Page 117 of 148 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2208

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #1741
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    My wife had major surgery 3 weeks ago and the hospital required her to be tested before the procedure. She had the test locally at her MD and we got a call 3 days before surgery from the hospital. They said that her test was negative, but it was performed 7 and a half days before her surgery and the test had to be within 7 days (which no one told us in her pre-op appt). They were very firm on this and required her to be retested. We live within 15 miles of Olympia - the capital of WA, so figured it would be no big deal to find a hospital or urgent care drive through that could perform a "rapid result test". Guess what? No one in Olympia was doing rapid result testing. This is the capital of WA state and zero health care providers would do a rapid result test. That seemed crazy to us, but whatever. Her hospital was near Seattle so we drove up to her surgeon's office where they performed the test and they gave us the results later that day. Another rule the hospital had was only 1 person was allowed to be with her for the surgery prep and to visit her later that day and it had to be the same person. Same with every day in the hospital (and she was there 4 days), she was only allowed 1 visitor per day and it had to be the same person. Every morning I masked up and went through security and they asked me the screening questions, took my temp and sent me on my way. That was fine with me and I was glad they were screening to keep the hospital a safe environment.

    In the end it was no big deal (we've been wearing masks since before it was formally mandated - we knew she had upcoming surgery which could happen at any time so couldn't take any chances), but I tell the story to illustrate how seriously her hospital was taking testing and strictly limiting the amount of visitors.
    Thx for this, and hope she is doing well.

  2. #1742
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    It wasn't intended as a low blow. You used the words 'public anxiety' if the cases even rise to 5 or 10, out of more then 760 thousand. If that causes people to get stressed and anxious then I would really worry about their ability to handle any situation life throws at them.

    If someone really believes they may be positive then by all means consult their local doctor but I just hope people remain calm and keep perspective. It reminds me of when someone has a headache and temperature and they consult google and ask advice on the internet, then they are convinced they have a terminal illness and only 6 months to live.

    Caution is fine, keeping a calm head and a sense of reality is needed.
    But I think you are taking a cautious, slight overreaction for a free test as more a cause of concern than necessary. I got my second test because I had some appointments coming up and because of my symptoms. I was sure I was fine but did not want to infect others, especially a dentist's office. Sure, a bit of an overreaction by some of us, but not much of a downside, if testing can handle the load. Got my results within 2 days this time. Still pretty quick. Yes, longer test wait times, but then again, last time I had a test, I had zero wait time.

  3. #1743
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But I think you are taking a cautious, slight overreaction for a free test as more a cause of concern than necessary. I got my second test because I had some appointments coming up and because of my symptoms. I was sure I was fine but did not want to infect others, especially a dentist's office. Sure, a bit of an overreaction by some of us, but not much of a downside, if testing can handle the load. Got my results within 2 days this time. Still pretty quick. Yes, longer test wait times, but then again, last time I had a test, I had zero wait time.
    Yea thats fair enough and its not doing anyone any harm. My problem is more when hysteria actually affects many peoples lives in a serious and negative way.

  4. #1744
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Thx for this, and hope she is doing well.
    Thanks for asking! Yes, she's doing well and very happy to be home
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

  5. #1745
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Thanks for asking! Yes, she's doing well and very happy to be home

  6. #1746
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,102
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But I think you are taking a cautious, slight overreaction for a free test as more a cause of concern than necessary. I got my second test because I had some appointments coming up and because of my symptoms. I was sure I was fine but did not want to infect others, especially a dentist's office. Sure, a bit of an overreaction by some of us, but not much of a downside, if testing can handle the load. Got my results within 2 days this time. Still pretty quick. Yes, longer test wait times, but then again, last time I had a test, I had zero wait time.
    We all need to do what makes us feel like we are doing the best thing to get us to the other side on this bro.

    There is no playbook for all this. We are bush-waking a new path here. We probably will not know for 1-3 years what is the best possible thing we could be doing through all this. That playbook will probably change with time as we learn more things.

    We just need to do the best we can and try to be understanding of what other people are doing that we may or may not agree with.

  7. #1747
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We all need to do what makes us feel like we are doing the best thing to get us to the other side on this bro.

    There is no playbook for all this. We are bush-waking a new path here. We probably will not know for 1-3 years what is the best possible thing we could be doing through all this. That playbook will probably change with time as we learn more things.

    We just need to do the best we can and try to be understanding of what other people are doing that we may or may not agree with.
    Well said H!

  8. #1748
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,202
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I don't know how it works over there, but over here it is a reality. Your laughter at the thought of masks affecting high street business shows how little you understand. Over here it is a reality that the government have to weigh up, I see it on the news every day.

    It is a fact that high street shopping and businesses here are being affected and redundancy over the next few months will go up. If you believe that is a price worth paying based on the numbers I gave you then thats up to you. Myself and many people over here think its ludicrous.
    Sorry dude. I haven't agreed with your or even comprehended your points ever since you wrote about how it isn't your job to protect or care about those at risk during this pandemic. And I sure as hell will not agree with your point about how now masks......masks are the reason for the lack of high street businesses and faltering economy in the UK.

    Guess what - the world is going through a pandemic. Economies everywhere have taken a huge hit. I would venture to say that the masks are a very minuscule reason for the lack of a booming economy. High street businesses are going to take a hit. They've taken a hit here in the US as well, long before the mask debate came to the surface.

    But it's not all gloom and doom in your neck of the woods. A quick online search yields that consumer spending has recovered near pre-pandemic levels in the UK.





    Does that give the entire outlook of the future? Of course not. I'm sure recessions are in order for your country and mine.

    But masks, MASKS... are a wimpy 'reason' from you to try and justify the lack of economic growth and outlook just because you don't like them or really have ever agreed with them. Remember, they have "made your life worse." You want to talk about how hysteria is catalyzing a lot of these issues, look at yourself in the mirror as you're trying to rationalize masks causing a faltering economy.
    Last edited by Peerless; 07-27-2020 at 06:00 AM.

  9. #1749
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,515
    Looks like the Marlins have had an outbreak
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  10. #1750
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Looks like the Marlins have had an outbreak
    That only took the 1st weekend.

  11. #1751
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Looks like the Marlins have had an outbreak
    As we have started to discuss in the Broncos forum, this is not a good sign, given 14 or more Marlins (incl. staff) are infected, and the Phily/Yankees game is cancelled, due to the Marlins having just played Philadelphia.

    As I stated in the football thread, The NFL will have to be extremely diligent, because they too are a travelling league during the pandemic, whereas The NHL and NBA are playing in hub cities. We will learn a lot in comparison, how hub city perform given their conclusion of seasons begins within a week. But at this point, I am very concerned about sports in 2020, especially those who are using travel to and from, as a basis for their games. Additional risk, in an already risky situation.

  12. #1752
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    ...........

    But masks, MASKS... are a wimpy 'reason' from you to try and justify the lack of economic growth and outlook just because you don't like them or really have ever agreed with them. Remember, they have "made your life worse." You want to talk about how hysteria is catalyzing a lot of these issues, look at yourself in the mirror as you're trying to rationalize masks causing a faltering economy.
    I have no idea how masks are causing economic issues with folks. I see them every day here in a quiet case area, and I am cool with wearing one when in public places. It becomes second nature if you keep doing it. IF ANYTHING, I believe sales would be negatively affected if people were not wearing masks, thereby keeping a good portion of the population from venturing to those places, who prefer caution over appearance.

  13. #1753
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Sorry dude. I haven't agreed with your or even comprehended your points ever since you wrote about how it isn't your job to protect or care about those at risk during this pandemic. And I sure as hell will not agree with your point about how now masks......masks are the reason for the lack of high street businesses and faltering economy in the UK.

    Guess what - the world is going through a pandemic. Economies everywhere have taken a huge hit. I would venture to say that the masks are a very minuscule reason for the lack of a booming economy. High street businesses are going to take a hit. They've taken a hit here in the US as well, long before the mask debate came to the surface.

    But it's not all gloom and doom in your neck of the woods. A quick online search yields that consumer spending has recovered near pre-pandemic levels in the UK.





    Does that give the entire outlook of the future? Of course not. I'm sure recessions are in order for your country and mine.

    But masks, MASKS... are a wimpy 'reason' from you to try and justify the lack of economic growth and outlook just because you don't like them or really have ever agreed with them. Remember, they have "made your life worse." You want to talk about how hysteria is catalyzing a lot of these issues, look at yourself in the mirror as you're trying to rationalize masks causing a faltering economy.
    That just backs up what I have already stated in this thread, that since the shops re-opened here the economy has received a huge boost. This has been obvious for months even though the negative nancys kept saying that people would not go into the shops when they re-opened and sales will be down for the rest of the year.

    It was obvious to the people who live in the real world that people want to get on with life as normal, as soon as our shops, bars, restaurants, etc..... opened back up they have been filled by thousands of people, and I have been one of them. This was seen as a massive positive to our economy and thousands of people looking to avoid redundancy. Hence our problems with the stupid masks, it will put all those jobs at risk when our covid numbers have declined without the stupid mask rule to the point only ONE in 4000 people test positive, so deciding to now stick the mask rule on is putting all of this positivity in jeopardy.

    I have been to many places in England the last few months. Very very few wear masks, maybe one in every 25/30 people. They are hated over here by the vast majority of people. I speak to many people every day in life and through work and I kept getting told the same thing, that they will shop online until the mask rule is scrapped because there is no enjoyment in spending 3 hours around the shops with one of those horrible things over your mouth and nose.

    So while your stats are great and people have flooded back to the shops, as I predicted, the mask rule only came in 3 days ago and there is no doubt that thousands of people will be added to the unemployment line because of it.

    Considering that we have such low positive cases and the fact that people rip their mask of when they come out of a shop and interact with people all day it is an utterly pointless rule and one just brought in for show, but one that will halt the economic recovery and cost many people their jobs.

  14. #1754
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I have no idea how masks are causing economic issues with folks. I see them every day here in a quiet case area, and I am cool with wearing one when in public places. It becomes second nature if you keep doing it. IF ANYTHING, I believe sales would be negatively affected if people were not wearing masks, thereby keeping a good portion of the population from venturing to those places, who prefer caution over appearance.
    The fact is that people in some countries, including yours, will happily wear a mask to the point that most people will wear them at all times. If you spent one day over here with me you will see how rare they are to see and how much people hate wearing them. They are uncomfortable to many people and not natural to cover half your face. We also do not like to be told what to wear when the numbers are so low.

    To give you some idea I just googled bars and shops re-opening and this was the first picture I found -


  15. #1755
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,581
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    The fact is that people in some countries, including yours, will happily wear a mask to the point that most people will wear them at all times. If you spent one day over here with me you will see how rare they are to see and how much people hate wearing them. They are uncomfortable to many people and not natural to cover half your face. We also do not like to be told what to wear when the numbers are so low.

    To give you some idea I just googled bars and shops re-opening and this was the first picture I found -

    Well....lets just say time will tell. Because a picture like that is merely that, a snapshot of a moment in time, with nothing to derive from it in terms of the future. I do hope they are safe. I am not out to "stick it to" anyone. But it looks a bit concerning, especially if that's the norm.

    You seem to be saying that The UK has done well, or are you talking only about a portion of it? Because by my calculations The UK has had some tough times with the virus. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •