Page 116 of 147 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2197

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    My dad and stepmom both seem to be fully recovered now.

Not sure if the emoji is appropriate but sounds like reason to celebrate to me

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think 3-5 days is reasonable, pending how busy things get. My test results came back within 36 hours, but it was a very slow time here, so resourcing was not an issue. It's difficult though if the results aren't known for 5 or more days because you may be isolated....and if tested positive, you will need to add another couple of weeks minimum to your active return.
    Pretty proud of our local county free testing...it is now less than 24 hour turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    My dad and stepmom both seem to be fully recovered now.
    Best news of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Pretty proud of our local county free testing...it is now less than 24 hour turn around.
    That's really good!!

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    My wife comes home yesterday and one of her workmates was sent home to quarantine. My wife called to check on her. She said she had been feeling sick and got tested. They told her the tests results won’t be back for 10 days.
    That surprised me! I didn’t realize people were having to wait ten to fourteen days. Hopefully she will be feeling better by the time she gets the results back but that means many people who test positive already have quarantined and feel better.

Another workmate of my wife went in for surgery. She had to be tested before the surgery and she got results back in a couple hours.

That is a big contrast from 2 hours to 10 days.
    Surgery makes sense if it's for an emergency. If they have to wait 1-2 weeks, the patient can catch the virus during that waiting period and put the surgeons at risk.

But 10 days is ridiculous, especially for someone who feels under the weather. Flu season is coming up and I can see the demand for tests rise tenfold. Maybe the U.S. doesn't have the resources yet, but they should build scores of testing sites in each state and prepare for the flu season. <---- I won't yet get into how we can dramatically decrease unemployment. That's for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Surgery makes sense if it's for an emergency. If they have to wait 1-2 weeks, the patient can catch the virus during that waiting period and put the surgeons at risk.

But 10 days is ridiculous, especially for someone who feels under the weather. Flu season is coming up and I can see the demand for tests rise tenfold. Maybe the U.S. doesn't have the resources yet, but they should build scores of testing sites in each state and prepare for the flu season. <---- I won't yet get into how we can dramatically decrease unemployment. That's for another time.
    I concur....if I was in need of surgery, I think I deserve a quick test result. No question at all if an emergency.

I also agree, flu season may make this complicated, in that folks will be rushing to get tested, not knowing what they have. It may slow down things, and people who are assessed as having the virus will be the losers, as well as others they contact. (as well as the healthcare system)

We had a small but known spike in our province, after having almost no cases for weeks. When you have zero cases and then you rise to 5 or even 10, it's news, even though it has been traced very quickly. But the end result is we had record numbers of tests conducted, because people start to wonder, and worry. I believe that all these extra tests will show that we are still a very low virus impacted area, but it is the consequence of public anxiety. Cal it an overreaction. BUT imagine (as you mention) if the covid situation is still a problem in a few months, and a bad flu season hits. It will significantly tax our healthcare systems.

I concur....if I was in need of surgery, I think I deserve a quick test result. No question at all if an emergency.

I also agree, flu season may make this complicated, in that folks will be rushing to get tested, not knowing what they have. It may slow down things, and people who are assessed as having the virus will be the losers, as well as others they contact. (as well as the healthcare system)

We had a small but known spike in our province, after having almost no cases for weeks. When you have zero cases and then you rise to 5 or even 10, it's news, even though it has been traced very quickly. But the end result is we had record numbers of tests conducted, because people start to wonder, and worry. I believe that all these extra tests will show that we are still a very low virus impacted area, but it is the consequence of public anxiety. Cal it an overreaction. BUT imagine (as you mention) if the covid situation is still a problem in a few months, and a bad flu season hits. It will significantly tax our healthcare systems.
    Its hard to imagine that anyone with any sense or perspective would have anxiety, and if they did I would worry more about their mental state in all seriousness. After a quick google I see the Winnipeg population is around 762,000, even if you spike to the dizzy heights of 50 I would hope that common sense prevails.

Over here the stats we get are that 1 person in every 4000 tests positive, and 99.something percent make a full recovery. We will sadly still get a minority of people who are driven by fear even with those numbers, its sad to see but I guess some people are just like that.

I genuinely think that if the media used balance and perspective it would filter down to the people, and with a common sense approach rather then a complete loss of perspective hysteria the virus would have even smaller numbers then it currently has.

I know asking for everyone to use sense and perspective is kinda like asking for twitter comments to provide useful insight, but I'm a dreamer lol

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Oh boo hoo. "Life his worse, life is hard". Woe is me. "People can't shop for hours after hours to spend their money because they need to wear a mask and be socially distant..." Whine, whine. Cry cry. "Cue sad Violin music."

Get out of here with that...
    I've been on holiday for a week and just seen your reply. A pretty babyish response TBH. I live in reality and the reality over here is that 1 in 4000 tests positive with a 99.something recovery rate. The mask enforcement over here has already led to problems getting people to the shops so in 2 months more businesses will close and more people will be out of work on the unemployment line.

Anyone with sense can see the problems having a pointless mask rule will bring and the amount of lives and businesses that will be affected, but hey keep promoting your mask with a big thumbs up, it is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I've been on holiday for a week and just seen your reply. A pretty babyish response TBH. I live in reality and the reality over here is that 1 in 4000 tests positive with a 99.something recovery rate. The mask enforcement over here has already led to problems getting people to the shops so in 2 months more businesses will close and more people will be out of work on the unemployment line.

Anyone with sense can see the problems having a pointless mask rule will bring and the amount of lives and businesses that will be affected, but hey keep promoting your mask with a big thumbs up, it is ridiculous.
    You do realize that he's a nurse? I would rely on his expertise than some others.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    You do realize that he's a nurse? I would rely on his expertise than some others.
    Which is great but I imagine someone who deals with this day in and day out finds it hard to get a balanced perspective. It is similar to people who have worked with mental health patients and have said that they find themselves analysing everyone in their personal life regarding their state of mind.

I don't think saying that people need to use a sensible approach with perspective rather then mass hysteria should be controversial. I guarantee that being driven by fear and hysteria does a nation no good, it just divides it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    My wife had major surgery 3 weeks ago and the hospital required her to be tested before the procedure. She had the test locally at her MD and we got a call 3 days before surgery from the hospital. They said that her test was negative, but it was performed 7 and a half days before her surgery and the test had to be within 7 days (which no one told us in her pre-op appt). They were very firm on this and required her to be retested. We live within 15 miles of Olympia - the capital of WA, so figured it would be no big deal to find a hospital or urgent care drive through that could perform a "rapid result test". Guess what? No one in Olympia was doing rapid result testing. This is the capital of WA state and zero health care providers would do a rapid result test. That seemed crazy to us, but whatever. Her hospital was near Seattle so we drove up to her surgeon's office where they performed the test and they gave us the results later that day. Another rule the hospital had was only 1 person was allowed to be with her for the surgery prep and to visit her later that day and it had to be the same person. Same with every day in the hospital (and she was there 4 days), she was only allowed 1 visitor per day and it had to be the same person. Every morning I masked up and went through security and they asked me the screening questions, took my temp and sent me on my way. That was fine with me and I was glad they were screening to keep the hospital a safe environment.

In the end it was no big deal (we've been wearing masks since before it was formally mandated - we knew she had upcoming surgery which could happen at any time so couldn't take any chances), but I tell the story to illustrate how seriously her hospital was taking testing and strictly limiting the amount of visitors.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

Its hard to imagine that anyone with any sense or perspective would have anxiety, and if they did I would worry more about their mental state in all seriousness. After a quick google I see the Winnipeg population is around 762,000, even if you spike to the dizzy heights of 50 I would hope that common sense prevails.

Over here the stats we get are that 1 person in every 4000 tests positive, and 99.something percent make a full recovery. We will sadly still get a minority of people who are driven by fear even with those numbers, its sad to see but I guess some people are just like that.

I genuinely think that if the media used balance and perspective it would filter down to the people, and with a common sense approach rather then a complete loss of perspective hysteria the virus would have even smaller numbers then it currently has.

I know asking for everyone to use sense and perspective is kinda like asking for twitter comments to provide useful insight, but I'm a dreamer lol
    Bit of a low blow there. You are questioning the mental state of many good folks. I would not doubt them, rather give them a pat on the back for being cautious and responsible. And for being good citizens who collectively are trying to keep our numbers as close to zero as possible.

I see it this way.....if someone had a bit of a sore throat and there were no cases, they might chalk it up to nothing more than a sore throat. But if there is a spike, minor as it is, the same sore throat may be worth a test. As I said, call it a bit of an overreaction, but I don't blame anyone for looking out for their health. I have now had 2 tests, mostly out of concern for others.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Wait, so now masks... MASKS and enforcement of masks are now the problem which is causing all of these issues with lack of shoppers, local business and economic support? Masks? That is one of the funniest things I've read this week.

Forget the actual virus. "Masks - nobody understands the amount of lives and businesses that they will affect."

Yeah, anyone who says "I live reality" probably doesn't live in reality.

Bit of a low blow there. You are questioning the mental state of many good folks. I would not doubt them, rather give them a pat on the back for being cautious and responsible. And for being good citizens who collectively are trying to keep our numbers as close to zero as possible.

I see it this way.....if someone had a bit of a sore throat and there were no cases, they might chalk it up to nothing more than a sore throat. But if there is a spike, minor as it is, the same sore throat may be worth a test. As I said, call it a bit of an overreaction, but I don't blame anyone for looking out for their health. I have now had 2 tests, mostly out of concern for others.
    It wasn't intended as a low blow. You used the words 'public anxiety' if the cases even rise to 5 or 10, out of more then 760 thousand. If that causes people to get stressed and anxious then I would really worry about their ability to handle any situation life throws at them.

If someone really believes they may be positive then by all means consult their local doctor but I just hope people remain calm and keep perspective. It reminds me of when someone has a headache and temperature and they consult google and ask advice on the internet, then they are convinced they have a terminal illness and only 6 months to live.

Caution is fine, keeping a calm head and a sense of reality is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Wait, so now masks... MASKS and enforcement of masks are now the problem which is causing all of these issues with lack of shoppers, local business and economic support? Masks? That is one of the funniest things I've read this week.

Forget the actual virus. "Masks - nobody understands the amount of lives and businesses that they will affect."

Yeah, anyone who says "I live reality" probably doesn't live in reality.

I don't know how it works over there, but over here it is a reality. Your laughter at the thought of masks affecting high street business shows how little you understand. Over here it is a reality that the government have to weigh up, I see it on the news every day.

It is a fact that high street shopping and businesses here are being affected and redundancy over the next few months will go up. If you believe that is a price worth paying based on the numbers I gave you then thats up to you. Myself and many people over here think its ludicrous.