Page 32 of 130 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

^^^^^This is what a doctor stated on CNN. I think they would not say it unless they felt pretty sure they are correct! In other words, I am not the source.

I heard one potential positive today from Cuomo. That NY had less lives lost yesterday than the previous day. This could be very significant, because the latest trending was spiking upward. Statistics will tell you that it could be an anomaly, but an amateur like me would suggest that the trend would have expected another increase, rather than a decrease.

I know, only one day, and only one area. There will be spiking in other parts of The US and Canada, and elsewhere. But if even this one day turns out not to be an anomaly, it's a blessing....though one lost life is too many.

Another "hopeful" report on trending this morning, suggesting NY is trending more favourable than a few days back. And that smart social measures are working. It's too early to tell, but with some luck and lots of good management (by us all), there will be better long term results. However, I do not want to feel too good about that, because each and every life matters.

They are expecting it to spike here this week... kinda crazy.. so many people were flaunting the rules last week...

looks a little better so far this week...

i'm going crazy bored...

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey Rem....I'll tell my kids not to come within 6 feet of you. They both live there, I have a pretty good handle on the situation. One of them does fight the good fight as a medical person, though in the mental healthcare side. I expect her caseload to increase in the next few moths. Then again, she works in the same hospital as those that have it...so like any parent, it's a worry. It's a tough thing these days, to worry about your own, but feel empathy for so many others. It's not like, "as long as we are healthy", because that's not a good attitude in my opinion. Even the strongest and the young ones are vulnerable.

FTR, I've been watching some Raptors / Blue Jays rewinds. The 2 World Series and of course, last year's basketball. If you watch closely or remember distinctly, The Raptors had a number of close calls before winning the crown. Kawhi's "The Shot" shot against Phily. The 2nd OT win against The Bucks, which (with a loss) would have put them down 3 and 0.

Not sure there are enough of these games to watch until sports returns. Not a priority. I am actually a bit shocked how quickly we sports addicts have changed gears, other than The NFL. Not an option, but not important.
    I would imagine your kids have been by one of my restos... I run a pretty dope spot on king st!

they were replaying the raps run on tv all week so that was great...

I believe history will bare out that those who took appropriate action, even "overreacted" early, will have saved the most lives, and quite likely, helped to improve their economies better in the long run. We will never be able to measure the total picture, given how widespread and how differently managed, and we will certainly never know how best to keep the economy going in tandem with trying to solve this pandemic. But I would estimate that taking this thing lightly would lead to multiple times the pain and death, which would have a more detrimental impact on most economies.

Stay positive. Time and wisdom will win this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    I would imagine your kids have been by one of my restos... I run a pretty dope spot on king st!

they were replaying the raps run on tv all week so that was great...
    Can I ask the name(s)...sorry if you have already, or you can not post here. My kids and their friends know most of the spots. They are from The 'Peg, but they love TO! And every time we visit, they always have new, trendy, cool places to eat/drink. Toronto is a great city!

It would be cool if they met you. Not to worry, they are nice people....different than their dad.

(Last night was The Jays winning their first WS over Atlanta. The memories are still with me. Embedded! Hard to believe, back to back champs...were we spoiled or what!!))

Someone I know pretty well had to tell his college age son if he goes out socializing one more time with one of his friends he wont be allowed to come home.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Some models have the infection rate at 70% which is absolutely insane. No pandemic has ever been that high. And the worst pandemic (the 1918 Flu) where between 20-50 million people died worldwide, had an infection rate of around 30%. Models cause the hysteria.

Now don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a serious virus, especially to the vulnerable population. But this isn't going to be the end of life on earth, it's going to end up somewhere between the 1968 flu (1 million died worldwide) or the Avian Flu outbreak from 1956-1958 where approximately 2 million people died worldwide.
    Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede

Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with Covid 19.

Jazzbodog posted this in another thread:

You are correct. I just finished viewing some web sites educating myself on the 1918 Flu pandemic which technically began in Europe in 1916 and ended in 1919. It is usually referred to as the 1918 Pandemic due to that being the height and the deadliest year world wide.

1st Wave: April 1918 is when this flu started to accelerate world wide and by October 1918 there were 195,000 deaths alone in the USA.

2nd Wave: September - November 1918 was highly fatal and when most deaths occurred world wide. The most probable reason is believed to be that the virus mutated within large groups of WWI soldiers moving about in numerous ships, trains and large military encampments.

3rd Wave: January to early spring 1919 and the flu virus finally ended in the summer 1919 due to people who had it either died or became immune.

It appears likely we will have a second wave of this virus right about the time the 2020 NFL season begins. BUMMER!

Fascinating information / history. Go online and check it out.
    Utah Bronco Freak

I'm going with the glass half full, in that a second wave will be less impactful, given:
    1) Many will have already had it, and hopefully they are immune
    2) A treatment will be ready (not a vaccine), one that will help those infected
    3) Testing capability will have increased significantly, and will better track and monitor those newly infected
    4) Science will be leap years ahead of where it is now, regarding the cv characteristics and other critical information
    5) A vaccine will be that much closer to reality

^^^^one more...

6) People will respect this virus a whole lot more, and do as told quicker, and with more responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede

Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with Covid 19.

Jazzbodog posted this in another thread:

You are correct. I just finished viewing some web sites educating myself on the 1918 Flu pandemic which technically began in Europe in 1916 and ended in 1919. It is usually referred to as the 1918 Pandemic due to that being the height and the deadliest year world wide.

1st Wave: April 1918 is when this flu started to accelerate world wide and by October 1918 there were 195,000 deaths alone in the USA.

2nd Wave: September - November 1918 was highly fatal and when most deaths occurred world wide. The most probable reason is believed to be that the virus mutated within large groups of WWI soldiers moving about in numerous ships, trains and large military encampments.

3rd Wave: January to early spring 1919 and the flu virus finally ended in the summer 1919 due to people who had it either died or became immune.

It appears likely we will have a second wave of this virus right about the time the 2020 NFL season begins. BUMMER!

Fascinating information / history. Go online and check it out.
    Even if this virus is as serious as the 1918 flu, which remains to be seen, the big thing you are missing is how much the equipment and scientific knowledge and advancements have moved on in the last 102 years, this is not 1918 and can't be compared with 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    ^^^^one more...

6) People will respect this virus a whole lot more, and do as told quicker, and with more responsibility.
    I actually think this could go the other way. With nice weather coming people aren't going to put up with being stuck indoors nonstop. In Calgary they've made all playgrounds off limits and closed all parks for recreational activity. If I were to go out and play catch with a friend, it's breaking the law. Even if the friend is 25 yards away.

Things like that are going to get old quickly, the more the government tries to push, the more I see people starting to revolt. In Canada I think the government has until the Victoria Day weekend, after that I think people will start openly revolting against the tight lockdown measures.

EDIT: Another point, police in Cochrane (a city just outside Calgary) pulled over a car and gave the two people inside each a $1200 ticket for being in an unlawful gathering. This happened Thursday, by Friday afternoon the police had already withdrawn the ticket.

Although they withdrew it, I think stories like this actually make the timeline of people revolting against the rules speed up.
    Last edited by Butler By'Note; 04-06-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I actually think this could go the other way. With nice weather coming people aren't going to put up with being stuck indoors nonstop. In Calgary they've made all playgrounds off limits and closed all parks for recreational activity. If I were to go out and play catch with a friend, it's breaking the law. Even if the friend is 25 yards away.

Things like that are going to get old quickly, the more the government tries to push, the more I see people starting to revolt. In Canada I think the government has until the Victoria Day weekend, after that I think people will start openly revolting against the tight lockdown measures.

EDIT: Another point, police in Cochrane (a city just outside Calgary) pulled over a car and gave the two people inside each a $1200 ticket for being in an unlawful gathering. This happened Thursday, by Friday afternoon the police had already withdrawn the ticket.

Although they withdrew it, I think stories like this actually make the timeline of people revolting against the rules speed up.
    You could very well be right, although the sense I get here so far is to obey, and keep your distance. Haven't heard of revolting yet. I guess each situation is a little different...and I may not be hearing the complete story.

The comment I stated is just speculation on my part. Again, glass half full...as in, hoping I am right.

Here in Manitoba we are doing pretty good all things considered, but I am cautious as well I should be. But even so, the premier is hinting at fines when people disobey the social distancing rules. I'm good with that, because at some point everyone has to play by the same rules, til we beat this thing. Now, it sounds like "gatherings" and such, not passing by someone by 5 feet instead of 6, if you get my drift.

But you know you Albertans are a bit more rowdy!

(Hey, isn't it weird wondering what would have become of our Flames and Jets this season?)

I think people are beginning to have a healthy respect for this thing. No one wants it. It's in your best interest to distance. And if you don't .....how can you enjoy yourself? Ignorance is bliss I guess

Now the UK PM is in IC. That kind of brings it home to me even more. I'm sure even more in UK. It a crap shoot how your body is going to deal with this thing.

You have to think the British PM has all the best health care available -- and still he ends up in IC. Some average Joe gets this thing and he's not going to get any better care than Boris gets.

Now I've been one of the people on this thread saying -- listen to the medical pros and heed their advice. But after something like this ...........the thoughts of willingly taking a vaccine is hard to swallow -no pun intended-.

And I believe in vaccines in general. Being an adult, I've always assumed vaccines are a thing of the past for me. And I never get flu shots.......and I rarely get a cold or flu. But I dunno .......I understand it's more of an emotional response but I think there will be a ton of people who wont take a vaccine under any circumstances.

How do you all feel about a covid vaccine? Would you willingly imbibe such a dose? And with the corner cutting to get to the finish line, who's to say this 'vaccine' wont harm when it's all said and done? Innocently. Strange times indeed.

I went to the grocery store today and for the first time didn't feel strange wearing a mask. But still only maybe 15% of the people I saw wore something. Luckily I'm not in some hotspot and where I live isn't city 'dense'. Imagine being in NYC right now.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top