Page 30 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    By the time it's possible there probably won't be as big of an issue. Testing 7.8 billion people (which is essentially what you're describing) isn't feasible even if they had enough tests. So NOT possible.
    OK....lets put it another way. The more folks are tested, with whatever capability, the better. South Korea was doing thousands of tests per day (I heard up to 15,000), so though not perfect, it was the right approach given they somehow had a large supply and a decent process...early. With such a high rate of folks asymptomatic, it tells me that the spread rate is extremely worrisome, especially if locales are not tightening down rules of engagement.

You are correct....not 100% feasible, not now...but the goal in my opinion is to get as close to that mark as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    That is quite a hefty fine. I know we still typically walk the dogs, but aside from that are pretty much homebodies. I'm sure that may be stopped at some point as well. Right now I still go into work but know they may change that ...

One of my co-workers was tested a week or two ago. It surprised me since there was so much talk regarding the lack of tests, Hers came back negative.
    Our governor made it clear that people can still go for walks, keeping a safe distance from others. It helps with "cabin fever".

Abbot (hubby used to work for them) has come up with a new test for the virus that gives results within 5-15 minutes instead of days.

Oldest daughter said today that there are benefits to living with a germaphobe.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Our governor made it clear that people can still go for walks, keeping a safe distance from others. It helps with "cabin fever".

Abbot (hubby used to work for them) has come up with a new test for the virus that gives results within 5-15 minutes instead of days.

Oldest daughter said today that there are benefits to living with a germaphobe.
    That's great.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

No plan is perfect but I like the wage subsidy program that is being rolled out here, paying 75% subsidy on wages for any Canadian company that has seen their revenues drop by at least 30% due to the coronavirus. Companies are asked to rehire workers laid off over the last few weeks and to ensure all money goes to the employees. Wages are capped at $847 per week.

Hopefully this will work very well, but one never knows if more will have to be done.

One not so new concern I have is that some healthcare workers are, rightfully so, speaking out about the risk they are having to take. This is a very difficult situation. And I really don't think that being called a hero helps lessen the fear they have, although it is completely deserved as a label. BUT if many of them get sick, or decide they've had enough, it will further stress the situation. It must be handled with utmost priority and respect.

Collectively they are one of the few real "hole plugging" aspects of this pandemic, and I mean that in the most serious/appreciative of ways, and without their amazing loyalty, there would be significant breaches of the wall that protects us.

Much respect for Mr Robert Kraft and his generous donation of much needed masks. I hope to see more step up who are in a position to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    OK....lets put it another way. The more folks are tested, with whatever capability, the better. South Korea was doing thousands of tests per day (I heard up to 15,000), so though not perfect, it was the right approach given they somehow had a large supply and a decent process...early. With such a high rate of folks asymptomatic, it tells me that the spread rate is extremely worrisome, especially if locales are not tightening down rules of engagement.

You are correct....not 100% feasible, not now...but the goal in my opinion is to get as close to that mark as you can.
    The spread rate likely isn't nearly as high as the media and hysteria are making it out to be. The spread rate is high when you're in close quarters with someone who has it (like a nursing home) but the actual spread rate won't be what they're modelling.

Some models have the infection rate at 70% which is absolutely insane. No pandemic has ever been that high. And the worst pandemic (the 1918 Flu) where between 20-50 million people died worldwide, had an infection rate of around 30%. Models cause the hysteria.

Since you're boasting about Canada lets talk about some of our negatives in this with modelling:
    -Projected infection rate of 70%, no chance.
    -The models have 19% of people infected being hospitalized. The actual number (According to Dr. Tam) is 6%
    -The models have 25% of the 19% that are hospitalized will end up in ICU. The actual numbers right now are just 2% of the 6% ending up in the ICU.
    -And of course the fatality rate they'e saying 2.5%, it's currently 1% in Canada.

All of these are what Canadian models are currently spitting out, but they're setting the parameters to get these results.

Now don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a serious virus, especially to the vulnerable population. But this isn't going to be the end of life on earth, it's going to end up somewhere between the 1968 flu (1 million died worldwide) or the Avian Flu outbreak from 1956-1958 where approximately 2 million people died worldwide.

My final point, with everything shutting down, people losing their jobs, and people having their businesses going under, one has to wonder what the coming months will look like as far as mental health issues, and suicide rates? And that's going to be a big question when this is all over: was the cure worse than the disease?
    Last edited by Butler By'Note; 04-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Much respect for Mr Robert Kraft and his generous donation of much needed masks. I hope to see more step up who are in a position to do so.
    Must give credit where credit is due. I hope many of the wealthy folks do their part. Then again, we all have a part, some big, some not so big. But the goal should be the same. A common goal usually provides for the shortest distance to success.

FTR.....I love Canada. Not surprising. I am Canadian. I also give it credit when credit is due. Like a Canadian Wage Subsidy Program, which is our form of stimulus package, or the fact we have a local research team that may produce a treatment soon for this ugly virus. That's not boasting. It's fact and it is information that may be relevant. We could all benefit by such research, no matter the place of expertise.

I guess I have been boasting about South Korea of late, as well as many folks in The US, and in other parts of the world. When credit is due. This is not a time to boast, rather present facts and hopefully good news. That should be the objective for us all. For the better part, this is a world wide community, and whatever one part does positively, it may help another. It may even save many lives of folks worldwide. We're in this together, and we can learn from one another.

And as an aside, I want a world where my daughter and her American partner can see each other again....soon. In the meantime we will do our weekly FaceTime'ing with him. Better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Since you're boasting about Canada
    Please elaborate. If It's the wage subsidy and the local research initiative, that would hardly be boasting.

For to make that comment (towards me), others may read and assume that's accurate, without much in the way of facts.

As I say above, I have boasted about South Korea. I have mentioned the efforts of Americans. And I will definitely relate anything that is local to me, if it is relevant....just as others here are certainly allowed and almost expected to talk about things going on in their areas of residence. That all makes sense, whether it be positive (boastful???) or not so positive. This is sharing of information. This is when we grow, by learning from one another. And if any person here said something good about what is happening in their town, city, state or country, I would not respond to them, saying they are boasting.

Finally, I have a great amount of empathy for anyone who gets quite sick or worse, dies, including their family/friends. Anywhere. So for me to carefully "boast" sounds trashy. And I want folks here to know that. If I said anything that was like that, I want to apologize. But this is not a good time to bring each other down. It is a worrisome, unchartered period, that may last a lot longer than some believe. The "hysteria" can be detrimental to the cause, but it is not to be ignored completely, if you know anything about the inside of hospitals these days, the terrible nature of this type of death, the anguish of losing loved ones with sometimes little or no ability to see them, and yes, the fear that your loved ones, on the line of defense, may be infected...maybe not today or tomorrow, maybe months from now. That fear does not entirely subside.

So to be honest, I read the remainder of the post, and normally I would ask questions about some of it, but I lost interest thinking about how poorly it makes me look, if I was boasting. The reason I did not reply right away was because I was hoping you might reconsider your description.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Great efforts by many NFL owners
    https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1241071573005565952?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I wish my mom would stay home. Shes 68 and has congestive heart failure. Shes still going to work. Ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Dang, I'd worry too. I read somewhere that the worst form of Coronavirus causes really bad congestion, and that's what gets people who are at risk. My sister has Lupus, and she's an upper respiratory therapist of all things. She has to work, because she's the head of her department. Fortunately, Ohio is on super quarantine protocol, and there are no cases in our county right now.
    How are they doing?

Spice, I hope your sister is able to get her meds.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Please elaborate. If It's the wage subsidy and the local research initiative, that would hardly be boasting.

For to make that comment (towards me), others may read and assume that's accurate, without much in the way of facts.

As I say above, I have boasted about South Korea. I have mentioned the efforts of Americans. And I will definitely relate anything that is local to me, if it is relevant....just as others here are certainly allowed and almost expected to talk about things going on in their areas of residence. That all makes sense, whether it be positive (boastful???) or not so positive. This is sharing of information. This is when we grow, by learning from one another. And if any person here said something good about what is happening in their town, city, state or country, I would not respond to them, saying they are boasting.

Finally, I have a great amount of empathy for anyone who gets quite sick or worse, dies, including their family/friends. Anywhere. So for me to carefully "boast" sounds trashy. And I want folks here to know that. If I said anything that was like that, I want to apologize. But this is not a good time to bring each other down. It is a worrisome, unchartered period, that may last a lot longer than some believe. The "hysteria" can be detrimental to the cause, but it is not to be ignored completely, if you know anything about the inside of hospitals these days, the terrible nature of this type of death, the anguish of losing loved ones with sometimes little or no ability to see them, and yes, the fear that your loved ones, on the line of defense, may be infected...maybe not today or tomorrow, maybe months from now. That fear does not entirely subside.

So to be honest, I read the remainder of the post, and normally I would ask questions about some of it, but I lost interest thinking about how poorly it makes me look, if I was boasting. The reason I did not reply right away was because I was hoping you might reconsider your description.
    You seem stuck on the word boast....it’s not necessarily negative as you seem to think..

verb (used without object)

to speak with exaggeration and excessive pride, especially about oneself.
    to speak with pride

verb (used with object)
    to speak of with excessive pride or vanity:
    to be proud in the possession of:

noun
    a thing boasted of; a cause for pride:
    exaggerated or objectionable speech; bragging:
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

As EddieMac pointed out, the word boast here means speaking with pride about. Boasting isn't a bad thing. I'm going to boast to everyone about my son the moment he's born.

If I were going to be negative I would have used the word smug, which I didn't because I wasn't trying to paint what you were saying as a negative.

BTW to get back to the comment from a few days ago about more testing, I talked to my friend who's the higher up in the Winnipeg hospital and asked him about testing. He was honest with me, the reason that there isn't more testing is because for every 10 tests they did, they averaged two positive tests. So it was considered wasteful to do so many tests to prove that people with no symptoms were negative when they were tested.