Page 4 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Im scheduled to go on a short term mission trip with my 12 year old daughter, leaving in 8 days. I hope that trip doesnt get cancelled.

My prayers are with those people who are suffering the illness right now, and with the scientists looking for a cure. May God help those people to recover and help the people in the lab to create a vaccine soon. Amen.
    Last edited by L.M.; 03-13-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I just read that the WHO had this good test that they sent all over the world .............worked fine.. And our CDC here in the states decided - 'we're going to make our own test thank you' ............but

...........the CDC test FAILS. It doesn't work. How do you like that? This shortage of tests is going to be a big deal. Nice roll of the dice

Unfortunately all these tests and drugs are made overseas now. It's not like the glory days of the USA when all the cutting edge tech was here at home. Now we have to rely on China and other countries for these tests and drugs while at the same time US brass is slighting those countries.
    Weird. I read international tests were rejected because they were shown to give a high rate of false-negatives. I wonder which is the case or if both might even be true.

We do need to get a better handle of our supply chain though.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I just read that the WHO had this good test that they sent all over the world .............worked fine.. And our CDC here in the states decided - 'we're going to make our own test thank you' ............but

...........the CDC test FAILS. It doesn't work. How do you like that? This shortage of tests is going to be a big deal. Nice roll of the dice

Unfortunately all these tests and drugs are made overseas now. It's not like the glory days of the USA when all the cutting edge tech was here at home. Now we have to rely on China and other countries for these tests and drugs while at the same time US brass is slighting those countries.
    I am not sure I know enough to talk intelligently about this topic (though I will), but it would be irresponsible for all countries to not try to work together on this. Expertise is in many places. Work together. Speed up solutions. Accept help.

I did hear good news from China that life is starting pick up again as the number of new cases seems to be stabilizing. They said that China is offering help to Italy. This is what you do. You help other countries, and you accept help. There is nothing useful about ego in times like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’m scheduled to go on a short term mission trip with my 12 year old daughter, leaving in 8 days. I hope that trip doesn’t get cancelled.
    Please be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    My prayers are with those people who are suffering the illness right now, and with the scientists looking for a cure. May God help those people to recover and help the people in the lab to create a vaccine soon. Amen.
    Amen.

The Matsuri has been postponed. It's the 60th anniversary so they didn't want to completely cancel it. With an international crowd (vendors, performers from Japan , China and tourists), I didn't think they would go with the original date.

MD schools have shut down. Lots of things have been cancelled or postponed.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

It's very surreal watching all that's going on at the stores right now. I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. For the first time, I don't feel like people are looking at me weird when I spray the cart with on-guard because the store wipes are not available. I try to take it seriously, even with everything gone from the shelves and all I can think is I am not overpaying for that. Luckily, my husband is a little less of a penny pincher than I am when it comes to groceries. I refused to buy TP last week because only the 72 rolls were available and I was not going to overpay. So my husband goes to the store and gets a couple of gigantic packages. Luckily he's done that more than once over the last week not just with TP, probably saved our butts ... I heard someone say today that Walmart was out of dog food, and I picked some up before that's the next thing people go nuts on... don't mind overpaying for those two.

Hope everyone here stays well though, and we're all no worse off when it's over. Hope this passes soon enough.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

It's awesome working in health care. Today - me and pretty much every single one of my co-workers didn't get phased (or should I say give a crap) about everything going on.

Just another day as usual....

Trauma? Sure.

CABGs / AVR's? Why not.

Crani's? Bust em out.

No ICU beds or beds at all for that matter? Just another day in paradise.

Corona virus? Psssh...

I’m scheduled to go on a short term mission trip with my 12 year old daughter, leaving in 8 days. I hope that trip doesn’t get cancelled.
    All trips to Europe will continue for another week. I imagine continental trips will be like this for any flight leaving the country...it's just that if it Europe you are going to, be prepared for difficulty coming back. Just my thoughts.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    It's awesome working in health care. Today - me and pretty much every single one of my co-workers didn't get phased (or should I say give a crap) about everything going on.

Trauma? Sure.

CABGs / AVR's? Why not.

Crani's? Bust em out.

Corona virus? Psssh...
    I work in the OR, and life really goes on. No matter what, as a medical professional your job isn't going to stop, especially during a medical crisis. To me it didn't really hit that this was a bigger deal than expected until I saw the NBA, MLB, MLS, and XFL were cancelled. Then going to my local stores I realized that toilet paper, napkins, and basic food items were gone.

As for the virus itself, yeah it is like the flu, but the problem is that it isn't contained like the flu is. There is no working vaccine for COVID-19, and there won't be one until at the earliest the end of this year. Until then, it's up to the general public to do their job and contain it, especially if they feel symptoms. Here in San Antonio, the first case was announced today. It's getting very personal now, and I highly encourage everyone, be smart, and take care of those around you by having awareness.

Also, don't look down on prayer. It truly does help in these times.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-13-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    All trips to Europe will continue for another week. I imagine continental trips will be like this for any flight leaving the country...it's just that if it Europe you are going to, be prepared for difficulty coming back. Just my thoughts.
    I work in the OR, and life really goes on. No matter what, as a medical professional your job isn't going to stop, especially during a medical crisis. To me it didn't really hit that this was a bigger deal than expected until I saw the NBA, MLB, MLS, and XFL were cancelled. Then going to my local stores I realized that toilet paper, napkins, and basic food items were gone.

As for the virus itself, yeah it is like the flu, but the problem is that it isn't contained like the flu is. There is no working vaccine for COVID-19, and there won't be one until at the earliest the end of this year. Until then, it's up to the general public to do their job and contain it, especially if they feel symptoms. Here in San Antonio, the first case was announced today. It's getting very personal now, and I highly encourage everyone, be smart, and take care of those around you by having awareness.

Our trip was going to be to an amazing mission a few hours south of Ensenada. I found out this evening it got cancelled, and I understand the wisdom of it. Im ok with the disappointment; Im just not looking forward to telling my 12 year old daughter were not going after she pleaded with me for 3 weeks to sign up for this trip. Shes probably going to cry...ugh, it breaks my heart when she cries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    It's very surreal watching all that's going on at the stores right now. I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. For the first time, I don't feel like people are looking at me weird when I spray the cart with on-guard because the store wipes are not available. I try to take it seriously, even with everything gone from the shelves and all I can think is I am not overpaying for that. Luckily, my husband is a little less of a penny pincher than I am when it comes to groceries. I refused to buy TP last week because only the 72 rolls were available and I was not going to overpay. So my husband goes to the store and gets a couple of gigantic packages. Luckily he's done that more than once over the last week not just with TP, probably saved our butts ... I heard someone say today that Walmart was out of dog food, and I picked some up before that's the next thing people go nuts on... don't mind overpaying for those two.

Hope everyone here stays well though, and we're all no worse off when it's over. Hope this passes soon enough.
    I mentioned in this thread that I'm a bit of a germaphobe, too. It works great in situations like this. I've been getting emails from retailers stating what they are doing to make it safe for the employees and customers. There's one cashier at a store I frequent that licks his fingers to separate the plastic bags. It's always bothered me. Like, I don't want your spit on my stuff. Hopefully, he will stop doing it (forever), but it's probably a habit that he doesn't realize he's doing. Would it be rude to ask (politely) him to not do it?

And the bolded: It was probably unintentional, but thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post

Trauma? Sure.

CABGs / AVR's? Why not.

Crani's? Bust em out.

Corona virus? Psssh...

I am very grateful to those of you that are in the medical field. Stay safe.

I agree. Prayer does help.

Our trip was going to be to an amazing mission a few hours south of Ensenada. I found out this evening it got cancelled, and I understand the wisdom of it. I’m ok with the disappointment; I’m just not looking forward to telling my 12 year old daughter we’re not going after she pleaded with me for 3 weeks to sign up for this trip. She’s probably going to cry...ugh, it breaks my heart when she cries.
    I'm sorry for your daughter.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

I'm happy with where Denmark is at and what's being done by the government, and our Prime Minister in particular. She's shown some great leadership and due diligence. Nationwide enforced paid leave from work, closed schools/day-care, ban on gatherings of 100 or more people, closed all borders, and some of the most extensive testing per capita in the world. These are times where I'm fortunate and happy to live in a wealthy country where everyone is safe and covered.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

There is some positive news, including from my vantage point, with the leadership and healthcare system in Canada. If I think I need a test (due to symptoms), I can go to one of the sites set up here, and though I might wait for a few hours and be screened for the symptoms, I can get a test.

Other positives:

Wuhan's Honda plant is starting to work again. Think of it, the center of this situation has only shut down this particular plant for less than 2 months.

Life in some parts of Asia is slowly returning to normality, albeit with precaution.

A Quebec based company has already isolated the virus, and is working on a vaccine. This will take time, but they might test on humans by July. Perhaps with added support worldwide, things could be accelerated.

Some teams/players are paying their laid off staff.

Italian neighbours in Siena sing from their balconies as they confront their lockdown with a community approach.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6674153/...d-19-outbreak/

I encourage folks here to post any positive stories around this situation.....good news is a good thing! No place for fear here....

Last edited by CanDB; 03-14-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I mentioned in this thread that I'm a bit of a germaphobe, too. It works great in situations like this. I've been getting emails from retailers stating what they are doing to make it safe for the employees and customers. There's one cashier at a store I frequent that licks his fingers to separate the plastic bags. It's always bothered me. Like, I don't want your spit on my stuff. Hopefully, he will stop doing it (forever), but it's probably a habit that he doesn't realize he's doing. Would it be rude to ask (politely) him to not do it?

And the bolded: It was probably unintentional, but thought it was funny.
    I would think someone in management would ask him to quit, but some people don't think about it. That would bother me too. I would avoid his line. I'm not usually one to say something when I'm bothered by someone, I just avoid them when I can.

Our trip was going to be to an amazing mission a few hours south of Ensenada. I found out this evening it got cancelled, and I understand the wisdom of it. I’m ok with the disappointment; I’m just not looking forward to telling my 12 year old daughter we’re not going after she pleaded with me for 3 weeks to sign up for this trip. She’s probably going to cry...ugh, it breaks my heart when she cries.
    Sorry for your kiddo. Hopefully, you can do something with her that she gets just as excited for after the craziness passes.

To all those in the medical fields who frequent these boards thank you for all that you do.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

This complete over-reaction by countries/governments is absolutely moronic and dangerous. There is just no common sense or perspective applied nowadays and the hysteria caused by the media has only fed the over-the-top modern world that we live in where people panic and get scared about every little thing. The media blasts out coverage 24/7, gives this thing a name, and gives everyone the 'worst case' side of the situation and it just leads to panic like we have seen in the shops. I cringe at the stupidity of some people nowadays.

I'm not saying to ignore it but there has to be a sensible balance of life carrying on as normal and not shutting everything down like we have seen in Italy, Spain, France, and I expect more countries will follow suit. I have heard leading business people say that when this is over the economy will have been devastasted, many independent and smaller businesses will close down, and thosands of people will be laid off work permanantly. These countries have brought all this on themselves, if there was a little sense applied and sensible measures put in place it would not ruin countries economically, shut down thousands of businesses, or cost hundreds or thousands of people their jobs. Shame on everyone who has contributed to this ridiculous mass hysteria.

In the UK for example 21 people have died (all with serious health problems) out of a population of 67 million. Since October 6500 people have died of the seasonal flu. Again, measures need to be put in place but there is no balance, just absolute irrational panic.

It doesn't help their case either when we see people who have contracted it on the news say they felt bad with a high temp. for 8-10 hours and then 2 days later had recovered. One older person said he has had flu before which was worse then this. I see the media do not report that the vast majority of people who contract this virus have mild symptoms and recover in 2 days, I guess that doesn't obtain them the coverage they crave by causing panic.

I also hear that it is only deadly to people who have severe health problems or people over 70 (and again they fail to report that the majority of people over 70 do not die), while I feel for these people isn't this true with ANY cold / flu / sickness bug. If I get a bad cold I don't go and visit my elder relatives because I know it can be dangerous for them, its just called common sense.

If sensible measures where put in place like - screening at airports, restrictions on nursing homes and other elderly people related centres, etc....... then I would applaud these leaders, but once they cave in to pressure from the mass public and start locking countries down and costing people their jobs and businesses then I find them ridiculous.

I know we live in the 'twitter' age where far too many people are 'sensitive' and have no sense of perspective but it is still annoying and as I said earlier, dangerous.

So guys, if you have a runny nose, sore throat, dry cough, or a temperature do not panic, it is not the end of the world as you may have read, get out from under the bed with your packs of toilet roll and just live your lives. If by some chance you get this virus then give it a couple of days and your get over it. Yes its been given a cute name but keep some perspective, life goes on.............