Page 135 of 151 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2260

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #2011
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    My dad’s fever (likely due to the pancreas infection) has been gone for 2 days. They took him off antibiotics yesterday and released him from the hospital today; so thankful!
    great news!!
    Time to develop some new players

  2. #2012
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,206

  3. #2013
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    I don't follow. I haven't heard any credible suggesting children are immune (and if they did they are wrong) but that children have a significantly lower mortality rate from/with Covid - < 7% cases while ~ .03% of fatalities.

    So kids are not immune (hence the larger discussion about opening schools and transmission that has been going on for weeks now) but even the seasonal flu for children is of greater risk to children.

  4. #2014
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I don't follow. I haven't heard any credible suggesting children are immune (and if they did they are wrong) but that children have a significantly lower mortality rate from/with Covid - < 7% cases while ~ .03% of fatalities.

    So kids are not immune (hence the larger discussion about opening schools and transmission that has been going on for weeks now) but even the seasonal flu for children is of greater risk to children.
    Thatís the point. There is no credible suggestion that they are immune. Only baseless verbal garbage. 😀

  5. #2015
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    That’s the point. There is no credible suggestion that they are immune. Only baseless verbal garbage. ��


    10char

  6. #2016
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    And millions are going back to school these next couple of weeks.

  7. #2017
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    And millions are going back to school these next couple of weeks.
    With lots and lots of teachers and support staff, who I am pretty sure are not children. And then there's that other concern....children returning home to their families.

    I can see education in schools, but not in active pandemic areas, and only if there is some form of safe distancing and the like. Some schools are going 50% at school / 50% at home. It will be tough for parents, but it's a wise consideration pending the covid situation.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-10-2020 at 08:29 AM.

  8. #2018
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    And millions are going back to school these next couple of weeks.
    Some states and school districts will start the year online at a distance. Here the kids won't be back in the building until October, and then will be in two groups one week on for four days and one week online with a cleaning day each week. Teachers will conduct class for students in the classroom and online at the same time which should be a challenge.

    Staffing was a developing problem before Covid and is now more so. I imagine teachers with enough years to retire will carefully consider it. There could be an exodus between now and when the kids return to the school building. If so, it will exacerbate the teacher shortage which will be a bigger problem after the pandemic subsides.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  9. #2019
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    And millions are going back to school these next couple of weeks.

  10. #2020
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,623
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Some states and school districts will start the year online at a distance. Here the kids won't be back in the building until October, and then will be in two groups one week on for four days and one week online with a cleaning day each week. Teachers will conduct class for students in the classroom and online at the same time which should be a challenge.

    Staffing was a developing problem before Covid and is now more so. I imagine teachers with enough years to retire will carefully consider it. There could be an exodus between now and when the kids return to the school building. If so, it will exacerbate the teacher shortage which will be a bigger problem after the pandemic subsides.
    This is how I see it, especially for those near retirement, with some health concerns, or who have financial stability. Why chance it? And I am sure there are many teachers and support staff who fall into those categories.

    The good news, it will open jobs for others. But short term could be a problem. Maybe long term as well, as you say.

  11. #2021
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Some states and school districts will start the year online at a distance. Here the kids won't be back in the building until October, and then will be in two groups one week on for four days and one week online with a cleaning day each week. Teachers will conduct class for students in the classroom and online at the same time which should be a challenge.
    Here in Thurston County (made up of 3 primary cities: state capital Olympia, Lacey & Tumwater and many surrounding very small cities/rural areas) they announced last week there will be no in person classes...everything will be online. Not a surprise since Thurston County cases have been increasing for several weeks (even the tiny hole in the wall city I live in with 2000 residents has recently reported 20 new cases).

    Here's another interesting thing going on out in my neck of the woods. The main opponent running against incumbent governor Inslee is a guy named Loren Culp. He held a 500 person rally in the next town over a couple weeks ago - no masks, no social distancing. No wonder, as he's telling his supporters they don't have to wear masks or social distance because it's against the state constitution. I was in Walmart a couple days ago picking up a post surgery Rx for my wife and everyone was wearing masks...except this woman wearing a Culp for Governor shirt. I could tell she was walking around with that, "I dare you to tell me I have to wear a mask" stance and people were giving her a wide berth. A couple weeks ago someone in the Tumwater Fred Meyer grocery without a mask pulled a gun on a store employee claiming he felt threatened by the employee telling him he had to wear a mask. Seriously? WA firearm law is very specific...you can only use a firearm to prevent felonious bodily assault to yourself or others. This actually made the NBC nightly news. Another thing that made the national news in late June was our county sheriff saying he refuses to enforce Inslee's mask requirement because he doesn't believe it's necessary and literally calling Thurston county residents who do wear a mask, "sheep". I wonder exactly which college our sheriff got his medical degree from?

    I understand some people are mad about the shutdown and the economic effect it may be having on them, but by not following the mask and social distancing laws and guidelines, they're only helping spread covid even further and faster - making it take even longer for the governor to lift the shutdown. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

    Things are completely crazy out here, luckily my wife & I only go into town once a week for supplies and we try to get everything brought out to the car
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

  12. #2022
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Here in Thurston County (made up of 3 primary cities: state capital Olympia, Lacey & Tumwater and many surrounding very small cities/rural areas) they announced last week there will be no in person classes...everything will be online. Not a surprise since Thurston County cases have been increasing for several weeks (even the tiny hole in the wall city I live in with 2000 residents has recently reported 20 new cases).

    Here's another interesting thing going on out in my neck of the woods. The main opponent running against incumbent governor Inslee is a guy named Loren Culp. He held a 500 person rally in the next town over a couple weeks ago - no masks, no social distancing. No wonder, as he's telling his supporters they don't have to wear masks or social distance because it's against the state constitution. I was in Walmart a couple days ago picking up a post surgery Rx for my wife and everyone was wearing masks...except this woman wearing a Culp for Governor shirt. I could tell she was walking around with that, "I dare you to tell me I have to wear a mask" stance and people were giving her a wide berth. A couple weeks ago someone in the Tumwater Fred Meyer grocery without a mask pulled a gun on a store employee claiming he felt threatened by the employee telling him he had to wear a mask. Seriously? WA firearm law is very specific...you can only use a firearm to prevent felonious bodily assault to yourself or others. This actually made the NBC nightly news. Another thing that made the national news in late June was our county sheriff saying he refuses to enforce Inslee's mask requirement because he doesn't believe it's necessary and literally calling Thurston county residents who do wear a mask, "sheep". I wonder exactly which college our sheriff got his medical degree from?

    I understand some people are mad about the shutdown and the economic effect it may be having on them, but by not following the mask and social distancing laws and guidelines, they're only helping spread covid even further and faster - making it take even longer for the governor to lift the shutdown. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

    Things are completely crazy out here, luckily my wife & I only go into town once a week for supplies and we try to get everything brought out to the car
    Good post!

    The part that I just don't get is the anger that some show because others want them to help out the situation, by wearing a mask or at least distancing. Seems so irresponsible and immature in some ways, to think your individual rights override the health and well-being of so many others....and potentially set back the health and economic recovery for all.

  13. #2023
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,407
    WLmart Canada has announced it will me mask mandatory for all customers as of aug 12th

    I might shop other places as I don’t like wearing the masks...

    But I will not walk into the stores and challenge the rule....

    There is the difference between reasonable and u reasonable reactions...

    Pulling guns, deliberately breaking rules just to make a point, calling out others publicly .. that’s not cool..
    Last edited by EddieMac; 08-10-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  14. #2024
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,313
    And we have Sturgis. Thousands of people (250,000 expected) for 10 days with no masks or social distancing. Coming from all areas and then going back. It's fine if they don't care if they get the virus and possibly die, that's their choice. It's when they spread it to others that do care.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  15. #2025
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    And we have Sturgis. Thousands of people (250,000 expected) for 10 days with no masks or social distancing. Coming from all areas and then going back. It's fine if they don't care if they get the virus and possibly die, that's their choice. It's when they spread it to others that do care.
    I love visiting South Dakota! Been there several times and I recommend it. The Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, Caves, and so much more, including Sturgis. Keep going west and you are into Wyoming and onto Yellowstone if you so wish.

    But I find the decision to move forward and the way it is being handled as a disappointment, especially given that in a survey of residents by the city, more than 60% said the rally should be postponed.

    Bikers often represent all types of folks within a population. They are wise. I think this could have been handled different, even if the rally was allowed to continue. Heck, bikers wear cool garb, including interesting scarves. Why not show 'em off when in close proximity!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-10-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •