Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos Trade Janovich for a 7th.

Why?

I have no clue.

Sent to Cleveland BTW:
    Last edited by Gsam; 03-17-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Shurmur doesnít use FBís as far as I know. So thatís likely why Jano was traded.

Agree, why? Whatís the point for a 7th

I never understood why he was a fan favorite, and his re-upping last year only to trade him.

I'm glad he's gone.

I wonder if Freeman or Beck can fill in at FB?

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Agree, why? What’s the point for a 7th
    We just extended him through 2022 last season. Are they taking his contract too? My guess at least - I haven't heard otherwise.

Beck supposedly can fill that role for far less. This is a cap space move to sign a few more players while also getting a pick.

That being said Janovich was a great player for us. Run game was always better when he was on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    We just extended him through 2022 last season. Are they taking his contract too? My guess at least - I haven't heard otherwise.
    As far as I can tell, there was an opt out clause for 2020 so at the most we might have a dead cap hit of $1.5 million if Cleveland isn't picking that up. I don't know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    I never understood why he was a fan favorite, and his re-upping last year only to trade him.

I'm glad he's gone.

Beck already played Fullback which is probably what made Janovich expendable. Beck can also play Y, Z, H and STs. Janovich had a couple of seasons cut short by injury. Less usage of two back formations eliminates the need for depth at FB. It is possible Beck would have beaten Janovich for a roster spot. Better to trade for a pick.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-17-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Ugh. Sucks for me because I loved watching him play. He was very good at what he did, and I appreciate what he brought to the field for my Broncos. I wish him well in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Beck already played Fullback which is probably what made Janovich expendable. Beck can also play Y, Z, H and STs. Janovich had a couple of seasons cut short by injury. Less usage of two back formations eliminates the need for depth at FB. It is possible Beck would have beatenJanovich for a roster spot. Better to trade for a pick.
    Agreed.

The 7th rounder is for 2021. lol

Jano was expendable since Shurmur doesn't use FB. $1,450,000 and $1,600,000 savings for 2020 and 2021. We likely would have cut him if we didn't trade him. By trading we save $1,150,000 in cap space for 2020 vs. cutting, plus we get something back in return.

His trade value was never going to be very high as he's one of the top 5 paid FB's in a league that barely uses them.

Agreed.

The 7th rounder is for 2021. lol
    Not many Fullbacks are drafted. Many of them on current rosters weren't. Andrew Beck is more versatile than Andy Janovich, and is a Y, H, Z, FB, special teamer who wasn't.

I'm glad he's gone.

We traded him because we donít use a FB. It was a good extension if we were sticking with the scheme, heís a great lead blocker, has good hands and can run when his number is called.

An early sign that the players will have to adapt to the system, rather than building a system to fit the strengths of the players?

I can see both sides of this one. Although he did provide a boost to the run game, as well as contribute on special teams, he was also injured frequently and destined to be used less under Shurmur.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    An early sign that the players will have to adapt to the system, rather than building a system to fit the strengths of the players?

I can see both sides of this one. Although he did provide a boost to the run game, as well as contribute on special teams, he was also injured frequently and destined to be used less under Shurmur.
    A sign that instead of forcing players that dont fit into a scheme, we are trying to get players with strengths for the scheme. As much as i loved Andy, he was always hurt, good move if we arent going to utilize him when he is healthy.

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet