Page 1 of 174 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft

NFL Draft

So I'm hearing that this may be pushed back, and/or no players will be there. More of an electronic type of draft. Bums me out.
    I , as I'm sure all of you, so much look forward to the draft. Last year in Tenn. was so cool. I was totally looking forward to the Vegas experience. I love seeing the emotion from the players....I watch Path to the Draft religiously , so it's like I almost know these young men. I take the week off from work, and drink a bottle of Captain and coke through out the 3 days. {The coke keeps me awake} Anyway....hope everyone in the NFL stays safe and the Broncos draft well !!
    { Ruggs 1st / Cushenbury/Ruiez 2nd }

I think that the event, if hopefully held, will not look anything like what we are used to. No fans. Likely more of a conference call/video process.

But I would be fine with that, over not having anything at all.

Personally, I don't care for the theatrics that they put on at the draft. I miss the old drafts where they just announced the pick, and any player there came right out, held up a blank #1 jersey, not waiting for a customized jersey to quickly be put together, analyzed the pick and moved on. The guest announcers for picks are becoming tiresome... I know I'm coming off as a grump but I just like the draft without all the extra nonsense. I know it's to make it a more fun experience for those who attend, but to me it's rather lame.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    Personally, I don't care for the theatrics that they put on at the draft. I miss the old drafts where they just announced the pick, and any player there came right out, held up a blank #1 jersey, not waiting for a customized jersey to quickly be put together, analyzed the pick and moved on. The guest announcers for picks are becoming tiresome... I know I'm coming off as a grump but I just like the draft without all the extra nonsense. I know it's to make it a more fun experience for those who attend, but to me it's rather lame.
    You will likely get your wish then, with limited fanfare this year. Just pick 'em, or trade 'em, and send 'em in.

The good news....for the commish…..he may not get booed for a change. But do I care??

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You will likely get your wish then, with limited fanfare this year. Just pick 'em, or trade 'em, and send 'em in.

The good news....for the commish…..he may not get booed for a change. But do I care??
    it always seems like they discuss in depth every pick, until its denvers and it goes to five minutes of commercials and they just briefly if at all talk about the Denver pick
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Hopefully itíll speed up the time of the draft. I donít think the current set up is too bad but itís a battle of endurance slogging through the first two days.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Hopefully itíll speed up the time of the draft. I donít think the current set up is too bad but itís a battle of endurance slogging through the first two days.
    Yes, as much as I like the TV coverage for rd 1 and 2 each team should get half as much time in rd 1 and less time in rd 2. These GM's know who is available and if they need to get on the phone to make a quicker deal it can happen.

Hopefully it’ll speed up the time of the draft. I don’t think the current set up is too bad but it’s a battle of endurance slogging through the first two days.
    Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Yes, as much as I like the TV coverage for rd 1 and 2 each team should get half as much time in rd 1 and less time in rd 2. These GM's know who is available and if they need to get on the phone to make a quicker deal it can happen.
    Yes....I think this draft can go ahead as scheduled, because if not now, when? If you don't have to be in close proximity, and you have done your homework and interviews (even remotely), The Draft can be on schedule. Sure, you can't always be in the same site, but you also can do video workouts. And cmon, they have loads of tape on these guys already.

Not sure if Free Agency will cause a backdate, but I also believe you can conduct business without flying around and "shaking hands". If I want a Tom Brady, for example, I think I have enough info on him, and so will he. We can talk. Lawyers will devise contracts.

Yes....I think this draft can go ahead as scheduled, because if not now, when? If you don't have to be in close proximity, and you have done your homework and interviews (even remotely), The Draft can be on schedule. Sure, you can't always be in the same site, but you also can do video workouts. And cmon, they have loads of tape on these guys already.

Not sure if Free Agency will cause a backdate, but I also believe you can conduct business without flying around and "shaking hands". If I want a Tom Brady, for example, I think I have enough info on him, and so will he. We can talk. Lawyers will devise contracts.
    Letís just hope Elway remembers how to use his fax machine lol

Let’s just hope Elway remembers how to use his fax machine lol
    Good one!!

(and also have a good list of backup pass rushers!)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-starting-sat

NFL's new rules pertaining to travel/contact pre draft.

The NFL sent a memo to all 32 teams on Friday instructing clubs to halt pre-draft visits to team facilities effective at the end of today's business day due to growing concerns surrounding the new coronavirus, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo reported.

"We have been closely monitoring developments relating to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and taking action based on the guidance of our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Allen Sills and the medical experts at the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention," the memo stated. "After considering recent medical and public safety information related to COVID-19, we have decided to prohibit all in-person pre-Draft visits involving draft-eligible players effective at the end of this business day, until further notice."

The news comes after NFL Network Insider reported the Miami Dolphins had Ohio State running back J.K. Dobbins in for a pre-draft visit Friday. Rapoport reported Dobbins has been living and training for the 2020 NFL Draft in South Florida so no air travel was necessary for the visit, and the Dolphins were exercising extreme care and caution with the visit.

Rapoport also reported on NFL NOW that the Dolphins are meeting with potential first-round quarterback Jordan Love on Friday before pre-draft visits are prohibited.

Since Thursday multiple NFL teams have suspended their air travel for coaches and scouts and a few announced they are temporarily closing their facilities due to COVID-19. The Dolphins announced Thursday that they have pulled their scouts and coaches from the road during the pre-draft process.

Additionally the memo states that the following is prohibited:
    -- Any draft-eligible player traveling to a club facility or other location to meet with club personnel
    -- Club personnel (including BLESTO or NFS scouts) traveling to any location, including a college campus to visit with a draft-eligible player
    NFL teams are permitted to conducted interviews with prospects via telephone or video conferences through the day prior to the draft -- scheduled April 23-25 in Las Vegas.

Per the memo, the following new restrictions are applicable to any telephone or video conference:
    -- Clubs can schedule no more than three telephone or video conferences with an individual draft-eligible player per week (Sunday through Saturday)
    -- Each telephone or video conference can last no longer than one hour
    -- Such telephone or video conference cannot be conducted at a time that interferes with the player'school schedule

The league also said that any team found in violation of the new guidelines will be subject to discipline.

~~~~

This tells me that an April draft is still on the table....even if with little fanfare. I can live with that.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-13-2020 at 12:45 PM.

it still will be telecasted with broadcasters likely, with all the reactions that come with each pick. Just no large fan attendance. To me this doesn't affect the draft at all, and may actually help move it along faster.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

With current technology this shouldn't be a big deal. The NFL should be working on setting up a situation right now that will allow team representatives to all sit in conference regardless of actual physical location, to facilitate trades and the declaration of draft picks. Let the commissioner announce picks and have a very brief virtual interview with draftees. No reason not to have a draft telecast that isn't drastically different from the one that they would have had anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    it still will be telecasted with broadcasters likely, with all the reactions that come with each pick. Just no large fan attendance. To me this doesn't affect the draft at all, and may actually help move it along faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    With current technology this shouldn't be a big deal. The NFL should be working on setting up a situation right now that will allow team representatives to all sit in conference regardless of actual physical location, to facilitate trades and the declaration of draft picks. Let the commissioner announce picks and have a very brief virtual interview with draftees. No reason not to have a draft telecast that isn't drastically different from the one that they would have had anyway.
    I agree.

The Draft itself should not be any kind of problem, other than some of the frills. My concern, though I do not see it as much of an obstacle, is Free Agency slowing things down....and only because of the lesser amount of face to face opportunity. BUT, I don't buy it, if it were to be true. They know what they know, and they can video conference, and they can call, and they can send messages, and so on. Teams know what players bring. And negotiations can be handled, without sitting in the same room.

And for me, if FA goes thru on time, the same should apply to meeting draftees. If you don't know who these guys are by now, you did not do your scouting.

I agree.

The Draft itself should not be any kind of problem, other than some of the frills. My concern, though I do not see it as much of an obstacle, is Free Agency slowing things down....and only because of the lesser amount of face to face opportunity. BUT, I don't buy it, if it were to be true. They know what they know, and they can video conference, and they can call, and they can send messages, and so on. Teams know what players bring. And negotiations can be handled, without sitting in the same room.

And for me, if FA goes thru on time, the same should apply to meeting draftees. If you don't know who these guys are by now, you did not do your scouting.
    I think Free Agency should be easier as far as player evaluation because you're dealing with guys who have tape that you can review.