Page 102 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2116

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #1516
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Exactly!!!! Why are we giving all this money to St. Jude's Hospital for kids or donating money to cancer research or developing vaccines? Just let life sort itself out. Why on Earth are we trying to save or help others? It's a total inconvenience on my life.

    /sarcasm



  2. #1517
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I could just have a common cold, get tested and they WILL count it as a covid case. We could just continue to test for the rest of our lives and the "numbers" will grow. If you think this virus isn't political you are fooling yourself. If you want to label me selfish for not wearing a mask outside that's fine, I can handle it. I've already stated how I'm doing my part by staying away from groups. But, I will not just be another sheep and have my life controlled by propaganda
    I don't get this attitude. Let's say that the common cold is recorded as coronavirus right, testing continues into the future, and the numbers do grow. What is the negative surrounding that? It is political fodder and if that is your concern your priorities suck. If people can return to their routines, the economy slowly opens back up, and in the process, you have to wear a mask in the short-term, what is the issue? How progressive and hip of you not being a sheep, but you are being irresponsible to the detriment of others.

    It has become political, you are right, in America, because of the attitudes you are displaying. Outside of the bubble that Americans continue to live in, it is not a political issue. I assume you feel attacked because the other side of politics is using it as ammo to try and say the other side has poorly managed the outbreak of the disease? Is that petty and pathetic that one side has almost seemingly enjoyed watching it happen so they can use it as ammo? Yes. But buying into that political storyline around the virus has you reacting the way you have and just as sheepish, just in a different way, your following some crowd just the one you don't feel attacked by.

    Based on a lot of the comments in this thread with concern around testing, recording, competition between countries, states, etc. it is buying into the politicizing of the virus and adding to the mass hysteria. It is clear one side of politics has almost rejoiced in the spread of the virus as it suits their very anti-other side agenda. Then you have the other side so defensive about this, which you could argue is fair enough, but they have become so hostile and refusing to take simple measures which could prevent the death of others.

    In situations like this you need to defer to the medical experts and they have had a pretty similar message around the world as advice and more information is known. Whether you think everything should be locked down, or whether you refuse to simply wear a mask, being so hostile to any conversation and so defensive in your stance is why this has become political. I am not living in America, but the difference in the way the reporting of the virus has occurred, the response has been reported, and the community's reactions to the virus from one country to the next speaks to how divided and politicized everything is in America, and why the priorities of many are honestly so concerning.

    Wearing a mask isn't the end of the world if you can go about your routine. If the numbers are inflated by being reported on the safe side then fine, it really doesn't affect anything that matters besides a political argument. I just really don't understand how someone could be so blatantly ignorant to think because they are young and healthy that they will refuse to wear a mask in public when near other people because they have the right to, I just can't get my head around that honestly. Americans are so concerned with losing their freedom they blatantly act like idiots to make a point that they will do whatever they want.

  3. #1518
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't get this attitude. Let's say that the common cold is recorded as coronavirus right, testing continues into the future, and the numbers do grow. What is the negative surrounding that? It is political fodder and if that is your concern your priorities suck. If people can return to their routines, the economy slowly opens back up, and in the process, you have to wear a mask in the short-term, what is the issue? How progressive and hip of you not being a sheep, but you are being irresponsible to the detriment of others.

    It has become political, you are right, in America, because of the attitudes you are displaying. Outside of the bubble that Americans continue to live in, it is not a political issue. I assume you feel attacked because the other side of politics is using it as ammo to try and say the other side has poorly managed the outbreak of the disease? Is that petty and pathetic that one side has almost seemingly enjoyed watching it happen so they can use it as ammo? Yes. But buying into that political storyline around the virus has you reacting the way you have and just as sheepish, just in a different way, your following some crowd just the one you don't feel attacked by.

    Based on a lot of the comments in this thread with concern around testing, recording, competition between countries, states, etc. it is buying into the politicizing of the virus and adding to the mass hysteria. It is clear one side of politics has almost rejoiced in the spread of the virus as it suits their very anti-other side agenda. Then you have the other side so defensive about this, which you could argue is fair enough, but they have become so hostile and refusing to take simple measures which could prevent the death of others.

    In situations like this you need to defer to the medical experts and they have had a pretty similar message around the world as advice and more information is known. Whether you think everything should be locked down, or whether you refuse to simply wear a mask, being so hostile to any conversation and so defensive in your stance is why this has become political. I am not living in America, but the difference in the way the reporting of the virus has occurred, the response has been reported, and the community's reactions to the virus from one country to the next speaks to how divided and politicized everything is in America, and why the priorities of many are honestly so concerning.

    Wearing a mask isn't the end of the world if you can go about your routine. If the numbers are inflated by being reported on the safe side then fine, it really doesn't affect anything that matters besides a political argument. I just really don't understand how someone could be so blatantly ignorant to think because they are young and healthy that they will refuse to wear a mask in public when near other people because they have the right to, I just can't get my head around that honestly. Americans are so concerned with losing their freedom they blatantly act like idiots to make a point that they will do whatever they want.
    This is basically what it boils down to... It's simple, it's a MINOR inconvenience, even assuming it has been "politicized" It's not going to kill you to show some compassion to your fellow human being just in case it helps to save someone...

    It's a very small sacrifice and people in your position are making it sound like they're trying to round you up and put you in death camps to remove your freedoms... It's a fricken mask dude... It's so minor and it's getting blown into this huge invasion of your rights... It comes off as having no compassion or regard for the lives of others. It comes off as selfish and in a lot of cases extremely childish...


  4. #1519
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,262
    Ok this thread is getting angry.... and political.... so end it or the thread ends...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  5. #1520
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Ok this thread is getting angry.... and political.... so end it or the thread ends...
    Then I guess I've got nothing more to say at the moment because yes, I am a little angry at the attitudes of some people. I am a little frustrated that it is being made political instead of thinking about the other people impacted by such a simple act.

    So I guess since we're cutting off the discussion, I'll go find something else to talk about. I mean no disrespect, to you EM, but I'm a tad bit frustrated (at the situation, not you)


  6. #1521
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't get this attitude. Let's say that the common cold is recorded as coronavirus right, testing continues into the future, and the numbers do grow. What is the negative surrounding that? It is political fodder and if that is your concern your priorities suck. If people can return to their routines, the economy slowly opens back up, and in the process, you have to wear a mask in the short-term, what is the issue? How progressive and hip of you not being a sheep, but you are being irresponsible to the detriment of others.

    It has become political, you are right, in America, because of the attitudes you are displaying. Outside of the bubble that Americans continue to live in, it is not a political issue. I assume you feel attacked because the other side of politics is using it as ammo to try and say the other side has poorly managed the outbreak of the disease? Is that petty and pathetic that one side has almost seemingly enjoyed watching it happen so they can use it as ammo? Yes. But buying into that political storyline around the virus has you reacting the way you have and just as sheepish, just in a different way, your following some crowd just the one you don't feel attacked by.

    Based on a lot of the comments in this thread with concern around testing, recording, competition between countries, states, etc. it is buying into the politicizing of the virus and adding to the mass hysteria. It is clear one side of politics has almost rejoiced in the spread of the virus as it suits their very anti-other side agenda. Then you have the other side so defensive about this, which you could argue is fair enough, but they have become so hostile and refusing to take simple measures which could prevent the death of others.

    In situations like this you need to defer to the medical experts and they have had a pretty similar message around the world as advice and more information is known. Whether you think everything should be locked down, or whether you refuse to simply wear a mask, being so hostile to any conversation and so defensive in your stance is why this has become political. I am not living in America, but the difference in the way the reporting of the virus has occurred, the response has been reported, and the community's reactions to the virus from one country to the next speaks to how divided and politicized everything is in America, and why the priorities of many are honestly so concerning.

    Wearing a mask isn't the end of the world if you can go about your routine. If the numbers are inflated by being reported on the safe side then fine, it really doesn't affect anything that matters besides a political argument. I just really don't understand how someone could be so blatantly ignorant to think because they are young and healthy that they will refuse to wear a mask in public when near other people because they have the right to, I just can't get my head around that honestly. Americans are so concerned with losing their freedom they blatantly act like idiots to make a point that they will do whatever they want.
    I'll tread lightly (as I'm politicking slightly), but I appreciate you pointing out the obvious that one side is weaponizing the economic and social disruption of this, while the other seems to be fingers in the ears going la-la-la-la.

    I wish the media would report on this objectively, and both sides could come to an agreement that minor inconveniences (i.e., masking up and social distancing) will save lives and slow the spread of this virus. Work toward a favorable outcome for everyone impacted (medically, economically, and socially). Work toward keeping businesses and schools open safely to limit economic damage, and do our part to protect those most vulnerable.

    Simple sacrifices will save lives, and controlled risk can save the economy. We work together to get through this...not half the country warring with the other. Come on peeps - be excellent to each other.

    Yes, these are sad and frustrating times. But at moments like this...I'm reminded of why we have memes.

    To infinity...and beyond.

  7. #1522
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    I'll tread lightly (as I'm politicking slightly), but I appreciate you pointing out the obvious that one side is weaponizing the economic and social disruption of this, while the other seems to be fingers in the ears going la-la-la-la.

    I wish the media would report on this objectively, and both sides could come to an agreement that minor inconveniences (i.e., masking up and social distancing) will save lives and slow the spread of this virus. Work toward a favorable outcome for everyone impacted (medically, economically, and socially). Work toward keeping businesses and schools open safely to limit economic damage, and do our part to protect those most vulnerable.

    Simple sacrifices will save lives, and controlled risk can save the economy. We work together to get through this...not half the country warring with the other. Come on peeps - be excellent to each other.

    Yes, these are sad and frustrating times. But at moments like this...I'm reminded of why we have memes.

    Last thing I will say. I am sure some think I'm heavily left leaning (I'm not, I'm actually pretty disgusted with both sides and plan on going for Jo Jo) Neither side of our media is objective. The objectivity in reporting has gone out the window. The other issue we have is that social media is actively manipulated (from both sides) to spread false information that divides us (and again, it's not right or left, it happens in both directions)

    There's a massive rift in this country and things that absolutely should not be political are being made political. The fact that we're a few months away from November and a massively important moment for our country doesn't help matters.

    We (myself included) play into this when we refused to be open-minded to listen to debate and just stick our fingers in our ears and pretend nothings happening.

    On the one hand, to those of you I've been debating against, I do recognize that we live in a country where our freedoms are slowly and quietly being eroded. (and even if you don't recognize it, both left and right are working towards that same end) I get that and understand that. At the same time, protecting someone's life with a mask shouldn't be viewed as a loss of a freedom. It doesn't help that it's being mandated in some areas because then it can look as though you are being forced, but it's really something that shouldn't even need to be mandated, it's the responsible thing to do, refusing to do it is why it's having to be mandated.

    I'll back off the accusations of selfishness, because I do recognize to an extent the concerns of freedoms, but wearing a mask... that shouldn't be your battleground because that's absolutely someone else's life you're looking after. It's the decent thing to do.

    And now I'll leave it at that.


  8. #1523
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Are you talking The US or UK? I was asking about The UK.
    The US, the UK is at an even lower percentage.

    Leicester are in lockdown and its 3 times higher in rate then the next UK city. The government said today that 117 in every 100,000 test positive in Leicester. Do you know the percentage that is, in our worst city ?

    Am I really going to be scared and change my life for that ? Of course not.

  9. #1524
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's an extremely flawed way of figuring up a death toll... you can't figure up the deaths for total population because the entire population hasn't been exposed to it.

    You figure the deaths based off the total cases.... which leaves you more at 5-10% death rate...

    Your way ridiculously skews the numbers so that no virus aside from a extinction level event are going to seem that serious...
    The testing argument is true, but on the other hand what percentage of people who test positive show no signs or a very minimal cold/flu effect ? Alot more then half.

  10. #1525
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Exactly!!!! Why are we giving all this money to St. Jude's Hospital for kids or donating money to cancer research or developing vaccines? Just let life sort itself out. Why on Earth are we trying to save or help others? It's a total inconvenience on my life.

    /sarcasm
    Has no relevance to the argument at all.

    I one thing I don't like are people who think they can tell others how to live. If someone wants to wear a mask, not go out anywhere, or stay at home for the next 12 months then they are entitled to. When they get on their high horse and think they can demand others do the same is when people turn against them.

  11. #1526
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,571
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Has no relevance to the argument at all.

    I one thing I don't like are people who think they can tell others how to live. If someone wants to wear a mask, not go out anywhere, or stay at home for the next 12 months then they are entitled to. When they get on their high horse and think they can demand others do the same is when people turn against them.
    The argument from others on the other side of the fence you're saying that from is, everyone is entitled to feel safe. And when those others who get on their high horse and say this won't affect them and the numbers are acceptable so I don't care to inconvenience myself just a tiny bit, seems very self centered. Hence why they get turned on.

  12. #1527
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,263
    I'm going to close this thread for now. It will reopen later.

    Thank you for understanding.


    And. please, do not take the heated discussion to other threads or they will be closed, too.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  13. #1528
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I'm going to close this thread for now. It will reopen later.

    Thank you for understanding.


    And. please, do not take the heated discussion to other threads or they will be closed, too.
    What about taking heated discussions and turning them into peaceful discussions in other threads?



  14. #1529
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Has no relevance to the argument at all.

    I one thing I don't like are people who think they can tell others how to live. If someone wants to wear a mask, not go out anywhere, or stay at home for the next 12 months then they are entitled to. When they get on their high horse and think they can demand others do the same is when people turn against them.
    Anyone demanding anything of anyone is silly, but for the large part, specifically this conversation here, that is not what is happening. Do you feel the small inconvenience of wearing a mask is honestly not worth potentially saving a life, or reducing the spread of the very contagious disease?

    I am not a proponent at all at staying in lockdowns, and I agree we need to get on with life. But, a caveat for that being that we don't just abandon social distancing, and we take some simple measures as people to reduce any further harm happening to human life, regardless of if it will affect us personally or not. Put aside the radical people who you have heard "demands" from, do you really hear that as an unreasonable request ?

  15. #1530
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    58, I will ask a simple question. So if you unknowingly pass on the virus to another "seemingly" healthy person, who unknowingly passes it on to a person who gets sick, and perhaps passes it on to others...and one or more of them gets really sick or even dies, is that sort of covering the "I did enough" label?

    Sure, we may pass on the virus to others, and that's not a crime, though if it was a known and one did not exercise responsibility, it would be extremely stupid and selfish. But if in doubt, I'd take precautions, to protect myself and others.

    We have not had a new case in July, but I still see loads of precautionary activity. Masks are not worn by everyone, but are in large numbers. Distancing is still very relevant.

    I know this will annoy some, but it's like the ole saying. "you can pay me now or pay me later." I don't think you can leave it to chance when you are talking about community.
    Thatís a tough one CB, but i donít think anybody with the virus that has no idea they have it is responsible for someoneís death.
    The only way to prevent that is:
    A. Get tested daily
    B. Never go around anyone ( masks donít guarantee you wonít spread the virus)

    We are all responsible to wear a mask, and social distance from people who are vulnerable but if you are an advance age, and have underlying conditions have to quarantine from anybody who isnít tested period. They are at fault if they donít follow the guidelines, itís their life.


    People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

    -Chronic kidney disease

    -COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
    Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant

    -Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)

    -Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies

    -Sickle cell disease

    - Type 2 diabetes mellitus

    COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, people with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

    - Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
    -Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
    -Cystic fibrosis
    -Hypertension or high blood pressure
    Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
    -Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
    -Liver disease
    -Pregnancy
    -Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
    -Smoking
    -Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
    -Type 1 diabetes mellitus
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-11-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •