Page 81 of 148 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2208

Thread: Corona virus

Every death from the pandemic is a tragedy. The situation in New York with their handling of nursing homes is a disgrace. New York’s Public Health Department mandated recovering Covid-19 patients to move from hospitals to nursing homes.

The media praised the the press conferences, while doctors and representatives from nursing homes pushed back on the mandate. They stuck with the mandate because they said they needed hospital beds. They had the Javits Center and USNS Comfort with many available beds. The state forced recovering patients into nursing homes when they had space in those hospitals. They wanted to kick out a non-profit temporary hospital from the city while this was going on. What a disgrace.

One nursing home has over 100 deaths. In Brooklyn they stored bodies in an unrefrigerated semi-trailer. Unacceptable.

They need to get their act together and start protecting the most vulnerable people. They need to respect them when they pass away.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 05-03-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Korean Society of Infectious Diseases, Korean Society for Antimicrobial Therapy, Korean Society of Pediatric Infectious Diseases and a tuberculosis association recommended the use of Kaletra, an anti-HIV medication, in combination with HCQ, to treat Covid-19.

This was bolstered by a French study that showed HCQ had an antiviral effect against Covid-19 in confirmed cases. Used in conjunction with the azithromycin Z-Pak, most patients cleared the virus in three to six days rather than the 20 days observed in China, drastically narrowing the period during which a patient can spread the virus to others.

To be clear, these scientists and doctors now recommend HCQ as a treatment, not a preventive measure, for Covid-19. They argue that a positive effect of using HCQ early is the reduction of virus transmission to other people given the shorter number of days the patients remain contagious, thereby flattening the curve sooner.

Written by:
    Dr. Christina Lin is a California-based foreign policy analyst specializing in China-Middle East relations. She has extensive US government experience working on national security and economic policy planning, and was a research consultant for Jane's CBRN Assessments Intelligence Centre.
    There are multiple fronts in the fight against this virus. From the anti-viral agents to the anti-inflammatory agents to help patients recover, to vaccine development. It would be great to get several more treatments approved before this fall. The vaccine isn’t guaranteed and even if one works it could be January at the earliest. I heard one company is working to get one approved sooner. We’ll see.

Worldometers update for Sweden:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

The 3-day moving averages are very helpful viewing the data IMO. When touching or clicking the bold line in the daily cases or deaths you can see the moving average.

Sweden’s trends seem to be moving in the right direction. The curve flattened and appears they’re trending down based on the 3-day moving average.

The media predicted total gloom and doom for Sweden, and states such as Florida for moderate approaches with social distancing vs lock downs. One thing reinforced by much of the media with Covid-19, take whatever they say and the opposite happens. Maybe not in every case but they usually predict the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Worldometers update for Sweden:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

The 3-day moving averages are very helpful viewing the data IMO. When touching or clicking the bold line in the daily cases or deaths you can see the moving average.

Sweden’s trends seem to be moving in the right direction. The curve flattened and appears they’re trending down based on the 3-day moving average.

The media predicted total gloom and doom for Sweden, and states such as Florida for moderate approaches with social distancing vs lock downs. One thing reinforced by much of the media with Covid-19, take whatever they say and the opposite happens. Maybe not in every case but they usually predict the worst case scenario.
    That’s great news, I am rooting for them. They took a risk but also had the courage to do what they thought long term would be best and not what was popular short term. I’d say they probably won’t really know until the end of May.
    If they do end up with herd immunity they will have not only helped themselves but many more who follow their lead.

That’s great news, I am rooting for them. They took a risk but also had the courage to do what they thought long term would be best and not what was popular short term. I’d say they probably won’t really know until the end of May.
    If they do end up with herd immunity they will have not only helped themselves but many more who follow their lead.
    Agreed. Another test of their strategy could be this fall/winter. If we don’t have a vaccine their approach to developing immunity could prove beneficial, or work against them.

Just when we flattened the curve with Covid-19...giant Asian 'MURDER' hornets invade the US and are spreading rapidly

https://apple.news/A-jzqO8riNGOEdv4Otfrlgw

Another lock down coming?

2 Men Found Dead on Subway Trains Ahead of MTA’s Plan to Shut Down Overnight Service

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rvice/2400669/

New York City subways will shut down from overnights starting May 6th so the MTA can disinfect subway cars for Covid-19.

They’re just getting around to disinfecting the subways. Wow.....

I've learned a lot in the last few months....mostly not good. But luckily for my area, a number of things opened up today, thanks to the low numbers. We will now learn how folks react to such opportunity. In other words, even if the guidelines/rules are in place, does that mean everyone will jump on board quickly. I doubt it. There is still caution, and I live in a cautiously run place.

Masks are in the mail. May well use them. Costco, for example, is implementing mask requirements in many places.

(Again) on the brighter side, one tiny tidbit....we have learned that we can eat cheap, though not always as healthy. Tonight we polished off kraft dinner and sausage, for a grand total of about $2.50.

FTR....no, not getting another tattoo soon! Love the one I got!

Worldometer update for the United States:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

3 day moving average cases is moving in the right direction, although we might see some upticks with more testing. The 3 day moving average for deaths is really dropping down which is so good to see.

188,027 people recovered which is great to see. I think this is a data point not often talked about and it means a lot of people beat this awful virus.

Just when we flattened the curve with Covid-19...giant Asian 'MURDER' hornets invade the US and are spreading rapidly

https://apple.news/A-jzqO8riNGOEdv4Otfrlgw

Another lock down coming?
    Lol!!!!! ..........Until I see one, they sound terrifying!!!

Lol!!!!! ..........Until I see one, they sound terrifying!!!
    Supposedly the stinger can penetrate a beekeeper suit!!! Yikes.

Get your N95 mask, double beekeeper suit and head out for summer vacation...

Supposedly the stinger can penetrate a beekeeper suit!!! Yikes.

Get your N95 mask, double beekeeper suit and head out for summer vacation...
    ......and load up on toilet paper!!!!

I’m concerned N-95’s might give people a false sense of security. The only real protection they provide against the spread of viruses is to prevent the person who wears one from getting saliva on others.
    N-95’s are disposable particulate respirators, which are not as effective as “full face”, or even “half face” because they don’t seal perfectly to your skin. If truth be told if someone sneezes on you or coughs on you it’s not going to be any more helpful than a piece of cloth. Particulate filters don’t filter viruses or gases. That would require a mask that seals with filters rated for vapors.
    This is coming from someone who spent 14 years in construction restoration. I had to know what filters did and didn’t do. I didn’t just read an article on Facebook. I’m honestly not sure why hospitals are using them instead of surgical masks. Are they expecting mold particulates to be flying around in their medical facilities? I would think any surgical mask would do the job.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’m concerned N-95’s might give people a false sense of security. The only real protection they provide for the spread of viruses is to prevent the person who wears one from getting saliva on others.
    N-95’s are disposable particulate respirators, which are not as effective as “full face”, or even “half face” because they don’t seal perfectly to your skin. If truth be told if someone sneezes on you or coughs on you it’s not going to be any more helpful than a piece of cloth. Particulate filters don’t filter viruses or gases. That would require a mask that seals with filters rated for vapors.
    This is coming from someone who spent 14 years in construction restoration. I had to know what filters did and didn’t do. I didn’t just read an article on Facebook. I’m honestly not sure why hospitals are using them instead of surgical masks. Are they expecting mold particulates to be flying around in their medical facilities? I would think any surgical mask would do the job.
    I was pleasantly surprised and grateful when one of my suppliers sent a case of N95 masks from China. She knew what they were going through and what we should expect. I didn't ask for them so I thought that was a nice gesture. I was however a little surprised at what that was when they arrived. These things are thin and rectangular and I can't imagine they fit many people "properly". I hope this isn't the type we hear so many states buying up.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’m concerned N-95’s might give people a false sense of security. The only real protection they provide for the spread of viruses is to prevent the person who wears one from getting saliva on others.
    I was listing to something on the radio about this... the masks actually being a false security net. The theory being everything you just said, and that people touch their face way more when they are not used to masks.

Also they went on to talk give, also being a double edged sword. In many cases people have a false sense of safety when using them, touching everything..forgetting the gloves get dirty too.

The other side is that people get sensitive and are cautions because the gloves remind them something isn’t normal.

I laugh at the people wearing their masks while in the car, but not as designed. Now they have to touch them agin and again adjusting them in and out of the cars, making them more of a liability.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich