Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

This is the week that everyone is thinking it'll erupt with an influx of patients.

For good measures, our hospital performs around 50 surgical cases a day.

Today there are 18.

Luckily we have open beds (for now) and could be considered 'ready' for a mass influx.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    This is the week that everyone is thinking it'll erupt with an influx of patients.

For good measures, our hospital performs around 50 surgical cases a day.

Today there are 18.

Luckily we have open beds (for now) and could be considered 'ready' for a mass influx.
    Hang in there pal! Prepare for the worst. Then it's one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. That's all you can do. This is a different type of war, and the medical folks of the world are the front line, the solution researchers, and the eventual saviours.

Thx CDB

Peerless I don't know what you do at your hospital but you're basically the front line soldiers of this crisis. I don't recall where I saw it but some hospitals have such a shortage of masks that their employees had been asked to use the same mask for the entire week. Evidently they write right on it the date it was received and their name or something. These are disposable paper masks.

Are you seeing this kind of shortage where you're at?
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Thx CDB

Peerless I don't know what you do at your hospital but you're basically the front line soldiers of this crisis. I don't recall where I saw it but some hospitals have such a shortage of masks that their employees had been asked to use the same mask for the entire week. Evidently they write right on it the date it was received and their name or something. These are disposable paper masks.

I work as a critical care RN floating between the trauma center, ICU's, and PACU. Luckily I'm in the PACU today (slow day with only 18 surgical cases) so I can hop on here from time to time...

And yes, that is correct. As for masks - if a patient is on rule out or positive Covid-19 - we are given three N95's that we're supposed to rotate in and out of use.

Everyone else in the hospital needs a regular mask / face shield for patient care. Those regular masks are supposed to be used as long as possible, along with the face shields. People are literally bleaching their face shields to clean then.

It is what it is...It's a fluid situation and each day something always seems to change...

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Thx CDB

I work as a critical care RN floating between the trauma center, ICU's, and PACU. Luckily I'm in the PACU today (slow day with only 18 surgical cases) so I can hop on here from time to time...

And yes, that is correct. As for masks - if a patient is on rule out or positive Covid-19 - we are given three N95's that we're supposed to rotate in and out of use.

Everyone else in the hospital needs a regular mask / face shield for patient care. Those regular masks are supposed to be used as long as possible, along with the face shields. People are literally bleaching their face shields to clean then.

It is what it is...It's a fluid situation and each day something always seems to change...
    I do believe in the human spirit, our thirst to find solutions, even if quick and dirty ones, and our survival skills. I think we forget how intelligent this race is. So pal, it may not be perfect, but good is not a bad next option. In these times, it's like the eye test, this one or this one? Small, quick decisions add up. And if we keep picking the better one, we move ahead faster and more in harmony, because we also share whatever we learn.

Lets go "TEAM"!!!

Brent, are they bringing back retired folks or others to staff up?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Brent, are they bringing back retired folks or others to staff up?
    Nothing here.... But I've read that other institutions have reached out in that capacity.

In my small, very rural neck of the woods...we now have several confirmed cases... which the government won’t post...except very generally by very large region. They say to protect privacy..

Sadly. This leads to people out here acting like “it’ll never happen to us”
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Nothing here.... But I've read that other institutions have reached out in that capacity.
    Keep us updated on your situation please.

Day 1 of the lockdown.
    Well stocked with provisions.
    Would preferably like to do one more big shop within the week and then the five of us & the three dogs will be well set for forty nights and forty days in Noah's Ark if need be.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Day 1 of the lockdown.
    Well stocked with provisions.
    Would preferably like to do one more big shop within the week and then the five of us & the three dogs will be well set for forty nights and forty days in Noah's Ark if need be.
    One day at a time J. You will wake up each day one day closer to the end of this, and you will surprise yourself with your resilience and strength. It will be more natural than maybe thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    One day at a time J. You will wake up each day one day closer to the end of this, and you will surprise yourself with your resilience and strength. It will be more natural than maybe thought.

Absolutely!
    Thanks pal

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

NY's Coumo is preparing for the wave that is to come. He has been adamant about his need for respirators. He said that 30,000 more are required quickly. He seems to be not only on the leading edge of this coming threat, but acutely aware of their needs. I also believe that how NY handles this crisis will be a model for other regions, especially the most taxed in terms of the virus potential. Therefore it will be a major victory if they do the right things and get the support they need.

I have to believe that with business in a logjam, that someone can manufacture them more quickly, with resourcing support. This is when we will hopefully see something really positive and even dynamic happen....I believe in the power of wise, determined and hard working people, coming together, with the same goal!

Lets make "teamwork" and "innovation" strong household names again!!

And though I understand that this battle has not, and will not treat all of us well, it MAY be the impetus for long term harmony within our communities, small and big. Common purpose. Appreciation for what we have. Understanding for one another, here and there.

Bless all....

I heard a new stat that is quite meaningful in terms of the way to assess the impact of this virus. I believe it was a US stat, but correct me if I am wrong. That 13% of those infected need some form of hospitalization. This is not a mortality rate, but a factor in the way it affects us, and with regard to hospital needs....beds, equipment, etc.

If accurate, that means 1 of 8 need to visit the hospital. Significant number! That alone emphasizes the need to even "overreact" with the way we do those things we are asked to do. And in that 13% were many people in a younger age group. Not just the elderly.

As someone said, if we freeze our movement for a couple of weeks, we could halt this thing. Two weeks would have sounded radical to some, not long ago....but I believe we would now accept that logic, if we could have a restart.

Moving forward....we know what we have to do. As I mention so often, lets take our medicine in one form or another.