Page 12 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by mainBroncos60 View Post
    Yes, things have improved. Wal-Mart got their pick up system back up and running. I was able to order everything I needed, including pet food and toilet paper, and will pick it up Thursday afternoon. I feel much better now. And thanks again to everyone for their support. That means as much, if not more, as having some semblance of normalcy return by being able to pick up my groceries.
    That's good to hear....

Happy for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    If you do that, please have someone stream it.

As Can said, some stores have a certain time for vulnerable people, usually the first hour of opening. Target and Safeway are 2 that I remember.

Your parents are fortunate that they have you.

It's amazing how the mindset changes when it hits closer to home.

I really have issues with people intentionally doing things to infect others. I've seen articles saying this. I also know someone who works in a local store that has seen people sneeze in their hands and touch merchandise. That's yucky at any time, but right now? Dumb.
    Keep spreading the word! Time for us all to be looking out for one another. Lets put to the test the theory that we are caring, responsible folks.

I am beginning to reflect on the Gander, Newfoundland story, relative to 9/11, where a small community stopped everything they were doing to take care of 7,000 travellers who were temporarily lost in transition. That's the true meaning of kindness and Christianity! I still tear up a little when I watch the videos.

Please take a few minutes to watch this shortened version of the humanity, in hard times...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...31&FORM=WRVORC

Lets prove ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by mainBroncos60 View Post
    Yes, things have improved. Wal-Mart got their pick up system back up and running. I was able to order everything I needed, including pet food and toilet paper, and will pick it up Thursday afternoon. I feel much better now. And thanks again to everyone for their support. That means as much, if not more, as having some semblance of normalcy return by being able to pick up my groceries.
    One more thing....Canadian grocery stores are confident that they will be better able to supply essentials, now that the initial wave of "hoarders" took a big hit on the system. They just needed time to regroup from the onslaught. And I believe US and Canada are very similar in this type of thing. Like I mentioned earlier, Costco was very much better in control today, on my visit. Smart rules, social distancing, separate line for "one only" toilet paper if you wanted to buy, and so on. Good business finds a way!

I'm a fan of this Youtube channel. And now he has a video on covid-19

For what it's worth to you all

Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Keep spreading the word! Time for us all to be looking out for one another. Lets put to the test the theory that we are caring, responsible folks.

I am beginning to reflect on the Gander, Newfoundland story, relative to 9/11, where a small community stopped everything they were doing to take care of 7,000 travellers who were temporarily lost in transition. That's the true meaning of kindness and Christianity! I still tear up a little when I watch the videos.

Please take a few minutes to watch this shortened version of the humanity, in hard times...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...31&FORM=WRVORC

Lets prove ourselves!
    There is an excellent documentary on Canadian prison camps and how they treated German prisoners in WW2. Canadians were such humane people that many Germans actually decided to live in Canada after the war. I wish I had a link for you. Maybe I'll search it up when I find some time.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    There is an excellent documentary on Canadian prison camps and how they treated German prisoners in WW2. Canadians were such humane people that many Germans actually decided to live in Canada after the war. I wish I had a link for you. Maybe I'll search it up when I find some time.
    Thx for passing that on dizz! Very kind of you!!

(must refresh)

I certainly don't think any of this is an overreaction purely given the facts that we have and the need to not overwhelm the system. What makes me nervous is the rumors that it could be like this until we get a vaccine all set in the next 14-18 months. I can't do this for 18 months without going crazy, but the comparisons to wars of the past is a helpful one - I'd rather be forced to work from home for an extended period of time then go to war.

Hoping that in the next month or so we can start to slowly move back to normal. I do think this will permanently change the way we live - more hand washing (good), less business travel (probably good) and maybe even more attention to general health and safety (also good!)

We'll see.
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver View Post
    I certainly don't think any of this is an overreaction purely given the facts that we have and the need to not overwhelm the system. What makes me nervous is the rumors that it could be like this until we get a vaccine all set in the next 14-18 months. I can't do this for 18 months without going crazy, but the comparisons to wars of the past is a helpful one - I'd rather be forced to work from home for an extended period of time then go to war.

Hoping that in the next month or so we can start to slowly move back to normal. I do think this will permanently change the way we live - more hand washing (good), less business travel (probably good) and maybe even more attention to general health and safety (also good!)

We'll see.
    Yes pal. And I totally agree that even after this subsides, hygiene and some of our social behaviour will take on a different look. Will we even shake hands? Will we be cleaning surfaces more regularly? Will we turn down certain types of gatherings for a long while?

I have always said that previous generations (to mine) had it worse than us, with World Wars, Depression and so forth. 9/11 was one type of wake up call, as was The 2008 Recession. But this is a different kind of threat, and a very worrisome one. We have to beat it. It may slow down and come back. Time for science and resourcing to help speed the cause.

Lets all do our part.

As of an hour ago ......... a quick google search according to NYtimes

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

The NE Atlantic is looking the worst right now
    Last edited by dizzolve; 03-18-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Our hospital is cancelling all elective / non life threatening surgeries. Gearing up for the influx of symptomatic people in the next week or so....

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Our hospital is cancelling all elective / non life threatening surgeries. Gearing up for the influx of symptomatic people in the next week or so....
    Take care Brent. First wave I suppose. This is why we talk about being wise, managing the spread as best we can, level out the hospital load/equipment/staff, maximize other medical necessity (ie. surgery), and get into some sort of process that keeps us on top of the situation....versus behind, with unnecessary pain and lost lives, not just those with the virus. There is probably a stat somewhere that would equate delayed surgeries into a some form of cost....and I mean loss of lives or longer term distress on patients and their families.

On the slightly good news front, it appears (and I will be watching) that China is levelling off to some degree in terms of new cases. I need to see a few more days to believe it. But it is a bit of light in this darker situation.

They too were criticized as I understand, for a poor start in their stand against this disease. Possibly with lessons learned and smart, quick, well resources action some countries will "get it" in terms of the importance.

Peace.

I started a cv thread in the other sport forum a while back, but did not want to make it a controversial thing, so I kept it low key. But I am glad we have this thread, because I can see it having a solid purpose. And it's not for me to say that we can't share bad news, but I see this thread as a perfect place to share any good news about the situation, as well providing each others hope, support, helpful information, and if nothing else, a place for you to vent and just want to be heard.

I'm listening. And I will try to keep this place as positive as can be. And I know many others here will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think you misinterpreted my question. I am aware that it will run its course. My question was as follows: for those who think we are over-reacting, what would you propose we do? Do we let it run its course without practicing social distancing, proper testing, closures, etc.?
    I think when all of this started they could have put sensible measures in place for elderly people (over 70's) and people with serious health problems in terms of keeping them off work, restricting visitors to care homes, etc...............

When we hear stats such as 96.5 per cent will recover without needing medical treatment and face 48 hours of flu like symtoms then recover, and then we get videos online from people who say they contracted it and 2-3 days later they were fine it just makes a mockery of all this over-reaction.

I have heard comparisions to world war 2, to gain some perspective around 8000 people worldwide have died of this virus (far less then the combination of flu/colds/sickness bugs during the same time) whereas 75 million died in WW2......... people have lost all perspective and world leaders and the media have played into the hands of modern day people who are constantly on edge.

Let me put it this way. When this passes in a few months, and it will, hundreds of thousands of people across the world will have lost their jobs, businesses, and homes. Mental health will see a serious spike and lead to a huge amount of suicides. Without social interaction for an extended amount of time many people will suffer serious depression.

People have no life in terms of every avenue of enjoyment being shut down.

Economies are being crippled which will last long after this virus is gone.

So when these leaders come out and make statements that ruin hundreds of thousands of lifes for 'precautions' I find it irresponsible and absolutely ridiculous.

Plus I went to the supermarkets today and because of these idiots I'm talking about who panic buy there were alot of elderly people who couldn't get groceries and were wandering about confused. Alot of these people without support will be in trouble.

Some people are acting like this is the end of the world and is going to wipe out civilization with these measures of shutting down life. It is ridiculous and embarassing. They have made this a million times worse for a million times more people. Shame on people supporting this madness.

Periodically, I check a website (Worldometer)with a world population counter which also breaks down to net growth daily and net growth this year as well as per country statistics. I noticed today that it had a Coronavirus link at the top and discovered a wealth of statistics on that --cases, deaths, recovered, graphs showing the curve on a timeline, breakdown of information in every country in the world, and links to recent developments all updated daily -for those who want to delve into all of this more.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016