Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    This is a nit, but be careful with some of the click and collect services, primarily in the grocery world. Maybe it's just where I live. We decided to reduce the outings and elect to order groceries online, but at al much later date. We had a 9 - 9:30 pm slot. When I get there, there's no one around so I was a bit concerned. I called and told them I was waiting outside, and it became clear that we had no order. Turns out the store hours did not even align with the pick up slot. The person in the store could not help us, and we are stuck with an 800 number...on Easter.

Well, lucky we got ample food supply, because you do not go shopping on Easter. And lucky we do not have anyone coming over, because we would have been missing a couple of things. But imagine someone who really needed the supplies.

I get that there are glitches, but 1) the grocery business is as strong as any right now, so staff for it, and 2) if there are glitches, be customer friendly about it. We're hearing that others have had problems as well, and are not getting breaks in line, which is not fair. Start over??

Hey, it's not easy, especially for businesses that are trying to change on the fly. And I appreciate the extra services. But you have to do better than..."too bad".

Haha...but unlike my wife, I am going to talk to someone about their service issue, and at least get them to consider making notes and fixing things, for others not to fall into the same trap. What ticked me more was that the store folks and the central folks talk like they are not one company.....that's how it sounds. People remember such things, and consider all their options when buying. Don't offer if you can't "deliver" so to speak...
    Wait a minute. Your comments have repeatedly stressed everyone must follow the rules and minimize risk by extending the shut down as long as necessary. Yet, it’s someone else who must provide extra staffing at grocery stores? It’s others who should put themselves or family at risk by being the “extra staff”. It’s someone else who should work while everyone else stays home, protected from the risk of being infected?

If we need to extend the shut down for as long as necessary maybe others should sacrifice by reducing meals per day. That wouldn’t be too much to ask, right?

There are at least three meat processing plants in the U.S. shut down after their employees were infected. In fact, two died from their infection. Heaven forbid we’re inconvenienced because the grocery stores won’t increase their staffing.

Aren’t people supposed to be minimizing their exposure? I guess that doesn’t apply to people that need to increase their staffing to exceed demands for better service.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-12-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I don't know about where you live (Canada, I know but not how service is normally)but where I live and I think probably most of the US grocery stores are limiting their hours due to the virus. You stated 9-9:30pm, that would be too late for any stores around here. I am in a "rural like town" but still have a Walmart that is open 24 hours... normally; they have significantly limited their hours due to the virus. Our daughter actually works for a Walmart in the Denver area and they too have changed/limited their hours open.
    Even for pick up normally I think it is only from 8am-8pm and the Kroger/Dillons store has less time than that for pick-up. Still, I would think that when ordering online that it would not offer a time slot for when they are closed even if it is just during the virus; maybe they need to update their online service?
    Lets just say it was a Walmart, and they gave us the 9 pm - 9:30 pm pickup slot. So it was all on them. They need to adjust whatever IT things they are doing, because we followed their script to a T, and their info sources and online slots were the problem. I don't believe the customer should have to know what time the store is open if they choose a time for you. That's on them.

Lets just say it was a Walmart, and they gave us the 9 pm - 9:30 pm pickup slot. So it was all on them. They need to adjust whatever IT things they are doing, because we followed their script to a T, and their info sources and online slots were the problem. I don't believe the customer should have to know what time the store is open if they choose a time for you. That's on them.
    Technically that’s their fault. In normal times those are things a business should account for when they adjust schedules. Even then it’s impossible
    to always account for every detail. Businesses are taking extraordinary steps to serve the public in these times.

Businesses are dealing with staffing shortages, higher demand for some items and overcoming technical and regulatory barriers. Maybe the person responsible for adjusting the website was asked to take on another task?

This is a time when everyone should be more forgiving of businesses who are doing more than their part to keep things going - while most of society shelters in place. Even when a mistake is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Wait a minute. Your comments have repeatedly stressed everyone must follow the rules and minimize risk by extending the shut down as long as necessary. Yet, it’s someone else who must provide extra staffing at grocery stores? It’s others who should put themselves or family at risk by being the “extra staff”. It’s someone else who should work while everyone else stays home, protected from the risk of being infected?

If we need to extend the shut down for as long as necessary maybe others should sacrifice by reducing meals per day. That wouldn’t be too much to ask, right?

There are at least three meat processing plants in the U.S. shut down after their employees were infected. In fact, two died from their infection. Heaven forbid we’re inconvenienced because the grocery stores won’t increase their staffing.

Aren’t people supposed to be minimizing their exposure? I guess that doesn’t apply to people that need to increase their staffing to exceed demands for better service.
    It's Easter, and this response is so wrong on so many levels. It makes almost zero sense, in relation to my views.

I am not going to highlight your points and assess, rather list my basic viewpoint on this matter:

1) Food is an essential business. We need food. It's what humans live on.
    2) Online and click is meant for the exact reason many of us are doing what we do....distancing. If we order and pickup, no one gets close. It works.
    3) I am pro business to a high degree. The food and in this case, grocery business, is one of the most important and busiest of all industries, as it should be. The fact that they are "in business" is great. And in these tough times, the fact that it may be actually able to hire folks, is even better. This is so basic. What is so wrong with this logic? Hiring people and keeping distance?
    4) Do not characterize my views as different than many others on this topic. It is healthy and business minded.
    5) To begin with, I called it "a nit". But in fairness, a number of folks have noticed this problem, and in fairness again, if you waited a couple of weeks to do the smart thing (no contact) and then you are told to start all over again, I think it ok to mention it as a bit of a problem.....which hopefully will not happen to others, especially those afraid to get close right now, and who NEED food.

Please lets not carry on with this conversation.

It's Easter, and I think it is way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Agree...that’s how I see it too... social distance..obey rules .. but don’t inconvenience our grocery shopping time.

Head scratcher..

I truly appreciate the workers that are working through this in essential businesses...I do everything I can to put them at comfort with me and check on they wheel being while in the store.. and if there isn’t an employees at every corner for my convenience right now... oh well.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 04-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Agree...that’s how I see it too... social distance..obey rules .. but don’t inconvenience our grocery shopping time.

:headscratch:
    I said it was nit. I said it could be an issue if someone needed food after waiting for 2 weeks. I said that others had experienced the same thing in other places, and had to start over...which should be corrected.

My opinion, if you can fix a problem that is fixable, and is an essential service, give it a go.

My main point, lets not turn a nit, maybe a useful one for others to be prepare for, into a drama. My wife was as unhappy as I last night, and she is not a complainer. So you are "head scratching" my wife too.

I said it was nit. I said it could be an issue if someone needed food after waiting for 2 weeks. I said that others had experienced the same thing in other places, and had to start over...which should be corrected.

My opinion, if you can fix a problem that is fixable, and is an essential service, give it a go.

My main point, lets not turn a nit, maybe a useful one for others to be prepare for, into a drama. My wife was as unhappy as I last night, and she is not a complainer. So you are "head scratching" my wife too.
    Don’t know her...she hasn’t posted here so I don’t see her opinion..I am in agreement with Fan...you post seems to endorse increasing staffing for shopping convenience despite banging the table about safety since this started... if your wife, who you brought into this... agrees with you.. it’s irrelevant to me.

EM, stop head scratching other people's wives. It's weird.

It's Easter, and this response is so wrong on so many levels. It makes almost zero sense, in relation to my views.

I am not going to highlight your points and assess, rather list my basic viewpoint on this matter:

1) Food is an essential business. We need food. It's what humans live on.
    2) Online and click is meant for the exact reason many of us are doing what we do....distancing. If we order and pickup, no one gets close. It works.
    3) I am pro business to a high degree. The food and in this case, grocery business, is one of the most important and busiest of all industries, as it should be. The fact that they are "in business" is great. And in these tough times, the fact that it may be actually able to hire folks, is even better. This is so basic. What is so wrong with this logic? Hiring people and keeping distance?
    4) Do not characterize my views as different than many others on this topic. It is healthy and business minded.
    5) To begin with, I called it "a nit". But in fairness, a number of folks have noticed this problem, and in fairness again, if you waited a couple of weeks to do the smart thing (no contact) and then you are told to start all over again, I think it ok to mention it as a bit of a problem.....which hopefully will not happen to others, especially those afraid to get close right now, and who NEED food.

Please lets not carry on with this conversation.

It's Easter, and I think it is way off the mark.
    Because it’s Easter doesn’t mean one post is on the mark and another is off the mark.

Who are these “extra staffers”? People who work in grocery stores are at greater risk because they’re exposed to more people, distancing or not. To make it more convenient others are supposed to put themselves at greater risk by applying to work at a grocery store, to make it more convenient for everyone else? Seriously?

People with children would normally be able to work while their children are at school. Schools are closed. Are those parents the people who should be the “extra staff”. Who will watch their children, their grandparents? Wait, that would expose the grandparents to greater risk.

It’s someone else who should go work at the food store - so we don’t have to be inconvenienced by waiting in a long line, or being exposed unnecessarily.

Does anyone believe the “extra staff” workers aren’t at risk?

Again, it’s easy to say others should do the essential work and beef up the staffing. It’s okay for them to take extra risk? As long as we aren’t inconvenienced and can live out the idealistic parameters of social distancing.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-12-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    EM, stop head scratching other people's wives. It's weird.
    All right.. yeeesh the fun police are everywhere today....

Head scratcher..

I truly appreciate the workers that are working through this in essential businesses...I do everything I can to put them at comfort with me and check on they wheel being while in the store.. and if there isn’t an employees at every corner for my convenience right now... oh well.
    Locally we’ve had a couple of grocery workers quit because people were very rude about some of the short term shortages. Just because a grocery store is essential doesn’t give people the right to be rude to the workers. As time goes on with the shut down, some workers might reach a point when they say, “Why should I continue working while most everyone else is at home.”

Although some stores are paying workers extra along with small bonuses it cannot makeup for the extra risk, long hours and some of the rude customers.

There will be a tipping point when people have had enough.

All right.. yeeesh the fun police are everywhere today....
    Yes, we are.

To everyone. This MB is a reflection of real life. Tempers are starting to show. I don't expect all happy thoughts and butterflies, but it would be nice if we help each other and be more tolerant. I see people mention concerns about mental health issues and other situations. How about if we start with each other? It's a good place to vent, but it can be done without being nasty to each other.

Peerless, good to see you. I'm glad you and your wife are well. Since you're in the middle of the situation, I don't blame you for avoiding this thread.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Don’t know her...she hasn’t posted here so I don’t see her opinion..I am in agreement with Fan...you post seems to endorse increasing staffing for shopping convenience despite banging the table about safety since this started... if your wife, who you brought into this... agrees with you.. it’s irrelevant to me.
    To rehash:

1) Called it a nit
    2) Realized that businesses are having to do some things on the fly
    3) I stay the course on us humans and our need to eat. Something we seem to need.
    4) Stated that the grocery business is one that is striving and is fortunately able to employ in these hard times
    5) I didn't mention, but my wife spent some time trying to do the right thing....minimize our contact with others, by ordering online for pickup instead of face to face. It took her a lot of time actually, as she rechecked a number of times before I left
    6) The error was on their part, which is not the end of the world.....BUT, in our last conversation, it was on us to phone someone else, and we felt like we were the ones with the problem. And because we are now hearing that others have been cancelled without their knowledge, and had to start over, it is worthy of a wee bit of "disappointment". This is not socks or a book or something. Food. In a time when we are asked to distance.
    Not sure what is wrong with the "nit".
    7) There is nothing wrong to me if a company wanted to hire in these times, and a person wanted the job, especially in an essential service. Not forcing anyone to work.
    8) If you choose not to hire, then I would suggest that you keep your IT group intact, to fix this situation. I am sure they have IT folks who could fix it. Maybe hire some....remotely. That's possible.
    9) I would prefer we do not end comments with emojis that make us sound illogical or whatever the purpose is.

^^^^FTR....I think businesses are a hugely important part of how we progress. I have advocated for the ones who can to adapt to new roles, like manufacturing hospital products/supplies. Yes, this means employees working in their sites, but that's a good thing if safety comes first. And especially if they want to work and feel good about it. And the more businesses in those essential need areas can hire, the better. Essential services are obviously essential. Food is essential. Hospital supplies are essential. Hospitals are essential. The list is well understood.

If someone here thinks I do not feel for those in non essential business, they don't know me. If someone here thinks it's silly for a person in my age group, along with my wife, to be cautious about social contact, therefore trying to minimize such contact, I completely disagree. And if we need food, like every person I know, it could be more than an inconvenience, especially if we had other weaknesses. Not just an inconvenience or something to make light of.

Last...there is a difference though, because some employees are doing more front line work, and are expected to be there. IF someone offers you a job in another industry and you feel it safe and you want it....and there's demand for your service....it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Yes, we are.

To everyone. This MB is a reflection of real life. Tempers are starting to show. I don't expect all happy thoughts and butterflies, but it would be nice if we help each other and be more tolerant. I see people mention concerns about mental health issues and other situations. How about if we start with each other? It's a good place to vent, but it can be done without being nasty to each other.

Peerless, good to see you. I'm glad you and your wife are well. Since you're in the middle of the situation, I don't blame you for avoiding this thread.
    I do not want to discuss further, but some may say it's not my call to end this particular commentary. If we can move forward and try to meet more in the middle I would appreciate the coordination. I just didn't think I said anything too much, and thought it might actually help others. In other words, "hey folks, you might not want to put all your eggs in one basket (Easter slanted point), when it comes to your food needs." Others in our circle are sharing as well.