Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Social "Undistancing"

I am sure I did not invent this term, but it just came to me. It stems from some of the commentary I have picked up on in various places, therefore the term may be new (to me) but not the concept.

In times such as this when we are being asked to distance ourselves, and for intelligent health reasons, it can lead to some forms of mental stress. Too much alone time. Too much time to worry about things, even if there is nothing to worry about. Too much loss of interaction with others, rather some form of actual "concern" for others. Not like us to be so "distant".

But most of us can at least appreciate what technology has provided, via social media. Not like when I was growing up, when we would have been stymied. Then again, we were a different world back then, with less need for now, and more appreciation perhaps for the smallest of things. And my parents' generation was much better that way than we were.

But I urge folks to stay connected via technology. Help one another by being there for them. It's time to social "undistance", and we can. Hey, we may not be fully physical, but we are there, at any time, and from pretty much anywhere. And though I question the direction and some of the negative aspects of such technology, in this climate, I am very appreciative.

Be kind folks, Stay connected, and spread as much positivity and support as you can.

Last edited by CanDB; 03-17-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am sure I did not invent this term, but it just came to me. It stems from some of the commentary I have picked up on in various places, therefore the term may be new (to me) but not the concept.

In times such as this when we are being asked to distance ourselves, and for intelligent health reasons, it can lead to some forms of mental stress. Too much alone time. Too much time to worry about things, even if there is nothing to worry about. Too much loss of interaction with others, rather some form of actual "concern" for others. Not like us to be so "distant".

But most of us can at least appreciate what technology has provided, via social media. Not like when I was growing up, when we would have been stymied. Then again, we were a different world back then, with less need for now, and more appreciation perhaps for the smallest of things. And my parents' generation was much better that way than we were.

But I urge folks to stay connected via technology. Help one another by being there for them. It's time to social "undistance", and we can. Hey, we may not be fully physical, but we are there, at any time, and from pretty much anywhere. And though I question the direction and some of the negative aspects of such technology, in this climate, I am very appreciative.

Be kind folks, Stay connected, and spread as much positivity and support as you can.

Great thoughts CanDB. Internet will be valuable.
    Here in Wales we have an fb group called CR-ONA. It's a pun like title. "Cr" means "Choir" and "One" is "Away".
    People post musical videos etc to encourage one another.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Fist time I can remember recently when we talked to both our kids on the same day, from their homes in TO, I suspect we will talk more often for a while. Talk about anything!

And my daughter, her bf and I will be doing some Facetime sessions every so often. I have mentioned, but she lives north of the border and he, south. I feel for them. BUT, they are lining up various types of "dates". Be creative I always say. And necessity is the mother of invention. Heck, they are even cooking together! Cool! I told her it is a much more interactive world then when her Mom and I grew up. They are lucky that way. When folks were separated, they relied on letters.

Stay distant (6 feet) but stay close!

BTW.....time to dig up some old video games. I used to love Tiger Woods golf, which I had for years, but it doesn't work anymore. Need to have games that you can't put down! My wife and I have a huge jigsaw puzzle that we were given, that looks crazy hard, with 2000 pieces. YES, that's coming out in a day or two!!

Dave, be careful please with your new username title.... I'd hate to not be able to communicate with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Dave, be careful please with your new username title.... I'd hate to not be able to communicate with ya.
    I hear ya Brent! We are having some great conversations!!

With all the video conference calls going on, to keep business going, I ponder, Will lots of folks wear decent tops, but consider just going shorts below? If so, and if you are involved, please remember not to stand up at any point in the call, or you might "bare" the consequences!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    With all the video conference calls going on, to keep business going, I ponder, Will lots of folks wear decent tops, but consider just going shorts below? If so, and if you are involved, please remember not to stand up at any point in the call, or you might "bare" the consequences!!!

i always turn my camera off. pjs all day!!!

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by dipablo View Post
    i always turn my camera off. pjs all day!!!
    Maybe the business world will throw a change up for a while, on the video meetings.....

Super Casual Mondays thru Fridays,

Went for a nice walk with the dog. Spring is starting to happen, and the air smells sweet. We have a wonderful park next door, path like more so than open area. Near the river. Lots of trees and interesting wild vegetation.

I do not walk close to anyone, and I sense that's the norm. But when we pass, even though often perfect strangers, the greetings are more heartfelt than ever. Even a simple wave holds more meaning. There is a sense of community, even though we are many yards apart.

Hey folks....I am lucky, because I get to hunker down with one of the best people on this planet. She never complains. She never asks for much of anything. A significant birthday is coming soon, but the trip is cancelled, and we can't do too much of anything, although there will be cake!!! But she is completely cool about it...like everything else. She is a rock.

So I am lucky.

But if anyone wants to chat here, if you need to vent or seek support...count me in. Undistance yourself. Take a load off.

Based on certain current pics I've seen, with people closely congregated at beaches for example, I am not sure that they've been reading/listening to the news of late. I would suggest folks do not "distance" themselves from everything....as in, what is recommended.

My ole buds are planning our first 5 way Facetime, probably tomorrow. Not quite the same as a coffee outing, but about now, as good as it gets!

Will have coffee....some cookies and muffins in the place will do fine!!

Another positive....my wife baked some cinnamon buns today, and the place smells great!! Even my boring bread has a decent aroma.

Staying home can be very nice that way.