Page 105 of 152 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2276

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #1561
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,212
    Sorry Rastic, I'll try it again -

    Imagine trying to discredit an expert in their field and areas of study, just because individuals with zero experience disagrees with them.

    Laughable.

  2. #1562
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Sorry Rastic, I'll try it again -

    Imagine trying to discredit an expert in their field and areas of study, just because individuals with zero experience disagrees with them.

    Laughable.
    I can't touch this without making a political statement so I'll just say I agree wholeheartedly!

    I may not be a virologist, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.


  3. #1563
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Sorry Rastic, I'll try it again -

    Imagine trying to discredit an expert in their field and areas of study, just because individuals with zero experience disagrees with them.

    Laughable.
    Unfortunately in some centers discrediting has become the new "learning" model. In other words, you choose what you want to believe and stick with it, no matter how valid.

    A serious downside, if this continues, and if allowed to infiltrate the youth, is that people will learn less. They will choose what they want to believe rather than expand and grow naturally. There is a huge difference between critical thinking and disregarding fact. The former tend to process facts better, and to challenge what needs to be challenged. The latter just get lazy and stubborn, and eventually less wise.

  4. #1564
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless;5891931[B
    ]Sorry Rastic, I'll try it again[/B] -

    Imagine trying to discredit an expert in their field and areas of study, just because individuals with zero experience disagrees with them.

    Laughable.
    No worries.

  5. #1565
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I would guess that your question is an indication that the cdc and Fauci aren’t doing enough to disseminate helpful information beyond social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing hands.

    Even if it’s anecdotal evidence they should emphasize anything that has a reasonable chance of helping.
    I wish all of our leaders (medical and community) would maybe take one of their daily pressers and just help people understand how they can do simple things to strengthen their immune system. As an essential worker I educated myself on it. After discussing the things I learned with people I work with it amazed me how many people did not know all the factors involved in building a strong immune system.

    This virus will wreck some people 6 feet under and leave some people with no symptoms....maybe we should start with the immune system. I see daily pressers about masks and social distancing but have not seen any of my leaders (community or medical) try spread information about immune system. Considering how many e-mails I get weekly from my leaders, how many posts I see on social media weekly from leaders all over the USA it amazes me the lack of effort being put into helping people improve their immune system...specially considering how many people I talked to in person who did not know much beyond Vit C.

    If I were a mayor or even more local leader I would be telling people in my area to get their Vit D checked based on what I have seen. I do know enough people have seen to large amount of data correlations of low Vit D to the worse cases of Covid-19 that studies have been funded and started. Least one hospital I know of has started to treat people in the hospital with Vit D. Search Covid19 and Vit D on youtube. If interested dig more about it. It will take over a year for the scientific process to do its thing but the data at this point is pretty impressive.

    Trying not to inflame the thread any but I will just say I am not happy with the performance of any of our leaders (community or medical) considering we are almost finished with month 4 of this since we decided it was a huge deal.

  6. #1566
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I wish all of our leaders (medical and community) would maybe take one of their daily pressers and just help people understand how they can do simple things to strengthen their immune system. As an essential worker I educated myself on it. After discussing the things I learned with people I work with it amazed me how many people did not know all the factors involved in building a strong immune system.

    This virus will wreck some people 6 feet under and leave some people with no symptoms....maybe we should start with the immune system. I see daily pressers about masks and social distancing but have not seen any of my leaders (community or medical) try spread information about immune system. Considering how many e-mails I get weekly from my leaders, how many posts I see on social media weekly from leaders all over the USA it amazes me the lack of effort being put into helping people improve their immune system...specially considering how many people I talked to in person who did not know much beyond Vit C.

    If I were a mayor or even more local leader I would be telling people in my area to get their Vit D checked based on what I have seen. I do know enough people have seen to large amount of data correlations of low Vit D to the worse cases of Covid-19 that studies have been funded and started. Least one hospital I know of has started to treat people in the hospital with Vit D. Search Covid19 and Vit D on youtube. If interested dig more about it. It will take over a year for the scientific process to do its thing but the data at this point is pretty impressive.

    Trying not to inflame the thread any but I will just say I am not happy with the performance of any of our leaders (community or medical) considering we are almost finished with month 4 of this since we decided it was a huge deal.
    Again, and this is not a shot at you, but you're living in fairyland. People are aware that being unhealthy is not a positive thing, people know smoking, drinking, overconsumption of junk food, etc. leads to a poor health outcome, people on mass just do not care, and won't act on it anyway. You are right, 100%, but with an imminent risk it is unrealistic to think someone could turn their health around, going from the "at risk" category, to being "healthy". Also, with the disease being so much harder to manage for some countries like America due to a lack of compliance being masqueraded in the facade of "freedom", if you can't get half the population to simply put on a mask, good luck getting them to change a lifetime of negative lifestyle habits around nutrition and exercise. You're thinking is in the right place, you are 100% correct, but it's not a realistic solution to slowing this thing down in the short-term.

  7. #1567
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,052
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Again, and this is not a shot at you, but you're living in fairyland. People are aware that being unhealthy is not a positive thing, people know smoking, drinking, overconsumption of junk food, etc. leads to a poor health outcome, people on mass just do not care, and won't act on it anyway. You are right, 100%, but with an imminent risk it is unrealistic to think someone could turn their health around, going from the "at risk" category, to being "healthy". Also, with the disease being so much harder to manage for some countries like America due to a lack of compliance being masqueraded in the facade of "freedom", if you can't get half the population to simply put on a mask, good luck getting them to change a lifetime of negative lifestyle habits around nutrition and exercise. You're thinking is in the right place, you are 100% correct, but it's not a realistic solution to slowing this thing down in the short-term.
    I know it sounds selfish, but all we can do is take of ourselves and those who are in our circle. Can’t worry about the bad habits (including not wearing masks or social distancing).

  8. #1568
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,390
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I know it sounds selfish, but all we can do is take of ourselves and those who are in our circle. Can’t worry about the bad habits (including not wearing masks or social distancing).
    That is not what I am saying. I think living life in that manner in general is a great approach, especially for your mental health. However in an unprecedented pandemic like this I do think individual actions can contribute to the greater good, and if each individual participates in the recommended social distancing and wearing a mask, it will fast track whatever solution you are hoping for. Until then if you don't want to participate in that, don't complain when things are not getting better, life is not going back to pre-covid conditions, life continues to be threatened, etc. If we all just do our small part, everything will go back to normal quicker, and the dramatic effects on human life in the process will be reduced. As per the medical communities advice, not my original thoughts or opinions.

  9. #1569
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,052
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    That is not what I am saying. I think living life in that manner in general is a great approach, especially for your mental health. However in an unprecedented pandemic like this I do think individual actions can contribute to the greater good, and if each individual participates in the recommended social distancing and wearing a mask, it will fast track whatever solution you are hoping for. Until then if you don't want to participate in that, don't complain when things are not getting better, life is not going back to pre-covid conditions, life continues to be threatened, etc. If we all just do our small part, everything will go back to normal quicker, and the dramatic effects on human life in the process will be reduced. As per the medical communities advice, not my original thoughts or opinions.
    Yeah I agree, but unfortunately we can only do our part. Their is always a pct. of the population who isn’t gonna follow rules, laws, guidelines etc.
    We see it right now and those of us who did what we’ve been asked will pay. Kinda like those of us who work and pay taxes. Is what it is.

  10. #1570
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Again, and this is not a shot at you, but you're living in fairyland. People are aware that being unhealthy is not a positive thing, people know smoking, drinking, overconsumption of junk food, etc. leads to a poor health outcome, people on mass just do not care, and won't act on it anyway. You are right, 100%, but with an imminent risk it is unrealistic to think someone could turn their health around, going from the "at risk" category, to being "healthy". Also, with the disease being so much harder to manage for some countries like America due to a lack of compliance being masqueraded in the facade of "freedom", if you can't get half the population to simply put on a mask, good luck getting them to change a lifetime of negative lifestyle habits around nutrition and exercise. You're thinking is in the right place, you are 100% correct, but it's not a realistic solution to slowing this thing down in the short-term.

    My complaint was with the effort our leaders are showing in this ... one of the worst disasters of my life time.

    You do not seem to understand the difference between general health and immune system health...which is my point here...I have had discussions with many people who do not know the difference.

    There are examples of people who have good general health but have issues with Covid19 and when questioned they were living a lifestyle the week(s) leading up to the infection which puts stress on the immune system.

    It does not take much effort to go from low levels of Vit D to sufficient levels.

  11. #1571
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    My complaint was with the effort our leaders are showing in this ... one of the worst disasters of my life time.

    You do not seem to understand the difference between general health and immune system health...which is my point here...I have had discussions with many people who do not know the difference.

    There are examples of people who have good general health but have issues with Covid19 and when questioned they were living a lifestyle the week(s) leading up to the infection which puts stress on the immune system.

    It does not take much effort to go from low levels of Vit D to sufficient levels.
    What are you talking about ? In what way do I not understand ? Please expand on the differences between "general health" and "immune system health" ? A simple Google search and looking through the Harvard education page on the matter lists the following as areas which contribute to "immune system health":

    - Don't smoke.
    - Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
    - Exercise regularly.
    - Maintain a healthy weight.
    - If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
    - Get adequate sleep.
    - Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
    - Try to minimize stress.

    I wouldn't say any of those things would also not be listed in a "general health" category, and I think most medical fields would say that to be considered generally healthy that would entail having a healthy immune system, no ? So I don't understand what you are talking about with that comment ? Fill me in if I am apparently missing something.

    Also, my point wasn't around the difference between "general health" and "immune system health", whatever that even is, it was around you thinking that you will convince people to change their lifestyle choices regardless of what politicians say. When you consider the push back from people regarding the advice on social distancing and wearing a mask, you are dreaming if you think what you are making "complaint" about will make any difference to what is going on. If it was actioned across the board yes, you would be right like I said, I do agree with you. But so would social distancing and wearing a face mask, but those much easier directions are even met with hostility. Have fun telling people not to smoke, don't drink alcohol, to exercise, or any of the other health criteria for having a healthy immune system Harvard advocate which I have posted above, fairyland.

  12. #1572
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,636
    Some pretty sophisticated virus "detective" tools in Canada (not sure where else) combining medical researchers and supercomputers to learn more about the virus, its source, how it is tracking and so on. Half of the investment has to do with keeping tabs on the virus as it spreads, look for any changes it undergoes, and map its pathway across the country....the other half is to look at genetic structures of the patients who get infected trying to understand why some only get mild symptoms and others die.

    This powerful approach will help answer many questions, and further improve our ability to manage any future outbreaks. Like most countries, we are miles and miles ahead of where we were when covid-19 began its existence. Get a treatment and a vaccine and we're in great shape.

  13. #1573
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    What are you talking about ? In what way do I not understand ? Please expand on the differences between "general health" and "immune system health" ? A simple Google search and looking through the Harvard education page on the matter lists the following as areas which contribute to "immune system health":

    - Don't smoke.
    - Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
    - Exercise regularly.
    - Maintain a healthy weight.
    - If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
    - Get adequate sleep.
    - Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
    - Try to minimize stress.

    I wouldn't say any of those things would also not be listed in a "general health" category, and I think most medical fields would say that to be considered generally healthy that would entail having a healthy immune system, no ? So I don't understand what you are talking about with that comment ? Fill me in if I am apparently missing something.

    Also, my point wasn't around the difference between "general health" and "immune system health", whatever that even is, it was around you thinking that you will convince people to change their lifestyle choices regardless of what politicians say. When you consider the push back from people regarding the advice on social distancing and wearing a mask, you are dreaming if you think what you are making "complaint" about will make any difference to what is going on. If it was actioned across the board yes, you would be right like I said, I do agree with you. But so would social distancing and wearing a face mask, but those much easier directions are even met with hostility. Have fun telling people not to smoke, don't drink alcohol, to exercise, or any of the other health criteria for having a healthy immune system Harvard advocate which I have posted above, fairyland.
    From my perspective this "pandemic" has a lot of people listening and doing things they would not have done in Feb.

    You seem to reference people pushing back against masks and social distancing as your conclusion to "fairyland". I can speak for the 3 major areas I travel to (LA, Orange County and San Diego) and state well over half the people outside of their home have masks on. I think I am actually understating the number of people by saying well over half but I have not collected the data so just saying something I am comfortable is true.

    Yes people are pushing back but from what I been seeing as a "essential worker" who has been in the public the whole time...people pushing back are the outliers...not the norm. There seems to be a lot of people who take the Covid19 threat seriously enough to make some changes.

    If you want to see things differently that is totally up to you to have that opinion.

  14. #1574
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,677
    Well, my dad and step-mother have it. I was really hoping that wouldn’t happen, but I think they got to a point where they decided they were going to “live life.”
    My dad is 72, has type 2 diabetes and lymphoma.
    Anyway, my step-mom has had a fever and a cough for a week now and my dad has had mild symptoms. He got tested for covid because he has a cataract procedure scheduled next week. I believe their plan is to just quarantine and take vitamins.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 07-14-2020 at 02:03 PM.

  15. #1575
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well, my dad and step-mother have it. I was really hoping that wouldn’t happen, but I think they got to a point where they decided they were going to “live life.”
    My dad is 72, has type 2 diabetes and lymphoma.
    Anyway, my step-mom has had a fever and a cough for a week now and my dad has had mild symptoms. He got tested for covid because he has a cataract procedure scheduled next week. I believe their plan is to just quarantine and take vitamins.
    I hope they get through it quickly and without complications.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •