Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
    Terrible deal. Over-rated player.

Black mark on an otherwise outstanding off-season so far.

Barmwell's Take:

Melvin Gordon, RB, Denver Broncos
    The deal: Two years, $16 million
    Grade: D+

It's not quite the $10 million-per -year offer Gordon reportedly turned down from the Chargers around the time of his holdout, but with $13.5 million guaranteed, it's likely he sees the full $16 million from this new deal. In the end, there's probably not much difference between signing a four-year, $40 million deal with half of it guaranteed, which is likely where Gordon's Chargers deal would have landed, and signing this deal with a chance to hit free agency again after the salary cap rises in a couple of years.

For all of Gordon's versatility as a runner and receiver, though, he just hasn't been consistently healthy or good for very long as a pro. I covered his inconsistency before the 2019 season, noting that we had really seen one above-average season from him in four tries. Last season was a disaster, as Gordon's rate stats fell across the board after his return from the holdout. Simultaneously, the fumble concerns from his rookie season reappeared -- he fumbled four times on 204 touches, including a backbreaking fumble on the goal line to hand a victory to the Titans. The Chargers were better with Austin Ekeler on the field.

If Gordon fixes the fumble problem, stays healthy and runs and catches passes efficiently in the way he has once across his five seasons, the Broncos will get a solid return on their deal here. Instead, in the process of signing Gordon, they're diminishing the role of Phillip Lindsay, who has been more efficient than Gordon over the past two years. The Broncos want to keep Lindsay's workload down and will likely swap Gordon into the lineup for Royce Freeman, but the back half of a running back rotation isn't something the Broncos should be giving $13.5 million guaranteed, especially with their needs elsewhere. It might be generous to suggest Gordon is a league-average back, which is something Denver didn't need to prioritize.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Barmwell's Take:

Melvin Gordon, RB, Denver Broncos
    The deal: Two years, $16 million
    Grade: D+

It's not quite the $10 million-per -year offer Gordon reportedly turned down from the Chargers around the time of his holdout, but with $13.5 million guaranteed, it's likely he sees the full $16 million from this new deal. In the end, there's probably not much difference between signing a four-year, $40 million deal with half of it guaranteed, which is likely where Gordon's Chargers deal would have landed, and signing this deal with a chance to hit free agency again after the salary cap rises in a couple of years.

For all of Gordon's versatility as a runner and receiver, though, he just hasn't been consistently healthy or good for very long as a pro. I covered his inconsistency before the 2019 season, noting that we had really seen one above-average season from him in four tries. Last season was a disaster, as Gordon's rate stats fell across the board after his return from the holdout. Simultaneously, the fumble concerns from his rookie season reappeared -- he fumbled four times on 204 touches, including a backbreaking fumble on the goal line to hand a victory to the Titans. The Chargers were better with Austin Ekeler on the field.

If Gordon fixes the fumble problem, stays healthy and runs and catches passes efficiently in the way he has once across his five seasons, the Broncos will get a solid return on their deal here. Instead, in the process of signing Gordon, they're diminishing the role of Phillip Lindsay, who has been more efficient than Gordon over the past two years. The Broncos want to keep Lindsay's workload down and will likely swap Gordon into the lineup for Royce Freeman, but the back half of a running back rotation isn't something the Broncos should be giving $13.5 million guaranteed, especially with their needs elsewhere. It might be generous to suggest Gordon is a league-average back, which is something Denver didn't need to prioritize.
    I still question the signing but Barnwell has to be one of the biggest Anti-Broncos sports writers out there.

Ask yourself, did Denver's running game get better or worse? I think this is an obvious yes. I think this makes our O that much more dangerous. Especially if we get a guy like Ruggs. Lock is going to have so much talent around him

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Ask yourself, did Denver's running game get better or worse? I think this is an obvious yes. I think this makes our O that much more dangerous. Especially if we get a guy like Ruggs. Lock is going to have so much talent around him
    Exactly!! Who cares about the cost, they can afford it. The offense is going to be better than just good and still retain one of the better defense's

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Exactly!! Who cares about the cost, they can afford it. The offense is going to be better than just good and still retain one of the better defense's
    Yes....we all wanted Lock to have weapons, and with weapons, the Oline will not be such a source of concern. Heck, he was only sacked once per game, and as a rookie with limited time in the system. If that continues, and we added Gordon and possibly a CD Lamb or Jeudy or Ruggs III, expect much more O!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Terrible deal. Over-rated player.

Black mark on an otherwise outstanding off-season so far.
    A player who averaged 4.8 yards per carry against 8+ man boxes, scored 47 touchdowns in 4 years and is known as a good pass catcher out of the backfield, for an OC who loves to use his RBs to catch the ball is a black mark? That seems a little much.

I don't love the deal, but I don't hate it either. Not sure how anyone can feel so strongly about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    A player who averaged 4.8 yards per carry against 8+ man boxes, scored 47 touchdowns in 4 years and is known as a good pass catcher out of the backfield, for an OC who loves to use his RBs to catch the ball is a black mark? That seems a little much.

I don't love the deal, but I don't hate it either. Not sure how anyone can feel so strongly about it?
    Thank you...voice of reason

I think Phillip Lindsay will have a great year this year. Hopefully we can have a decent running game.

Just heard Remmers has agreed to sign with KC.

Iím so loving this, we all remember Super Bowl 50 and now we get to see him twice a year!

Quote Originally Posted by DN1218 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of excitement judging from the comments. lol.

Does this deal with Gordon make Philip Lindsey expendable? I see a lot of ppl saying "itll be a nice one two punch" or "Freeman is now on the trading block". Wouldnt Lindsey command significantly more than Freeman?

Im not saying that we can afford to lose Lindsey, I mean why pay Gordon so much just to trade lindsey but I wouldn't be surprised to see Elway attempt to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Does this deal with Gordon make Philip Lindsey expendable? I see a lot of ppl saying "itll be a nice one two punch" or "Freeman is now on the trading block". Wouldnt Lindsey command significantly more than Freeman?

Im not saying that we can afford to lose Lindsey, I mean why pay Gordon so much just to trade lindsey but I wouldn't be surprised to see Elway attempt to move him.
    I would hope not because at this point in their careers Lindsay >> Gordon. That's why this move doesn't make sense to me.

no way Lindsay is leaving for

1 he is really really good

2 he is making peanuts per NFL money

3 Gordon never stays healthy