• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peanut
    ModNut
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well, my dad and step-mother have it. I was really hoping that wouldn’t happen, but I think they got to a point where they decided they were going to “live life.”
    My dad is 72, has type 2 diabetes and lymphoma.
    Anyway, my step-mom has had a fever and a cough for a week now and my dad has had mild symptoms. He got tested for covid because he has a cataract procedure scheduled next week. I believe their plan is to just quarantine and take vitamins.
    Prayers for your family for a quick recovery.
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
      team preacher
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      Prayers for your family for a quick recovery.
      Thank you, obviously I’m concerned.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• johnlimburg
        Ring of Famer
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        From my perspective this "pandemic" has a lot of people listening and doing things they would not have done in Feb.

You seem to reference people pushing back against masks and social distancing as your conclusion to "fairyland". I can speak for the 3 major areas I travel to (LA, Orange County and San Diego) and state well over half the people outside of their home have masks on. I think I am actually understating the number of people by saying well over half but I have not collected the data so just saying something I am comfortable is true.

Yes people are pushing back but from what I been seeing as a "essential worker" who has been in the public the whole time...people pushing back are the outliers...not the norm. There seems to be a lot of people who take the Covid19 threat seriously enough to make some changes.

If you want to see things differently that is totally up to you to have that opinion.
        I guess it is all about perspective. From everything I see from outside of the country, it looks like the story is more push back than compliance, but obviously I could be wrong. I do find your perspective odd however as if this was the overwhelming case, why is America so bad at containing the spread? If you look at much more compliant countries, again perspective according to reporting, why are these countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, doing so much better? The health advice is the same, the actions just seem to be adopted on a much larger scale in these other places, so why is America doing so poorly? Health of citizens? Because Australia is not far behind America in being obese and unhealthy.
        Last edited by johnlimburg; 07-14-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Freyaka
          Football Immortal
          • Jan 2007

Well, my dad and step-mother have it. I was really hoping that wouldn’t happen, but I think they got to a point where they decided they were going to “live life.”
          Anyway, my step-mom has had a fever and a cough for a week now and my dad has had mild symptoms. He got tested for covid because he has a cataract procedure scheduled next week. I believe their plan is to just quarantine and take vitamins.
          Wishing them the best AW4M, hope for a speedy and full recovery!
          sigpic

Comment

• Peerless
            Football Immortal
            • May 2004

Sorry to hear. Hope they can get through it okay.

It's real unfortunate to hear about it in the first place. But when it hits home and your own family, it definitely puts a different perspective on how horrible this virus is.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
              team preacher
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
              Sorry to hear. Hope they can get through it okay.

It's real unfortunate to hear about it in the first place. But when it hits home and your own family, it definitely puts a different perspective on how horrible this virus is.
              Thank you Brent.

Indeed, although this isn’t exactly a moment of clarity for me. I haven’t doubted the severity or seriousness of it. I’m not one who claims it’s just the flu. I stopped biting my fingers. I wash my hands almost compulsively. I social distance at work and rarely go into the marketplace. I advocate for masks in crowded places like grocery stores where social distancing isn't possible.
              I’ve said for quite sometime I’m very concerned about my parents and my father in law getting it.

And to be clear I don’t think my dad has been cavalier. As far as I know family members have been shopping for them and they haven’t even been going to church which is highly unusual for them. I think they just got tired of not seeing their kids and grandkids.

I’m hoping they’ll be ok; they’re a week into it and seem to he alright. Although I wonder if my step mom should get medical attention.
              sigpic

Comment

• EddieMac
                Canuck Mod, eh!
                • Feb 2004

Gees man,,,thoughts and prayers for them.
                sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

I hope everyone is ok. Take care.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                    team preacher
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    I hope everyone is ok. Take care.
                    Thank you; I appreciate the sentiment.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Peerless
                      Football Immortal
                      • May 2004

Thank you Brent.

Indeed, although this isn’t exactly a moment of clarity for me. I haven’t doubted the severity or seriousness of it. I’m not one who claims it’s just the flu. I stopped biting my fingers. I wash my hands almost compulsively. I social distance at work and rarely go into the marketplace. I advocate for masks in crowded places like grocery stores where social distancing isn't possible.
                      I’ve said for quite sometime I’m very concerned about my parents and my father in law getting it.

And to be clear I don’t think my dad has been cavalier. As far as I know family members have been shopping for them and they haven’t even been going to church which is highly unusual for them. I think they just got tired of not seeing their kids and grandkids.

I’m hoping they’ll be ok; they’re a week into it and seem to he alright. Although I wonder if my step mom should get medical attention.
                      Sending prayers. Keep us updated.

Comment

• Hadez
                        Football Immortal
                        • Nov 2004

Did a prayer for your parents.

Hope do you not mind that I suggest Vit D is among the vitamins you mentioned.
                        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                        effort x talent = skill
                        effort x skill = achievement
                        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Hadez
                          Football Immortal
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                          I guess it is all about perspective. From everything I see from outside of the country, it looks like the story is more push back than compliance, but obviously I could be wrong. I do find your perspective odd however as if this was the overwhelming case, why is America so bad at containing the spread? If you look at much more compliant countries, again perspective according to reporting, why are these countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, doing so much better? The health advice is the same, the actions just seem to be adopted on a much larger scale in these other places, so why is America doing so poorly? Health of citizens? Because Australia is not far behind America in being obese and unhealthy.
                          My opinion is this is something new the world has not gone through on a level this large. The early testing was pretty horrible. While places like South Korea has a pretty good grasp on their testing in March I know people in Southern California with symptoms could not always get testing even in April. I think there are a lot of people trying to wrap their head around what is happening even in July 2020.

The scientific method will not give us "science" on Covid19 until probably 2021 assuming the studies were funded and started in 2020. That means until then we are using data correlations and anecdotal data to make our conclusions...our hypothesis. Some people are not even using data and pushing out their theories or making assumptions based on the extreme outliers they see in the news...which is to be expected on something we have been studying less than a year.

I would not jump to any conclusions as to why the USA seems to be doing poorly. Even then one can look at the curve of New York compared to Florida and ask why are they different?

If you want a I come up with some theories on this and while there may be insight if I do not write an essay and reference my sources all I am really doing is telling you my speculation.

What I would suggest is leaning on the things we have already learned about the Immune System. Things that have been known and shown before Covid19. Specifically I bring up Vit D because it has been shown to helpful against things that are a problem with Covid19. In addition people have seen the data correlations between lack of Vit D and bad cases of Covid19 so various studies have been started.

The more I see/hear doctors explain why Vit D would have a major impact and how it could even explain why minorities are going through more rough times with Covid19 the more I question why this is something I need to dig through podcasts and youtube to find information on and wonder why am I not seeing our leaders talk about it.
                          What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                          effort x talent = skill
                          effort x skill = achievement
                          How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

It's mid July and autumn is a ways away. But before you know it, we will be into fall, and nearing flu season. And if the virus is still a problem, it could be very difficult trying to manage both simultaneously. Say I start feeling sick, do I get tested or do I assume it's the flu? This thing needs to be stymied to a high degree, because you don't want a double medical problem. It could be very taxing to the healthcare system.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                              team preacher
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              Did a prayer for your parents.

Hope do you not mind that I suggest Vit D is among the vitamins you mentioned.
                              It is one of the vitamins, yes.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                                team preacher
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                                Sending prayers. Keep us updated.
                                Will do, thank you. My dad got a little annoyed because I woke him up with a phone call this morning to check on them. 🤣
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X