Page 99 of 134 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2010

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/surgeo...ic-coronavirus

A month and a half ago this guy says masks are pointless ...now all of a sudden the same guy says it's a must??? What changed?
    I think what it might be is that your mask doesnít protect you but it does protect others.

Presumably, if we all wear masks we protect each other.

That being said, I only wear a mask if itís mandated and enforced by the establishment I am entering.

One thing that doesnít seem to get emphasized enough is that length of time of exposure to others matters.

If youíre only going to be around others for a couple of minutes, you donít really need a mask.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    The US has the sixth highest death rate in the world. How is that "so low" in your words?

Are you content with that? America... AMERICA, with all of the research, science, medical advances and technology is the sixth highest world wide. It is also more than twice as high as that of the country with the second-highest death toll, Brazil, based on data here from Johns Hopkins. Out of the 20 most affected countries, the US also has the second highest number of coronavirus deaths per 100,000 people, behind the UK.

Look at a country like Japan. Japan has less than 1000 covid deaths. They never went into full econmoic shut down. They have an unemployment rate of 2.6%. How did they do it? Vitrually everbody wears a mask. Americans have no idea how flippin' stupid they look on the world stage. Healthy living, respect for others, masks, staying home...basically things Americans are not capable or willing to do.
    You know I'm Canadian but I can't help but think about one of my fav Presidents who once said.....

ďAsk not what your country can do for you Ė ask what you can do for your country,Ē

I believe that is a great thought to this day, no matter what country or community you belong to.

The US has the sixth highest death rate in the world. How is that "so low" in your words?

Are you content with that? America... AMERICA, with all of the research, science, medical advances and technology is the sixth highest world wide. It is also more than twice as high as that of the country with the second-highest death toll, Brazil, based on data here from Johns Hopkins. Out of the 20 most affected countries, the US also has the second highest number of coronavirus deaths per 100,000 people, behind the UK.

Look at a country like Japan. Japan has less than 1000 covid deaths. They never went into full econmoic shut down. They have an unemployment rate of 2.6%. How did they do it? Vitrually everbody wears a mask. Americans have no idea how flippin' stupid they look on the world stage. Healthy living, respect for others, masks, staying home...basically things Americans are not capable or willing to do.
    Since the Japanese usually wear masks, I was wondering if that helped them. And they still mostly bow, not shake hands. It's so crowded in places like Tokyo though, I wonder how difficult social distancing is.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

To infinity...and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Since the Japanese usually wear masks, I was wondering if that helped them. And they still mostly bow, not shake hands. It's so crowded in places like Tokyo though, I wonder how difficult social distancing is.
    Super interesting why Japan has only had ~1k deaths. They also have an elderly population and live in close proximity in cities like Tokyo.

Some suggestions made by researchers:

Antibodies from previous SARS outbreak

Previous experience with SARS

Highly compliant population

Early lockdown (ish)

Early identification of high risk actives (clubs, bars, singing etc)

High level of mask use

Super interesting why Japan has only had ~1k deaths. They also have an elderly population and live in close proximity in cities like Tokyo.

Some suggestions made by researchers:

Antibodies from previous SARS outbreak

Previous experience with SARS

Highly compliant population

Early lockdown (ish)

Early identification of high risk actives (clubs, bars, singing etc)

High level of mask use
    Alot of places also reacted better to it then the us. Such as having testing available and around as quick as possible then took the necessary steps to get those people to stay home.

I would suggest that, without going into detail, countries with a solid, timely plan most likely benefitted by keeping politics out of the covid discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I would suggest that, without going into detail, countries with a solid, timely plan most likely benefitted by keeping politics out of the covid discussion.
    That's our biggest issue...

People want to politicize everything...

Wearing a mask is them trying to take away my freedom.

Staying at home is trying to control me and take away my freedom... It's not about left or right people, it's about keeping people safe. Leave the politics out and do your part.

As usual, the devil is in the details.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's our biggest issue...

People want to politicize everything...

Wearing a mask is them trying to take away my freedom.

Staying at home is trying to control me and take away my freedom... It's not about left or right people, it's about keeping people safe. Leave the politics out and do your part.
    Some have yet to awaken to the realization that irresponsibly exercising their own "freedoms" may ultimately deprive someone else of their life.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

This country was built on the principle of freedom. People are going to push back when the government tries to take it away. Thatís not politicizing anything. Thatís standing up for freedom.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Some have yet to awaken to the realization that irresponsibly exercising their own "freedoms" may ultimately deprive someone else of their life.
    This is the crux of the matter to me Sam, and always has been. Exercising one's liberties should not be about potentially harming others. Sure, many things we do can accidentally harm someone else, like driving a vehicle, BUT it is different when there is a higher risk situation involving many unknowns. In the vehicle example, it would be more similar to driving at a high speed on icy roads with no winter tires and poor brakes. You have taken an abnormal situation and ignored substantial risk to others.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-10-2020 at 01:08 PM.

This is the crux of the matter to me Sam, and always has been. Exercising one's liberties should not be about potentially harming others. Sure, many things we do can accidentally harm someone else, like driving a vehicle, BUT it is different when there is a higher risk situation involving many unknowns. In the vehicle example, it would be more similar to driving at a high speed on icy roads with no winter tires and poor brakes. You have taken an abnormal situation and ignored substantial risk to others.
    Exercising our liberties shouldnít harm others is something I agree with 100% That is a blanket statement. Can you share some examples of people exercising liberties and harming others right now?

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Exercising our liberties shouldn’t harm others is something I agree with 100% That is a blanket statement. Can you share some examples of people exercising liberties and harming others right now?
    I think that's self evident given similar comments by others here, and with the more accurate description of "potentially harming".

I will give you my simple view on this. I had a smallish sore throat (with no other symptoms). I've had them a number of times over the years, but because I had a couple of appointments coming up, I decided to get tested before I went, just in case. Plus I would not want to infect my wife. So for me, instead of just thinking I'm ok, my responsibility made me do the simple thing....get a test, and wear a mask when going out. I could have made an assumption that all was well. I tested negative. But I still wear a mask when in tight places, even though we are almost free of any cases. I don't want to get the virus, and I do not want to share it. I would feel worse to pass it on.

So if I stated that it's my right not to wear or mask, or in this case, not get tested, I could pass the virus on, which is potentially harmful to others. And I feel the same way with social distancing...it's my responsibility to keep a distance.

Now maybe ask the others here who have said basically the same thing. Maybe my view is unique. Maybe I am over-cautious. There's at least 2 more well known members on this very page.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-10-2020 at 04:33 PM.