Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well, I’m more referring to the likelihood of the virus being in places that are exposed to UV rays all day. I’m not suggesting if it’s on your face it will be dead in 5 minutes. I’m suggesting it will live on hard surfaces in-doors much longer than it will outside exposed to sunlight and UV rays
    When I first heard about the UV rays killing the virus, that's what they were talking about (on people). I should know that you have more sense.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    When I first heard about the UV rays killing the virus, that's what they were talking about (on people). I should know that you have more sense.
    I kind of was already aware of that scientific principle. Years ago i was asking an industrial hygienist what I should do about a sewage loss that had seeped from a crawl space into a personís back yard. The hygienist said ďnothing, the UV rays will kill the bacteria and viruses.Ē He then suggested I tell them to stay off the grass for a couple of days and it would be fine.

The ripple effect of Covid...

In my little area today:

One domestic homicide
    One arson ( to cover up above homicide)
    One unrelated armed standoff...after a domestic
    On suicide..

All likely at least accelerated by the isolation caused by this,,,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Decided not to do a peanut shaped one. It would look more like a lopsided eye mask.

I did make a special one for someone so that her glasses wouldn't fog up. Turned out nice. I had to remember how to work my sewing machine, it's been so long since I last used it.

Odd for them to leave the dog. Hopefully, he found his way home.

I've heard of at least one suicide and that domestic abuse was on the rise. Sad.

I take parts of each day to concentrate on the good. I've stopped reading articles about the hydrochloroquine shortage (I find out Friday if I can get mine refilled) and about certain people. I do want to stay informed, but I need to find the silly dad jokes and cute animal pictures.

The bolded. I don't think that's wrong.
    I try to stay informed, but can only take so much news. My happy place is usually watching silly dog videos, the dad jokes usually help too.

Just seems a lot of bad comes with isolation. Good to keep with the positive!

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    The ripple effect of Covid...

In my little area today:

One domestic homicide
    One arson ( to cover up above homicide)
    One unrelated armed standoff...after a domestic
    On suicide..

All likely at least accelerated by the isolation caused by this,,,
    The long-term fallout from all of this will likely be devastating. How many businesses lost. How many jobs lost. How many homes foreclosed upon. The economy is like an ecosystem...when one part of it breaks, the whole system is disrupted...and they just nuked the whole thing.

I still can't get over going to the grocery store. Everyone wearing gloves and masks, signs everywhere telling people to social distance and stay away, entire aisles completely empty. It feels like we're acting a part in some weird dystopian movie.

Strange times. Be safe everyone.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think this era of the "closed in" society will lead to a multitude of mental issues, including depression, possibly numbers of divorce and abuse. I expect my daughter's patient numbers to rise over the next few months. Relationships have had to adjust to a very abnormal environment, and for sure, individuals may have difficulty with loneliness, isolation, and financial despair. Tough times.

On the other hand, I believe folks will treasure relationships even more. I love the Zoom/FaceTime connections with our kids and friends. I can't recall a time when having a simple get together in whatever format, mattered far more than anything we talked about. But I look forward to each connection.

I hope I am wrong about the initial point. Just because I can't put a face to the topic, does not keep me from feeling empathy. If I think about it for too long, I start picturing folks, and I just can't go there.
    I've been trying to make the effort to call people and reach out more electronically myself, but not the same at all. Still important. I imagine your daughter will be very busy for years.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    The domestics are already happening in my area...

We are rural and People are used to having space...apparently the sunshine, mountains, rivers, and lakes keep marriages alive!
    I think that's a given. And space, lots and lots of space, that helps marriages too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    We had people issued citations for sitting in their cars at the beach. Local sheriffs said you have to stay home "except to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to an essential job." No joke.

This past weekend after reading about a similar incident in PA I decided to call the sheriff's department to check if we were under similar restrictions. I was told the exact opposite from their office - sure, you can go for a drive, be in your car so long as you are not violating the EO about distancing, public places, etc. Now they are saying the exact opposite. I am so frustrated. Either tell us what is or what isn't not both.

I agree with Butler, people will take only so much before a breaking point is reached. In our situation, I feel somewhat fortunate, A) nobody is sick, thank goodness, but B) we live on 2 acres so my kids can go outside regularly, play, get their crazies out and maintain some sense normalcy. We have friends who live in an apartment. No parks are open. All the playgrounds are closed. They are only supposed to leave minimally for anything.

I'm not suggesting I have a better alternative but I think some of this is too much. On my drive I passed a few hiking trails and public parks - along with expected notices the county had officers stationed at the entrances in their vehicles. No offense to LEOs doing their job but if they have to babysit a parking lot, why can't they allow people in to a field to let kids play and run while maintaining distance and protocol?

The mental health and domestic issues this will cause is scary stuff.
    Have to agree with Butler as well. I think in the long run there could be many mental health and domestic issues as well. Very scary. I haven't seen anything too crazy yet, aside from the gunshots that I'm still curious over, just know isolation, unemployment, hoarding by all the panicked public, and the panic over the economy and stock markets are going to do a number on people.

Some people I talk to are very positive and say this is a great time to buy. I think how awesome that they have that attitude... I haven't gotten there yet. I hear others say this is such a great time to travel, there was no one on the flight... yep, not there either. I love the positive people, but I am worried as others or what will become.

You were talking about driving by hiking trails. I would love to have that option. We run the dogs out in the desert all the time, but it's getting to be that time a year... ran across a rattlesnake a couple weeks ago and desert fun is over until winter. Lucky for us, the option to walk the outskirts of the park is still an option, but the playgrounds are finally closed. I honestly couldn't believe they didn't close the playgrounds sooner, but that's me. But at the very least I think people should at least go for a drive or something to get out.... it's important or just enjoy the outdoors if just stepping outside when you can.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

Bill Gates can go pack sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Bill Gates can go pack sand.
    What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I've been trying to make the effort to call people and reach out more electronically myself, but not the same at all. Still important. I imagine your daughter will be very busy for years.
    J....it's not the same, but it's not bad considering. I know it does little good to compare eras, but in my early days, we would have been down to one dial phone and "letters". Then I think of previous generations, who somehow managed to get through awful times, with hardly any communication for months, maybe longer. It's all relative, but I am sure they did not choose that fate. So try to make the most of the communication capability we have. Even MBs and other social media allow for interrelations like never before. Small consolation but it helps me and my family and friends.

I've mentioned before but folks are very creative even in how they communicate in these times, My daughter cooking with her bf (across borders). Both kids playing games with friends. All sorts of good ideas. I look forward to each FaceTime/Zoom, with them and my friends. It's different yes, but I am even happier on these calls than I normally would be. Talk about whatever....it doesn't matter.

And yes, I imagined right from the get go, with this isolation/deprivation, there will be mental health concerns. I do not have to elaborate.

Luckily for me, my wife and I get along so well. We evolved to this I suppose. I never get tired of her. Not sure how she does it, but we have learned a lot about being together over the decades. Pretty simple life. Expectations are reasonable. We know the boundaries I suppose.

The kids are re-inventing her upcoming milestone birthday, which was supposed to include travel...but none of that bothers her. But we are being a little creative in this situation as well, trying to make the most of what was supposed to be. She will be happy with anything, but we are trying to go the extra mile. No excuses, we have time to be imaginative and thoughtful.

I feel for those who are struggling.

Stay positive!

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    This is absolutely insane!! I get that it's something new and people are afraid of it. But, the symptoms are just that of the flu. 120,000 people died last year because of the flu. do we stop living our lives and going to our favorite places because we're afraid of getting the flu?

Social media and news outlets need to stop playing like this is the plague! Yes, you can die from it but you can also die from the flu. I'm no doctor and I don't pretend to play one on TV but it seems to me that this isn't really that serious. The ones that it is affecting the most are the elderly because of their weaker immune systems. Stop living your lives in fear and just live
    Havenít read any responses, so Iím only throwing my 2 cents in.

I agree with the OP.

The whole reaction is a hoax. It seems like someone or some group is conducting a social experiment and is using a fake plague to do it.

The virus itself may be real, but the reaction to it is a joke.

People are losing jobs and businesses are losing customers.

The rest of the world can do what it wants but the United States was not built on the principle that the government gets to take freedom away just because it wants to. Hopefully this nonsense ends soon.

I was making a delivery to a WalMart DC and before I was allowed to check in, some guy takes my temperature and asks me if Iíve been out of the country in last two weeks or if I have a cough. Didnít make any sense since I wasnít even going to go inside the building, unless it to use the restroom. Check-in happens at the gate where all paperwork is signed and I didnít even have to go inside the gate house.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Lets very quickly pull back from Politics....

If you will... to use a now common term... Lets "social distance" ourselves from politics here....

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Haven’t read any responses, so I’m only throwing my 2 cents in.

I agree with the OP.

The whole reaction is a hoax. It seems like someone or some group is conducting a social experiment and is using a fake plague to do it.

The virus itself may be real, but the reaction to it is a joke.

People are losing jobs and businesses are losing customers.

The rest of the world can do what it wants but the United States was not built on the principle that the government gets to take freedom away just because it wants to. Hopefully this nonsense ends soon.

I was making a delivery to a WalMart DC and before I was allowed to check in, some guy takes my temperature and asks me if I’ve been out of the country in last two weeks or if I have a cough. Didn’t make any sense since I wasn’t even going to go inside the building, unless it to use the restroom. Check-in happens at the gate where all paperwork is signed and I didn’t even have to go inside the gate house.
    That is a wild comment. Can you provide evidence that a group is conducting this experiment you hint at? Who are they? The top medical officials? Simple question.

I do not expect anyone to come forward and talk about the virus, on this board, if they've experienced it. But it sure would be valuable to hear. Every time I listen to someone who had a real battle with it, I can only imagine how bad it can be. Luckily many never feel it, or their symptoms are mild. But that is not the case for a reasonably significant portion...and not always older folks.

That's why I will not downplay it, and the effort to contain it. Until there's a cure and a vaccine, I will support the very cautious approach.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I do not expect anyone to come forward and talk about the virus, on this board, if they've experienced it. But it sure would be valuable to hear. Every time I listen to someone who had a real battle with it, I can only imagine how bad it can be. Luckily many never feel it, or their symptoms are mild. But that is not the case for a reasonably significant portion...and not always older folks.

That's why I will not downplay it, and the effort to contain it. Until there's a cure and a vaccine, I will support the very cautious approach.
    I agree with you. I would rather be cautious and alive then be wrong and dead.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I agree with you. I would rather be cautious and alive then be wrong and dead.
    I dunno...I can quote Harley from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man movie....

It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool.

I kid... ya. I am not in the panic mode and really shake my head the those “freaking out” but I also do that at those ignoring any current social norms as well.

It’s balance and common sense,, Very little of which is on display these days..