Page 15 of 136 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    For now I'm still able to go to work, but they are working on sending us to work from home soon.
    Ironically, I just set up some people to work from home today remotely and was looking to upgrade some systems to better serve remote users -- but I don't get that luxury.

Sooo... who wants to play charades?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Assuming this infected everyone in the US, it could kill potentially 11 million us citizens. Will it infect that many? Will that many die? We won't know unless it hits us full force, I'd rather be safe than sorry personally.
    This is the kind of ridiculous thing that all the media scare mongering is driving into people. The facts are that there is a higher chance of catching seasonal flu then covid 19, and 96.5 pc of people recover in around 48 hours without needing medical care. The media has got some people thinking that if they catch it then they die and that is so crazy its unreal.

If the media spouted the facts in an informed and sensibly balanced way then the public would have a much different perception of what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    That is such a negative, end of the world, overreaction thing to say. By July this will be a thing of the past guaranteed, China are a few months ahead of us and they have peaked and are coming down the other side.

I speak to many parents in my job and the vast majority of people I speak to think this is crazy hysteria, the government keep moaning at people for ignoring their lockdown advice. People want to get on with thier lives and if by some chance they catch this (still a lower percentage then the flu) then stay at home and get over it like anything else.

I think you have bought into the media hysteria without having a sensible balanced approach. What happened in 2018 when 80,000 (not 180) people died of the common flu ? there was no panic, no shutdown, life carried on as normal.

The media, the global leaders, and the hysteric people around in society that are quite frankly ridiculous, will have ruined the lifes of millions of people worldwide for a flu virus that is far less deadly then the normal flu (which kills 650,000 every year)
    Bronx....we sometimes disagree, but this time I think we are too far apart to even discuss further. Do you not think I want this to end soon? We are retired and the market has told me that it wants to mess with my investments, and they are very conservative. And yes, we are not young, and we love many folks, and we want all to be safe and healthy.....and I do care about people's health that I do not even know.

I am not being negative. I am listening to the medical people, the scientists, the "intelligent" leaders...not the media. You are being quite unfair to package people like me into a category like that, without knowing our sources. I've heard people say, "don't worry' before about numerous things, and sometimes they were right. I wish I could just believe you, and go on a nice vacation. Can't do it.

Do you understand this virus? Do you really? I doubt it. That is not an insult, it's the fact you are not an expert. I confess, I don't fully understand it and its characteristics. But the thing we read the other day, about it's swift ability to mutate scares me a bit. How do you corner something that is changing as you try to discover a cure?

But I am optimistic, more than you think. IF leaders act like leaders, and stop with the partial truth, for political reason. And if all countries forge together in trying to create enough tests for all that need them, and find a cure more quickly than is projected. Stop with the egos and make this a team effort. And yes, if we try to minimize the spread of this thing, before the hospitals get over burdened.

What you seem to be calling negative, I would call being realistic and proactive, and optimistic as well. We'll win this thing, but not if people are callous or think that they are too strong for it to mess with their lives. Take our collective medicine. Be wise. And yes, stay cool. I listen to and watch less of certain media. But then again, most media around the world, be it big companies or small local stations, will talk about this pandemic, until it subsides. That's not hysteria. It's called news.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-19-2020 at 08:22 PM.

This is the kind of ridiculous thing that all the media scare mongering is driving into people. The facts are that there is a higher chance of catching seasonal flu then covid 19, and 96.5 pc of people recover in around 48 hours without needing medical care. The media has got some people thinking that if they catch it then they die and that is so crazy its unreal.

If the media spouted the facts in an informed and sensibly balanced way then the public would have a much different perception of what is happening.
    What drives me nuts. Is this crazed overreaction has changed so much that level headed people have to act crazy to just get by right now..

The hoarders, the fear mongering, its already getting old..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

That is such a negative, end of the world, overreaction thing to say. By July this will be a thing of the past guaranteed, China are a few months ahead of us and they have peaked and are coming down the other side.

I speak to many parents in my job and the vast majority of people I speak to think this is crazy hysteria, the government keep moaning at people for ignoring their lockdown advice. People want to get on with their lives and if by some chance they catch this (still a lower percentage then the flu) then stay at home and get over it like anything else.

I think you have bought into the media hysteria without having a sensible balanced approach. What happened in 2018 when 80,000 (not 180) people died of the common flu ? there was no panic, no shutdown, life carried on as normal.

The media, the global leaders, and the hysteric people around in society that are quite frankly ridiculous, will have ruined the lifes of millions of people worldwide for a flu virus that is far less deadly then the normal flu (which kills 650,000 every year)
    I wouldn't take anything that comes out of China as evidence. As we've seen in the not so long ago past with this virus - the China’s Communist Party not only failed to contain the virus from spreading, but also the information surrounding it in international press. They also severely downplayed the coronavirus case numbers, along with the failure to control the narrative surrounding it as new cases popped up around the world.

And now we hear that there aren't any new reported cases? C'mon....

Is Covid-19 serious? You bet it is.

Does it mean America should PANIC, horde, overreact? Of course not.

But America needs to REACT. The media and journalist are doing their jobs. I don't think they are a separate entity willing to crush America in every aspect: Social, economical, cultural, etc.

And the comparison to the common flu isn't that reasonable IMO.

The incubation time, the hospitalization rate, AND the fatality rate all trump the common flu.

The common flu also doesn't shut down governments and countries, destroy the stock market, stop all major sports, stop education at all levels, shut down restaurants and bars, create a horde for toilet paper / food, and create a stay home and hide mentality.

The common flu also doesn't put a dent in the health care industry. PPE and ventilators are already being maxed out. Hospitals (including the one I work at) have stopped pretty much all elective surgeries. Constant pages to help out in the flooded ER. The PACU has even become an ER overload floor....

And there is no way - that the media of all people, would cause such a hysteria that would catalyze all of these events...

No, this is far different. Comparing Covid19 to the common flu is literally an out or an easy way to numb people from realizing that we're in a very serious situation here...

I mean, I'm not trying to debate you or anyone - I guess this is just what I've read, observe, and live through with at work.
    Last edited by Peerless; 03-20-2020 at 05:33 AM.

I will never be convinced that these measures are in line with the virus. Economies collapsing, thousands out of a job, lost businesses, lost homes, huge spike in mental health suicides and depression. The measures put in place would be justified if this was a threat to wipe out 20 pc of the population. Yes precautions are needed and yes its a virus that can be fatal (like many illnesses) but this over-reacting is not worth it by a long long way.

Did you know that China, the birthplace of this virus, have reported no new cases today. Yes there will probably be more reported and some more deaths in the next month but they are coming out of the other side already.

In China there have been just over 3000 deaths. In the UK (a far smaller population) 6500 people have died from the seasonal flu which began 6 months ago.

I know we live in a society of fear but people need to look at those numbers and get some perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    What drives me nuts. Is this crazed overreaction has changed so much that level headed people have to act crazy to just get by right now..

OK...I've asked you folks before, what is it we should be doing, instead of what we are now doing?

And by that, I do not mean "stop overreacting".

I simply ask....if you were in charge of Canada, cuz that's where you are from, how would you control this thing, and make people feel safe and optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post

We live in a society of fear, and although people won't admit it there are some who enjoy this kind of drama.

To people who don't live under the bed and have a sensible balanced view it is absolutely maddening to see how society is reacting and the damage they are doing to so many peoples lives.

Bronx you're just dug in now -- there's not going to be any open minded consensus.

There are experts out there who have advice for us all. To ignore it and call it conspiracy is risky to say the least. Are you an expert on Virology? Economics? Sociology? Psychology? Journalism?

Or you just feel deep in your bones -as a hunch- that it's all just an over reaction despite the fact that none of us has ever seen our countries leaders react like this. Even Trump started out glazing over this thing but there was a day last week where he did a 180 and something changed his mind quick. Not that Trump is any kind of indicator of reality..... but he is one stubborn dude.

I think I'll trust the experts of the world's opinion because I'm not an expert. Even the most knowledgeable in the field of medicine have stopped all elective surgeries as Peerless pointed out(which his post sums it all up quite well). You say media is to blame for this over reaction? I know of a certain few contrarian media outlets who are trumpeting the same thing you are.

I'm concerned you're not worried in the least. Because that's the kind of attitude that could get you sick............or worse you get someone you love sick or someone you don't even know sick (who will get 3 more people sick etc).

To be completely fair, I do understand where you're coming from though. This is frustrating. The last bank bailout made bankers rich. No one went to jail. Very little help got the average person We've already bailed out the stock markets and they kept tanking

But what's scary is Both USA and South Korea confirmed their first virus case on the same day. Since then ..........S Korea has tested over 300000 of it's citizens and their confirmed cases have been declining in the last couple weeks ...................while the USA with 6x the population we've tested 25000 people and the results are obvious. Yet rich people seem to be able to get tested. On one hand you want to trust the leaders but you have to think for your self too.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Just here to wish all my BCMB people to be well...

Be smart,

Be safe...

Use the extra time you may have on your hands to do self improvement activities... keep the mental health and immune up. There are tragic, tragic things happening in the world right now. This virus doesn't respect national boundaries, political or religious beliefs... But it won't hit everyone equally... this thing is going to tragically have elevated numbers to economically challenged communities. I gave blood today, there's a great shortage where I am at. If you can afford it, consider donating.

There will be some good to come out of this. Promise.

I will never be convinced that these measures are in line with the virus.
    I think this statement will age poorly, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    Just here to wish all my BCMB people to be well...

Be smart,

Be safe...

Use the extra time you may have on your hands to do self improvement activities... keep the mental health and immune up. There are tragic, tragic things happening in the world right now. This virus doesn't respect national boundaries, political or religious beliefs... But it won't hit everyone equally... this thing is going to tragically have elevated numbers to economically challenged communities. I gave blood today, there's a great shortage where I am at. If you can afford it, consider donating.

There will be some good to come out of this. Promise.
    Well said.
    This "thing" is becoming more real and closer to home day by day.
    The eldest daughter of one of my college best friends, a student at Cardiff University is ill with it this week.
    Her Dad is doing the 400 mile round trip at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning to bring her home. The family of four will then go into self isolation for a fortnight.

So, I chipped a huge chunk off a molar last night, and I am so thankful our neighborhood dentist is taking emergency appointments. Iím thankful my great state of Idaho is taking a smart approach to this. Im hopeful social distancing and fast advancements in science provide good measures for health and safety. Iím probably going to stock up on tonic water with quinine tonight in the event someone in my home gets sick. Quinine is used to treat malaria and Iíve recovered from bronchitis in less than a week using it.

I will never be convinced that these measures are in line with the virus. Economies collapsing, thousands out of a job, lost businesses, lost homes, huge spike in mental health suicides and depression. The measures put in place would be justified if this was a threat to wipe out 20 pc of the population. Yes precautions are needed and yes its a virus that can be fatal (like many illnesses) but this over-reacting is not worth it by a long long way.

Did you know that China, the birthplace of this virus, have reported no new cases today. Yes there will probably be more reported and some more deaths in the next month but they are coming out of the other side already.

In China there have been just over 3000 deaths. In the UK (a far smaller population) 6500 people have died from the seasonal flu which began 6 months ago.

I know we live in a society of fear but people need to look at those numbers and get some perspective.
    You seriously need to break your normalcy bias. It is people with this mindset that has turned Italy into a flat out disaster zone. This isn't your normal flu, no matter how much you wish for it to be.

Here are some facts for you, though I have a feeling you will ignore them like the rest that have been provided in this thread:

-China had to initiate a lockdown of the infected provinces that stopped ALL travel. Other measures included welding doors shut of infected to forcefully limit their exposure.

-There are now over 250,000 cases worldwide (that are known). It took 3 months to get to 100,000. It took 12 days to get the next 100,000. That should give you context of the exponential growth of how a virus like this spreads.

-Hospitals are already facing shortages of supplies. NYC is projecting to run out of supplies in 3 weeks. Dr This Georgia hospital used 5 months worth of supplies in 6 days: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rce=reddit.com

-South Korea was doing a fantastic job of controlling Covid for the first 30 patients, severely limiting the spread. Then patient #31 came along, did not adhere to the social distancing, and is responsible for 80% of South Korea's infections. This shows how important these "overractions" are. https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-H...3SB/index.html

-NSFW, here is a video of what hospitals look like in Italy if you want to see it: https://vimeo.com/398334975

-Dr Fauci, the US immunologist and director of the NIAID, is bluntly recommending shut downs and "over-reacting". CDC and WHO are also recommending similar. So this isn't something overblown by the media.

-Here are more facts comparing it to the normal flu: https://www.propublica.org/article/t...-it-to-the-flu

Yes, people need to stop hoarding supplies. However if you actually start reading the medical advice from all of the experts, medical organizations, and take a look at the data you cannot claim that this is no big deal.

And now some good stuff:

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...-closes-2020-3

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/w...ronavirus.html

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/14/dutch-...ibodies-report

- A 103 year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...treatment.html

- Apple reopens all 42 China stores.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/2...virus-covid-19

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...y-in-cleveland

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
    https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...or-a-third-day

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/number...ry?id=69513697

- Scientists in Israel are likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
    https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...dy-in-90-days/

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
    https://www.fox5dc.com/news/3-maryla...-everyday-life

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...irus-1.4851641

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
    https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/he...f-663789db6889

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.
    https://www.newson6.com/story/418893...epartment-says

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.
    https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le31064785.ece

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ients-n1158476

Lets share as we go forward!