Page 13 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 1534

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I think when all of this started they could have put sensible measures in place for elderly people (over 70's) and people with serious health problems in terms of keeping them off work, restricting visitors to care homes, etc...............

    When we hear stats such as 96.5 per cent will recover without needing medical treatment and face 48 hours of flu like symtoms then recover, and then we get videos online from people who say they contracted it and 2-3 days later they were fine it just makes a mockery of all this over-reaction.

    I have heard comparisions to world war 2, to gain some perspective around 8000 people worldwide have died of this virus (far less then the combination of flu/colds/sickness bugs during the same time) whereas 75 million died in WW2......... people have lost all perspective and world leaders and the media have played into the hands of modern day people who are constantly on edge.

    Let me put it this way. When this passes in a few months, and it will, hundreds of thousands of people across the world will have lost their jobs, businesses, and homes. Mental health will see a serious spike and lead to a huge amount of suicides. Without social interaction for an extended amount of time many people will suffer serious depression.

    People have no life in terms of every avenue of enjoyment being shut down.

    Economies are being crippled which will last long after this virus is gone.

    So when these leaders come out and make statements that ruin hundreds of thousands of lifes for 'precautions' I find it irresponsible and absolutely ridiculous.

    Plus I went to the supermarkets today and because of these idiots I'm talking about who panic buy there were alot of elderly people who couldn't get groceries and were wandering about confused. Alot of these people without support will be in trouble.

    Some people are acting like this is the end of the world and is going to wipe out civilization with these measures of shutting down life. It is ridiculous and embarassing. They have made this a million times worse for a million times more people. Shame on people supporting this madness.
    I would much rather we overreact than lose the fight. I do blame some leaders for acting like it was a non event, because their inaction has caused major issues in some places.

    I am not hear to argue, but if anyone thinks we are seriously overreacting (and I leave certain media out of this, because they are like that regardless of situations) I do not understand. Check the stats, the mortality rates, the mutation capability of this incurable illness as we know it, the impact it will have as it overburdens our hospitals, which will impact all those who needed to be attended it, that are not CV related. It's a bad domino effect, so we need to "over react" if that's the definition.

    Manage the problem, subside the flow, test/test/test, work with researchers world wide to find a cure, and see if we can come out of this wiser than we went in. This is possibly just the first of such pandemics to follow. Therefore not only should we learn, but also beg for investment in such diseases going forward.

    Be prepared. Safety first. Take your "medicine" so to speak. Look out for others. All those things we were taught as kids.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-19-2020 at 10:43 AM.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,397
    Ask your self what's more important

    Your net worth, job, 401k, livelihood, convenience at the grocery store etc

    or

    Real human lives?

    The real comparison to WW is in that this crisis effects the entire world. It touches every single person one way or another. Just like WW's do. it's not the death count comparison
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Ask your self what's more important

    Your net worth, job, 401k, livelihood, convenience at the grocery store etc

    or

    Real human lives?

    The real comparison to WW is in that this crisis effects the entire world. It touches every single person one way or another. Just like WW's do. it's not the death count comparison
    Yes.....the difference in most catastrophes, ie. hurricanes, droughts, certain health outbreaks, they are within certain areas/regions, but not worldwide. In those types of events, help is available from all those who are not affected. It is a regional disaster typically. It can be contained to that extent.

    Whereas this could touch every human on this planet, and within months of one another. Therefore you can help others, unless you are well past it. In fact, we are having to restrict folks from entering our areas, leaving us to each do our best, while we work on solutions in research labs, etc.

    Therefore much more like a World War.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    The reason why this is less likely to have a mortality rate any where near the Spanish flu of WW1 isnt because that was more deadly but because weve learned from that pandemic the importance of isolating the sick and social distancing.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,057
    Lots of information from all areas coming out today:

    At a news conference on Thursday, Trump said the drug had been approved as a treatment for COVID-19 and that it had “gone through the approval process.” He later said the FDA is “continuing to study the drug.” FDA commissioner Stephen Hahn said that while chloroquine has been approved for other indications, it would still need to go through clinical trials.
    Whatever happens, hopefully it'll be the benefit of the people needing it.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Lots of information from all areas coming out today:



    Whatever happens, hopefully it'll be the benefit of the people needing it.
    That would be huge.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,919
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Ask your self what's more important

    Your net worth, job, 401k, livelihood, convenience at the grocery store etc

    or

    Real human lives?

    The real comparison to WW is in that this crisis effects the entire world. It touches every single person one way or another. Just like WW's do. it's not the death count comparison
    I think people who lived through WW1 and 2 would find this 'lets shut down the world' measure absolutely ridiculous.

    Going to this extreme is crazy and dangerous and will affect far more lives then this flu virus will. They could put measures in place to protect the most vulnerable without going to this ridiculous length and crippling economies.

    Yes thousands of the most vulnerable will die and that is never good but this happens every single year with many common illnesses that unfortuantly take their lives.

    So yes protect the vulnerable and elderly with sensible measures, yes there will be a number of deaths because that happens every year with every type of illness, but costing so many people their future is crazy.

    I know some follow the media blindly but the lengths they have gone too is madness.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Lots of information from all areas coming out today:



    Whatever happens, hopefully it'll be the benefit of the people needing it.
    If accurate, it's really good news. The issue up til now is that, some cures are looking good, but need a certain wait time for proper testing. I hope this is an accelerated version.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That would be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    If accurate, it's really good news. The issue up til now is that, some cures are looking good, but need a certain wait time for proper testing. I hope this is an accelerated version.
    Very huge.

    Problem is that testing, (proper) testing isn't going to happen overnight, or even next month.

    Other things to consider: Chloroquine is a promising drug for the treatment of COVID 19; but whose toxicity is problematic. This in-vitro study shows that Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic alternative, operates the same way biochemically, is 7.59x more potent, and achieves useful concentrations at a reduced dosing regimen.

    But this drug already requires a prescription. The drug will run out before there's even any being used for the pandemic if people start hoarding it.

    You saw what people did with toilet paper....And that's toilet paper.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    A short list to start with, of:

    THE GOOD NEWS ONCE WE KICK THIS THING

    1) We may not want to be touching or getting real close to many, but we will miss seeing folks, and just saying "hi".
    2) We will be a little smarter about hygiene, and cleanliness.
    3) We will stay home whenever we get a bug of some sort, which will decrease spreading, and maximize the lives of those we love (make that, anyone!)
    4) We might even be more community minded in how we approach life. As in, less hoarding when others are in need.
    5) We will better understand who is a leader and who is not, in all facets of life.
    6) We will look at toilet paper with a newfound respect!
    7) We will cherish our facilities, including workplaces, places of worship, restaurants, gymnasiums, movie theatres, arenas/stadiums, malls...all of them!
    8) We will also cherish the opportunity to travel, when we are ready to do so.
    9) We will listen to the medical folks and the scientists, and all the fact givers.
    10) We will hopefully learn from our experiences.

    more to come

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Very huge.

    Problem is that testing, (proper) testing isn't going to happen overnight, or even next month.

    Other things to consider: Chloroquine is a promising drug for the treatment of COVID 19; but whose toxicity is problematic. This in-vitro study shows that Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic alternative, operates the same way biochemically, is 7.59x more potent, and achieves useful concentrations at a reduced dosing regimen.

    But this drug already requires a prescription. The drug will run out before there's even any being used for the pandemic if people start hoarding it.

    You saw what people did with toilet paper....And that's toilet paper.
    Hydroxychloroquine is what I'm taking for my lupus. First thought I had was, will this help prevent me from getting COVID-19? I don't want to find out. I know it should prevent me from getting malaria. Second thought, while I want something to help people with the virus, I hope it won't make it difficult to get my meds. It's not as strong, so hopefully, I'm safe.


    MD has shut down more things. Gov. Hogan said that there is a website for Marylanders to share good stories. I'm sure other states have that, too. I've also seen apps that connect people who want to help each other. Sometimes social media can be brutal, but at times like this, it can be very positive.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,397
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I think people who lived through WW1 and 2 would find this 'lets shut down the world' measure absolutely ridiculous.

    Going to this extreme is crazy and dangerous and will affect far more lives then this flu virus will. They could put measures in place to protect the most vulnerable without going to this ridiculous length and crippling economies.

    Yes thousands of the most vulnerable will die and that is never good but this happens every single year with many common illnesses that unfortuantly take their lives.

    So yes protect the vulnerable and elderly with sensible measures, yes there will be a number of deaths because that happens every year with every type of illness, but costing so many people their future is crazy.

    I know some follow the media blindly but the lengths they have gone too is madness.
    That's the stance the Italians took early on. Now they admittedly regret it.

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...world-21695050
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,397
    I'm hesitant to post this just because it's a downer but it's just WOW

    This poor family got the virus and it evidently spread between them all. Now they've lost 4 all in the same family

    Hope to have some good positive stories to read in the coming days .........weeks ....months.
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    A short list to start with, of:

    THE GOOD NEWS ONCE WE KICK THIS THING

    1) We may not want to be touching or getting real close to many, but we will miss seeing folks, and just saying "hi".
    2) We will be a little smarter about hygiene, and cleanliness.
    3) We will stay home whenever we get a bug of some sort, which will decrease spreading, and maximize the lives of those we love (make that, anyone!)
    4) We might even be more community minded in how we approach life. As in, less hoarding when others are in need.
    5) We will better understand who is a leader and who is not, in all facets of life.
    6) We will look at toilet paper with a newfound respect!
    7) We will cherish our facilities, including workplaces, places of worship, restaurants, gymnasiums, movie theatres, arenas/stadiums, malls...all of them!
    8) We will also cherish the opportunity to travel, when we are ready to do so.
    9) We will listen to the medical folks and the scientists, and all the fact givers.
    10) We will hopefully learn from our experiences.

    more to come
    I encourage others here to add to my simple list!

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,001
    I am tracking China's results of late, and based on the site I visit it looks like today again, their # of cases is down a little. This is a good trend, even if not a significant decline. I am not tracking too many things, other than overall totals and Canadian and US stats...but it is encouraging to see the initial affected country seemingly controlling things much better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •