If in a split second you had to make a potential life altering decision, say in respect to a highway situation....would you pretend all is well and take your chances with the other motorist and magically all will work out, or do something that may seem a bit aggressive, that might end up giving you a few bumps and bruises and maybe in need of some car repair? We don't have time to think about this much longer. We have to be aggressive. And we need to brace ourselves for some bumps and bruises....which is better than the potential danger we are faced with on this particular highway.

Cmon people!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.

They can't control the virus. What they're trying to do is just spread the casualties out over a longer period of time. That way the infrastructure can cope with it. You won't be stuck at home for a year even if the virus is still around. Just do what is recommended by the experts and hope you don't get sick.

The stock market tanking like it is (by the way it held it's water today) isn't just bad ...............it's also an opportunity for investors to get in on the cheap. It can be really great for your portfolio if you play your cards right. Now if you're planning on retiring this year -- that's just terrible luck.

Talk about crying end of the world though......some people think it's the end of the world because the economy is shut down temporarily. Trump wouldn't have done it unless it HAD to be done and you can't argue that. You know how he loves his market

So long as we flatten this curve, (which takes cooperation from all) we will be fine. You can't just live life right now like there's no pandemic though. And if you are I say that's irresponsible. We all have to give a little. Sounds like the Govt is looking into actually giving Americans monthly checks to make sure they stay home. That's just unheard of. Sure the markets get trillions for bailouts but the regular ole Americans? We'll see about that.
    Last edited by dizzolve; 03-19-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

They can't control the virus. What they're trying to do is just spread the casualties out over a longer period of time. That way the infrastructure can cope with it. You won't be stuck at home for a year even if the virus is still around. Just do what is recommended by the experts and hope you don't get sick.

The stock market tanking like it is (by the way it held it's water today) isn't just bad ...............it's also an opportunity for investors to get in on the cheap. It can be really great for your portfolio if you play your cards right. Now if you're planning on retiring this year -- that's just terrible luck.

Talk about crying end of the world though......some people think it's the end of the world because the economy is shut down temporarily. Trump wouldn't have done it unless it HAD to be done and you can't argue that. You know how he loves his market

So long as we flatten this curve, (which takes cooperation from all) we will be fine. You can't just live life right now like there's no pandemic though. And if you are I say that's irresponsible. We all have to give a little. Sounds like the Govt is looking into actually giving Americans monthly checks to make sure they stay home. That's just unheard of. Sure the markets get trillions for bailouts but the regular ole Americans? We'll see about that.
    Yes, we sure will see about that.

If America doesn't flatten the curve - the already cracked health system will literally crumble.

Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I would add human life to the first list. The collapse of the economy isn't going to be o look you lost some money. Jobs have are gone people aren't able to afford their bills and the delaying them isn't going to help. If you can't afford the bill now tacking it on next month or both months on to the following month they won't be able to pay either. People will start to lose homes and it will get worse. Add in 401ks that are dropping like a rock for those getting close to retiring.

I believe the reaction to the virus is going to cause more harm than the virus itself could ever cause. Doesn't help when they throw out percentages of number dead vs confirmed cases even where I'm located the only way to be tested is to have severe symptoms or contact with someone who tested positive... really? That makes all these numbers useless because if all these people who would test positive can't be tested it makes the number skewed to a negative light which isn't helping anyone.
    Good post, the bolded part is espeically true. The problem is that the media need something to go crazy about 24/7 for their coverage (over here it was brexit non-stop, now its this flu thing) and unfortuantly alot of people in society are drama queens who have over the top reactions to many things in life. If a little balance and perspective was applied we would see a more sensible approach to this virus.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered all Californians to stay at home, marking the first mandatory restrictions placed on the lives of all 40 million residents in the state’s fight against the novel coronavirus.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus

Whelp... I don't know if I can go to work now... We qualify as critical infrastructure in some areas but we'll see.

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am going to take a guess here....that this thread is not indicative of what folks think overall, because I seem to be reading more "overreaction" posts than I expected. I do not know how to say it properly without offending someone, but you do not want to lose the battle to this particular virus. Overreaction is smart, given we actually do not know what overreaction even means at this stage. And initially I thought of it as another type of flu, but lets not even go there. It's a different breed of cat, and it likes to spread and change.....and we have no cure for a long time.

Stay home if they tell you to. That's not overreaction until we get to some point where we can actually say we overreacted. If in a split second you had to make a potential life altering decision, say in respect to a highway situation....would you pretend all is well and take your chances with the other motorist and magically all will work out, or do something that may seem a bit aggressive, that might end up giving you a few bumps and bruises and maybe in need of some car repair? We don't have time to think about this much longer. We have to be aggressive. And we need to brace ourselves for some bumps and bruises....which is better than the potential danger we are faced with on this particular highway.

Cmon people!
    That is such a negative, end of the world, overreaction thing to say. By July this will be a thing of the past guaranteed, China are a few months ahead of us and they have peaked and are coming down the other side.

I speak to many parents in my job and the vast majority of people I speak to think this is crazy hysteria, the government keep moaning at people for ignoring their lockdown advice. People want to get on with thier lives and if by some chance they catch this (still a lower percentage then the flu) then stay at home and get over it like anything else.

I think you have bought into the media hysteria without having a sensible balanced approach. What happened in 2018 when 80,000 (not 180) people died of the common flu ? there was no panic, no shutdown, life carried on as normal.

The media, the global leaders, and the hysteric people around in society that are quite frankly ridiculous, will have ruined the lifes of millions of people worldwide for a flu virus that is far less deadly then the normal flu (which kills 650,000 every year)

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post

Assuming this infected everyone in the US, it could kill potentially 11 million us citizens. Will it infect that many? Will that many die? We won't know unless it hits us full force, I'd rather be safe than sorry personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Whelp... I don't know if I can go to work now... We qualify as critical infrastructure in some areas but we'll see.

Ugh
    For now I'm still able to go to work, but they are working on sending us to work from home soon.