Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    This complete over-reaction by countries/governments is absolutely moronic and dangerous. There is just no common sense or perspective applied nowadays and the hysteria caused by the media has only fed the over-the-top modern world that we live in where people panic and get scared about every little thing. The media blasts out coverage 24/7, gives this thing a name, and gives everyone the 'worst case' side of the situation and it just leads to panic like we have seen in the shops. I cringe at the stupidity of some people nowadays.

I'm not saying to ignore it but there has to be a sensible balance of life carrying on as normal and not shutting everything down like we have seen in Italy, Spain, France, and I expect more countries will follow suit. I have heard leading business people say that when this is over the economy will have been devastasted, many independent and smaller businesses will close down, and thosands of people will be laid off work permanantly. These countries have brought all this on themselves, if there was a little sense applied and sensible measures put in place it would not ruin countries economically, shut down thousands of businesses, or cost hundreds or thousands of people their jobs. Shame on everyone who has contributed to this ridiculous mass hysteria.

In the UK for example 21 people have died (all with serious health problems) out of a population of 67 million. Since October 6500 people have died of the seasonal flu. Again, measures need to be put in place but there is no balance, just absolute irrational panic.

It doesn't help their case either when we see people who have contracted it on the news say they felt bad with a high temp. for 8-10 hours and then 2 days later had recovered. One older person said he has had flu before which was worse then this. I see the media do not report that the vast majority of people who contract this virus have mild symptoms and recover in 2 days, I guess that doesn't obtain them the coverage they crave by causing panic.

I also hear that it is only deadly to people who have severe health problems or people over 70 (and again they fail to report that the majority of people over 70 do not die), while I feel for these people isn't this true with ANY cold / flu / sickness bug. If I get a bad cold I don't go and visit my elder relatives because I know it can be dangerous for them, its just called common sense.

If sensible measures where put in place like - screening at airports, restrictions on nursing homes and other elderly people related centres, etc....... then I would applaud these leaders, but once they cave in to pressure from the mass public and start locking countries down and costing people their jobs and businesses then I find them ridiculous.

I know we live in the 'twitter' age where far too many people are 'sensitive' and have no sense of perspective but it is still annoying and as I said earlier, dangerous.

So guys, if you have a runny nose, sore throat, dry cough, or a temperature do not panic, it is not the end of the world as you may have read, get out from under the bed with your packs of toilet roll and just live your lives. If by some chance you get this virus then give it a couple of days and your get over it. Yes its been given a cute name but keep some perspective, life goes on.............
    Bronx….I do agree with you that the media seems to always overplay, and add panic to situations. At some point I want a break from hearing the same news. Yes, I want new information that is important to know, but the media seem to compete in such situations, to the point it gets me more nervous than productive. Once we have the key data, and are given a game plan to follow, all we need is relevant information going forward.

On the other hand, I do understand the criticality of getting this right. It does seem to be a lot like other flus. It seems to be most harmful to the elderly, and those who are weakened for various reasons. Therefore an elderly person with weaknesses, is apparently the most vulnerable. Stats tell us that 10s of thousands of Americans alone die every year (I heard it was 60,000 a couple of years back, but I do not mind being corrected if I heard wrong), because of the flu. My understanding is the total number of deaths attributed to the coronavirus was just under 5,000, as of the other day...world wide. Again, feel free to correct if I am misled. But I thought it would be higher.

But the variables at play that are a concern include: that we do not have enough testing capability, we do not fully understand its characteristics (ie. can a person get it more than once?, will it return with clout after the summer season, if in fact it decreases due to seasonality?, and so on), and we do not have a vaccine. So even though many of us might believe that we have a good handle on it, we really don't. But more light is being shed, and more tests are happening, and a vaccine is potentially making some head way. And yes, on the surface, it appears like we know quite a lot about its characteristics.

I hope that things improve quickly, so that few lives are lost, that folks do not lose their jobs, and that businesses have a fighting chance to stay functional. And I really hope this has some of that Y2K, or even some other diseases in past, story to it......overblown. Be we don't know for sure that it will be, just yet. And the worst thing that could happen is that many more people get very sick at the same time, taxing our hospitals and medical capability. I believe that is the going concern with those in charge. So extra caution at this stage will quite possibly prevent this pandemic from ever mounting that threat. Maybe then, hopefully, we will see our normal world pick up slowly at first and then in an accelerated manner, minimizing the problems we discuss.

And I must add....bless all those who have been, or will be hurt by this virus....in any way.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-14-2020 at 10:15 PM.

This isn't comparable to the flu. The flu doesn't spread across the entire world in a few months. This is a virus your body has not seen yet and has not developed a defense for it yet.

As for fear and panic. It's important to be smart in these times, but it's almost futile. We're all going to get this eventually. Best time to get it would be after the initial spike. That way professionals will be able to care for you in a reasonable capacity. If our hospitals get hammered, those who are sick will only get enough care that is available.

Not sure if I read Peerless' post correctly but it sounds like his workplace is dealing with limited ICU beds and it's not even really hit yet.

One big issue for Americans is that our insurance and cost of healthcare and Rx system is a big mess. Look what had to be done to try and fight this bug with Trump and US Brass pushing some free testing and care through. without doing that -- a large percentage of our population would have been left to their own devices. And that threatens everyone.

China did some pretty extreme stuff to curtail their outbreak with the drones, and people walking the streets with those chem blowers trying to sterilize general public surfaces. It looks like they've gotten past the shock of the initial stage of this thing. Hopefully our leaders navigate this thing properly from here ............we got a late start but at least now they're taking it seriously. Other countries with Healthcare for all have an easier time implementing some kind of universal plan to combat something like this.

If the US does a good job navigating this, those who make the claims that it's all an over reaction will feel vindicated. Yet we'll never know exactly to what lengths were completely necessary to overcome it. Unless of course we don't navigate it well and it becomes obvious underestimating this thing or acting later than we should have were inadequate. Only time will tell.

Like I said, the way this thing spreads ......chances are we're all going to get it. And once exposed, and generate those important antibodies, it will be much less of a threat. It's just a matter of surviving this initial spread of this thing.
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

kind of amazing what it took to make 1 ply toilet paper popular....

[URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg[/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    kind of amazing what it took to make 1 ply toilet paper popular....

Wish I drop some investment in charmin.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    This isn't comparable to the flu. The flu doesn't spread across the entire world in a few months. This is a virus your body has not seen yet and has not developed a defense for it yet.

As for fear and panic. It's important to be smart in these times, but it's almost futile. We're all going to get this eventually. Best time to get it would be after the initial spike. That way professionals will be able to care for you in a reasonable capacity. If our hospitals get hammered, those who are sick will only get enough care that is available.

Not sure if I read Peerless' post correctly but it sounds like his workplace is dealing with limited ICU beds and it's not even really hit yet.

One big issue for Americans is that our insurance and cost of healthcare and Rx system is a big mess. Look what had to be done to try and fight this bug with Trump and US Brass pushing some free testing and care through. without doing that -- a large percentage of our population would have been left to their own devices. And that threatens everyone.

China did some pretty extreme stuff to curtail their outbreak with the drones, and people walking the streets with those chem blowers trying to sterilize general public surfaces. It looks like they've gotten past the shock of the initial stage of this thing. Hopefully our leaders navigate this thing properly from here ............we got a late start but at least now they're taking it seriously. Other countries with Healthcare for all have an easier time implementing some kind of universal plan to combat something like this.

If the US does a good job navigating this, those who make the claims that it's all an over reaction will feel vindicated. Yet we'll never know exactly to what lengths were completely necessary to overcome it. Unless of course we don't navigate it well and it becomes obvious underestimating this thing or acting later than we should have were inadequate. Only time will tell.

Like I said, the way this thing spreads ......chances are we're all going to get it. And once exposed, and generate those important antibodies, it will be much less of a threat. It's just a matter of surviving this initial spread of this thing.
    We're not all going to get it. Children so far seem to be completely unaffected by it. They can carry it but appear to be completely immune to it's symptoms. Its symptoms are that of the flu and or common cold. It is very comparable to the flu and the flu does carry world wide on a daily basis.

Most people are going to be absolutely 100% fine if they do get it. More than likely won't even need hospitalization from it. People that are going to be threatened by it are those that have compromised immune systems. For those I truly feel bad for, my oldest brother is one of them. If he were to get it he is in danger and I am praying it's stays away from him.

But, for 90% of the rest of the country stop acting like this is the plague!!!! For goodness sake, its ok to go outside and live your normal life!! I live with 3 women in my house..... toilet paper is needed and I can't get it!!!! LOL, SERIOUSLY STOP FREAKING OUT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    We're not all going to get it. Children so far seem to be completely unaffected by it. They can carry it but appear to be completely immune to it's symptoms. Its symptoms are that of the flu and or common cold. It is very comparable to the flu and the flu does carry world wide on a daily basis.

Most people are going to be absolutely 100% fine if they do get it. More than likely won't even need hospitalization from it. People that are going to be threatened by it are those that have compromised immune systems. For those I truly feel bad for, my oldest brother is one of them. If he were to get it he is in danger and I am praying it's stays away from him.

But, for 90% of the rest of the country stop acting like this is the plague!!!! For goodness sake, its ok to go outside and live your normal life!! I live with 3 women in my house..... toilet paper is needed and I can't get it!!!! LOL, SERIOUSLY STOP FREAKING OUT!!!
    Jv and dizz, I think you might be saying the same thing about all of us getting it (perhaps other than those in far away places, like the Antarctic, with no exposure). In that, many of us may carry it, but not get sick. Then again, I am not sure that we all will at least carry it.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-15-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I encourage folks here to post any positive stories around this situation.....good news is a good thing! No place for fear here....

The guy in Tennessee who bought all the hand sanitizer in his area still has over 17,000 bottles left and can't sell them (at least at his inflated prices).

That's probably not what you meant. It did make me smile, so that is a positive, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I would think someone in management would ask him to quit, but some people don't think about it. That would bother me too. I would avoid his line. I'm not usually one to say something when I'm bothered by someone, I just avoid them when I can.

I do avoid him when I can, but sometimes his is the only one open. I've never said anything to him, but with the virus, I might. I would be my most polite self and say "please" and "thank you".
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    The guy in Tennessee who bought all the hand sanitizer in his area still has over 17,000 bottles left and can't sell them (at least at his inflated prices).

That's probably not what you meant. It did make me smile, so that is a positive, right?

That's a positive post. Greedy/selfish behaviour gone awry is good news to me!

Anyone who does things for themselves in these times, which is not for the betterment of us all, is not playing ball. Get your own ball, and go away!!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-15-2020 at 01:02 PM.

The good news, at least to some degree, is that if this had happened a couple of decades back, few people could even work from home. Whereas nowadays, many people we know of are able to do just that. My daughter. Both young men that are partners of my kids. Many people we talk to, or are friends of our kids.

It does not mean that all is well, but technology and the ways of business are much more savvy these days. It at least assures that some activity can carry on, and provide some strength for economies.

Coronavirus: some recovered patients may have reduced lung function

Elizabeth Cheung
    Published March 13, 2020

• Hospital Authority releases its findings after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients
    • Some patients might have a drop of about 20 to 30 per cent in lung function, says medical director of Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital

Some patients who recovered from Covid-19 have suffered reduced lung function and now experience problems such as gasping for air when walking quickly, Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority has revealed.

The authority released its findings on Thursday after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients.

The city has so far recorded 131 confirmed cases of Covid-19, including three fatalities. Of them, 74 patients have been discharged while one probable coronavirus case has also recovered.

Dr Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the authority’s Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, said doctors had already seen around a dozen discharged patients in follow-up appointments. Two to three were unable to do things as they had in the past.

Link to full article:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...40mRaNsFkYUXAk
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Some decent news....Gobert, who mocked the virus before becoming the first positive test case for The NBA, has donated $500k to pay for employee wages. I think he was a fool for his antics, but this donation is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosDivision View Post

Elizabeth Cheung
    Published March 13, 2020

• Hospital Authority releases its findings after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients
    • Some patients might have a drop of about 20 to 30 per cent in lung function, says medical director of Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital

Link to full article:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...40mRaNsFkYUXAk
    From what I can gather, approximately 80% of people under the age of 60, whom do not have a compromised immune system, should be relatively fine and suffer no long-term issues. However, that means 20% of young healthy adults without compromised immune systems could have complications requiring hospitalization, and possibly suffer long-term respiratory issues.

For older folks and those with compromised immune systems, the numbers are significantly higher.

This virus is no joke. No need to panic and hoard water and toilet paper, and espousing Armageddon...but be smart. Don't gather in social settings unless it's absolutely necessary, and keep your distance from folks.

In our neighborhood, we're organizing grocery procurement for the elderly (and others in higher risk groups) to enable them to stay home. Help each other out, and don't panic - we can get through this.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    From what I can gather, approximately 80% of people under the age of 60, whom do not have a compromised immune system, should be relatively fine and suffer no long-term issues. However, that means 20% of young healthy adults without compromised immune systems could have complications requiring hospitalization, and possibly suffer long-term respiratory issues.

For older folks and those with compromised immune systems, the numbers are significantly higher.

This virus is no joke. No need to panic and hoard water and toilet paper, and espousing Armageddon...but be smart. Don't gather in social settings unless it's absolutely necessary, and keep your distance from folks.

In our neighborhood, we're organizing grocery procurement for the elderly (and others in higher risk groups) to enable them to stay home. Help each other out, and don't panic - we can get through this.
    Well said, Lumiere. This is no joke indeed.

I think the vast majority is exercising caution and applying common sense in how they approach the new unknown, but hoarding is absolutely ridiculous, and frankly, should be prohibited. Many grocers have taken action over here by applying significant markups on second purchases (like x 20 or similar) and others by outright denying hoarders.

Last edited by BroncosDivision; 03-15-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

I think the Costco's of the world should have limited sales of certain products a while back. Some other stores have limits for toilet paper, possibly other goods. The fact I could only buy 2 -12s of toilet paper at a smaller store, is so wise. Meanwhile folks can't get enough of the cheap Costco paper! I am convinced I will not be able to buy it from Costco for a long time, so I will shop elsewhere. The extra price is fine by me. If people rode this thing out together, we would not go short. But they just can't do it!

It's one aspect of the human psyche that needs to be tweaked....

Last edited by CanDB; 03-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post

I agree bro, but this is 2020 and too many people are scared of their own shadows now, and with twitter/facebook/general internet coverage the media creating hysteria just plays right into there hands. I smh at the stupidity of this generation.