• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Let’s just hope Elway remembers how to use his fax machine lol
    I thought that was call Dumervil? Was it Elways technologically ignorant old ass? Lol

Comment

• TheAsianPA
      Captain
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I agree.

The Draft itself should not be any kind of problem, other than some of the frills. My concern, though I do not see it as much of an obstacle, is Free Agency slowing things down....and only because of the lesser amount of face to face opportunity. BUT, I don't buy it, if it were to be true. They know what they know, and they can video conference, and they can call, and they can send messages, and so on. Teams know what players bring. And negotiations can be handled, without sitting in the same room.

And for me, if FA goes thru on time, the same should apply to meeting draftees. If you don't know who these guys are by now, you did not do your scouting.
      I can see it affecting free agency more than anything. However Fangio by far and away goes by the tape over any other aspect before signing anyone, so we may be affected less than other teams.
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
        I can see it affecting free agency more than anything. However Fangio by far and away goes by the tape over any other aspect before signing anyone, so we may be affected less than other teams.
        And yes, though I said FA might be the hold up, if it is delayed, I do believe teams know all the players, and have tape on whatever it is they need. So it comes down to basic "discussion/negotiation", and you do not have to be face to face to conduct that business. Seriously, there must be potential for private planes involved to some degree, with the best virus control.

Therefore, The NFL, who know how to make money, have an opportunity to carry on their offseason without threats of spreading the virus. I can see them following through, using the rules that are now in place.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

I think that, with a new Agreement ratified, FA should go ahead.....with the $ amounts kept out of the discussion until later date. This might soften the impact, given that folks may be more sensitive given the potential for wage losses. Just do the deals, announce the signings, and move on.

Part of this is just selfishness on my part, because we need some entertainment. But the fact that travel is limited, you can easily still go through with deals being made. Videos are allowed.

Comment

• Alaskajoe
            Bench Warmer
            • Jan 2009

Memo just went out to the clubs, NFL year to start on time. Free agency to go ahead as planned

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28908119/nfl-league-year-open-week-planned
            Last edited by Alaskajoe; 03-15-2020, 05:01 PM.
            I need more Oline, please and thank you

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Alaskajoe View Post
              Memo just went out to the clubs, NFL year to start on time. Free agency to go ahead as planned

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...n-week-planned
              This is what Adam S says:

NFL says NFLPA would not provide consent to move league year, per source.

NFLPA says: No one is traveling anyway. It’s not football activity, it’s deals. Everyone is working remotely. Let’s do our business remotely. And this could get worse before it gets better. So do it now.

~~~~~

I agree. Who thinks this is going to get better soon? I hope it does. So, work out deals, and prepare remotely. And conduct The Draft. If you have not done most of your homework on FAs and even draftees, what were you doing???

Comment

• skeeter01
                Football Immortal
                • Apr 2008

The show will go on as planned....!!!!!! YES

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                  The show will go on as planned....!!!!!! YES

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp
                  I was excited to see Goodell's message yesterday! We are talking 4 weeks less one day.....and all the build up to it, including usual path to the draft type of stories. Which will be very useful given the lack of sports these days, and our collective need for some good stuff.

Less than 4 weeks Bronco fans!!!!: The debates carry on, and the enthusiasm is not wavering! 4 weeks of mocks, preferences, hopes...pure fun, and loads of wrong predictions (read mine as an example)!!!

:thumb:

Comment

• JW7
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2009

So glad they moved forward with the draft as planned. This can be done remotely and safely. Gives us sports fans something to look forward to.
                    sigpic

Comment

• sra84
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2019

I too, am glad that the draft is going on as scheduled. I'm not buying that teams can't prepare. Everything has been shut down for basically 2 weeks. The season ended months ago for most teams and we all know that they have been scouting these prospects since last year. And let's be real, there are teams that do a poor job scouting, evaluating, drafting, etc., during a normal off-season each year. So, with the technological advantages they have today, compared to what GM's had decades ago, I don't see them being at a disadvantage.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                        I too, am glad that the draft is going on as scheduled. I'm not buying that teams can't prepare. Everything has been shut down for basically 2 weeks. The season ended months ago for most teams and we all know that they have been scouting these prospects since last year. And let's be real, there are teams that do a poor job scouting, evaluating, drafting, etc., during a normal off-season each year. So, with the technological advantages they have today, compared to what GM's had decades ago, I don't see them being at a disadvantage.
                        I think the issue is more on the interviews/medical side of things. I’m sure they’ve poured hours upon hours of time into the tape. There’s always things that come up in the medical history or the interviews especially for the guys that weren’t at the combine or the other pre draft stuff. I know it came out at the combine but Johnathan Allen and his arthritis is an example of this.

Having the draft as scheduled won’t effect much with the names that everybody knows but the lesser known prospects will probably take a hit as well as guys with injuries. Trey Adams was once considered an elite LT prospect and then a back injury ruined the rest of his college career. There’s a real chance he goes undrafted now due to not being able to fully delve into his medical record.

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                          Totally! If teams did not scout and even escalate activities given what was potentially on the horizon, it's on them. Sure you'd love to have another workout, or another talk, face to face. But given this window of opportunity, with Free Agency, and now The Draft, The NFL may be way ahead of most sports, who got caught during their actual seasons, and some with big playoffs nearby. The NFL, at this point, has dodged many of those bullets, and when you are walking that type of line, you proceed (as long as they social distance, and so forth). If not, you delay everything further, until we are allowed to become active again. FA and The Draft will be done, with at very least 90% validity (IMO), which would be a pretty darn good outcome, given life today.

Yes, in hindsight, some decisions will be challenged in terms of player selections, but tough luck. The rules are all the same. And as we mention, you have all the tape, some workouts, some interviews. You claim you have great scouts and those in charge. So trust that. Even playing field.

And had the league postponed FA and The Draft, I am not even sure how most folks would like hearing about big salaries, months from now, instead of on schedule. The logistics are fine (minus fans at The Draft) and the perception and image of guys getting rich is more palatable now than later.

And with any luck, maybe they even start the season on time, or with a very small delay.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                            Football Immortal
                            • May 2010

I think the issue is more on the interviews/medical side of things. I’m sure they’ve poured hours upon hours of time into the tape. There’s always things that come up in the medical history or the interviews especially for the guys that weren’t at the combine or the other pre draft stuff. I know it came out at the combine but Johnathan Allen and his arthritis is an example of this.

Having the draft as scheduled won’t effect much with the names that everybody knows but the lesser known prospects will probably take a hit as well as guys with injuries. Trey Adams was once considered an elite LT prospect and then a back injury ruined the rest of his college career. There’s a real chance he goes undrafted now due to not being able to fully delve into his medical record.
                            Medical is probably gonna be hard and push people down further then they normally would
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              Medical is probably gonna be hard and push people down further then they normally would
                              And that really sucks for those juniors that come out early despite not being highly thought of. A lot of those guys feel they don’t have a choice and need to get that nfl contract as soon as they can to provide for their family. The NCAA does need to do something about not paying there athletes, at the very least do something for the athletes coming from low income families

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                                Football Immortal
                                • May 2010

And that really sucks for those juniors that come out early despite not being highly thought of. A lot of those guys feel they don’t have a choice and need to get that nfl contract as soon as they can to provide for their family. The NCAA does need to do something about not paying there athletes, at the very least do something for the athletes coming from low income families
                                i think this pay to play act need to go into effect quicker. i feel it will help expecially at QB.

this draft season sucks in general for the players. i feel sorry for most of them. i feel like there will be some steals later in the draft though.
                                sigpic
                                oakland raders gm
                                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                                X