Page 36 of 88 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 540 of 1320

Thread: Corona virus

  1. #526
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,160
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I dunno...I can quote Harley from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man movie....

    It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool.

    I kid... ya. I am not in the panic mode and really shake my head the those “freaking out” but I also do that at those ignoring any current social norms as well.

    It’s balance and common sense,, Very little of which is on display these days..
    I guess I'm uncool.

    Common sense. I always thought everyone had it, like people are born with it. I know a couple of people that contradict that. Sometimes it's a little scary.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  2. #527
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I guess I'm uncool.

    Common sense. I always thought everyone had it, like people are born with it. I know a couple of people that contradict that. Sometimes it's a little scary.
    It may be a fallacy (on my part), but I sometimes question if there is a shortage of common sense at times, and this goes back a while. And in these times, it's why I do not agree with leaving rules too loose or in the eyes of the beholder. Or with anything much in the way of exceptions. I live in what I would describe as a fortunate "to date" province, though it is not fortunate for anyone who has suffered. But even so, each time I have to go out, I see people who do not seem to be able to calculate 6 feet! Heck, if they recommended just 3 feet, these folks would be rubbing shoulders I suppose.

    Based on your personal situation, you have every right to be concerned about anyone who is even a bit abusive with their lack of caution. But that's not to say that any one of us could not be seriously impacted. The depth and width of this virus are surprising and even confusing at times. But hey, my wife and I have been referred to as "in the age group", and it seems to be a reminder, even though I think of us as "cool"....well at least one of us is, and it might not be me!



    Stay safe everybody!

  3. #528
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    It seems difficult to do, but this Easter will be an important one to maintain distance, in all ways. I will miss seeing the family we have here, but it's a small sacrifice.

  4. #529
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,570
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I do not expect anyone to come forward and talk about the virus, on this board, if they've experienced it. But it sure would be valuable to hear. Every time I listen to someone who had a real battle with it, I can only imagine how bad it can be. Luckily many never feel it, or their symptoms are mild. But that is not the case for a reasonably significant portion...and not always older folks.

    That's why I will not downplay it, and the effort to contain it. Until there's a cure and a vaccine, I will support the very cautious approach.
    I have two friends who have had and are recovering. One is a 25 year old very healthy female who got really sick but didn’t need hospitalization. She’s at the end of two weeks and is doing a lot better.
    The other is a 40 year old lady who is positive but at home quarantined and not really showing any symptoms. She probably got it from the younger who brought it back from DC.

  5. #530
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I have two friends who have had and are recovering. One is a 25 year old very healthy female who got really sick but didn’t need hospitalization. She’s at the end of two weeks and is doing a lot better.
    The other is a 40 year old lady who is positive but at home quarantined and not really showing any symptoms. She probably got it from the younger who brought it back from DC.
    Thx for that! I think it makes it more real when we know someone who has it, or if it's one of us, if we talk about the experience.....albeit, there are many types of experience that are possible.

  6. #531
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,371
    Peerless

    How are things where you're working?
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  7. #532
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Peerless

    How are things where you're working?
    Good question...I was thinking the same. Plus we care about our guy.

    Brent, you ok?

  8. #533
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Peerless

    How are things where you're working?
    I was worried about him, but noticed he's been on. Just hasn't posted. Hopefully he's doing well.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  9. #534
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I've been trying to make the effort to call people and reach out more electronically myself, but not the same at all. Still important. I imagine your daughter will be very busy for years.



    I think that's a given. And space, lots and lots of space, that helps marriages too...



    Have to agree with Butler as well. I think in the long run there could be many mental health and domestic issues as well. Very scary. I haven't seen anything too crazy yet, aside from the gunshots that I'm still curious over, just know isolation, unemployment, hoarding by all the panicked public, and the panic over the economy and stock markets are going to do a number on people.

    Some people I talk to are very positive and say this is a great time to buy. I think how awesome that they have that attitude... I haven't gotten there yet. I hear others say this is such a great time to travel, there was no one on the flight... yep, not there either. I love the positive people, but I am worried as others or what will become.

    You were talking about driving by hiking trails. I would love to have that option. We run the dogs out in the desert all the time, but it's getting to be that time a year... ran across a rattlesnake a couple weeks ago and desert fun is over until winter. Lucky for us, the option to walk the outskirts of the park is still an option, but the playgrounds are finally closed. I honestly couldn't believe they didn't close the playgrounds sooner, but that's me. But at the very least I think people should at least go for a drive or something to get out.... it's important or just enjoy the outdoors if just stepping outside when you can.
    In a neighborhood just a few blocks from us, a family got into an argument and a teenager stabbed his father. We don’t know if there were underlying issues with the father and son, but there’s never been an incident like that in that neighborhood. I imagine we’ll read about more such incidents.

  10. #535
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,958
    This crisis has brought out the best in lots of people, and sadly the worst in others. Crisis has a way of awakening and exposing such things.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  11. #536
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    This is a nit, but be careful with some of the click and collect services, primarily in the grocery world. Maybe it's just where I live. We decided to reduce the outings and elect to order groceries online, but at al much later date. We had a 9 - 9:30 pm slot. When I get there, there's no one around so I was a bit concerned. I called and told them I was waiting outside, and it became clear that we had no order. Turns out the store hours did not even align with the pick up slot. The person in the store could not help us, and we are stuck with an 800 number...on Easter.

    Well, lucky we got ample food supply, because you do not go shopping on Easter. And lucky we do not have anyone coming over, because we would have been missing a couple of things. But imagine someone who really needed the supplies.

    I get that there are glitches, but 1) the grocery business is as strong as any right now, so staff for it, and 2) if there are glitches, be customer friendly about it. We're hearing that others have had problems as well, and are not getting breaks in line, which is not fair. Start over??

    Hey, it's not easy, especially for businesses that are trying to change on the fly. And I appreciate the extra services. But you have to do better than..."too bad".

    Haha...but unlike my wife, I am going to talk to someone about their service issue, and at least get them to consider making notes and fixing things, for others not to fall into the same trap. What ticked me more was that the store folks and the central folks talk like they are not one company.....that's how it sounds. People remember such things, and consider all their options when buying. Don't offer if you can't "deliver" so to speak...

  12. #537
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    19,043
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Peerless

    How are things where you're working?
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Good question...I was thinking the same. Plus we care about our guy.

    Brent, you ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I was worried about him, but noticed he's been on. Just hasn't posted. Hopefully he's doing well.
    Thanks for checking in. Sorry I haven't provided much of an update. I think sometimes after working 12+ hrs, I'd rather come on here for a minute to talk about something else - (not saying that I don't want to discuss this anymore).

    It hasn't been too bad compared to some places (New York). UW did a great job of shutting things down and 'prepping' for an influx (which everyone thinks will happen in the next week or two). Yet, I feel like I've been hearing that for the past few weeks.

    We have shut down the OR's (unless for emergency or "I need this cancer removed from my brain ASAP" type of deals). We have cleared out units and have created Covid + units which are all negative flow rooms. We have "re-deployed" staff to areas in the hospital that need staff help. Our schedules are also all messed up. We're getting "volun-told" to work NOC and weekend shifts, forced call, etc.

    We do have Covid + patients of course, and a lot of them are pretty sick. Some have passed, others are sorta status quo.

    We are short on PPE - we're reusing a bunch of N95's until they are soiled or 'unwearable'. We have some process to 're-process' masks, but it sounds like a bunch of hoopla to me.

    Anyways, grateful to still have a job even if it's right in the thick of things at times. My wife has been fortunate like many to be working from home. We're both grateful that this pandemic hasn't cost us our jobs or health - like it has done to many other people.

    Happy Easter!


    All things said, I've been safe along with my co-workers (for now).

  13. #538
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This is a nit, but be careful with some of the click and collect services, primarily in the grocery world. Maybe it's just where I live. We decided to reduce the outings and elect to order groceries online, but at al much later date. We had a 9 - 9:30 pm slot. When I get there, there's no one around so I was a bit concerned. I called and told them I was waiting outside, and it became clear that we had no order. Turns out the store hours did not even align with the pick up slot. The person in the store could not help us, and we are stuck with an 800 number...on Easter.

    Well, lucky we got ample food supply, because you do not go shopping on Easter. And lucky we do not have anyone coming over, because we would have been missing a couple of things. But imagine someone who really needed the supplies.

    I get that there are glitches, but 1) the grocery business is as strong as any right now, so staff for it, and 2) if there are glitches, be customer friendly about it. We're hearing that others have had problems as well, and are not getting breaks in line, which is not fair. Start over??

    Hey, it's not easy, especially for businesses that are trying to change on the fly. And I appreciate the extra services. But you have to do better than..."too bad".

    Haha...but unlike my wife, I am going to talk to someone about their service issue, and at least get them to consider making notes and fixing things, for others not to fall into the same trap. What ticked me more was that the store folks and the central folks talk like they are not one company.....that's how it sounds. People remember such things, and consider all their options when buying. Don't offer if you can't "deliver" so to speak...
    I don't know about where you live (Canada, I know but not how service is normally)but where I live and I think probably most of the US grocery stores are limiting their hours due to the virus. You stated 9-9:30pm, that would be too late for any stores around here. I am in a "rural like town" but still have a Walmart that is open 24 hours... normally; they have significantly limited their hours due to the virus. Our daughter actually works for a Walmart in the Denver area and they too have changed/limited their hours open.
    Even for pick up normally I think it is only from 8am-8pm and the Kroger/Dillons store has less time than that for pick-up. Still, I would think that when ordering online that it would not offer a time slot for when they are closed even if it is just during the virus; maybe they need to update their online service?

  14. #539
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Thanks for checking in. Sorry I haven't provided much of an update. I think sometimes after working 12+ hrs, I'd rather come on here for a minute to talk about something else - (not saying that I don't want to discuss this anymore).

    It hasn't been too bad compared to some places (New York). UW did a great job of shutting things down and 'prepping' for an influx (which everyone thinks will happen in the next week or two). Yet, I feel like I've been hearing that for the past few weeks.

    We have shut down the OR's (unless for emergency or "I need this cancer removed from my brain ASAP" type of deals). We have cleared out units and have created Covid + units which are all negative flow rooms. We have "re-deployed" staff to areas in the hospital that need staff help. Our schedules are also all messed up. We're getting "volun-told" to work NOC and weekend shifts, forced call, etc.

    We do have Covid + patients of course, and a lot of them are pretty sick. Some have passed, others are sorta status quo.

    We are short on PPE - we're reusing a bunch of N95's until they are soiled or 'unwearable'. We have some process to 're-process' masks, but it sounds like a bunch of hoopla to me.

    Anyways, grateful to still have a job even if it's right in the thick of things at times. My wife has been fortunate like many to be working from home. We're both grateful that this pandemic hasn't cost us our jobs or health - like it has done to many other people.

    Happy Easter!


    All things said, I've been safe along with my co-workers (for now).
    Hey Brent! Good to hear from you. I can imagine you are tired and probably "tired' of talking about and living this thing, first hand. My daughter is not nearly as close to the battle as you, but when we talk, she would rather talk about other things.

    Take care!

  15. #540
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Thanks for checking in. Sorry I haven't provided much of an update. I think sometimes after working 12+ hrs, I'd rather come on here for a minute to talk about something else - (not saying that I don't want to discuss this anymore).

    It hasn't been too bad compared to some places (New York). UW did a great job of shutting things down and 'prepping' for an influx (which everyone thinks will happen in the next week or two). Yet, I feel like I've been hearing that for the past few weeks.

    We have shut down the OR's (unless for emergency or "I need this cancer removed from my brain ASAP" type of deals). We have cleared out units and have created Covid + units which are all negative flow rooms. We have "re-deployed" staff to areas in the hospital that need staff help. Our schedules are also all messed up. We're getting "volun-told" to work NOC and weekend shifts, forced call, etc.

    We do have Covid + patients of course, and a lot of them are pretty sick. Some have passed, others are sorta status quo.

    We are short on PPE - we're reusing a bunch of N95's until they are soiled or 'unwearable'. We have some process to 're-process' masks, but it sounds like a bunch of hoopla to me.

    Anyways, grateful to still have a job even if it's right in the thick of things at times. My wife has been fortunate like many to be working from home. We're both grateful that this pandemic hasn't cost us our jobs or health - like it has done to many other people.

    Happy Easter!


    All things said, I've been safe along with my co-workers (for now).
    Check your messages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •