Page 82 of 150 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2239

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised and grateful when one of my suppliers sent a case of N95 masks from China. She knew what they were going through and what we should expect. I didn't ask for them so I thought that was a nice gesture. I was however a little surprised at what that was when they arrived. These things are thin and rectangular and I can't imagine they fit many people "properly". I hope this isn't the type we hear so many states buying up.
    On a funny side note. One of my coworkers ( emergency services) noted a car full of them. The driver said they were for that purpose and have him a box. Very kind,

Then reading the box...we see all the spelling mistakes, and the made in China logo.... clearly knockoffs...we didn’t open the bag they were in, in the box. It is so poorly written we kept it to have a laugh at.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    On a funny side note. One of my coworkers ( emergency services) noted a car full of them. The driver said they were for that purpose and have him a box. Very kind,

Then reading the box...we see all the spelling mistakes, and the made in China logo.... clearly knockoffs...we didn’t open the bag they were in, in the box. It is so poorly written we kept it to have a laugh at.
    So mine came with 2 papers.
    1- FDA compliance and registration with US Food and Drug.
    2- Chinese compliance certificate marked as "Not sterile"

I didn't know whether to wear them or burn them lol

If I am asked to wear a mask I will. Costco is starting that practice.

I joke, but where were the masks when I had a cold sore when I was young and self conscious?

My province has loosened up things as quickly as most, thanks of course to the reasonably good "stats" / "trending". I have liked most of what has gone on here. Now they are sending out a $200 cheque to seniors, for inconveniences and such. Good on them. We'll probably give some of it back in tips and whatever meets our eyes.

Haha. Hmmmmmm ya. I’d say that’s a little shady...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Our summer student condo maintenance fellow is back working here today. Love it. Good guy!

He was very fortunate. Finished university courses. Back to his full summer job.

The best part.....he knows more about The NFL than I do (no stretch there) and I am already talking draft with him. But I will have to manage my interactions, cause I like the Resident Manager too, and I don't want to mess with things.

Lucky him, and lucky me!!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post

Seriously?! LOL

I don't mind people finding a market to make a living, even during this time, but knock-offs Not cool.

@atw, at least they were kind enough let you know the FDA is wrong and they are not sterile

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Isn't this about him breaking the rules vs the importance of social distancing? Are we to discredit just because he screwed up, by meeting a woman? And is he the only one we have heard from about the value of social distancing? My gut tells me, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    The Cato Institute reviewed Ferguson’s model. I thought the analysis was very interesting. One of the astonishing aspects of the model:

“The key premise of 81% of the population being infected should have raised more alarms than it did. Even the deadly “Spanish Flu” (H1N1) pandemic of 1918–19 infected no more than 28% of the U.S. population. The next H1N1 “Swine Flu” pandemic in 2009-10, infected 20-24% of Americans.“

Why didn’t anyone stop to question the assumption of 81%? That’s awfully high and took the premise of doing absolutely nothing. I can understand why Sweden took a different approach.

I think Ferguson was the guy who made the dire predictions about Mad Cow disease. Maybe that should have been our first clue?

https://www.cato.org/blog/how-one-mo...eaths-covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Isn't this about him breaking the rules vs the importance of social distancing? Are we to discredit just because he screwed up, by meeting a woman? And is he the only one we have heard from about the value of social distancing? My gut tells me, I doubt it.
    I could care less about him breaking the rule with his girlfriend. Sure, maybe that was the wrong thing.

Ferguson led the research team at the Imperial College London - the dire predictions of 500,000 deaths in the UK and 2.2 million in the US. When looking at his assumptions, it’s no wonder his model was wildly inaccurate (see link in above post for analysis). His model was the driver of the lock downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I could care less about him breaking the rule with his girlfriend. Sure, maybe that was the wrong thing.

Ferguson led the research team at the Imperial College London - the dire predictions of 500,000 deaths in the UK and 2.2 million in the US. When looking at his assumptions, it’s no wonder his model was wildly inaccurate (see link in above post for analysis). His model was the driver of the lock downs.
    I will research whether or not he was the only person on earth we all listened to. Distancing makes sense to me. Seems like a lot of doctors and nurses have died as a result of proximity and duration with infected patients. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I will research whether or not he was the only person on earth we all listened to. Distancing makes sense to me. Seems like a lot of doctors and nurses have died as a result of proximity and duration with infected patients. I could be wrong.
    I’m not arguing against social distancing with regard to Ferguson’s model. The model assumed 81% of the population would become infected with doing absolutely nothing.

Social distancing to reduce the spread of a virus isn’t a new idea. During the Spanish Flu ~28% of the population became infected and social distancing/mitigation measures were implemented.

It begs the question, why would Ferguson use 81% knowing the rate of infection was 28% during the Spanish Flu? Why wouldn’t anyone question the assumptions?

Ferguson might not have been the only one but the model drove the hype with the massive number of deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I’m not arguing against social distancing with regard to Ferguson’s model. The model assumed 81% of the population would become infected with doing absolutely nothing.

Social distancing to reduce the spread of a virus isn’t a new idea. During the Spanish Flu ~28% of the population became infected and social distancing/mitigation measures were implemented.

It begs the question, why would Ferguson use 81% knowing the rate of infection was 28% during the Spanish Flu? Why wouldn’t anyone question the assumptions?

Ferguson might not have been the only one but the model drove the hype with the massive number of deaths.
    thanks for that

New York state reports another 1,700 coronavirus deaths in nursing homes
    By Associated Press
    May 5, 2020 6:33 pm ET

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...mes-2020-05-05

More tragic news about the most vulnerable people.

An executive at an unnamed Queens, New York nursing home told the New York Post on Thursday how officials sent them body bags when they were forced to admit coronavirus patients last month. Thirty residents at the previously virus-free facility went on to die from the disease.

Why were nursing homes forced to accept coronavirus patients on March 25?