Page 3 of 174 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i think this pay to play act need to go into effect quicker. i feel it will help expecially at QB.

this draft season sucks in general for the players. i feel sorry for most of them. i feel like there will be some steals later in the draft though.
    I too feel sorry for the draftees, as I do for most employees. BUT, I have a feeling that a high % of those drafted feel a little more lucky than others in these times. If they get drafted, and in a reasonably accurate place for them, they have jobs and will be NFL players. Whereas many workers do not have that feeling of stability. Sure, the draft itself will be low key, but that pales in comparison to a society that is floating in waters unknown.

So I do agree that they are losing in some ways, and some will be punished because they did not get to sell themselves to the full. But overall they will have a job and a purpose, and I am sure most can handle the lack of fanfare at The Draft.

NFL.com is mostly old games and football player stories of late, but it shows regular NFL Access next week, and I sense that they will be getting more back to normal in terms of The Draft coming, and all the usual good stuff that precedes it. Probably having a small break, and then gearing up for player analysis, mocks and so on, now that it's confirmed a "go".

I get the whole medical checks being an issue, but, to postpone the draft, not knowing how things will progress over the next few weeks, could have a negative effect on the off-season. Not to mention, teams with new coaches and coordinators, are going to want to get right to work on their off-season programs ASAP, rather than having to go through the draft process, as soon as facilities open again.

Went back and watched Wills again (all the top 4 OTs really), I have to think this whole concern over him not picking up blocking schemes is a smokescreen. His movement skills are phenomenal and his work with his hands is the best in this class. I realize that says nothing about his ability to comprehend blocking schemes, but hes so talented I can see teams wanting him to drop. His ceiling may not be quite as high as the other 3 but his floor is incredibly high. Im still wary of switching him from RT to LT although since hed be on a rookie contract Id be ok with him starting over James at RT.

You cant teach what Becton has, but hes so incredibly raw and unrefined, hes going to need a ton of coaching. Although i suppose it may actually be possible for him to still dominate with his sheer physical ability. He looks more physically dominant to me than Quenton Nelson did coming out, if he can get some semblance of technique hell be top tier.

Wirfs has all the tools to be elite, unfortunately he really struggles against twists and stunts. I question his feel for the game as he looks out of place in space despite being so athletically gifted. Granted it should be an easy fix but Iowa is one of the top schools for olinemen, Im sure theyve tried coaching him up on recognizing these things, knowing when to take over on combo blocks, finishing your blocks, etc. Hes good but could be so much better and I see why hes being talked about as an OG.

And then theres Thomas who I think is the 2nd most pro ready guy behind Wills. His hand technique needs some work or hes going to get called for a lot of holding but hes got some incredible power in his lower body and will be an immediate asset in the run game. If hes there Im taking him. I think hed start immediately at LG while Risner kicks down to C. If Bolles doesnt get right, Thomas takes over at LT and we do some shuffling. Id probably take Thomas over Wills personally but thats because I prefer to be a running team.

3 Weeks To Go!!!

Bless him!

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Went back and watched Wills again (all the top 4 OTs really), I have to think this whole concern over him not picking up blocking schemes is a smokescreen. His movement skills are phenomenal and his work with his hands is the best in this class. I realize that says nothing about his ability to comprehend blocking schemes, but hes so talented I can see teams wanting him to drop. His ceiling may not be quite as high as the other 3 but his floor is incredibly high. Im still wary of switching him from RT to LT although since hed be on a rookie contract Id be ok with him starting over James at RT.

You cant teach what Becton has, but hes so incredibly raw and unrefined, hes going to need a ton of coaching. Although i suppose it may actually be possible for him to still dominate with his sheer physical ability. He looks more physically dominant to me than Quenton Nelson did coming out, if he can get some semblance of technique hell be top tier.

Wirfs has all the tools to be elite, unfortunately he really struggles against twists and stunts. I question his feel for the game as he looks out of place in space despite being so athletically gifted. Granted it should be an easy fix but Iowa is one of the top schools for olinemen, Im sure theyve tried coaching him up on recognizing these things, knowing when to take over on combo blocks, finishing your blocks, etc. Hes good but could be so much better and I see why hes being talked about as an OG.

And then theres Thomas who I think is the 2nd most pro ready guy behind Wills. His hand technique needs some work or hes going to get called for a lot of holding but hes got some incredible power in his lower body and will be an immediate asset in the run game. If hes there Im taking him. I think hed start immediately at LG while Risner kicks down to C. If Bolles doesnt get right, Thomas takes over at LT and we do some shuffling. Id probably take Thomas over Wills personally but thats because I prefer to be a running team.
    If we got another guard/ot type prospect he would probably start at rg with Glasgow moving to c. Taking he has experience at that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If we got another guard/ot type prospect he would probably start at rg with Glasgow moving to c. Taking he has experience at that spot.
    Risner also has experience at C and Id rather Thomas continue to play on the left side of the line since hed ultimately be the LT. And in that scenario if Bolles improves the oline is theoretically set for as long as James can stay healthy.

Risner also has experience at C and I’d rather Thomas continue to play on the left side of the line since he’d ultimately be the LT. And in that scenario if Bolles improves the oline is theoretically set for as long as James can stay healthy.
    honestly i would move thomas to LT and put Bolles at RG in my world. but i don't control the oline. just start thomas where he will be playing i would keep Risner at Gaurd. if i moved him to RG that would be fine

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    3 Weeks To Go!!!

Bless him!
    HA HA HA HA HA Just how I feel

Risner is not moving to C

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

This.

Something had to have gone terribly wrong for this to happen. Glas appears to be either the starting C or RG depending on the draft. Im guessing at this juncture C. Because of the Wilkerson resign and the desire to have hi at RG.

If Thomas is drafted....he is initially at minimum our swing tackle or better yet beats out Bolles in training camp and becomes our LT.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Dalton has college experience at C, but Glasgow has a couple of seasons worth of starts at C in the NFL. So, if anyone moves to C, it would more likely be Glasgow. Last year Dalton pulled quite a bit from LG and was pretty good at it and getting better. We'll see how much pulling Shurmur expects from his linemen, especially the Gs. Ultimately it's a question of who are the top five, and where is the best spot for each? Denver will add at least two or three more O-Linemen before the 90 man TC roster is set. We'll need to wait and see who they are before we have a clue who will be in the five, who will be #6, #7, etc.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    This.

Something had to have gone terribly wrong for this to happen. Glas appears to be either the starting C or RG depending on the draft. Im guessing at this juncture C. Because of the Wilkerson resign and the desire to have hi at RG.

If Thomas is drafted....he is initially at minimum our swing tackle or better yet beats out Bolles in training camp and becomes our LT.
    I disagree, if Thomas is at LG, it means that Bolles has improved considerably since the end of last season which would be the best possible thing we could ask for. And if thats the case Id rather have Thomas remain on the left side rather than going to RG, then moving back to LT once we let Bolles walk due to the big contract hed want. I also dont like the thought of having a 66 center whereas Risner is a shade under 65. It isnt a huge difference but leverage is very important especially at C and I think Risner wins that battle with Glasgow.

I disagree, if Thomas is at LG, it means that Bolles has improved considerably since the end of last season which would be the best possible thing we could ask for. And if that’s the case I’d rather have Thomas remain on the left side rather than going to RG, then moving back to LT once we let Bolles walk due to the big contract he’d want. I also don’t like the thought of having a 6’6” center whereas Risner is a shade under 6’5”. It isn’t a huge difference but leverage is very important especially at C and I think Risner wins that battle with Glasgow.
    Depends on where the length is located. Some O-Line coaches like Centers with long legs. Knee benders are usually preferred over waist benders. Who plays where will be determined by the best five shuffled to their best spots. Would love to hear Munchak talk about his guys.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Depends on where the length is located. Some O-Line coaches like Centers with long legs. Knee benders are usually preferred over waist benders. Who plays where will be determined by the best five shuffled to their best spots. Would love to hear Munchak talk about his guys.
    Was just discussing with a friend the desire to be a fly on the wall when Munchak and Shurmur get together to talk about the current Oline. Who do the have confidence in, who do they need to replace, do they prefer free agency or draft to prioritize the upgrades?

So many variables and so little idea of what they are thinking.

Just my biased opinion but I see it like this for the start of the season, changes are earned. Figure 10-12 realistically battling.

Would love to hear the Munchak preferred strategy.

Bolles/ Risner/ ? / Glasgow/ James

Depth:
    C- Morris, Rookie? , Falah
    OT- Wilkinson, Free agent , rookie? , Rodgers
    G- Schlottmann, ?